• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've never been annoyed this much watching otherwise excellent racing or in fact any sailing ever.  The sailors and sailing are awesome, boats are good for trashing around short courses - how can

Some of you are truly amusing. Let's start with a simple truth. This event was probably the best televised sailing I have ever seen. Sure, there is room for improvement but the racing was epic, t

i didnt bag the ac dipshit. quite strangely you identify yourself with that event and you feel like if someone bags on you, that means the event. i thought it was good. you on the other hand must be f

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Still going with km/h. Well, pretty resistant to learning.

Not resistant to learning, they don't see sailors as the core audience. 

2 minutes ago, Potter said:

That'y why it's not necessary to educate non-sailors in sailing terms?
How did car drivers that like F1 learn "curbs" instead of using "shoulder"? They must be a lot more intelligent than non-sailors that like SGP.

26 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

is there a site to watch this live on you tube?? or elsewhere

However, geo-blocked in some countries.... like Australia. 

Go VPN if blocked.

The key move was tacking to leeward of Japan , so that they could foot and get on foils,  then ducking and waving into the first place coming back on port on foils. Jimmy credits Rome for the call.

2 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Poor Slinger..! 

I guess Nathan had more than his fair share of technical difficulties last season. Maybe now it's Tom's turn? Will be interesting to see if they can bounce back. 

Good to watch, with tomorrow forecast it will even more fun.

Sptithill did well

The Brits lost with Ben's departure

The Kiwis did much better with the Swiss guy

The French finished better after a slow start

We can expect the Australian to do much better tomorrow

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Good to watch, with tomorrow forecast it will even more fun.

Sptithill did well

The Brits lost with Ben's departure

The Kiwis did much better with the Swiss guy

The French finished better after a slow start

We can expect the Australian to do much better tomorrow

True but the Podium Race is out of reach for them

Opera Momentaufnahme_2021-06-05_155422_sailgp.com.png

8 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

True but the Podium Race is out of reach for them

Opera Momentaufnahme_2021-06-05_155422_sailgp.com.png

Some will scream here but the todays results and last ones may explain why TNZ did not want cats in the AC.

BTW, funny to see barfidiot trying to revive the other thread with his usual bright comments :)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Some will scream here but the todays results and last ones may explain why TNZ did not want cats in the AC.

Completely weird statement. The Kiwis almost won in SF with a cat and actually won in Bermuda with one.

5 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Completely weird statement. The Kiwis almost won in SF with a cat and actually won in Bermuda with one. Look at what they do in one design with two different crews.

They lost in SF and won in Bermudas because of the design.

3 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Which was a cat.

LOL, the Kiwis did not win BDA in 2017 because it was a Cat. They won because of their Control Systems (Ashbys X-Box Device) and the Cyclors of course.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

BTW, funny to see barfidiot trying to revive the other thread with his usual bright comments :)

The NZL SailGP either with Burling or without him won't win this Trophy!

The objective for the British Team tomorrow is to finish 4th I guess. They are only 2 Points behind France.

3 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Helm, flight, and trimmer I guess....suppose they've got batteries for hydraulic power?

Yes on the way to big 3D e sailing. Cheaper.

Greek Swiss kiwi of convenience looked far more at home than the previous incumbent.  To manage that with two less crew than the previous event in a class he had never helmed/been anywhere near? Far better than pistol.. 

6 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Why 3 crew?

Light Wind! They have the Option now sailing only with 3 when it gets light because of better Take Off Time!

3 hours ago, Potter said:

Well, crazy if they think non sailors don’t watch because they don’t understand knots. Nuts. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Weight.

So every single boat decided on 3 crew to save weight?

Would 5 skinny crew not be a better option? 

Surprised me how damn well USA performed, that crew was really good and their 3rd start was stellar. Being tied with JPN is impressive.

Rough day for (probably the best crew) AUS, shocker.. 

Most teams had their good moments and performance was pretty decent despite the light airs, thoroughly enjoyed watching today's racing. Let's hope they fix the issue with heli!

17 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

fwiw,

263733827_TarantoDay12021-06-05082344.thumb.png.dedaf9a223aea0b1dc8676d62d4225f2.png

Aussies must have had continuing hydraulic issues.  Only 5 maneuvers, and watching a bit of their stern camera, they didn't appear to be trimming the wing much.

1 hour ago, dogwatch said:

So every single boat decided on 3 crew to save weight?

Would 5 skinny crew not be a better option? 

The league decides boat configuration and every boat is the same.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Very not in line with the greenwashing of the series.

Agreed, those damn Ities! 

I think this week or weekend is some kind of Italian national celebration. There are jets exhausting the TriColore streams above other regions too including Roma. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Liquid said:

Only 3 crew?? Why ever sail with 5?

Funny, JS got asked that question during a from-onboard interview after R3, "Would you like to go with 3 or 5 tomorrow?" and he said "I think Rome wants the other two back!" and both CJ and Rome laughed in agreement.

But yes, they sailed it superbly today with just the 3, although perhaps they'd have completed the courses faster with 5. They went 1-4-1 and in that R2 they were leading until hitting a hole at the top left of L5, where they went to in all 3 races - twice with big success. Their low-fast mode led to extraordinarily good foiling tacks, Rome (Season 1 helm) was a very busy man! 

1 hour ago, Liquid said:

Only 3 crew?? Why ever sail with 5?

What's next, remote control?

18 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Funny, JS got asked that question during a from-onboard interview after R3, "Would you like to go with 3 or 5 tomorrow?" and he said "I think Rome wants the other two back!" and both CJ and Rome laughed in agreement.

But yes, they sailed it superbly today with just the 3, although perhaps they'd have completed the courses faster with 5. They went 1-4-1 and in that R2 they were leading until hitting a hole at the top left of L5, where they went to in all 3 races - twice with big success. Their low-fast mode led to extraordinarily good foiling tacks, Rome (Season 1 helm) was a very busy man! 

Finally saw it and that was wild with just 3. 
I would think you would want at least 1 dedicated grinder, 1 Main trimmer, 1 Foil/jib trimmer and the Driver/foil????? seems that the latter 2 trade off the foiling and jib on some of the boats.

It was to fun watch.

Fast is Fun

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

https://puu.sh/HMyGy/b914a5be51.jpg

yeah, this didn't look very comfortable for RK...

6 minutes ago, crashtack said:

yeah, this didn't look very comfortable for RK...

Teams appeared to be handling the short-handed roles differently. Nathan took on a lot to allow his grinder to focus on power while Draper focused mostly on wing trim. Credit to Nate for how well that worked, especially after Draper took over from Cecco.

At the end of today's broadcast they said the wind forecast for tomorrow is a little stronger, still from the SSW but at 20kph gusting to 25kph, 11-14 knots. 

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Some good race watching - thank the universe for Fast Forward!

They proved it can be done with only 3 and I liked that they had to struggle to multi task! So, the pros are human too...

Just change the cockpit config and why not sail with only 3.

SailGP should get honest and do away with the pedestal and use 100% battery power. Shit, they could claim the batteries were charged via wind farms over night! 

• Like 1

Maloney

“The gains have been massive, and we learned so much today that we’ll debrief and come out even better tomorrow. Hopefully there’s a little more breeze, and we can sail with a full crew tomorrow and get the big boys on board so they can help us out but if not we’ll be ready for it as well.”

New Zealand in striking distance at SailGP Italy | Stuff.co.nz

They are now going to give prize money to the podium teams each regatta, in addition to the $1million.

I guess "big purses excite the fans? Or oddsmakers?

4 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

They are now going to give prize money to the podium teams each regatta, in addition to the $1million.

Whatever the reason, I'm for it :)

Hopefully it trickles down to the sailors/teams.

10 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Still banging on with their green credentials..........

I wonder if the planes moving all the teams and boats around the world use solar panels as well.....

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I have the great honour of being blocked by barfidiot....I must be ok then...

• Like 1
8 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

LOL, the Kiwis did not win BDA in 2017 because it was a Cat. They won because of their Control Systems (Ashbys X-Box Device) and the Cyclors of course.

Does that not all come under design?

57 minutes ago, Liquid said:

They proved it can be done with only 3 and I liked that they had to struggle to multi task! So, the pros are human too...

SailGP should get honest and do away with the pedestal and use 100% battery power. Shit, they could claim the batteries were charged via wind farms over night! 

They might even claim night solar panels.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, dullers said:

They might even claim night solar panels.

SailGP invested in solar panels and Tesla Wall battery systems, for in case you do want to look it up.

43 minutes ago, dullers said:

If that fucking idiot is to be believed then he has blocked every single poster on here multiple times. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Are there any odds published? That would be interesting.

1 hour ago, dullers said:

He is the one who claims to have blocked me and comments my posts on a regular basis, the one that demonstrated the secret AC72 foil control system, the one who most ofter likes Four, you are ok...

• Like 1

Did anyone happen to see any of them foiling in 4knts with their super lightweight foils as claimed by Coutts ? I only saw them falling off their foils repeatedly in about 8-10knts even with only 3 crew.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, barfy said:

Are there any odds published? That would be interesting.

Aren't they paying everyone already - including the media coverage? I still won't care and will watch regardless of prize $ - cause it's sailing...

Could you imagine the NFL announces that Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes will miss a few games so they can pursue their side hustles as Arena Football QBs? Oh and they are taking their top receivers with them.

How do you bet on a regatta where you can win the weekend without actually winning a 5 race pre-regatta due to the epicly STUPID finals race... no wonder sailors leave this gig to pump their resume to up their future daily $!

Hey, at least SailGP has "nationality" to rest on........

Thought the coverage was pretty poor but a lot of the blame goes to having no helicopter vision due to tech issues. Was also obvious Australia's boat wasn't fully repaired and Slingsby had a shocker when he was sailing. Perhaps the lighter conditions just don't make it as exciting as it could be. The most exciting part of the races has been the start and the 1st leg. 

2 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Those were some fun races.  Nice to see sailing skills be a factor in winning races.

Unless your boat doesn't work

1 hour ago, Liquid said:

Aren't they paying everyone already - including the media coverage? I still won't care and will watch regardless of prize $ - cause it's sailing...

Could you imagine the NFL announces that Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes will miss a few games so they can pursue their side hustles as Arena Football QBs? Oh and they are taking their top receivers with them.

How do you bet on a regatta where you can win the weekend without actually winning a 5 race pre-regatta due to the epicly STUPID finals race... no wonder sailors leave this gig to pump their resume to up their future daily $!

Hey, at least SailGP has "nationality" to rest on........

I'll still watch as well , but after 24 hours. Im content to follow the action from comments here, but not so eager as to get a VPN or pay to watch.

Edit: too right about the betting. And with the unknown quantity of "training handicap" being applied it would be difficult to make honest book on it. Why one poster here likens it to a reality show ha ha.

Hey peeps, question for NZ audiences. The SailGP website is fucking useless - their scheduled times to watch the replays were incorrect today ... I found myself watching netball highlights. Can anyone confirm what time the live racing will start on Sky tonight? 

I'd like to watch it live but I'm not staying up if they can't publish the times correctly. 

* I've still got to "steal" it thanks to the ridiculous paywall bullshit

* ps - fuck you SailGP, you're so close to getting it right - concentrate on the details

19 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Hey peeps, question for NZ audiences. The SailGP website is fucking useless - their scheduled times to watch the replays were incorrect today ... I found myself watching netball highlights. Can anyone confirm what time the live racing will start on Sky tonight? 

I'd like to watch it live but I'm not staying up if they can't publish the times correctly. 

* I've still got to "steal" it thanks to the ridiculous paywall bullshit

* ps - fuck you SailGP, you're so close to getting it right - concentrate on the details

In Aus it is televised at 9.30, so that would be 11.30pm NZ.  No idea if that is live, don’t really care, as I will watch it tomorrow so I can fast forward most of it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, crashtack said:

Does anyone know why Bruni was benched after R1? Pretty strange decision when he's the only Italian in the event.

I reckon draper has better F50 all round experience. Bruni was helm.

Maybe crew weight? Wonder who the lightest 3man combo was.

Still no ladies on board.

14 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

The league decides boat configuration and every boat is the same.

OK, thanks. It would be more interesting if boats made their own decisions.

8 hours ago, Liquid said:

It's a job measure,so crew reduction would be counterproductive. 

16 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Kiwis sailed well in, Race 1 today.

Better than with fours Ateam on board.. the magic fern converting the Swiss Greek chap to full kiwi.. conversion was complete by the second race with a shit show so maintaining Bermuda standards. 

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Kiwis sailed well in, Race 1 today.

Have I missed it? Thought it started later...  Can't find a YT link either.  :(

11 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Have I missed it? Thought it started later...  Can't find a YT link either. 

Day two hasn't happened yet, 9.30pm Aus Eastern time.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dogwatch said:

OK, thanks. It would be more interesting if boats made their own decisions.

I think the one design nature of the event is one of the big appeals.

If the competition could choose different crew weights and different rigs, it might reduce that element. 

7 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Thanks!

Got confused by @Sailbydate's post an hour ago: "Kiwis sailed well in, Race 1 today."

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

No wonder YT wasn't returning anything from my search for the Live event.... hadn't started the VPN.

2 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

No wonder YT wasn't returning anything from my search for the Live event.... hadn't started the VPN.

Day two stream has started......

41 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

I think the one design nature of the event is one of the big appeals.

If the competition could choose different crew weights and different rigs, it might reduce that element. 

I didn't say anything about different rigs.

One design is about the boat, not the crew.