6 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

I meant the large chunk of Alinghi (2 out of 3 people on the boat) that recorded the first win for team ocean defender (the Kiwis)

are they getting another go or being swiftly moved aside incase they have any more awkward results.

Your news sounds better though, although Goodie is in the UK so is that him out of any Alinghi future plans?

Goodie couldn't sail for Alinghi. He could only sail for Ineos(passport) or American Magic(previous team)

(under the rumored nationality rules). 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to stop and take a photo of this today (not like I'm pushed for time during lockdown ). Looks like my youngest likes SailGP. Perhaps the boats are just easier to build with lego than the foiling

Some of you are truly amusing. Let's start with a simple truth. This event was probably the best televised sailing I have ever seen. Sure, there is room for improvement but the racing was epic, t

i didnt bag the ac dipshit. quite strangely you identify yourself with that event and you feel like if someone bags on you, that means the event. i thought it was good. you on the other hand must be f

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

Goodie couldn't sail for Alinghi. He could only sail for Ineos(passport) or American Magic(previous team)

Dont the eligibility rules prevent the large portion of AM  switching to Alinghi also? 

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2021/07/12/changes-needed-to-sailgp-format/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0-2WqwTJOhjRNIjWqFGR9B52liyJbD3djQ8yA70b7Ims4QbBDIYVJ93jI

Changes needed to SailGP format

....the original SailGP concept was “nation against nation” with strict rules about home-grown sailors competing against one another. This strongly popular idea, with some exceptions for weaker sailing countries to develop their team, has been abandoned. Why? I believe to include so-called sailing “rockstars” on each team. However, the “rockstar” additions are recognized by very few fans and the popular country vs country rivalry is gone along with fan interest. I believe overall popularity is suffering this year for this reason...

33 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2021/07/12/changes-needed-to-sailgp-format/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0-2WqwTJOhjRNIjWqFGR9B52liyJbD3djQ8yA70b7Ims4QbBDIYVJ93jI

Changes needed to SailGP format

....the original SailGP concept was “nation against nation” with strict rules about home-grown sailors competing against one another. This strongly popular idea, with some exceptions for weaker sailing countries to develop their team, has been abandoned. Why? I believe to include so-called sailing “rockstars” on each team. However, the “rockstar” additions are recognized by very few fans and the popular country vs country rivalry is gone along with fan interest. I believe overall popularity is suffering this year for this reason...

The author any relation to Taylor Canfield? 
could explain the view somewhat.. his boy didn’t get a go

9 hours ago, Chobani Sailor said:

Or possibly Italy, his wife is Italian, he lives in Italy, its possible he has the passport already (UK allows dual citizenship) but no one so far knows if he does or not.

So after I dismissed the forecast of a week ago for light, I can confirm the forecast this weekend is in fact for light and shiite. Some chance of sea-breeze reinforcement, I'd have thought, but forecasters don't agree.

• Like 1
On 7/14/2021 at 11:19 AM, chesirecat said:

Congratulations to Ben and Georgie on their new baby.

oh, nice one. why the secrecy though? very common these days for sportsmen to take time off from club and country for paternity leave. (insert some playground joke about the kid having red hair and looking like a bulldog)

If you can't sail to win, you can hawk bamboo straws and reusable cups. Whilst hauling 60 containers around in solar powered planes...er ships...er nevermind.

Two separate but equal podiums. NZ wins! Not to denigrate green but greenwashing and "hey we didn't join up to be last"

https://sailgp.com/general/race-for-the-future/impact-league/overview/

2 hours ago, shebeen said:

oh, nice one. why the secrecy though? very common these days for sportsmen to take time off from club and country for paternity leave. (insert some playground joke about the kid having red hair and looking like a bulldog)

Why the secrecy? Because things still can go wrong. Because it's a highly private situation. Because it has nothing to do with his sailing jobs.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

Why the secrecy? Because things still can go wrong. Because it's a highly private situation. Because it has nothing to do with his sailing jobs.

100%

maybe he didn't feel like explaining himself to a bunch of pricks that thought he was fucking the nanny while he was in NZ.

• Like 3

British POWER GIRLS are coming this Weekend!

Curious whom Ben will select to join the British Team Full Time!
It could be one of those 4. It also could be Hannah Mills or Anna Burnett.
2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

British POWER GIRLS are coming this Weekend!

Curious whom Ben will select to join the British Team Full Time!
It could be one of those 4. It also could be Hannah Mills or Anna Burnett.

The only certainty is that neither you or Magnus will get within 100ft of him or the team. 

restraining orders etc.;-)

Regarding Paul Goodison:

I would be very surprised if he doesn't sail for INEOS TEAM UK in AC37. I don't think it was a coincidence that Ben asked him as Replacement for the SailGP Events in Taranto and Plymouth!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

100%

maybe he didn't feel like explaining himself to a bunch of pricks that thought he was fucking the nanny while he was in NZ.

Well not really, it would be more like the poolboy and his wife at home whilst he was away in NZ, but I get your point. My feeling is the cryptic wording of him being away for two regattas was unnecessary, but it's a personal choice and I'm sure he had advice on it as a public person.

Anyway, back to the sailing. 

5 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

The French had Zara Tindall on their boat. She's Princess Anne's daughter. 

and is an olympic medallist.

18 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Yes. And tough. Had her recent baby on the bathroom floor. 

Indeed, delivered by her husband Mike, of ex-England rugby World Cup winning fame. Always liked them as a couple. Down to earth, etc.

Has there been any news about the extra wing segment, increasing the wing's height from 24m to 29m?

12 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Looks like YT has other information/graphics than the commentators. DK was not OCS on YT, but for the umps and commentators they were.

My understanding is that the graphics we're seeing are not 100% accurate.

10 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

It dropped to around 7kts from around 9kts.

Thanks

Might watch it tomorrow at 2x speed to make it exciting 

Seems like JPN may have some tech probs.   They're not only losing the starts badly, but also not making any gains during the races.

Something is amiss?

Dumb move from Phil. Jimmy was clearly not impressed......I doubt Russell is either......won't help his chances of staying on the boat, unless they want a clown aspect to the racing.

• Like 1

Less than 5k watching on YT. That has to be a bit concerning to data obsessed Russell. Listening to that podcast with Russ, clearly the corporate model is slick and a credit to him, I just think the product doesn't match the hype - and I'm a sailing fan. Whether it's going to sustain the interest of non sailors - whom they're targeting - is doubtful in my opinion. They probably need some breezy venues, and ensuing carnage to pep it up a bit.....

4 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Less than 5k watching on YT. That has to be a bit concerning to data obsessed Russell. Listening to that podcast with Russ, clearly the corporate model is slick and a credit to him, I just think the product doesn't match the hype - and I'm a sailing fan. Whether it's going to sustain the interest of non sailors - whom they're targeting - is doubtful in my opinion. They probably need some breezy venues, and ensuing carnage to pep it up a bit.....

No worries, the official numbers will add up to 5B miraculously. China cannot watch YT, so probably 1B alone comes from a unique China video channel.

The racing today was a bit underwhelming, but that just shows that SGP has the same issues as any other regatta, good and bad days, interesting and uninteresting days.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

The racing today was a bit underwhelming,

The podcast had suggestions that the teams were going to have the sort of financial value that we see in football - or approaching in that direction. Utterly fanciful imo. The whole event is emotionally flat for me - maybe because there's nothing really at stake? I get more excited watching my cat bully the dog.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

For what it's worth, I was watching on our satellite TV. 

Bit hard to find the overnight leaderboard on the web site. Sure Freddie's abacus will be on song tomorrow

Like most of us here I'd prefer to hear more of the comm feeds off the boats but all in all thought it was a really good race day. Thanks gawd the wind filled in, those were gorgeous conditions.

Regarding the Great Britain SailGP Team:

Having only an Average Helmsman (Paul Goodison) compared to a World Class Helmsman (Ben Ainslie) does make a HUGE DIFFERENCE when racing in SailGP.

Goodison messed up 7 of the 8 Starts over 3 Days in Taranto & Plymouth!!!

They need Ainslie back ASAP!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

They've dropped Stevie from the commentary - which is good. Sad to see Freddy talking up the excitement, and all the other stupid talking points.

Dropped or Coaching team GB in Tokyo… ;-) 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Regarding the Great Britain SailGP Team:

Having only an Average Helmsman (Paul Goodison) compared to a World Class Helmsman (Ben Ainslie) does make a HUGE DIFFERENCE when racing in SailGP.

Goodison messed up 7 of the 8 Starts over 3 Days in Taranto & Plymouth!!!

They need Ainslie back ASAP!

In Race 3 today Goodison beat everyone off the line and to Mark 1, impressive. 

3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

In Race 3 today Goodison beat everyone off the line and to Mark 1, impressive. 

Yeah but in Italy + Races 1 & 2 here in Plymouth he messed it up.

I guess the silver lining for the Brits is that there are only 3 Points between 4th and 8th! If they can finish 4th regardless if Australia wins it they would still top the Season Leaderboard heading into Aarhus!

1 hour ago, shebeen said:

For what it's worth, I was watching on our satellite TV. 

It's probably on FTA in various places, as well as the app. I wasn't implying the YT numbers were the viewing sum total, just that they seemed pretty low. AC36 was getting 30k+ on YT.

2 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

The podcast had suggestions that the teams were going to have the sort of financial value that we see in football - or approaching in that direction. Utterly fanciful imo. The whole event is emotionally flat for me - maybe because there's nothing really at stake? I get more excited watching my cat bully the dog.

Of Course there is nothing at stake at the moment. We haven't even completed the 3rd of 9 Events. Overall Season Leaderboard will remain tight!

On 7/15/2021 at 11:44 PM, dg_sailingfan said:

Regarding Paul Goodison:

I would be very surprised if he doesn't sail for INEOS TEAM UK in AC37. I don't think it was a coincidence that Ben asked him as Replacement for the SailGP Events in Taranto and Plymouth!

I agree that it was not a coincidence.

But I think all the chat about Goody as a replacement helm for Ben in the AC have been put to rest. It aint happening.

3 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

It's probably on FTA in various places, as well as the app. I wasn't implying the YT numbers were the viewing sum total, just that they seemed pretty low. AC36 was getting 30k+ on YT.

Two bald men fighting over a comb.

The Great Britain SailGP Team picked up two Penalty Points and therefore got relegated to last place with only 8 Points. For what?

21 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

The Great Britain SailGP Team picked up two Penalty Points and therefore got relegated to last place with only 8 Points. For what?

Announcers said a collision.

2 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

And TNZ magically turned 30000 into a billion viewers. 5k seems decent in comparison. 150 million for SGP? 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, porthos said:

Announcers said a collision.

These new Umpires are so "Inconsistent" in their Rulings it's a joke tbh! The Brits were already penalised during the Race. Why put even more Penalties on them!

17 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

These new Umpires are so "Inconsistent" in their Rulings it's a joke tbh! The Brits were already penalised during the Race. Why put even more Penalties on them!

Simple. If you break a rule, you get penalized. Is there some part of that you aren’t clear about?

The umpires are the same ones that have been doing this since day one. They are primarily the same umpires that do the AC. This ain’t their first rodeo.

51 minutes ago, accnick said:

Simple. If you break a rule, you get penalized. Is there some part of that you aren’t clear about?

The umpires are the same ones that have been doing this since day one. They are primarily the same umpires that do the AC. This ain’t their first rodeo.

You are wrong! SailGP has a new Umpire for Season 2. They had Richard Slater for Season 1 but he is gone. Now they have a nobody as Umpire!

This is the new Head Umpire for SailGP in Season 2. What a tremendous CLOWN! He has never done Sailing in his whole life and gets to make these "inconsistent" Decision. That guy needs to be fired ASAP!!!

vlcsnap-2021-07-17-23h07m40s234.png

• Downvote 3
15 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

This is the new Head Umpire for SailGP in Season 2. What a tremendous CLOWN! He has never done Sailing in his whole life and gets to make these "inconsistent" Decision. That guy needs to be fired ASAP!!!

vlcsnap-2021-07-17-23h07m40s234.png

Craig was one of the umpires last SailGP season, and was one of the AC umpires in 2017 and 2021.

Go on the World Sailing website and read his credentials before you shoot off your mouth about things you know nothing about.

• Like 1

I thought i had posted this but anyway we took a 3 hour drive to Plymouth to watch this and worth it all the way. We were to left of Stingrays vlog.

DSCF6793.JPG

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, accnick said:

Craig was one of the umpires last SailGP season, and was one of the AC umpires in 2017 and 2021.

Go on the World Sailing website and read his credentials before you shoot off your mouth about things you know nothing about.

But he was never the Head Umpire! Richard Slater was the Main Umpire for AC35 & AC36!

3 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

But he was never the Head Umpire! Richard Slater was the Main Umpire for AC35 & AC36!

Richard Slater us now rules advisor to the AUS Olympic team.

The position of Chief Umpire is not a life tenure. Craig was chosen for the job because of his experience in SailGP, the AC, and other events. The umpires are a team , just like a sailing crew is a team.

Your implication that the current Chief Umpire lacks either experience or competence is absurd on its face. Craig is one of the best and most experienced in the game.

You seem to lack any understanding of when and why penalties are given.

Do you race sailboats, or are you just a fanboy of some type?

• Like 2

What the fuck is a black flag?? Phil is a barge-starting madman but he absolutely didn't deserve to get thrown out of that last race for a windward-leeward that barely affected anyone. Wack shit.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, crashtack said:

What the fuck is a black flag?? Phil is a barge-starting madman but he absolutely didn't deserve to get thrown out of that last race for a windward-leeward that barely affected anyone. Wack shit.

Yep, surprised me a little too. But, like with the officiating discussion above, I imagine it comes down more to the rules and the UmpireApp than judgement and discretion by the umps. JS did definitely alter course to avoid collision. It’s debatable if he could have born off sooner and still won the start without an OCS, was really close. I think the rules are heavily stacked towards avoiding collisions. JS made an interesting comment from onboard at the end of that Race 3, something like ‘Phil had it coming.’ 

3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Yep, surprised me a little too. But, like with the officiating discussion above, I imagine it comes down more to the rules and the UmpireApp than judgement and discretion by the umps. JS did definitely alter course to avoid collision. It debatable if he could have done sooner and still won the start without an OCS, was really close. I think the rules are heavily stacked towards avoiding collisions. JS made an interesting comment from onboard at the end of that Race 3, something like ‘Phil had it coming.’ 

It was a potentially reckless  action that could have resulted in major damage if Jimmy had not altered course.

Phil’s timing of the start was impeccable. The problem is that another boat had the right to be where he put his boat, and had to alter course to avoid a collision. As windward boat, he had the obligation to keep clear, and he did not.

Most sailors have been in this position at one time or another, if they are aggressive on the start line. You take the chance, you run the risk.

• Like 2

A black flag for barging...??? No one ever barges, right!?

JS had to head down to fire off the line anyway, although he did have to go down further than his proper course... but a black flag?

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Liquid said:

JS had to head down to fire off the line anyway, although he did have to go down further than his proper course... but a black flag?

It was too harsh but with @accnickconsistenly defending that LOUSY Umpire anything could happen!

3 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

It was too harsh but with @accnickconsistenly defending that LOUSY Umpire anything could happen!

You think anything I say impacts on a SailGP umpire decision?

I just happen to have worked on both sides with all these umpires at one time or another, either as a competitor or as part of race management in SailGP and the AC.

You may not always like or agree with their decisions, but as competitors, we live with them. If they aren’t good, they don’t get hired —and re-hired—for racing at this level.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, accnick said:

It was a potentially reckless  action that could have resulted in major damage if Jimmy had not altered course.

You can say that about almost any penalty in these boats.

Fundamentally reaching starts are ridiculous because they setup situations like this. Any boat that does perfect time and distance can be taken out by an early boat sailing the line.

What next? Any boat trying a port pin end start in a big fleet will get DSQ'd?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, sfigone said:

You can say that about almost any penalty in these boats.

Fundamentally reaching starts are ridiculous because they setup situations like this. Any boat that does perfect time and distance can be taken out by an early boat sailing the line.

What next? Any boat trying a port pin end start in a big fleet will get DSQ'd?

The umpires hold de-briefs after racing and go over the decisions with all the competitors and the team rules advisors and/or coaches, so the competitors generally understand how the umpires will treat various infractions.

This does not happen in a vacuum.

We may well hear more about this particular decision.

I watched on the SailGP website dashboard. Better info, manual choosing of cameras etc. 

Guessing that doesn’t count to YT numbers (anyone know?). I wonder how many others watch that way…I only discovered that option today…

3 hours ago, Liquid said:

In half a second JR would have been ~5m ahead... or JS 5m further windward... or....

In which case we'd probably be calling it a brilliant ballsy start.

If umpires are going to start handing out black flags for such fast boats in such tight situations as this, what's next?  A penalty to the back of the fleet should have been sufficient. 

The starting area seems ridiculously small for this many boats of this size and speed.

Just my two bobs worth.  :rolleyes:

• Downvote 1

After 2 bullets… Did the Australian boat get told to have a shocker?

RC to TS… “Back of the fleet next race, we need the leaderboard to be closer, you can’t be so far ahead”

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rushman said:

After 2 bullets… Did the Australian boat get told to have a shocker?

I doubt it.....but that's the thing with this series, Russell might say there's no secrets, but the way it's run and the selection of the teams, it's completely opaque. If you buy a franchise (team), do you have total control of team selection? The fine print of those contracts would be interesting.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

I doubt it.....but that's the thing with this series, Russell might say there's no secrets, but the way it's run and the selection of the teams, it's completely opaque. If you buy a franchise (team), do you have total control of team selection? The fine print of those contracts would be interesting.

The practice time, the fill in crew....

That's why the original title of the thread is so compelling.

• Like 1