44 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

So if one medal is the highest achievement  and multiple medals don’t matter why is Pete going back to get another? 

maybe they do matter? 

Because he can.

And because, as he has said multiple times, he is proud to be Kiwi and loves representing New Zealand on the world stage.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to stop and take a photo of this today (not like I'm pushed for time during lockdown ). Looks like my youngest likes SailGP. Perhaps the boats are just easier to build with lego than the foiling

I've never been annoyed this much watching otherwise excellent racing or in fact any sailing ever.  The sailors and sailing are awesome, boats are good for trashing around short courses - how can

i didnt bag the ac dipshit. quite strangely you identify yourself with that event and you feel like if someone bags on you, that means the event. i thought it was good. you on the other hand must be f

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

So if one medal is the highest achievement  and multiple medals don’t matter why is Pete going back to get another? 

maybe they do matter? 

Of course they matter - more than SailGP. 

Although Ainslie did say he would trade his 5 Olympic medals for one AC win.

1 hour ago, sfigone said:

The penalty given to Japan at the start of race 5 was a bit strange to me.

Japan was windward of Australia and had to keep clear.  Ahead of them was Denmark going slowly, but as both Australia and Japan were clear astern of her, they both had to keep clear and thus Denmark was an obstruction to them both.

Australia was sailing to go below Denmark, so surely they were obliged to give Japan room to do the same?  As it turned out, Denmark started moving and Australia slowed, so they didn't pass to windward of them until a bit later (when Denmark was forced to go around).

So if Australia get's the penalty for calling Japan up, then surely they needed to then also sail above Denmark? Ie they can't push Japan up and then dive down to go the other side of Denmark?

So it was a bit of a soft penalty in my mind, but then it was compounded by the the stupid "relative to" rule, as Australia then had a shocking first leg and Japan could not do their penalty until Australia got going.   They really need to find some way to penalize a boat that is not relative to other boats.  Something like they must do 2 tacks or gybes withing 30s.

agreed, the boat on boat aus vs jpn penalty was probably correct, but there were three boats in play here so there's more context.

in the end Denmark were too early too, and tacked around.

this relative penalty is always going to have a weird consequence, sometimes you get a penalty and it's already cleared by the time it's awarded. this one was a doozy and then jpn just rolled the dice from the back - impressive that den/ aus still got to 3rd/4th from there

as in most sailing, the start is massive. but it just seems to complex and random with the reach on a rather short line.

I'd like to see a bigger line, more space would allow the boats to do time on distance and less blocking. a power reach to first mark is pretty awesome with a few boats going max speed jockeying for the mark rounding (or would that just be too dangerous?)

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

Fishing is good this morning ;-) 

58 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Back to the trolling huh? I always knew you were a troll.

Problem is, you're not any good at it, because you can dish it out but you can't take it and get angry and throw tanties like a 3 year old when someone trolls you back. Seen it many times in this thread lol

here's a thread just for you two. go bananas there

https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/226163-the-echo-chamber/

13 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Here's one for you. Now STFU

for some reason this is the active thread on the series. You're the one trolling this thread, with the highest comments count in the thread, but all about how it is a waste of time. That doesn't really add up, but we get the point. Not sure why @JALhazmattakes the bait, but ignoring both of you still doesn't filter out everything.

If your endgame is to ruin this thread for those who actually want to talk about SailGP, then that's pretty sad. 

1 minute ago, shebeen said:

for some reason this is the active thread on the series. You're the one trolling this thread, with the highest comments count in the thread, but all about how it is a waste of time. That doesn't really add up, but we get the point. Not sure why @JALhazmattakes the bait, but ignoring both of you still doesn't filter out everything.

If your endgame is to ruin this thread for those who actually want to talk about SailGP, then that's pretty sad. 

Yet the other thread is the one that is actually in the right forum for this topic (not that that matters to SailGP fans)

4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

No i actually dont go there... at all. For that reason. That it is the correct forum to be discussing that topic.

Obviously this is the proper thread as it has the most traffic. Why don't you fuck off to the other one.

26 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

No i actually dont go there... at all. For that reason. That it is the correct forum to be discussing that topic.

How do you live with the stress? I mean- the fact that this thread exists in the "wrong forum", must be like having to watch someone knowingly back into your car every morning whilst flipping you the bird.

Give it up, for your sake. The thread is here, people are talking about it here. You can shit it on it from either place or not, and it's not going to change the fact that people are discussing SailGP in the Americas Cup forum.

• Like 2
On 7/20/2021 at 6:43 AM, NeedAClew said:

They really need to stop with these mechanical problems.  Season 1 the excuse was the boats were modified but still a bit different, etc. They had a year to get those things sorted. But consolidating shore crews seems not to have the same outcome as dedicated crews. Cheaper but more variability in races. 

It worked OK for the, VOR.

Just shit SailGP, F50's I guess. ;-)

5 hours ago, atwinda said:

How do you live with the stress? I mean- the fact that this thread exists in the "wrong forum", must be like having to watch someone knowingly back into your car every morning whilst flipping you the bird.

Give it up, for your sake. The thread is here, people are talking about it here. You can shit it on it from either place or not, and it's not going to change the fact that people are discussing SailGP in the Americas Cup forum.

I dont care. I really dont. You people seem to care more about where Im posting than I care about this thread being here. I dont know how many people have bitched and moaned about wanting me to go somewhere else, but when I tell them its actually them that are actually in the wrong place, all they say is “So what, we want to talk about it here” fine. Whats good for you is good for me too.

You can post here. Go ahead, knock yourself out. Im not going to stop you, im not even going to moan about it, and I’ll do the same thing. Like you said, the thread is here, and people are talking about it here. Well, Im here too, and i will continue to post what ever the f**k I wanna post, even if it has nothing to do with SailGP. Because SailGP has nothing to do with the Americas Cup. Okay?

5 hours ago, pusslicker said:

Obviously this is the proper thread as it has the most traffic. Why don't you fuck off to the other one.

Its the correct thread in the wrong forum. like Ive always said.

If you wanna stay here, fine. But dont tell me to fuck off when its you that is in the wrong place. 

So why dont you pick your lip up off the ground, wipe your eyes and quit crying like a little girl.

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Its the correct thread in the wrong forum. like Ive always said.

If you wanna stay here, fine. But dont tell me to fuck off when its you that is in the wrong place. 

So why dont you pick your lip up off the ground, wipe your eyes and quit crying like a little girl.

So where does the "Where are they now?" thread belong? Or any of the other threads about AC boats? You obviously get off on being a spiteful little prick.

1 hour ago, pusslicker said:

So where does the "Where are they now?" thread belong? Or any of the other threads about AC boats? You obviously get off on being a spiteful little prick.

In the AC forum because theyre about AC boats... really? 

3 hours ago, pusslicker said:

You obviously get off on being a spiteful little prick.

See what I mean, you proved my point - AGAIN. You like to think you're good at trolling people, but then get all shitty when you get it back. If you're gonna dish it out, be prepared to take it.

7 hours ago, Forourselves said:

I dont care. I really dont. You people seem to care more about where Im posting than I care about this thread being here. I dont know how many people have bitched and moaned about wanting me to go somewhere else, but when I tell them its actually them that are actually in the wrong place, all they say is “So what, we want to talk about it here” fine. Whats good for you is good for me too.

You can post here. Go ahead, knock yourself out. Im not going to stop you, im not even going to moan about it, and I’ll do the same thing. Like you said, the thread is here, and people are talking about it here. Well, Im here too, and i will continue to post what ever the f**k I wanna post, even if it has nothing to do with SailGP. Because SailGP has nothing to do with the Americas Cup. Okay?

I'm confused, why are you the top poster in this thread again

a)sailgp is crap

b)this sailgp thread is in the AC subforum

c)I enjoy trolling people on the internet and it is shooting fish in a barrel here

d)something else

Why is SailGP considered in the wrong forum when the class was derived from the AC50 and many of the players are involved in the AC?  Seems like an appropriate place for this discussion.  

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Forourselves said:

In the AC forum because theyre about AC boats... really? 

Again, how are the AC50's of SGP not AC boats? Do any of the 12's in the where are they now measure as 12's? 

10 hours ago, Forourselves said:

See what I mean, you proved my point - AGAIN. You like to think you're good at trolling people, but then get all shitty when you get it back. If you're gonna dish it out, be prepared to take it.

How is this shitty? It's true. Why else would you keep posting in here?

6 hours ago, yoyo said:

Why is SailGP considered in the wrong forum when the class was derived from the AC50 and many of the players are involved in the AC?  Seems like an appropriate place for this discussion.  

So shall we start an Ocean Race thread in here too? Bruce Farrs office designed the VO65, and there are many AC sailors involved in that too. What about a Transpac thread as the foiling tri marans are derived from AC technology. The foiling GC32’s were derived from the AC72. AC sailors were and are involved in that. How about an Olympics thread? JFK sailed an AC boat, she we talk American Politics in here too? Where does it stop? You let one topic in, ya gotta let them all in.

2 hours ago, pusslicker said:

Again, how are the AC50's of SGP not AC boats? Do any of the 12's in the where are they now measure as 12's? 

Have you ever seen an F50 race in an Americas Cup? No. Its a completely different class. The 12’s are still 12’s no matter how many mods are made to them. You can build a boat thats 12 metres long, but that doesn’t make it a 12 metre class. The AC75 is 75 feet, so is the IACC but that doesnt make an AC75 an IACC yacht. The PAC52’s aren’t TP52’s, though they were derived from them, that doesnt make them eligible for that series. The F50 isnt an AC50, and has NEVER raced in an AC. SailGP is NOT the AC. Got it now?

10 minutes ago, yoyo said:

Everything in sailing comes from the AC.  Good to know...

Every series takes something from every other series, bit the fact remains, they all have their own discussion forums created for that reason. SailGP is no different. I bet if you start a SailGP thread in the Ocean Racing forum theyll tell you to fuck off.

19 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Every series takes something from every other series, bit the fact remains, they all have their own discussion forums created for that reason. SailGP is no different. I bet if you start a SailGP thread in the Ocean Racing forum theyll tell you to fuck off.

Why don't you go over there and start one. It would be a much better place for you to post your drivel anyway.

3 minutes ago, atwinda said:

Why don't you go over there and start one. It would be a much better place for you to post your drivel anyway.

Because Im not here to discuss Ocean Racing just youre not here to discuss the AC, so Why dont you go to the Multihull Forum. You wont go there so Im not going anywhere.

18 minutes ago, yoyo said:

Also good to know....

image.png.d47dca9a83c7c43b9104de63126464e2.png

Is it? The fact remains that SailGP is NOT the Americas Cup, the F50’s have NEVER raced an AC therefor this thread is as it has always been, irrelevant to the topic of the forum.

4 hours ago, pusslicker said:

There is really NO need to quote 4selves in your post. A good number of us have her on ignore and we prefer not to read her drivel. You should try it. Its a couple of clicks and all of a sudden the thread turns into an interesting thread about SailGP.

Plus it will drive her absolutely batshit if everyone has her on ignore on her favorite thread.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Wait? These AC50's were the actual boats that were in the '17 cup and you say I'm the troll. I think they might have made 1 or 2 more after for SGP? What in the fuck are you talking about? You still haven't done the math on how TNZ has won more cups than the US since '87. I guess this is the same logic?

53 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Wait? These AC50's were the actual boats that were in the '17 cup and you say I'm the troll. I think they might have made 1 or 2 more after for SGP? What in the fuck are you talking about? You still haven't done the math on how TNZ has won more cups than the US since '87. I guess this is the same logic?

There are no AC50's in SailGP. There were no F50's in the AC. The only AC50 left today is the one hanging on the wall of the Emirates Team NZ Base in Auckland.

NZ has won 35 Americas Cup races to USA's 22.

5 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Since 1851? 

Since the AC began in '87. I was saying even the Americans have won more cups since the Kiwis were involved and they don't care and he was saying the US has won it 2 times since '87 and the Kiwis 4. I wanted a breakdown on the math and he came up with race wins somehow. 

On 7/22/2021 at 12:41 AM, IPLore said:

Although, I confess this one is an absolute keeper!

Yeah, this is definitly one to keep. Everything he's ever said regarding SailGP turned out to be DEAD WRONG but that one was one thing of a beauty!

1 hour ago, Justaquickone said:

He seems so young and naive writing  there with just a hint of bitterness .

Everything in that is absolutely true. The F50’s have proved to be unreliable, damage prone and sub standard to the AC50. They’ve tried as much as they can to emulate the performance of ETNZs AC50, but haven’t been able to improve the performance. Continous hydraulic issues have plagued the F50, and robbed teams of podium positions. 

The F50 concept was launched 2 years ago. To still be having hydraulic issues effecting the teams performance speaks to its failure.

3 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Yeah, this is definitly one to keep. Everything he's ever said regarding SailGP turned out to be DEAD WRONG but that one was one thing of a beauty!

Coming from the guy who said "The AC75 is too dangerous, too expensive and will never see another Americas Cup lol and The Ocean Race was dead lol

18 hours ago, pusslicker said:

Since the AC began in '87. I was saying even the Americans have won more cups since the Kiwis were involved and they don't care and he was saying the US has won it 2 times since '87 and the Kiwis 4. I wanted a breakdown on the math and he came up with race wins somehow. 

I've decided I like 4U's maths. By his reckoning I am one of the top 10 ocean and offshore sailors in the world. Maybe the best of all . Ever. When you only count the events I entered

• Like 1
1 hour ago, enigmatically2 said:

I've decided I like 4U's maths. By his reckoning I am one of the top 10 ocean and offshore sailors in the world. Maybe the best of all . Ever. When you only count the events I entered

And only if you wear a t-shirt with a fern on it. 

2 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

There are lies, then damn lies, then statistics, then 4U's math.

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

Did anyone win before 87? 

or we just ignoring that? I mean it’s cool if we are it means the UK hasn’t had that long a streak ;-) 

These arrogant Kiwi jackoffs were going on about how amazing they are. I was making the point that they hadn't even won the Cup as many times as the not giving a fuck about the AC Americans since '87 when the were first in it together. Hopefully they run out of money and are gone soon. A fucking cancer on the AC over the last 35 years. Clarkeys creative math has got it even now though at 5 to 5 even though there has only been 9 cups.

50 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

These arrogant Kiwi jackoffs... there has only been 9 cups.

87, 88, 92, 95, 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2017, 2021.

And you talk about my maths! There has been 11 Cups, not 9.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Did anyone win before 87? 

or we just ignoring that? I mean it’s cool if we are it means the UK hasn’t had that long a streak ;-) 

Yep, the Aussies. It was at that stage, the AC became relevant.

Fake news. Fake teams, fake series, fake results.

Win the Americas Cup, thats all that matters.

So now you are saying that the offshore/ ocean racing events I won don't matter either?

Just you being jealous obviously

4U. A man so narrow minded his scratchpads are made of ticker tape

87, 88, 92, 95, 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2017, 2021.

And you talk about my maths! There has been 11 Cups, not 9.

9 pertinent to the subject we were talking about. Why would you add in the 2 Swiss cups? Doesn't it get exhausting making your country that you seem so proud of look so bad? 

6 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

So now you are saying that the offshore/ ocean racing events I won don't matter either?

Just you being jealous obviously

4U. A man so narrow minded his scratchpads are made of ticker tape

No. I'm saying you saying you're the best sailor in the world is fake news.

4 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Does NZ feature in any of the around the world or transoceanic races

4 of the last 14 Ocean Race Winners had Kiwi Skippers, including two winning Kiwi Teams.

Kiwis also the only team to win all 6 legs in an event.

Better than any other countries record, like most thing sailing.

5 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Apart from the french racing around the planet solo, the fastest or non stop, the British at the  olympics or Americans in the AC 

yup 100% the best in most things sailing.. 

no one cared about the AC pre 83. The Aussies put the Cup on the map and the Kiwi’s have dominated ever since. 
Steinlager 2 and NZ Endeavour are legends of the Ocean Race, as are Blake and Dalton. The only sailors to have won the Whitbread, the Jules Verne Trophy, successfully challenged for, and Defended the Americas Cup. Disrespect those achievements all you want, but those that matter know NZ is the dominant nation in the Sailing world today. 

48 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

no one cared about the AC pre 83. The Aussies put the Cup on the map and the Kiwi’s have dominated ever since. 
Steinlager 2 and NZ Endeavour are legends of the Ocean Race, as are Blake and Dalton. The only sailors to have won the Whitbread, the Jules Verne Trophy, successfully challenged for, and Defended the Americas Cup. Disrespect those achievements all you want, but those that matter know NZ is the dominant nation in the Sailing world today. 

I have huge respect for Blake and Dalton. But there are too many different sailing disciplines and perspectives for anyone or any nation to dominate it all.

3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Being a pro or Olympic sailor looks to be the only way to get out off NZ nowadays. Did they get themselves fully vaccinated? Hope so. It's dangerous out here. 

Anyone can leave NZ for any reason, it's just that when returning they need to do a 14 stint in MIQ. Australia travel was open until the last few days where delta has got out of hand in NSW and VIC in particular.

Pfizer Vaccination data here https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-data-and-statistics/covid-19-vaccine-data

Basically running according to (a relatively slow) plan. But I've yet to hear of a 'walk-in' that got turned away.

In short anyone can get rNA vaccine and/or head out of NZ, they just have a stay upon return :-)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Absolutely noone is disrespecting those sailors. The only person disrespecting anyone is you with your ridiculously uninformed blend of nationalistic horseshit.

If you are counting Blake then you must also count on the other hand Cayard, Elvstrom, MacArthur, Desjoyaix and many others. Insist on it being current and Blake disappears from the list and the greatest sailor currently is probably Ainslie. World sailing has no Kiwis at the top of dinghy rankings (Esp and Ned have most but USA, GB and Belgium also appear). SailGP is probably the only event with the best sailors of that type in and NZ are near the back

You only think NZ are the best because you only count races NZ win and disrespect anything else.

On 7/23/2021 at 11:24 PM, Forourselves said:

NZ won 88 (yes, they did, the trophy says so) 95, 2000, 2017, 2021

Interesting. Didn't know that. Why does the Cup say NZ won in 88? Who carves the names?

NZ obviously could not carve its name on the trophy for having won on the water because it didn't. NZ appealed to the courts to overturn the results on the water, and ultimately lost there as well, so I wondering when NZ considered itself the winner. Now, NZ did win initially in the trial court but San Diego appealed that decision within days and an appellate court overturned that decision within six months. NY's highest court affirmed San Diego as the winner after that.

Did NZ decide to carve its name on the Cup after the trial court ruling knowing that the decision was under appeal?  

3 hours ago, porthos said:

Interesting. Didn't know that. Why does the Cup say NZ won in 88? Who carves the names?

NZ obviously could not carve its name on the trophy for having won on the water because it didn't. NZ appealed to the courts to overturn the results on the water, and ultimately lost there as well, so I wondering when NZ considered itself the winner. Now, NZ did win initially in the trial court but San Diego appealed that decision within days and an appellate court overturned that decision within six months. NY's highest court affirmed San Diego as the winner after that.

Did NZ decide to carve its name on the Cup after the trial court ruling knowing that the decision was under appeal?  

So you're saying SD won the Cup twice in '88 and NZ once? So it's 6 to 5 for the US in Cups since '87. That math ok with you Clarkey? 

18 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

So you're saying SD won the Cup twice in '88 and NZ once? So it's 6 to 5 for the US in Cups since '87. That math ok with you Clarkey? 

If you are counting court decisions as well (which I guess 4O is), the Cup was available to win four times in 1988: (1) on the water; (2) in the NY Supreme Court; (3) in the NY Appellate Court; and (4) in the NY Court of Appeals. Final score was 3-1 SDYC.

16 minutes ago, porthos said:

If you are counting court decisions as well (which I guess 4O is), the Cup was available to win four times in 1988: (1) on the water; (2) in the NY Supreme Court; (3) in the NY Appellate Court; and (4) in the NY Court of Appeals. Final score was 3-1 SDYC.

Clarkey will only count what is engraved on the Cup itself I guess. Crazy those arrogant fucks had the audacity to engrave it and then left it there after Blake let the Cup get smashed into a plate.

7 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I thought NZ made a big deal of reengraving because somebody either EB or LE used too big a font?  Could have removed the 88 mistake, lol.

EB used a gigantor font to engrave his wins, which didn’t leave room for TNZ to record its wins in 2017. So, with the agreement of all past winners, RYS had the most recent ring remade in 2018 and put EBs wins in a normal font, which left room to record TNZ’s wins in 2017. Don’t know if they did anything with the 1988 engraving(s) in the process. Couldn’t find anything online about it. 

I now wish I would have looked more closely at the cup when I saw it in 2013.

2 hours ago, pusslicker said:

No. Both San Diego and Micheal Fay had been before Judge Ciparick before the racing arguing the Monohull v Multihull issue. The Judge had told them to go racing as she had reserved her decision regarding the Monohull v Multihull issue until after the racing, so essentially there was never going to be a winner after the racing as both parties knew they would be heading back to the courts who would decide the winner.

After the racing concluded the Kiwi's celebrated feeling they had won the Cup, and the court later decided they did.

San Diego appealed that decision and won. 1-1

8 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

No. Both San Diego and Micheal Fay had been before Judge Ciparick before the racing arguing the Monohull v Multihull issue. The Judge had told them to go racing as she had reserved her decision regarding the Monohull v Multihull issue until after the racing, so essentially there was never going to be a winner after the racing as both parties knew they would be heading back to the courts who would decide the winner.

After the racing concluded the Kiwi's celebrated feeling they had won the Cup, and the court later decided they did.

San Diego appealed that decision and won. 1-1

Not quite. San Diego appealed the trial court decision to the intermediate appellate court and won.  Mercury Bay then appealed that decision to the Court of Appeals (highest court) and lost. Mercury Bay lost at both appellate levels.