39 minutes ago, accnick said:

Seriously, with a match in equal boats, this one will be very interesting, although the fleet race format changes things a bit.

Pete and Blair actually have more experience in fleet racing than match racing.  Although fleet racing with reaching start is going to be novel for some of the helms......it is basically massive value for time and distance judgement.     Although, thus far the matches have shown lots of overtaking after the start,

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to stop and take a photo of this today (not like I'm pushed for time during lockdown ). Looks like my youngest likes SailGP. Perhaps the boats are just easier to build with lego than the foiling

I've never been annoyed this much watching otherwise excellent racing or in fact any sailing ever.  The sailors and sailing are awesome, boats are good for trashing around short courses - how can

Some of you are truly amusing. Let's start with a simple truth. This event was probably the best televised sailing I have ever seen. Sure, there is room for improvement but the racing was epic, t

Posted Images

On 4/7/2021 at 3:37 PM, strider470 said:

What I really would like to see is a SailGP with one design AC75s. But probably this is because I'm not a great fan of catamarans.

You know what would have been great. All for AC 75s on the course at the same time during the lead up regattas. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

The wings are different (modular sizes) and maybe trimmed differently?  Foils have different material, per RC statement in interview. Control systems upgraded. So even the most formerly-experienced teams will scramble to master the new upgrades. Denmark might do quite well, having been sailing the upgraded boat longest. 

In the first season, the wing systems were not yet fully standardized, but are for the new season. The new generation of foils should be a significant improvement as well. The new multi-size modular wings are meant to expand the practical wind range for racing.

Performance-wise, the boats should be closer than they were in the first season. Assuming they do it like the first season, the boats will be weight-corrected to identical platform weight and  LCG. Likewise, wings will be weight-corrected.

In other words, it should all come down to the sailors.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, accnick said:

In the first season, the wing systems were not yet fully standardized, but are for the new season. The new generation of foils should be a significant improvement as well. The new multi-size modular wings are meant to expand the practical wind range for racing.

Performance-wise, the boats should be closer than they were in the first season. Assuming they do it like the first season, the boats will be weight-corrected to identical platform weight and  LCG. Likewise, wings will be weight-corrected.

In other words, it should all come down to the sailors.

And to how much practice time on the water the sailors get.  Given the boats are slightly (or more if controls changed) different than Season 1 or 2.no that matters and even the best may be disadvantaged if they get less time than the good. 

7 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

And to how much practice time on the water the sailors get.  Given the boats are slightly (or more if controls changed) different than Season 1 or 2.no that matters and even the best may be disadvantaged if they get less time than the good. 

That's why I expect some scratchy racing if this thing does indeed go off on April 24th. With everything bascially new it might negate somewhat the Advantage the Brits, Aussies and Japanese had in 2019/2020.

6 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Yes, but these guys all learn very, very quickly. That's one reason they're so good. Look at what Ben did to the fleet in his first regatta.

Certainly time in the modified boat is a significant factor, but anyone who sailed all of season one is starting from well up the curve.

So who do we all have for Bermuda? I think Slinger may struggle to go with Jimmy, Ben and Pete? Slinger has been racing Nathan until these guys came along. Ben cleaned up when he arrived, showed Slinger to be off his game a fair bit. How do we all see that now? 

12 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

The wings are different (modular sizes) and maybe trimmed differently?  Foils have different material, per RC statement in interview. Control systems upgraded. So even the most formerly-experienced teams will scramble to master the new upgrades. Denmark might do quite well, having been sailing the upgraded boat longest. 

AFAIK:

The wing has gone from 3 segments to 4. The race committee can decide if the teams will race without one of the four segments, depending on wing strength. This reduces wing height from 24m to 18m, and when they get a good breeze we should see how the foils cope with cavitation past 50 knots.  :P

image.png.0b2989ebb6e029b7bf2b5328546036c9.png

image.png.af970c88e6b432f2d36c6a3144db87aa.png

Wing flap is now controlled by hydraulics. In fact, everything except for the main sheet is now electro-hydraulically operated, including wing flap and even the self-tacking jib!

image.png.34e7a33011a2b3c77f509d0a6f90f59e.png

New foils for this season are constructed with "higher modulus carbon fiber" - I believe the AC75s used milled steel - and the lower section of rudders are manufactured in high-strength stainless steel to reduce drag.

image.png.638cb17fe37fde84eb94593713e56907.png

Controllers :

image.png.ff6d33539352782deb6690e97cd47ef8.png

• Like 8
4 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

@MaxHugen

These Pictures are simply AMAZING! Thank You:)

You're welcome.  I've been scrounging every bit of info I can on the F50s for a while.  Now trying to get the entire boat into CAD (have done the wing), but that's a slow process since I haven't used CAD before.  ;)

• Like 2
16 hours ago, accnick said:

Yes, but these guys all learn very, very quickly. That's one reason they're so good. Look at what Ben did to the fleet in his first regatta.

Certainly time in the modified boat is a significant factor, but anyone who sailed all of season one is starting from well up the curve.

Well if there are several well up the curve the ones with more time in Bermuda will be advantaged by that. Ineos had been sailing as a team because of AC and probably could afford sim time.  A lot of these teams from S1 haven't been sailing together for a year or more. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Well if there are several well up the curve the ones with more time in Bermuda will be advantaged by that. Ineos had been sailing as a team because of AC and probably could afford sim time.  A lot of these teams from S1 haven't been sailing together for a year or more. 

There have always been different levels of crew competence in this event, and you would expect the same this year. The cream will probably rise to the top pretty quickly.

There are some crews there with things to prove.

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Ineos had been sailing as a team because of AC and probably could afford sim time. 

I dont think the Ineos team have sailed together in well over a year. I could be wrong but I thought Ben had a different team for sailgp than he had for AC36.

Just now, atwinda said:

Any word on whether or not the Bermuda event is covid-canceled?

Can't you read:D It's right in front of your nose. The Event will go ahead:)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Barbican Sailor said:

Great news and Freddie Carr is one of the commentators, should be good.

How do you know that Freddie Carr is one of the Commentators? Please provide a Link if you make such a claim!

2 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

I dont think the Ineos team have sailed together in well over a year. I could be wrong but I thought Ben had a different team for sailgp than he had for AC36.

Luke P is listed as a flight controller in the AC team so probably they practiced togather although I thought it was primarily Leigh on flight. I confess I cannot recall.

Either way, Ben's team know him well from Feb 2020 and will click fairly quickly.  Its a matter of getting upt o speed with the controls

Luke P is listed as a flight controller in the AC team so probably they practiced togather although I thought it was primarily Leigh on flight. I confess I cannot recall.

Either way, Ben's team know him well from Feb 2020 and will click fairly quickly.  Its a matter of getting upt o speed with the controls

British SailGP Team in Sydney 2020 was:

Helm: Sir Ben Ainslie

Wing Trimmer: Iain Jensen

Flight Controller: Luke Parkinson

Grinders: Matt Gotrel, Richard Mason and Neil Hunter

7 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

How do you know that Freddie Carr is one of the Commentators? Please provide a Link if you make such a claim!

Matt Sheahan latest YouTube episode...  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Barbican Sailor said:

Matt Sheahan latest YouTube episode...  

Ah, thanks:) That is a good Commentator no doubt! Did Sheehan reveal who will be on the British SailGP Team?

On 4/14/2021 at 6:25 PM, rh3000 said:

I'd be surprised if they weren't vaccinated - NZ does already have a policy and plan for international athletes (Olympic and others) to get a vaccine earlier than normal public.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.rnz.co.nz/article/9623a212-c082-4796-b504-bc3b832f173a

https://sportnz.org.nz/resources/frequently-asked-questions-about-athlete-vaccines/

I wonder if Russell's vaccinated...?

11 minutes ago, Barbican Sailor said:

No info on the team yet.

Slight Reveal!

This is from Luke Parkinson from a week ago! Looks like British SailGP Team will be the same as in Sydney! I am curious who the two Women will be? My gut says Emily Nagel & Annabel Vose!

43 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Stop being a cunt to people. 

35 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Ah, thanks:) That is a good Commentator no doubt! Did Sheehan reveal who will be on the British SailGP Team?

It's the same as last time. I'm not entirely sure where the female members will fit in yet. 

The INEOS sailGP team were all on the AC team. I think Richard Mason didn't get any race time in Auckland. Plus, Goobs is back onboard. 

If anything, this team is more practiced together now than they were when they did the Sydney event. At that point Matt Gotrell and Richard Mason and I think Luke Parkinson had done very little directly with Ben. 

2 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

It's the same as last time. I'm not entirely sure where the female members will fit in yet. 

The INEOS sailGP team were all on the AC team. I think Richard Mason didn't get any race time in Auckland. Plus, Goobs is back onboard. 

If anything, this team is more practiced together now than they were when they did the Sydney event. At that point Matt Gotrell and Richard Mason and I think Luke Parkinson had done very little directly with Ben. 

Yeah, Luke Parkinson revealed in a Tweet a week ago I posted above that the Team will be the same as in Sydney. My money is that Emily Nagel will be one of the Female Sailors immersed within the British Team since she was a Performance Analyst for the British SailGP Team in 2019/2020. About the other one I have no clue. Gut feel says it might be Annabel Vose but who knows!

Oh yeah, sorry didn't read that. 

I get the feeling there won't be any girls onboard for Bermuda. Matt didn't mention any to me, and neither does Luke's tweet. 

USA press release talks about C-J being flight control and then handing over to Moroz later in the season and that Perez is still out in Hawaii. 

I think this makes some sense in that most teams won't have had any opportunity to really select females. Plus it really opens up options after the Olympics as you imagine most the talent will be coming from Nacra and FX campaigns.

8 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Oh yeah, sorry didn't read that. 

I get the feeling there won't be any girls onboard for Bermuda. Matt didn't mention any to me, and neither does Luke's tweet. 

USA press release talks about C-J being flight control and then handing over to Moroz later in the season and that Perez is still out in Hawaii. 

I think this makes some sense in that most teams won't have had any opportunity to really select females. Plus it really opens up options after the Olympics as you imagine most the talent will be coming from Nacra and FX campaigns.

There have to be at least two Females immersed in each of the 8 SailGP Teams. This is a Rule Russell created! You could be right though that they will not be in Bermuda! 

2 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

5 of 6 in Sydney had sailed together. Sydney was what I was referring to, when they whupped ass https://sailgp.com/news/gbr-presented-by-ineos-line-up-confirmed/

I have been going off these two listings of teams

AC 36 Ineos:  https://www.ineosteamuk.com/en/team.html#sailing

SailGP Ineos : https://sailgp.com/teams/great-britain/

So looking at Ineos's SailGP the following overlapped with AC 36

Ben Ainslie

Luke Parkinson is listed as flight controller in AC 36 but so is  Leigh McMillan .  Did they have 2 flight controllers on board or alternate

Matt Goetrel : Grinder for both AC and GP

Neil Hunter : Grinder for both

Richard Mason : Grinder for both(Mozzy hears that he did not get race time, which is surprising because they swapped out the grinders after each race)

Goobs is not listed on AC team and yet his sailGP profile says he was part of the AC 36 Ineos team.  I think sailgp was wrong about that.

The afterguard is Ben, Luke and Goobs.

How many can remember that Luke actually had to drive during a race in AC35, when Nathan slid off the boat for a swim.   I thought it was very interesting that there was no hesitation in the team electing Parko to take the helm. Afterwards, they said that nobody had trained for this but it was just obvious to the crew that Luke was the right guy.  Anyway, apart from the unexpected helm role, Parko was training for a whole cycle on the AC 50 , gazillion of hours on the predecessor of the GP50 and then did the entire 2019 GP50 with Nathan O   So one can see why Ben chose Luke out his two flight engineers for the GP circuit.  They know each other well and Luke is one of the most experienced flight on GP50s in the business. 

Even more interesting is the pairing with Goobs.

Goobs has 3 AC cycles of foiling as a wing trimmer.  Interestingly he and Luke sailed together on AC50s as wind and flight on Artemis... They then sailed together for the 2019 season with Nathan O.  They come as a well co-ordinated team of flight and trim who have been racing this class of boat together for best part of 4 years. I venture that they come  as a team package as the most experienced wing/flight pair in the business.  It will make for good manoevures to have two people who have spent so much time doing this in these boats together.  

48 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

5 of 6 in Sydney had sailed together. Sydney was what I was referring to, when they whupped ass https://sailgp.com/news/gbr-presented-by-ineos-line-up-confirmed/

Indeed. That was over a year ago.  But a little research on my part showed I was wrong about the sailing together since then. See my post above.  They will slide into their roles like a hand in a glove.  

What I had not fully realized was how much time Luke and Goobs have spent sailing these boats together.

They were together for the entire AC 35 campaign as Flight and Trim.  That is already thousands of hours of practice and racing in the predecessor of the GP50. Then they sailed together in SailGp2019, coming second .  Then the one event in Sydney in 2020 where they really excelled.

Its a very strong afterguard.

• Like 1

One has to feel that Nathan Outteridge comes out of the team roster changes considerably worse off than he was in 2019.

He loses the Goobs/Parko combination.  This loss is heightened because Goobs was Nathan's crew/partner in the 49er winning 3 world championships together and two Olympic medals, gold and silver.  This would be the equivalent of Peter Burling losing Blair Tuke to another team.

In replacement Nathan has a japanese flight, who is probably the youngest sailor on the course. Kudos for developing youth sailors and taking on a mentoring role. but he will have a tough time vs Ineos , Australia and NZ

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

One has to feel that Nathan Outteridge comes out of the team roster changes considerably worse off than he was in 2019.

He loses the Goobs/Parko combination.  This loss is heightened because Goobs was Nathan's crew/partner in the 49er winning 3 world championships together and two Olympic medals, gold and silver.  This would be the equivalent of Peter Burling losing Blair Tuke to another team.

In replacement Nathan has a japanese flight, who is probably the youngest sailor on the course. Kudos for developing youth sailors and taking on a mentoring role. but he will have a tough time vs Ineos , Australia and NZ

Leo Takahashi is a Japanese Kiwi. He was on the boat last season as a grinder, but he will be a good flight controller. He is also on the Japanese Olympic team.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

I trend to agree with you here but then the Japanese is a Development Team!

Is Bermuda considered round 2 of this season or was the previous Sydney GP scrubbed and Season 2 is starting with a clean slate?

Edit: Sorry, just saw that Bermuda is the first event of Season 2...

1 hour ago, accnick said:

Leo Takahashi is a Japanese Kiwi. He was on the boat last season as a grinder, but he will be a good flight controller. He is also on the Japanese Olympic team.

And his father was part of the Nippon Challenge AC team in 1992.

1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I trend to agree with you here but then the Japanese is a Development Team!

1 hour ago, accnick said:

I agree that it is great that the Japanese team is developing talent.

Leo is the japanese 49er representative and SailGP has provided an opportunity that would likely have come in a decade .   Good for SailGP and kudos to Nathan for taking on this role.

I hope my respect came across.

However, the additional point is that Nathan loses Goobs/Parko - a winning combination with gold medals and thousands of hours on the Foiling 50s . Nathan will not have the same level of experienced afterguard as the other top level sailors.

Leo is a great story and I can see how both kiwis and japanese will get behind him which can only be good for the sport. Leo won the NZ opti nationals when he was 11, so he is a good sailor.

2018 6th 49er junior world champs,  10th in 2018 49ers world cup at Enoshma in Japan (Pete/Blair etc were not there) 26th at Aarhus.

2019 Disappointing result at  49er Oceana Champs due to having to pull out half way through but picked up 4 , 13, DNF 17 , 12 (showing they could play with the big boys), before retiring and DNC.   Did not compete in the subsequent world championship.

Promising but not in the same league yet as a Goobs or a Blair Tuke or a Jason Waterhouse.

Secretly I hope they win races and scare the shit out of the big boys demonstrating the talent of Nathan and what can be done with a young up and coming team.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

It’s the way you overly aggressively respond that makes you so ridiculous, demanding a link /proof to something that is pretty well known/easy to find out. 

The way you dismissed Moroz on the USA team as just a kid with no clue who she is, it’s pretty pathetic 

27 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

It’s the way you overly aggressively respond that makes you so ridiculous, demanding a link /proof to something that is pretty well known/easy to find out. 

The Irony of this comment.

I had a lengthy chat with Dylan Fletcher to get a bit of detail on what differentiates the boats in terms of speed. 

He also had some interesting reasons why despite some big steps forward we haven't seen regular smashing of AC50 speed records. 

Also get his take on inverting the wings and how beneficial that technique is. 

Anyone be interested on hearing this?

• Like 4
36 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

I had a lengthy chat with Dylan Fletcher to get a bit of detail on what differentiates the boats in terms of speed. 

...   Anyone be interested on hearing this?

You bet!  ;)

I'm guessing that the new ability to remove one section of the wing in stronger winds will be very beneficial in achieving consistent high boat speeds? 

Won't need to rely so much on excessive twist/inversion, and the resultant drag.   Maybe. :)

13 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

FYI,  Matt Sheahan in his latest video chatted with Freddie who said he was commentating, but only from GB, not at the venues.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

? Please 

You don't think you respond overly aggressively? Then want proof/ a link of a widely known claim, only to get that proof/ link and then turn around and say "its just PR, don't believe it" Lol

8 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

However, the additional point is that Nathan loses Goobs/Parko - a winning combination with gold medals and thousands of hours on the Foiling 50s . Nathan will not have the same level of experienced afterguard as the other top level sailors.

That was going to happen anyway due to the AC, as well as the original SailGP "Developing Team" rule. It's arguably why INEOS was able to step on and win in Sydney, having two of the most experienced F50 sailors with them.

4 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

FYI,  Matt Sheahan in his latest video chatted with Freddie who said he was commentating, but only from GB, not at the venues.

No one is commentating for TV at the venues. Tracking, cameras and sound are all sent by fibre to London where all the production is done. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Forourselves said:

You don't think you respond overly aggressively? Then want proof/ a link of a widely known claim, only to get that proof/ link and then turn around and say "its just PR, don't believe it" Lol

yep wonderfully taken out of context and edited to remove the question I asked before saying don't always believe the PR, i asked when you though the W foils were actually introduced, it was done in the UK NOT in NZ as widely believed.

but you ignored it to score points. well done steve.

2 hours ago, Potter said:

No one is commentating for TV at the venues. Tracking, cameras and sound are all sent by fibre to London where all the production is done. 

That makes a boatload of sense because of COVID! It's probably either Shirley Robertson and him or Rob Walker/Stevie Morrison and Carr.

6 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

USA SailGP Team capsizes during Training on Bermudas Great Sound vs AUS SailGP Team

174527840_1414355468921824_8240598167807

USA team boat but those are Aussie team helmets????

1 minute ago, Mambo Kings said:

USA team boat but those are Aussie team helmets????

So I think the heading should be Aussie team preps USA teams boat for them.

• Like 1

Yup

Here is the post

Today the United States SailGP Team F50 capsized during training with Australia SailGP Team on board, luckily all team members are safe and accounted for and we expect minimal damage to the boat. Just goes to show how important it is to train on these boats. Sounds like Tom Slingsby might owe James Spithill a beer

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

That makes a boatload of sense because of COVID! It's probably either Shirley Robertson and him or Rob Walker/Stevie Morrison and Carr.

It was already in the plan as a cost cutting measure for year 3 unless broadcast revenue paid for it, which obviously didn’t happen. ¾ of operating production expenses are travel, equipment transport and rental, lodging, food, insurance. Remote ops gets rid of most of those, at the cost of reducing the quality of the broadcast, mostly because remote commentators don’t have the benefit of all the info they get by hanging out with the teams and shore crew.  It’s just the old “Ellison 3 year stretch” we know so well. He is nothing if not predictable. 

Anyone know if Ineos took a step back as sponsor and if BA and all are back? Looks like they changed the design of the boat and Ineos is much less prominent, just looks like one decal on the back of the boat. 

1 minute ago, MR.CLEAN said:

It was already in the plan as a cost cutting measure for year 3 unless broadcast revenue paid for it, which obviously didn’t happen. ¾ of operating production expenses are travel, equipment transport and rental, lodging, food, insurance. Remote ops gets rid of most of those, at the cost of reducing the quality of the broadcast, mostly because remote commentators don’t have the benefit of all the info they get by hanging out with the teams and shore crew.  It’s just the old “Ellison 3 year stretch” we know so well. He is nothing if not predictable. 

Stop with this shit! I predict SailGP will last longer than the crappy Extreme Sailing Series (ESS). Go home hiding where you live!

2 minutes ago, Nauti Buoy said:

Anyone know if Ineos took a step back as sponsor and if BA and all are back? Looks like they changed the design of the boat and Ineos is much less prominent, just looks like one decal on the back of the boat. 

The British SailGP Team will have the same Members as in Sydney 2020.

Stop with this shit! I predict SailGP will last longer than the crappy Extreme Sailing Series (ESS). Go home hiding where you live!

I really cannot figure out why “go home hiding where you live” means, though I have to applaud the fact that this is the first post you have ever made with zero miscapitalizations.  

ESS lasted 11 years. Hold your breath. 

8 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I really cannot figure out why “go home hiding where you live” means, though I have to applaud the fact that this is the first post you have ever made with zero miscapitalizations.  

If Burling and other young Sailors continue to sail in that League it will last 11 years.

Why are you even allowed to post on this Board if you are just trying to take out the joy of this Event? Are you feeling miserable?

Get off this Boat and throw your consistent shit regarding SailGP somewhere else? I am sick of you!

18 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Big announcement somewhere on twitter was SGP chose Oracle Cloud as cloud provider for next 3 years. Like, they were gonna go for AWS?    

11 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Will SGP last longer than LE?  2 down 9 to go. 

20 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Hi Clean,

While no fan of Larry......SailGP is good for the sport. Compared to ESS, this has gotten more traction with its audience and a more prominent set of sailors.  Im sure money helps.

I hope it survives and finds commercial sponsors.  It would be a great pathway for AC sponsors and owners to cut their teeth on this.  But anything to do with commercial sailing has difficult odds.

I agree remote opps is not nearly as good as sticking your head out of the window to look at Great Sound and walking down to chat to the teams.  Understandable cost savings.

I hope it will be available live somewhere.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

young Sailors

that League

this Board

this Event

this Boat 

Dude. Turn off the anarchy and turn on a lesson on capitalization. My 5 year old learned it in an hour.  It might take you 4 or 5 but I’m confident in you. 

5 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

If Burling and other young Sailors continue to sail in that League it will last 11 years.

Why are you even allowed to post on this Board if you are just trying to take out the joy of this Event? Are you feeling miserable?

Get off this Boat and throw your consistent shit regarding SailGP somewhere else? I am sick of you!

Isn't the joy supposed to be in CrackPappy's and your thread over in MHA? Why are you here looking for joy instead of there?

1 minute ago, Mambo Kings said:

Hi Clean,

While no fan of Larry......SailGP is good for the sport. Compared to ESS, this has gotten more traction with its audience and a more prominent set of sailors.  Im sure money helps.

I hope it survives and finds commercial sponsors.  It would be a great pathway for AC sponsors and owners to cut their teeth on this.  But anything to do with commercial sailing has difficult odds.

I agree remote opps is not nearly as good as sticking your head out of the window to look at Great Sound and walking down to chat to the teams.  Understandable cost savings.

Get the app. 

Just now, Mambo Kings said:

Hi Clean,

ESS had way more sponsors, venue deals, and press, mostly because they had a very lean and ruthless marketing and PR team and they were doing 8-12 events a year. Still it never made any money, and constantly needed bailouts. 

sailgp will never make any money and will constantly need bailouts. Ask Larry how long he will continue in that vein (or just see his history for a dozen examples of how long)

• Like 2

Hi Clean,

Well,

We are still living in time of COVID19!!! What do you expect? I guess Clean wants to endanger even more people by having Commentators on site! SAILGP surviving despite a Global Pandemic when many other Sports (not just Sailing Sports) are struggling is a testament to Larry Ellison & Russell Coutts' Vision IMO.

Clean, whenever he gets the chance to attack this League, attacks it. I wonder why? Thank God he doesn't run anyones business.

7 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

ESS had way more sponsors, venue deals, and press, mostly because they had a very lean and ruthless marketing and PR team and they were doing 8-12 events a year. Still it never made any money, and constantly needed bailouts. 

sailgp will never make any money and will constantly need bailouts. Ask Larry how long he will continue in that vein (or just see his history for a dozen examples of how long)

SailGP had a Global Audience of 130 Million People watching and nearly 200,000 People attending in person during it's inaugural Season. Of Course they are making money.

The ESS TV Coverage was horrendously bad.

11 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Right.
Plus, they (EXSS) were more inclusive, less arrogant.

8 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

It would be a great pathway for AC sponsors and owners to cut their teeth on this. 

Why? Other than using an old AC design, SailGP has nothing to do with the AC.

5 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Why? Other than using an old AC design, SailGP has nothing to do with the AC.

Pete Burling & Blair Tuke think otherwise. They say SailGP is a good pathway especially getting Female Sailors into the AC:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/124789942/team-nz-stars-believe-women-sailors-can-break-into-americas-cup-scene

Probably true that SailGP won't make any money anytime soon.  All the more reason for the sailing world to build a statue to Larry (yes, I'm aware that he is easy to hate).   Larry ran a great regatta in Bermuda for AC36 - brought the sport forward - rules were fair enough for most talented team to win despite being underfunded.  He lost the Cup and is now pouring funds into an alternative concept of what the pinnacle could look like. Who is doing more for the sport?  The IOC?  World Sailing?  US Sailing? 

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

SAILGP surviving despite a Global Pandemic when many other Sports (not just Sailing Sports) are struggling is a testament to Larry Ellison & Russell Coutts' Vision IMO.

So, a billionaire floating SailGP is a surviving entity?

SailGP had a Global Audience of 130 Million People watching and nearly 200,000 People attending in person

They've got you hook, line and sinker!!!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, cbulger said:

Probably true that SailGP won't make any money anytime soon.  All the more reason for the sailing world to build a statue to Larry (yes, I'm aware that he is easy to hate).   Larry ran a great regatta in Bermuda for AC36 - brought the sport forward - rules were fair enough for most talented team to win despite being underfunded.  He lost the Cup and is now pouring funds into an alternative concept of what the pinnacle could look like. Who is doing more for the sport?  The IOC?  World Sailing?  US Sailing? 

I am impressed SailGP survived despite the Pandemic! Even Billionaires like Ellison or Sir Jim Ratcliffe have lost a lot of Revenue because of it!

1 minute ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I am impressed SailGP survived despite the Pandemic! Even Billionaires like Ellison or Sir Jim Ratcliffe have lost a lot of Revenue because of it!

Care to provide any evidence for that?

1 minute ago, NeedAClew said:

@dg_sailingfan is right I am sure SailGP has revenues. But the business issue is what are the costs and on net, do they lose money, break even, or make a profit.

You can pretty much guarantee that they lost money in 2020 because of the pandemic like any other sports. 2020 Sports had globally a very tough time.

Jim’s net worth increased during the pandemic as well as large business and sporting acquisitions.

it’s cute you are concerned for him but he is doing just fine