1 hour ago, enigmatically2 said:

I've decided I like 4U's maths. By his reckoning I am one of the top 10 ocean and offshore sailors in the world. Maybe the best of all . Ever. When you only count the events I entered

And only if you wear a t-shirt with a fern on it. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to stop and take a photo of this today (not like I'm pushed for time during lockdown ). Looks like my youngest likes SailGP. Perhaps the boats are just easier to build with lego than the foiling

Some of you are truly amusing. Let's start with a simple truth. This event was probably the best televised sailing I have ever seen. Sure, there is room for improvement but the racing was epic, t

i didnt bag the ac dipshit. quite strangely you identify yourself with that event and you feel like if someone bags on you, that means the event. i thought it was good. you on the other hand must be f

Posted Images

2 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

I've decided I like 4U's maths. By his reckoning I am one of the top 10 ocean and offshore sailors in the world. Maybe the best of all . Ever. When you only count the events I entered

There are lies, then damn lies, then statistics, then 4U's math.

13 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Hush you haters. I truly am the best.

Fake news. Fake teams, fake series, fake results.

Win the Americas Cup, thats all that matters.

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

Did anyone win before 87? 

or we just ignoring that? I mean it’s cool if we are it means the UK hasn’t had that long a streak ;-) 

These arrogant Kiwi jackoffs were going on about how amazing they are. I was making the point that they hadn't even won the Cup as many times as the not giving a fuck about the AC Americans since '87 when the were first in it together. Hopefully they run out of money and are gone soon. A fucking cancer on the AC over the last 35 years. Clarkeys creative math has got it even now though at 5 to 5 even though there has only been 9 cups.

50 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

These arrogant Kiwi jackoffs... there has only been 9 cups.

87, 88, 92, 95, 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2017, 2021.

And you talk about my maths! There has been 11 Cups, not 9.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Did anyone win before 87? 

or we just ignoring that? I mean it’s cool if we are it means the UK hasn’t had that long a streak ;-) 

Yep, the Aussies. It was at that stage, the AC became relevant.

10 hours ago, Forourselves said:

So now you are saying that the offshore/ ocean racing events I won don't matter either?

Just you being jealous obviously

4U. A man so narrow minded his scratchpads are made of ticker tape

10 hours ago, Forourselves said:

87, 88, 92, 95, 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2017, 2021.

And you talk about my maths! There has been 11 Cups, not 9.

9 pertinent to the subject we were talking about. Why would you add in the 2 Swiss cups? Doesn't it get exhausting making your country that you seem so proud of look so bad? 

6 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

So now you are saying that the offshore/ ocean racing events I won don't matter either?

Just you being jealous obviously

4U. A man so narrow minded his scratchpads are made of ticker tape

No. I'm saying you saying you're the best sailor in the world is fake news.

And they say humour is universal. Clearly not reached all parts of kiwi land. 

still you can bat it away as trolling as you were the only one that though enigmatically was being serious. 

4 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Does NZ feature in any of the around the world or transoceanic races

4 of the last 14 Ocean Race Winners had Kiwi Skippers, including two winning Kiwi Teams.

Kiwis also the only team to win all 6 legs in an event.

Better than any other countries record, like most thing sailing.

Apart from the french racing around the planet solo, the fastest or non stop, the British at the  olympics or Americans in the AC 

yup 100% the best in most things sailing.. 

5 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Apart from the french racing around the planet solo, the fastest or non stop, the British at the  olympics or Americans in the AC 

yup 100% the best in most things sailing.. 

no one cared about the AC pre 83. The Aussies put the Cup on the map and the Kiwi’s have dominated ever since. 
Steinlager 2 and NZ Endeavour are legends of the Ocean Race, as are Blake and Dalton. The only sailors to have won the Whitbread, the Jules Verne Trophy, successfully challenged for, and Defended the Americas Cup. Disrespect those achievements all you want, but those that matter know NZ is the dominant nation in the Sailing world today. 

48 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

no one cared about the AC pre 83. The Aussies put the Cup on the map and the Kiwi’s have dominated ever since. 
Steinlager 2 and NZ Endeavour are legends of the Ocean Race, as are Blake and Dalton. The only sailors to have won the Whitbread, the Jules Verne Trophy, successfully challenged for, and Defended the Americas Cup. Disrespect those achievements all you want, but those that matter know NZ is the dominant nation in the Sailing world today. 

I have huge respect for Blake and Dalton. But there are too many different sailing disciplines and perspectives for anyone or any nation to dominate it all.

Being a pro or Olympic sailor looks to be the only way to get out off NZ nowadays. Did they get themselves fully vaccinated? Hope so. It's dangerous out here. 

3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Being a pro or Olympic sailor looks to be the only way to get out off NZ nowadays. Did they get themselves fully vaccinated? Hope so. It's dangerous out here. 

Anyone can leave NZ for any reason, it's just that when returning they need to do a 14 stint in MIQ. Australia travel was open until the last few days where delta has got out of hand in NSW and VIC in particular.

Pfizer Vaccination data here https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-data-and-statistics/covid-19-vaccine-data

Basically running according to (a relatively slow) plan. But I've yet to hear of a 'walk-in' that got turned away.

In short anyone can get rNA vaccine and/or head out of NZ, they just have a stay upon return :-)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, rh3000 said:

In short anyone can get rNA vaccine and/or head out of NZ, they just have a stay upon return :-)

Stay (in 14 day MIQ) upon return

13 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Absolutely noone is disrespecting those sailors. The only person disrespecting anyone is you with your ridiculously uninformed blend of nationalistic horseshit.

If you are counting Blake then you must also count on the other hand Cayard, Elvstrom, MacArthur, Desjoyaix and many others. Insist on it being current and Blake disappears from the list and the greatest sailor currently is probably Ainslie. World sailing has no Kiwis at the top of dinghy rankings (Esp and Ned have most but USA, GB and Belgium also appear). SailGP is probably the only event with the best sailors of that type in and NZ are near the back

You only think NZ are the best because you only count races NZ win and disrespect anything else.

To everyone except 4U I apologise. Because he had replied to my post before I let myself get sucked into his vortex of delusional stupidity and replied to another of his posts. He is back on ignore. 

• Like 3
On 7/23/2021 at 11:24 PM, Forourselves said:

NZ won 88 (yes, they did, the trophy says so) 95, 2000, 2017, 2021

Interesting. Didn't know that. Why does the Cup say NZ won in 88? Who carves the names?

NZ obviously could not carve its name on the trophy for having won on the water because it didn't. NZ appealed to the courts to overturn the results on the water, and ultimately lost there as well, so I wondering when NZ considered itself the winner. Now, NZ did win initially in the trial court but San Diego appealed that decision within days and an appellate court overturned that decision within six months. NY's highest court affirmed San Diego as the winner after that.

Did NZ decide to carve its name on the Cup after the trial court ruling knowing that the decision was under appeal?  

3 hours ago, porthos said:

Interesting. Didn't know that. Why does the Cup say NZ won in 88? Who carves the names?

NZ obviously could not carve its name on the trophy for having won on the water because it didn't. NZ appealed to the courts to overturn the results on the water, and ultimately lost there as well, so I wondering when NZ considered itself the winner. Now, NZ did win initially in the trial court but San Diego appealed that decision within days and an appellate court overturned that decision within six months. NY's highest court affirmed San Diego as the winner after that.

Did NZ decide to carve its name on the Cup after the trial court ruling knowing that the decision was under appeal?  

So you're saying SD won the Cup twice in '88 and NZ once? So it's 6 to 5 for the US in Cups since '87. That math ok with you Clarkey? 

18 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

So you're saying SD won the Cup twice in '88 and NZ once? So it's 6 to 5 for the US in Cups since '87. That math ok with you Clarkey? 

If you are counting court decisions as well (which I guess 4O is), the Cup was available to win four times in 1988: (1) on the water; (2) in the NY Supreme Court; (3) in the NY Appellate Court; and (4) in the NY Court of Appeals. Final score was 3-1 SDYC.

16 minutes ago, porthos said:

If you are counting court decisions as well (which I guess 4O is), the Cup was available to win four times in 1988: (1) on the water; (2) in the NY Supreme Court; (3) in the NY Appellate Court; and (4) in the NY Court of Appeals. Final score was 3-1 SDYC.

Clarkey will only count what is engraved on the Cup itself I guess. Crazy those arrogant fucks had the audacity to engrave it and then left it there after Blake let the Cup get smashed into a plate.

I thought NZ made a big deal of reengraving because somebody either EB or LE used too big a font?  Could have removed the 88 mistake, lol.

7 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I thought NZ made a big deal of reengraving because somebody either EB or LE used too big a font?  Could have removed the 88 mistake, lol.

EB used a gigantor font to engrave his wins, which didn’t leave room for TNZ to record its wins in 2017. So, with the agreement of all past winners, RYS had the most recent ring remade in 2018 and put EBs wins in a normal font, which left room to record TNZ’s wins in 2017. Don’t know if they did anything with the 1988 engraving(s) in the process. Couldn’t find anything online about it. 

I now wish I would have looked more closely at the cup when I saw it in 2013.

50 minutes ago, porthos said:

I now wish I would have looked more closely at the cup when I saw it in 2013.

Here is 88, the best pic I could find up to now, but I'll carry on looking...

88.JPG.8f0298b8b08981d47e32a5339f6c4646.JPG

2 hours ago, pusslicker said:

No. Both San Diego and Micheal Fay had been before Judge Ciparick before the racing arguing the Monohull v Multihull issue. The Judge had told them to go racing as she had reserved her decision regarding the Monohull v Multihull issue until after the racing, so essentially there was never going to be a winner after the racing as both parties knew they would be heading back to the courts who would decide the winner.

After the racing concluded the Kiwi's celebrated feeling they had won the Cup, and the court later decided they did.

San Diego appealed that decision and won. 1-1

8 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

No. Both San Diego and Micheal Fay had been before Judge Ciparick before the racing arguing the Monohull v Multihull issue. The Judge had told them to go racing as she had reserved her decision regarding the Monohull v Multihull issue until after the racing, so essentially there was never going to be a winner after the racing as both parties knew they would be heading back to the courts who would decide the winner.

After the racing concluded the Kiwi's celebrated feeling they had won the Cup, and the court later decided they did.

San Diego appealed that decision and won. 1-1

Not quite. San Diego appealed the trial court decision to the intermediate appellate court and won.  Mercury Bay then appealed that decision to the Court of Appeals (highest court) and lost. Mercury Bay lost at both appellate levels.

1 minute ago, porthos said:

Not quite. San Diego appealed the trial court decision to the intermediate appellate court and won.  Mercury Bay then appealed that decision to the Court of Appeals (highest court) and lost. Mercury Bay lost at both appellate levels.

The number of appeals is merely process. It does not determine the number of wins.

The fact remains, NZ won, both San Diego and NZ as part of the Court process were entitled to go through the appeal process following the trial court decision until a winner is found.

That ultimately happened and San Diego was declared winner.

12 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

The number of appeals is merely process. It does not determine the number of wins.

The fact remains, NZ won, both San Diego and NZ as part of the Court process were entitled to go through the appeal process following the trial court decision until a winner is found.

That ultimately happened and San Diego was declared winner.

I should have learned by now not to correct your math. It insists upon itself.

Although I will say this: Mercury Bay certainly didn’t think multiple appeals were mere process as it appealed the intermediate appellate court decision to the NY Court of Appeals. 

33 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Here is 88, the best pic I could find up to now, but I'll carry on looking...

88.JPG.8f0298b8b08981d47e32a5339f6c4646.JPG

Self-quote... ohhhhh...

O.k. this pic is from here:
https://activerain.com/blogsview/4271651/the--america-s-cup--visits-anacortes

2062579902_Aussieengraving.jpg.4164981d879fdb8a2945ce7b1c6cc844.jpg

It shows more clearly than the pic above that S&S won both races in '88.
The overall winner of any Cup edition is nowhere to be found on the trophy.

Whoever claims different should have a good look.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Self-quote... ohhhhh...

Excellent work, Renny. Thank you.

6 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Self-quote... ohhhhh...

S+S did win both races in 88. The races did not determine the winner, the court did.

On 7/24/2021 at 5:24 AM, Forourselves said:

USA won 87, 88, 92, 2010 and 2013.

So its all square at 5 all.

5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

S+S did win both races in 88. The races did not determine the winner, the court did.

Bold in the first quote mine for emphasis.

Why can't you, just once, admit that you're wrong? Why?

Above you write that the trophy says that NZL won the 88 Cup. I found evidence that the trophy does not say this. Not more, not less. 
Why do you spin the topic now? What's wrong with you?

• Like 1
Just now, NeedAClew said:

So NZ never won in 88.  Not on the water and the ruling in its favor was reversed. 

Yes, they did. On the water, that year was irrelevant. 

4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Isn't it S and S? S+S is the vaporware from the last Cup.

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

Yes, they did. On the water, that year was irrelevant. 

Your bizarre logic and incessant trolling would be welcomed in PA.

2 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Above you write that the trophy says that NZL won the 88 Cup. I found evidence that the trophy does not say this. Not more, not less. 
Why do you spin the topic now? What'S wrong with you?

"After the completion of the races the battle returned to the courts and on 28 March 1989 the cup was awarded to New Zealand on the basis that the competition between a monohull and a catamaran was a gross mismatch and not in the spirit of friendly competition between countries.[1] However the Appellate Division reversed that ruling, saying the Deed of Gift does not limit design or say anything about the number of hulls a yacht may have, and the reversal was confirmed on 26 April 1990 by the New York Court of Appeals.[9] Thus San Diego retained the cup, defending it again at the 1992 America's Cup"

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

"After the completion of the races the battle returned to the courts and on 28 March 1989 the cup was awarded to New Zealand on the basis that the competition between a monohull and a catamaran was a gross mismatch and not in the spirit of friendly competition between countries.[1] However the Appellate Division reversed that ruling, saying the Deed of Gift does not limit design or say anything about the number of hulls a yacht may have, and the reversal was confirmed on 26 April 1990 by the New York Court of Appeals.[9] Thus San Diego retained the cup, defending it again at the 1992 America's Cup"

"NZ won 88 (yes, they did, the trophy says so)..."
Your quote, not mine.

If a court reverses the onwater results and makes an award to the loser of the 2 DoG races and that ruling is reversed and the reversal upheld, either the loser never ever won (ie lost)  or the loser got 1 of 3 court rulings, hence still losing. NZ did not win 88.

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

Pass the popcorn please 

This whole discussion should be moved to the FakeGP Circus thread, together with all you Failed Posters and the popcorn!

On 7/23/2021 at 11:20 PM, Forourselves said:

And yet they still have a series , one that you guaranteed would never get started , and you are still whining about it 3 years later . Priceless .

Clarkey, why your insistence that nobody cared about the AC until Aus won it in '83.  The majority of the sailing world were enthralled by the AC and the 12s for decades before that.  If nobody care about it there wouldn't have been multiple challenger series before then.  Just because you are only interested in sport contests that NZ's  are involved in does not mean every other person does not care about the AC.  Lift your sights mate.

• Like 1

finally got a chance to watch...black flag...

and - "we can't have another whuwyorizon job, quick press the rudder button".

I had a sys admin who would have some mates by and say, "watch his box restart with 9 seconds notice". Good chuckle...problem was I'd migrated to red hat and it was my office mate who would yell out "wtf is happening here"

wankers

but, i reckon the second day is 3 boat match races semi and finals. Less carnage but more fun to watch IMHO

4 hours ago, trt131 said:

Clarkey, why your insistence that nobody cared about the AC until Aus won it in '83.  The majority of the sailing world were enthralled by the AC and the 12s for decades before that.  If nobody care about it there wouldn't have been multiple challenger series before then.  Just because you are only interested in sport contests that NZ's  are involved in does not mean every other person does not care about the AC.  Lift your sights mate.

11 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Why do you spin the topic now? What's wrong with you?

When you admit being wrong about Nationality rules and ETNZ and/ or Dalton being "Traitors" I'll think aboiut doing the same, but you won't so...

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

When you admit being wrong about Nationality rules and ETNZ and/ or Dalton being "Traitors" I'll think aboiut doing the same, but you won't so...

Not sure what it was with nat rules, please add a quote that I know what to admit in the first place 

As for ETNZ being traitors, this is clearly an opinion while the trophy not showing TNZ as winners in 88 is a fact with evidence and all.

Stating that it is not so is an error at best and a lie at worst; it is not an opinion. 

8 hours ago, trt131 said:

The majority of the sailing world were enthralled by the AC and the 12s for decades before that. 

My first interest in the AC was when Freedom defended. I think that was the match just prior to 83.

6 hours ago, barfy said:

i reckon the second day is 3 boat match races semi and finals. Less carnage but more fun to watch IMHO

I agree, I thought the 3 boat race was more interesting than the whole fleet. Bigger numbers are not always better.

On 7/24/2021 at 3:28 PM, Forourselves said:

Safer to say no one cared about the AC post '07. Interest has definitely plummeted post '13.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, pusslicker said:

Interest has definitely plummeted post '13.

And plumbed new depths of public support and interest post 2021 here in the home of the AC but not for too much longer or evermore...

SailGP NZ team sailors did not have a good day

Josh Junior - 12, 10 th (19 in fleet)

Burling/Tuke - got a 12 (19 in fleet)

but it's a long regatta

It is a long way it is true. But, as they say, you have to be in it to win it. So it seems odd that a country that dominates all forms of sailing only has managed to get anyone qualified to be there in half of the sailing classes.

(Let me add for all reasonable Kiwis, i.e. most of you, that I have the utmost respect for NZ sailing in all its forms. For such a small country it is a good result to get representation in 50% of the classes. It just doesn't match the story of NZ being so utterly dominant)

22 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Dominating the shit out of 17th… 

that’s nothing though, the INEOS All Blacks.. got a lovely ring to it eh 4? 

It does, except INEOS didn't get naming rights, in fact so far, no one has ever been given naming rights to All Blacks, I think the same is true for most rugby teams?

14 hours ago, shebeen said:

SailGP NZ team sailors did not have a good day

Josh Junior - 12, 10 th (19 in fleet)

Burling/Tuke - got a 12 (19 in fleet)

but it's a long regatta

Don't point fingers at me if I am wrong but my gut feel is that Burlings and Tukes reign in the 49er Class will come to an end this year.

Germans Eric Heil/Thomas Plößel very nearly beat Burling/Tuke in their own backyard in Auckland in 2019 at the 49er World Championships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/49er_%26_49er_FX_World_Championships

8 hours ago, rh3000 said:

It does, except INEOS didn't get naming rights, in fact so far, no one has ever been given naming rights to All Blacks, I think the same is true for most rugby teams?

Oh don’t worry, I read the article too, I know it’s not naming rights, the thought of it  just made me chuckle 

14 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Oh don’t worry, I read the article too, I know it’s not naming rights, the thought of it  just made me chuckle 

The NZRFU has never occupied the high moral ground acquiescing to the apartheid state of South Africa to not sending coloured players Maoris being the local indigenous peoples of Aotearoa to compete in matches moving on to hosting the 1981 tour that tore the country apart what’s changed bedding with one of the worlds top industrial polluters.

18 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

careful, it who must be obeyed wont like the negative press, and direct you to a different forum.

early days for everyone though

um yes, here is the tokyo olympic thread

but i do think it is relevant as many of the dominant sailgp sailors have come through the olympic system, and what we're seeing now is a lot of the established elite dinghy sailors swapping between their campaigns and other top regattas.  

Admittedly I know fuck all about all this rugby stuff, but after watching the semi-finals in Tokyo... I still don't know.

Apparently New Zealand has got 3 Fiji born players in their team, kind of traitor's thus, while the real Fiji'ans pray a lot more.

So, I'm sorry for Four, but the Fiji warriors will beat the shit out of Team Maori/Itaukei, in a couple of hours!

If not, I will never post any thread drift in this thread again...

Fiji Go!!!

4 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

We agree! 

I'd be salty after that absolute pumping we gave you in the semis too! :P

Not actually seen the result, cheers… 

if you can’t love Fiji rugby then your dead inside ;-)

Fiji winning last time round actually meant something, any other top tier nation England New Zealand Australia South Africa winning? it’s a nice medal to have but it won’t change their lives, Not in the same way anyway

Argentina beat Great Britain for Bronze.

Probably a big thing for the Argentinian team, even though they were all born after the Falkland war.

Meanwhile Fijians going completely wild here, go Fiji go!

Half time, and I'm half deaf now. Fiji leading but All Blacks are fast!

PM. Well, sorry NZ, there was no stopping "us", some players began crying before the end.

Next a Fijian SailGP team, after all we have a Fijian Laser Radial girl going for it, trained with the NZ team, thank you TNZ.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

So, I'm sorry for Four, but the Fiji warriors will beat the shit out of Team Maori/Itaukei, in a couple of hours!

If not, I will never post any thread drift in this thread again...

Fiji Go!!!

Lucky for you eh FB. Nice job by Fiji!

• Like 1

We discussed some time ago the lack of interest in sailing in UK. Perhaps one of the more telling signs is that when BBC bought the UK coverage rights for the Olympics, they didn't include a single second of the sailing- live or on replay. Not even highlights.

Despite it being GB's most successful Olympic sport down the ages.

4 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

We discussed some time ago the lack of interest in sailing in UK. Perhaps one of the more telling signs is that when BBC bought the UK coverage rights for the Olympics, they didn't include a single second of the sailing- live or on replay. Not even highlights.

Despite it being GB's most successful Olympic sport down the ages.

Quite a kick in the teeth. Especially as Hannah Mills was one of the flag bearers at the opening ceremony.

• Like 1

Giles Scott showed Josh Junior a clean pair of heels today in the Finn Class and is now leading at the Half Way Mark of the Regatta.

Generally speaking the Brits doing pretty well.

Fletcher/Bithell leading the 49er Class

2nd in the NACRA-17 at the half way mark!

6 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Giles Scott showed Josh Junior a clean pair of heels today in the Finn Class and is now leading at the Half Way Mark of the Regatta.

Generally speaking the Brits doing pretty well.

Fletcher/Bithell leading the 49er Class

2nd in the NACRA-17 at the half way mark!

And a guaranteed medal in the women’s RSX going into the medal race.

GB actually now have 3 in first place (49er men; 49er women, Finn) and 4 in 2nd place (470 men, 470 women; NACRA; RS:X women)  Not bad from 10 classes. Still a way to go though

• Like 3

Emma Wilson (GBR RS-X) is Penny Wilson (Way's) daughter. Three times Women's World Racing Champion in the 1980s/90s. British windsurfers of a certain age will remember.

Eilidh McIntyre (GBR 470) is daughter of Mike McIntyre, who won a Star Gold in 1998 and remains an active sailor, sometimes as a father-daughter team.

Amid all the cynicism the Olympics can bring, I love that family aspect.

• Like 2

Even the BBC finally managed a small comment and a picture of Scott today (I complained yesterday about the lack of coverage) when they copied in this tweet

Think how many races he would win if he was from the most dominant Olympic sailing country… oh wait ;-) 

First race today.

Dominating that water.

That other dude shouldn't have cut his mullet off. Bad luck to cut a mullet off like that right before a big event.