3 minutes ago, shebeen said:

equal with the spaniards too.

how does tiebreak work in medal race? it should count the last race result, but i guess it could come back to best best results.

I'd missed that. They are equal with kiwis on 1st and 2nds so its currently broken on who has most 3rds which is quite unusual.

There is no difference for the medal race on a tie-break AFAIK except that it cannot be included as a discard. And since discards don't count for that tie-break it could influence matters a touch. Doubt any of that will be needed by the end though - one way or another

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to stop and take a photo of this today (not like I'm pushed for time during lockdown ). Looks like my youngest likes SailGP. Perhaps the boats are just easier to build with lego than the foiling

Some of you are truly amusing. Let's start with a simple truth. This event was probably the best televised sailing I have ever seen. Sure, there is room for improvement but the racing was epic, t

i didnt bag the ac dipshit. quite strangely you identify yourself with that event and you feel like if someone bags on you, that means the event. i thought it was good. you on the other hand must be f

Posted Images

Dumb Q: How does the 'Medal Race' soring work, do first, second, third score 2, 4, 6 points instead of 1, 2, 3? Also, do only the top-ten advance to the Medal Race?

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Dumb Q: How does the 'Medal Race' soring work, do first, second, third score 2, 4, 6 points instead of 1, 2, 3? Also, do only the top-ten advance to the Medal Race?

That's excatly how it works!

Hopefully Germany gets some Medals!

Burling/Tuke are now leading

# 1 Burling/Tuke   52 Points

# 2 Fletcher/Bithell   56 Points

# 3 Botin/Lopez-Marra  56 Points

But this is not as clear as it was in Rio 2016!

On 7/24/2021 at 10:28 PM, Forourselves said:

but those that matter know NZ is the dominant nation in the Sailing world today. 

I think this other contribution from the master should not be forgotten. 

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/sailing/medal-standings.htm

Evidently the IOC don't matter.

Though the medal standings are unfair because they include all the classes that NZ didn't have anyone to qualify. So they shouldn't count

• Like 2

Clearly you can’t count wins in boats that weren’t driven  by Pete. (Blair doesn’t count anymore as he isn’t allowed to drive) 

So basically NZ have a 100% record of winning a medal in a boat where Pete is driving. (Determining colour of medal isn’t important)

no other classes or competitors matter as no one has won the AC instantly making them Worthless… 

Pete won. NZ is the best. 

• Like 1

Well time to move from Olympics back to SailGP (not sure whether that will please 4U or not now). 2 weeks to Denmark.

Are all the teams back to full strength or any of the Olympians taking a break does anyone know? Not much of a gap otherwise

Ben should be fresh once he escapes nappy duty so hopefully he will be on form

9 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Well time to move from Olympics back to SailGP (not sure whether that will please 4U or not now). 2 weeks to Denmark.

Are all the teams back to full strength or any of the Olympians taking a break does anyone know? Not much of a gap otherwise

Ben should be fresh once he escapes nappy duty so hopefully he will be on form

Yeah, I'd really like him & SailGP GBR Team to win Season 2. Not sure it will be managable though!

2 hours ago, Xlot said:

I guess it’ll be a fight to the death for relevance with SailGP

That's very exciting project, with a great team behind it.

And potentially a far more realistic chance of a "sustainable" class than FailGP , I would think.

Should be worthy of a new thread, Xlot.

Might try to trade in my non-foiling 8kn shitbox, if they make that thing self-righting...

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

That's very exciting project, with a great team behind it.

And potentially a far more realistic chance of a "sustainable" class than FailGP , I would think.

Should be worthy of a new thread, Xlot.

Might try to trade in my non-foiling 8kn shitbox, if they make that thing self-righting...

I’m not rushing out to buy stock in that one. Do they think running a racing circuit is cheap or free?

Anytime someone tells me to “stay tuned”, that’s the signal to tune out.

4 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Well they maneuver better. In simulation.

They will turn better than the cats - which are cumbersome. Even the big AC75 is more manoeuverable than the F50. Logistically they'll be better as well - won't need to be totally dissembled like they do with the cats. So less person hours to get back on the water. They should use these in the Gp, but Wusses ego won't admit he got it wrong.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

They will turn better than the cats - which are cumbersome. Even the big AC75 is more manoeuverable than the F50. Logistically they'll be better as well - won't need to be totally dissembled like they do with the cats. So less person hours to get back on the water. They should use these in the Gp, but Wusses ego won't admit he got it wrong.

What makes you think SGP won't change boats? All we have seen so far is constant design upgrades, new boats to replace old ones, and an increasing number of teams with brand new ones too. If Russ wants to switch, I bet it's no problem to Larry.  The path is strongly 'upward.' 

3 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Wow, you really drew a lot out of a 20 second bit of promo vapourware!!

A 40fter should turn better than a 50fter. Something wrong if it doesn't.

Any actual proof the AC75 is maneuverable than the F50?

Logistically better? Why? Don't the F50s break down completely to pack into 40ft containers. No ballast. Bout as good as you get sail boat storage, transport and logistics wise.

Never seen a 40ft mono go in a 40ft container. Be interesting to see.

I suspect if a provably better platform comes along, SailGP will change in a heartbeat. Certainly wont do it over vapourware.

4 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Logistically anything that needs lifting up with a crane to fit its foils or lifting in and out each night ( beacause of the foils)  has bigger issues than if it will fit inside a container in one piece. 

6 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

What makes you think SGP won't change boats? All we have seen so far is constant design upgrades, new boats to replace old ones, and an increasing number of teams with brand new ones too. If Russ wants to switch, I bet it's no problem to Larry.  The path is strongly 'upward.' 

Would Core build them? SGP is job keeper for Core. 

On 8/3/2021 at 3:50 PM, enigmatically2 said:

I think this other contribution from the master should not be forgotten. 

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/sailing/medal-standings.htm

Evidently the IOC don't matter.

Though the medal standings are unfair because they include all the classes that NZ didn't have anyone to qualify. So they shouldn't count

NZ will be quite disappointed not to get a gold for 49er and any medal for finns.

obviously the AC campaign and then SailGP was what they were doing whilst competitors were solely on their campaigns. Giles scott made it work, but he didn't do sailgp

9 hours ago, Wandering Geo said:

Any actual proof the AC75 is maneuverable than the F50?

Pretty sure Ashby, Burling, and Spittle all alluded to the fact that the AC75 was significantly more manoeuverable than the cats. You could see it in the racing as well, the way they threw the 75 around through tacks/gybes and roundings.

9 hours ago, Wandering Geo said:

Logistically better? Why? Don't the F50s break down completely to pack into 40ft containers. No ballast. Bout as good as you get sail boat storage, transport and logistics wise.

The cats are fully pulled apart, then need reassembling. A mono would just need the foil arms taken off. The monos would be much quicker to get back on the water. Again, this is very obvious........

7 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Logistically anything that needs lifting up with a crane to fit its foils or lifting in and out each night ( beacause of the foils)  has bigger issues than if it will fit inside a container in one piece. 

The cats need craning, as does the wing......and the cats don't fit inside a container in one piece - but many pieces.

10 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

What makes you think SGP won't change boats?

Well, they've a significant investment in them for a start. But yeah as they control everything they could change if they wanted to.

A 40ft mono foiler would make for better racing imo. The cats are too fickle and shit at manoeuvering. They're too big and clumsy for the size of the courses as well.

6 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

A 40ft mono foiler would make for better racing imo. The cats are too fickle and shit at manoeuvering. They're too big and clumsy for the size of the courses as well.

I agree with most of what you say Horn, but not sure on this last bit. The cats aren't shit at manoeuvring, though they may not be as good as a foiling mono. But i certainly don't think they are too fickle. Depends on how well these other monos sail when the wind is too light for foiling. The cats are slow in comparison to when they are foiling (obvs) but viable. Are these new monos? 

Also (and I think more importantly), the AC windward foil was dangerous enough in a match race, with such a hazard like that hanging out in a fleet race it could be a step over the line of acceptability. 

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

the AC windward foil was dangerous enough in a match race, with such a hazard like that hanging out in a fleet race it could be a step over the line of acceptability. 

Yeah could be an issue. Phil R might need to tone it down, but these are some of the best skippers in the business.

10 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Yeah could be an issue. Phil R might need to tone it down, but these are some of the best skippers in the business.

But I think it would take away from skippers skillset if they had to have large and invisible safety areas as per AC

On 8/6/2021 at 6:01 PM, Horn Rock said:

considering the amount of collisions this season alone (at least 4 I think?), not sure the whole "can opener" to windward thing is a good idea... just think what could have happened with Nate/Jimmy in Bermuda.

The invisible "boat in a bubble" protection zones, castrated match racing rules to prevent aggressive go for the kill moves, "slow down for a bit" penalties and the electronic gps with "to the mm" judging with predictive look forward ghost boats sure helped make the AC a showcase of match racing skills for the skippers....What is the best emoji or emoticon to convey sarcasm? - Quora

Maybe the 40 mono foilers should be designed so that both foils stay down.  Change the foil design and control surfaces as needed.  Might be a bit safer for close boat to boat racing than the exposed can opener.  But maybe crashes and gore will build excitement, viewership (and sponsor money) for those that dont GAS about boat racing. 

Rubbin' is racin' - GIF on Imgur

On 8/6/2021 at 7:26 PM, Xlot said:

Ahem. RC44

Yeah, sort of. Highly modified, expensive as buggery, 40ft semi-container (no sides or roof

https://www.sail-world.com/Australia/A-revolution-in-boat-transport/-28980?source=google

Had to fiddle the beam and make the stern removable to get it to work,.

Vapourware video suggests much wider boat than the RC.

Don't see how the could jam it in a conventional container (flip side ways??) like they manage to do with the broken down 50s. 

On 8/7/2021 at 12:17 AM, Horn Rock said:

Pretty sure Ashby, Burling, and Spittle all alluded to the fact that the AC75 was significantly more manoeuverable than the cats. You could see it in the racing as well, the way they threw the 75 around through tacks/gybes and roundings.

The cats are fully pulled apart, then need reassembling. A mono would just need the foil arms taken off. The monos would be much quicker to get back on the water. Again, this is very obvious........

The cats need craning, as does the wing......and the cats don't fit inside a container in one piece - but many pieces.

Well, they've a significant investment in them for a start. But yeah as they control everything they could change if they wanted to.

Dunno, stated turning advantage very inconclusive as far as I am concerned. Will wait until I see 1 racing the other.

Not obvious at all. How long does it take to fit heavy, awkward shaped appendages compared to light ones. Monos need to be fully pulled apart to. Rudder, keel, foils, mast. Nothin left after that.

Mono needs craning as does the mast? Where is the advanatge. Dont think mono can fit in container at all (too wide).

Foiling cats are much less fickle than foiling monos. Really stretching the tech envelope to get a slow/heavy mono to perform like a multi does easily. (not a big step from multi to foiling multi, huge step, mono to foiling mono: power sources for ballast and computer control).

I would like to see then both work, time will tell

FINALLY, the gloves are coming off ahead of the SailGP Event in Aarhus next weekend:

Jimmys Team has accused Tom Slingsby of not being legit:D

• Like 1
On 8/12/2021 at 4:48 PM, Wandering Geo said:

I would like to see then both work

This.

BOOOOOM

E83Hwo-XMAUvuCv?format=png&name=medium

NZ Government is a big JOKE! First ATP & WTA had to cancel the Auckland Tennis Tournaments in the 1st Week of January because Staff have not been allowed to gain Entry to the Country and now this!

No SailGP for you, Auckland! Maybe Blair and Tuke with no nondomestic tourists aren't as much of a draw as they were before. Oh well. 

Was that a laughing kangaroo I just saw hopping by?  Maybe Sydney will be out of lockdown and looking to see Tom, Ben  or whoever kick their ass.  

ouch that's not goood for the event or the venue - really hope this can be sorted through a positive lens. theres a dedicated facility for maritime border miq such as seafearers - maybe one is needed for major events eg allblack & wallabies rugby teams have just managed to play an international in NZ

2 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Seems hypocritical when they let the AC teams enter the country.

160 is far too many people for not enough economic impact... the numbers just don't stack up evidently...

• Like 2

SailGP Season 2 Episode 4: crushed hopes and thwarted plans

SailGP S2Ep 5: new regattas announced in Miami and Pensacola

SailGP S2Ep 6: unionization of employees, Florida regattas postponed to 2022 

Imaginary Font

• Like 1

SGP NZ's case was ~NZ$20m in income - FWIW Karl Budge is a class act, having brought ATP & WTA Auckland Open from a local backwater comp to somewhat of a boutique offering with very high support and patronage in NZ - it was a coup for SGP to nab him.

He provides a pretty dispassionate account of their bid, and the outcome.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/checkpoint/audio/2018808450/all-blacks-win-miq-but-sail-grand-prix-not-so-lucky

Gtran from Google Translate

Erik Heil and Thomas Plößel announce in their current newsletter that they will be on site with other German sailors as observers at the Rockwool Denmark Sail Grand Prix in the Danish sailing metropolis of Aarhus on August 20th. You have been in contact with the SailGP organizers around Russell Coutts for some time. "He is interested in a German team for the circuit."

• Like 1
19 hours ago, rh3000 said:

SGP NZ's case was ~NZ$20m in income - FWIW Karl Budge is a class act, having brought ATP & WTA Auckland Open from a local backwater comp to somewhat of a boutique offering with very high support and patronage in NZ - it was a coup for SGP to nab him.

He provides a pretty dispassionate account of their bid, and the outcome.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/checkpoint/audio/2018808450/all-blacks-win-miq-but-sail-grand-prix-not-so-lucky

The interviewer was very good, pointed questions.  

"sports entertainment" Budge

"about as much [$] as an All Blacks game" interviewer

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

Gtran from Google Translate

Erik Heil and Thomas Plößel announce in their current newsletter that they will be on site with other German sailors as observers at the Rockwool Denmark Sail Grand Prix in the Danish sailing metropolis of Aarhus on August 20th. You have been in contact with the SailGP organizers around Russell Coutts for some time. "He is interested in a German team for the circuit."

Oh please, please let this be true. Marvellous! Hope it happens!:)

49 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Just watched this.

Amazes me that SailGP makes a doco style video about how much SailGP as an organisation has disrespected and screwed over Phil Robertson 

Let's be clear: Phil Robertson is an absolute RECKLESS Sailor and has endangered the Spanish Team and other SailGP Competitors with his bratty behaviour of driving the boat.

Even Ainslie or Spithill ain't as reckless as he is!

4 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Oh please, please let this be true. Marvellous! Hope it happens!:)

RC already hinted in a recent interview that the next two SailGP teams would be Team Italy and Team Germany. This report solidifies the second prospect, for sure. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

RC already hinted in a recent interview that the next two SailGP teams would be Team Italy and Team Germany. This report solidifies the second prospect, for sure. 

I think the success Germany had in Enoshima moved the needle here.

# 1 Eric Heil/Thomas Plößel won Bronze in the 49er Class.

# 2 Paul Kohlhoff/Alica Stuhlemmer won Bronze in the Nacra17.

# 3 Susann Beucke/Tina Lutz won Silver in the Women's 49er FX.

Don't you think so?

2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Let's be clear: Phil Robertson is an absolute RECKLESS Sailor and has endangered the Spanish Team and other SailGP Competitors with his bratty behaviour of driving the boat.

20 years ago, racing hydro foiling sailboats around an enclosed course was considered reckless.

Phil is a champion. You don't become a champion unless you're willing to push the boundaries.

None of this changes the fact that SailGP has and is disrespecting Phil Robertson and his achievements.

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

20 years ago, racing hydro foiling sailboats around an enclosed course was considered reckless.

Phil is a champion. You don't become a champion unless you're willing to push the boundaries.

None of this changes the fact that SailGP has and is disrespecting Phil Robertson and his achievements.

LOL, what has he archieved? You only supporting him because he has a New Zealand Passport!

19 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

4 someone that was on record as saying they won’t watch Sail GP, you seem to have done a lot of clicking on the ol You tubes… 

For someone who said they weren't obsessed with me you seem to be replying a lot.

3 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

awkwardly faster than another couple of boats...

At least they've got one fast boat, cos the last 2 were dogs.

Must be refreshing for you to see the Brits going fast for a change.

11 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

You mean unlike in the Olympics?

23 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Utter bullshit.  I don't think he has put a scratch on anyone's boat.  He has tried a different tactic than following the herd on the stupid reaching starts.  The US barely had to move the wheel to avoid when he was black flagged.  Maybe they should just put on a parade and throw beads to the crowd instead of race.

13 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

No, I mean unlike the Americas Cup. 

Oh, so you mean a change not from the last big sailing event (Olympics) , or before that (SailGP) but the one before that?

It's been a while. 

At least the Kiwis should make top 10. Which will be a nice change for you

1 minute ago, enigmatically2 said:

Oh, so you mean a change not from the last big sailing event (Olympics) , or before that (SailGP) but the one before that?

It's been a while. 

At least the Kiwis should make top 10. Which will be a nice change for you

Lets be honest, the Kiwi's were 1 second off a gold medal, which is a far cry from how far the Brits were/ are from winning the Americas Cup, in any cycle.

You wanna talk about "A while" 170 years is a while.

Its been 170 years since the first time the Brits lost the Cup, and have NEVER seen it since.

The Brits might finally make a final which will be a nice change for you.

can see just 5 teams in the practice video released on social so far - wonder if the other 3 had time in that same pressure - forecast looks lighter for weekend, slightly more on sunday

On 7/31/2021 at 6:38 AM, Stingray~ said:

Medal races are quite complex as the dynamics of racing in a 10 boat fleet are very different to the 20 odd in full fleets. The full fleet are essentially gold fleet standard meaning no expense spared for sails/ coaches/2nd Games etc so speed differences are small - half/quarter of a boat length over a windward leg would be generous. 

In the medal race everyone's essentially the same with their individual strengths trying to get half a boat length here and there. Tokyo was interesting as it didn't pay to go up the middle, so big decisions on which side to commit and who to cover/attack which in a 10 boat fleet with everyone short on weak points is not easy. This is where conversion really comes in and the best hold their nerve. A Gold is really something.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, btime said:

can see just 5 teams in the practice video released on social so far - wonder if the other 3 had time in that same pressure - forecast looks lighter for weekend, slightly more on sunday

They are not "Racing" on Sunday this Weekend, only Friday & Saturday.

13 minutes ago, btime said:

thanks dg, friday looks better - westerly 14 gusting 21 knots

Yeah, Friday looks decent. I am worried about Saturday though mate!

9 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Hook line and sinker… haha! 

the only boat faster was AM.. slightly inconvenient for you I know.  

18 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

UK team hit 53.1 kt in practice racing. Almost lost rudder grip  after but didn't.

Ben's back.

Is there video of this? What wing configuation? I wonder if SGP's gonna do a "race to 100kmh" like they did with 50 knots now that they've gone metric

9 minutes ago, crashtack said:

Is there video of this? What wing configuation? I wonder if SGP's gonna do a "race to 100kmh" like they did with 50 knots now that they've gone metric

Yeah on their Facebook. Go look. 

14 hours ago, Forourselves said:

On reflection this is awkward too.. the only boat slower that NZ B2 was Prada. 

yes NZ won the cup will be your counter. But hey this ones about top speeds. 

Your precious AC50? Not a hope. 

3388544A-BE0A-4E7A-A821-222627E76097.png

They pay Facebook but might get ad revenues or something. Are there ads? Do you sign up for email lists? Do they get permission in fine print to share your info?