3 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

The foil broke, not the boat. 

zoom in on the foil and it’s pretty clear 

Typed while the above was being posted 

Watch till the end of the video, it failed well before the mark 

^ @JALhazmat perceptive note 

3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

It does look like that  @JALhazmat

^(After watching video carefully per @JALhazmatperceptive note )

2 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Look like what? 

it only looks like what it is on the video 

^ THAT is what was on the video. 

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to stop and take a photo of this today (not like I'm pushed for time during lockdown ). Looks like my youngest likes SailGP. Perhaps the boats are just easier to build with lego than the foiling

I've never been annoyed this much watching otherwise excellent racing or in fact any sailing ever.  The sailors and sailing are awesome, boats are good for trashing around short courses - how can

Some of you are truly amusing. Let's start with a simple truth. This event was probably the best televised sailing I have ever seen. Sure, there is room for improvement but the racing was epic, t

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

^ @JALhazmat perceptive note 

^(After watching video carefully per @JALhazmatperceptive note )

^ THAT is what was on the video. 

Indeed, just double checked That, and it is exactly What you said to the Twat.

42 minutes ago, accnick said:

I hate to tell you, but in the grand scheme of things, all sailboat racing is insignificant.

If we are talking the grandest scheme, our entire galaxy is insignificant.

2 hours ago, crashtack said:

Is it just me, or did most of the "winners" on the upwind come out of the right side, especially in the upper half of the beats (notable exception being ainslie in the first one, second upwind). Saw A LOT of leaders lose boatlengths and positions by not covering the right...

Iirc then most boats were going left upwind in Races 2 and 3. Sure was a streaky out there.

Wind is apparently going to go light tomorrow, and from the south.

7 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Snakes and ladders but it was great-fun racing.

AaurhusDay1.thumb.png.a56d57d64ca8de3c7897a842da6a1dbf.png

Correction.. from Minefield of conditions in Denmark sees Great Britain SailGP Team battle back hard (yachtsandyachting.com)

Overall leaderboard after three races:

1. AUS 18pts
2. GBR 17pts
3. USA 16pts
4. DEN 15pts
5. NZL 14pts (2pts deducted for contact with FRA)
6. JPN 13pts
7. FRA 6pts (4pts deducted for contact with NZL)
8. ESP 0pts

8 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Correction.. from Minefield of conditions in Denmark sees Great Britain SailGP Team battle back hard (yachtsandyachting.com)

Overall leaderboard after three races:

1. AUS 18pts
2. GBR 17pts
3. USA 16pts
4. DEN 15pts
5. NZL 14pts (2pts deducted for contact with FRA)
6. JPN 13pts
7. FRA 6pts (4pts deducted for contact with NZL)
8. ESP 0pts

how does NZ lose a point for contact?  that's dumb.

Some explanation from Sailing: Collision mars New Zealand's strong start to Denmark SailGP leg - NZ Herald

"They fouled us, but there's some pretty strict rules on collisions in SailGP and unfortunately the umpire deemed us to have not done enough to try and avoid the incident," New Zealand wing-trimmer Blair Tuke told Newstalk ZB's D'Arcy Waldegrave.

"These boats are pretty fast and racing is tight, so it's just to try and deter or lower the chance of damage between the boats. It got a bit stronger after the Japanese and USA crash in Bermuda in round one; it got quite a lot stricter after that.

6 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Some explanation from Sailing: Collision mars New Zealand's strong start to Denmark SailGP leg - NZ Herald

"They fouled us, but there's some pretty strict rules on collisions in SailGP and unfortunately the umpire deemed us to have not done enough to try and avoid the incident," New Zealand wing-trimmer Blair Tuke told Newstalk ZB's D'Arcy Waldegrave.

"These boats are pretty fast and racing is tight, so it's just to try and deter or lower the chance of damage between the boats. It got a bit stronger after the Japanese and USA crash in Bermuda in round one; it got quite a lot stricter after that.

In the Twitter video there Pete remarks that FRA 'skidded sideways' and the clip does show it. Tough call. 

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

In the Twitter video there Pete remarks that FRA 'skidded sideways' and the clip does show it. Tough call. 

exactly. i didnt see anything to warrant them a penalty of any sort.

16 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

One should not assume.. 

Do you know the one of an english gentleman who, after coming home unexpectedly, found a stranger's umbrella in the stand, and assumed he was making love to his wife?

Well, he ran upstairs, found him thumping his wife, ran down again, broke the umbrella in two, and exclaimed "I hope it will rain".

True story...

Edited by Fiji Bitter
Clarified somewhat
9 hours ago, Forourselves said:

No, I didn't. Its what people keep telling me. I keep telling them we're winners and they just say "Not in SailGP" which in the grand scheme of things, is insignificant. 

You weren't winners in the Olympics, either, which by common consent is the most significant event. 

SailGP is significant. How do we define what is significant? Well first and foremost because the top sailors want to compete in it. Which plainly they do. And their presence then makes it the only event where we can see all that talent compete- and especially because it is on equal terms

3 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Told you. If you're gonna dish it out. You have to be able to take it without throwing a tantrum like you do.

No one was dishing out anything, certainly wasn’t addressed to you either so what are you on about?  Fiji calls twat, gets told to fuck off? 

seems a reasonable response yes? 

2 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

You weren't winners in the Olympics, either, which by common consent is the most significant event. 

SailGP is significant. How do we define what is significant? Well first and foremost because the top sailors want to compete in it. Which plainly they do. And their presence then makes it the only event where we can see all that talent compete- and especially because it is on equal terms

The only skipper without a race win… Pete. 

What do you people think of the GBR JPN call?

I think it would be a bad one if Sailgp was ISAF rules. JPN had already started ducking when GBR bore down and if JPN had started a tack Ben had enough room to go up to let outerridge finish his tack. in normal ISAF racing "room at the mark" in fleet racing means you have room for your boat around the mark, not room to do the perfect tack around the mark. Not much different in a laser as the boat is very maneuverable but very different in a fast foiling boat.

but on the sailgp rules it says "The boat on the outside must allow the inside boat to take the turn as they wish." so i guess JPN can make GBR tack and tack afterwards with this rule. Not really well designed

i can't find the actual rules pdf that the teams prbly have.

1 minute ago, serialsailor said:

I think it would be a bad one if Sailgp was ISAF rules. JPN had already started ducking when GBR bore down and if JPN had started a tack Ben had enough room to go up to let outerridge finish his tack. in normal ISAF racing "room at the mark" in fleet racing means you have room for your boat around the mark, not room to do the perfect tack around the mark. Not much different in a laser as the boat is very maneuverable but very different in a fast foiling boat.

but on the sailgp rules it says "The boat on the outside must allow the inside boat to take the turn as they wish." so i guess JPN can make GBR tack and tack afterwards with this rule. Not really well designed

The on board from Japan showed no change of course, so as they said in commentary there was no aborted attempt at a mark rounding, instead a hypothetical challenge 

3 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

The on board from Japan showed no change of course, so as they said in commentary there was no aborted attempt at a mark rounding, instead a hypothetical challenge 

Yes i agree it's a "professional" protest button push by Nathan. I don't think he was sure it would work.

35 minutes ago, serialsailor said:

That was a very bad call by the Umpires. But to be fair it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the Podium Race. Ainslie messed up two Starts today. He recovered in the Final Fleet Race to make it to the Podium Race.

AND then he messed up the Start in the Podium Race again.

Considering that GBR could have not made the Podium Race I'll take a 3rd Place. Sure Benny wants to win but upon Reflection he will take a 3rd Place in a heartbeat. Consistency is the KEY in SailGP: GBR did not finish below 6th Place in 4 Events.

Bermuda: Winner / Taranto: 6th Place / Plymouth: 4th Place / Aarhus: 3rd Place.

15 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

That was a very bad call by the Umpires. But to be fair it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the Podium Race. Ainslie messed up two Starts today. He recovered in the Final Fleet Race to make it to the Podium Race.

AND then he messed up the Start in the Podium Race again.

Considering that GBR could have not made the Podium Race I'll take a 3rd Place. Sure Benny wants to win but upon Reflection he will take a 3rd Place in a heartbeat. Consistency is the KEY in SailGP: GBR did not finish below 6th Place in 4 Events.

Bermuda: Winner / Taranto: 6th Place / Plymouth: 4th Place / Aarhus: 3rd Place.

The call was right, by the rules. The problem came from JPN messing up the rounding and the penalty became ridiculous.  IMHO the call was right but the umpires need leeway on the penalty, which they currently don't have.

18 hours ago, Potter said:

Not a chance, the anchor is dropped from nearly the  centre of the mark. Considering these marks are essentially 20ft containers on floats the anchor chain is never at an angle that the foils can hit. Even in San Francisco or Cowes tidal flow. 

Doh, didn't realise they were using the Exclusion zone mark for rounding practice. They are normally on just 10m of chain and the rest is warp, but it does look like they hit it.. 

1 hour ago, Potter said:

The call was right, by the rules. The problem came from JPN messing up the rounding and the penalty became ridiculous.  IMHO the call was right but the umpires need leeway on the penalty, which they currently don't have.

Allow umpires to exercise "leeway" with the Rules, and I think you'd open Pandora's Box.

I've seen BA in races from years past;  if positions had been reversed, I very much doubt he'd knock back that opportunity to force a penalty if he could.

Slingers played well given light breeze and a new crew member. Consistently fast and always sneaking through the fleet.

Yeah that call was an interesting one... not great that all 30 spectators watching online hear the profanities and disappointment for the next 5 mins after the event.

My feeling was that there was plenty of room to go inside.  But that's my view.

More fundamentally the current penalty rules are daft. I have seen several cases where deliberately taking a penalty was preferable to the alternative, and the only escalation they have is a black flag. In some cases the penalty was no penalty at all as it was immediately cleared.

But in this case GB could have done several turns and still come out ahead. I think they need to rethink the penalties and perhaps have alternatives

• Like 2

As Ben said, how much space did they want. GB are actually outside the circle when Japan should be tacking. I can't see any turn that JPN want to do that they either have room for, unless they are going for the other mark in which case port-stbd applies

image.png

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Told you. If you're gonna dish it out. You have to be able to take it without throwing a tantrum like you do.

Told you? Like some shit from kindergarten. What is exactly getting dished out? This isn't a hill you're dying on here, it's just meaningless pixels.

• Like 1

Spot the irony as Ben keeps his perfect record of making GP finals and your beloved  has yet to reach one

Or win a race? Or did he finally get one in the first race today? 

I am sure we would have heard if they did? 

10 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

If the Olympics are the most significant event, where are the Olympians? Burling and Tuke and the NZ team are the only olympians in SailGP.

I know I'm late, but I think day 2 exemplified the things that still need (desperate) fixing with SGP. First of all, they shouldn't have sailed at all today. Total crapshoot, foiling boats in a foiling series should not be drifting around at 4knots with both hulls planted. It didn't make for good viewing.

Second, the opaque and confusing rules. In what fucking world does a boat have room to tack on the inside of another one at a top mark? Two boats came out of a crossing situation perfectly clear with neither changing course, one came out with a series-ending penalty. WTF? I was confused as a sailor, I can only imagine what "non-sailor" viewers were thinking.

Third, and I guess this is tied in with the first point - taking positions as they are according to the computer "standings" when the time limit runs out, completely, utterly ridiculous. I DARE anyone to make sense of the standings in the screenshot below and argue for their logic. Having this decide who went through to the final race was nothing but farcical. If you're going to have a time limit, TLE everyone who didn't make it! They didn't finish the race! Don't just make up random numbers.

https://puu.sh/I5A3a/c1c9936f02.jpg

Oh, and of course the relative penalties which are completely insane when you have one boat foiling and another in displacement in marginal conditions. On a downwind leg, Ben would have had to sail halfway back up the beat to clear himself because Nathan came off the foils purely on his own.

I'm all for using technology and more quantified metrics in sailing, but when shit like the gbr-jpn call (which I assume was just an automated thing) and the computer standings decide entire regattas, it makes SGP look like a clown show.

Ultimately, I think none of these things would have happened if they had just raced another day (thursday seemed fun), or at the very least didn't set a course directly under a ton of skyscrapers when the average wind speed is 8knots. Day 1 was good though, the first race was possibly the most interesting one in all of SGP so far.

Oh, and I think if those umpires were on the water and not in a box somewhere Ben might have shown off his swimming/diving skills again...

• Like 1

So who are the "Top" sailors? They're not the olympians, because there's no olympians other than the Kiwi's in SailGP.

All the "Top" sailors in SailGP are all from the Americas Cup. Even Coutts said that.

The Olympics exists independent of the Americas Cup. SailGP doesn't.

Even with the big wings a race was called for time?!?

Addendum:

Announcer on CBS SPORTS that MrC taped said "big wings."

You could also hear the swearing lol.

I think LE calling his docudrama "The Wind Gods" had delayed repercussions. Aren't these venues supposed to be better conditions?

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

If the Olympics are the most significant event, where are the Olympians? Burling and Tuke and the NZ team are the only olympians in SailGP.

I think that post may have hit a new record of demonstrating your ignorance of all matters sailing

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

I think that post may have hit a new record of demonstrating your ignorance of all matters sailing

Ben Ainslie, Jimmy Spithill, Tom Slingsby, Phil Robertson, Billy Besson, Pete Burling, Nathan Outteridge, how many went to Tokyo 2020?

You said the most significant event in Sailing is the Olympics. So where are the Olympians?

As Ben said, how much space did they want. GB are actually outside the circle when Japan should be tacking. I can't see any turn that JPN want to do that they either have room for, unless they are going for the other mark in which case port-stbd applies

image.png

The lack of steering input for a mark rounding and the smooth line taken to the other mark indicates a distinct plan to take the other mark. 

100% Nathan was right To protest Based on his position within the circle But all that would serve to do was the highlight inadequacy  within the rules

18 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Ben Ainslie, Jimmy Spithill, Tom Slingsby, Phil Robertson, Billy Besson, Pete Burling, Nathan Outteridge, how many went to Tokyo 2020?

You said the most significant event in Sailing is the Olympics. So where are the Olympians?

One, and he got the same number of gold medals from the Tokyo games  as the others on your list.. fuck all 

20 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Only 2021 Olympics count? Burling can't even hold Ainslie's Olympic jockstrap.

8 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Looking at helms

Burling 3 medals in toto 1 gold 2 silver 

Slingsby 1 medal in toto 1 gold 

Outteridge 2 in toto 1 gold 1 silver 

Ainslie 5 medals in toto 4 gold 1 silver

Ben's the best.  

Ben would be the best, if he'd won the Americas Cup. 

But he hasn't.

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

But he hasn't.

He won in '13. His input was more crucial to that total destruction of the Kiwi's was probably more important than Jimmie's. If you're going to spout some nonsense that only the driver counts.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

But he hasn't.

Your world and it's rules and delusions is definitely interesting from a psychologists point of view.

Just now, pusslicker said:

He won in '13. His input was more crucial to that total destruction of the Kiwi's was probably more important than Jimmie's. If you're going to spout some nonsense that only the driver counts.

1 Americas Cup for the USA.

Burling is still better.

4 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Your world and it's rules and delusions is definitely interesting from a psychologists point of view.

Hahaha you wanna talk psychology...one minute we're not living in the past, then we are, make up your mind!

6 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

1 Americas Cup for the USA.

Burling is still better.

On your basis of ben hasn’t won the cup.

neither has 

Blair Tuke,  Glenn Ashby, Ray Davies, Simon van Velthooven, Josh Junior, Joe Sullivan, Andy Maloney, Carlo Huisman, Guy Endean, Louis Sinclair, Steven Ferguson, Marcus Hansen and Marius van der Pol.

2 hours ago, crashtack said:

I know I'm late, but I think day 2 exemplified the things that still need (desperate) fixing with SGP. First of all, they shouldn't have sailed at all today. Total crapshoot, foiling boats in a foiling series should not be drifting around at 4knots with both hulls planted. It didn't make for good viewing.

Second, the opaque and confusing rules. In what fucking world does a boat have room to tack on the inside of another one at a top mark? Two boats came out of a crossing situation perfectly clear with neither changing course, one came out with a series-ending penalty. WTF? I was confused as a sailor, I can only imagine what "non-sailor" viewers were thinking.

Third, and I guess this is tied in with the first point - taking positions as they are according to the computer "standings" when the time limit runs out, completely, utterly ridiculous. I DARE anyone to make sense of the standings in the screenshot below and argue for their logic. Having this decide who went through to the final race was nothing but farcical. If you're going to have a time limit, TLE everyone who didn't make it! They didn't finish the race! Don't just make up random numbers.

https://puu.sh/I5A3a/c1c9936f02.jpg

Oh, and of course the relative penalties which are completely insane when you have one boat foiling and another in displacement in marginal conditions. On a downwind leg, Ben would have had to sail halfway back up the beat to clear himself because Nathan came off the foils purely on his own.

I'm all for using technology and more quantified metrics in sailing, but when shit like the gbr-jpn call (which I assume was just an automated thing) and the computer standings decide entire regattas, it makes SGP look like a clown show.

Ultimately, I think none of these things would have happened if they had just raced another day (thursday seemed fun), or at the very least didn't set a course directly under a ton of skyscrapers when the average wind speed is 8knots. Day 1 was good though, the first race was possibly the most interesting one in all of SGP so far.

Oh, and I think if those umpires were on the water and not in a box somewhere Ben might have shown off his swimming/diving skills again...

Agree, today sucked wind-wise. Foilers should not be subjected to conditions where a boat foiling does a horizon job on a boat stuck in displacement. In a long series like this it's bad but it was far worse when it happened in so many of the limited-races, higher-stakes AC36.

As to the time limit expiration, they go back to the last mark rounding order for count-back standings.

Were they sporting the new light-air 28m rigs today? They may have only tested them (one or two?) this week but not had them ready yet for the whole fleet. Hopefully that will prevent a 'today' situation ever happening again.

25 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Agree, today sucked wind-wise. Foilers should not be subjected to conditions where a boat foiling does a horizon job on a boat stuck in displacement. In a long series like this it's bad but it was far worse when it happened in so many of the limited-races, higher-stakes AC36.

As to the time limit expiration, they go back to the last mark rounding order for count-back standings.

Were they sporting the new light-air 28m rigs today? They may have only tested them (one or two?) this week but not had them ready yet for the whole fleet. Hopefully that will prevent a 'today' situation ever happening again.

They had both the tall wings and a three-man crew. 

I liked the racing . How soon we forget what light-air racing is like in the Archimedean boats most of us race. Some of these guys are among the best at that type of racing, and it showed.

These are events with specific schedules. They would rarely be able to cancel a day of racing or change a schedule.

The crews understand this, and they race in the conditions they have.

That’s sailboat racing. Suck it up, Sunshine.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Spot the irony as Ben keeps his perfect record of making GP finals and your beloved  has yet to reach one

Ainslie is clearly the best One-Design Foiling Sailor. GBR was in dire straights after being held up by the Danish Team in Race 5. They had to turn around and cross the Start Line leaving them in 7th and out of the Podium Race.

But this is Ben Ainslie! He and his 2-Man Crew of Goobs & Parko stuck their Heads down, sailed around the entire Fleet and finished 2nd, therefore making "The Final".

Not a lot of people could have pulled that off.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

image.png

Most ridiculous call EVER in Sailing especially since Japan was going to the other Gate anyways.

2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Hahaha you wanna talk psychology...one minute we're not living in the past, then we are, make up your mind!

Past or present? Wtf are you even on about? You move the goalposts so frequently it's hard to tell.

3 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Ainslie is clearly the best One-Design Foiling Sailor. GBR was in dire straights after being held up by the Danish Team in Race 5. They had to turn around and cross the Start Line leaving them in 7th and out of the Podium Race.

But this is Ben Ainslie! He and his 2-Man Crew of Goobs & Parko stuck their Heads down, sailed around the entire Fleet and finished 2nd, therefore making "The Final".

Not a lot of people could have pulled that off.

There's an illuminating quote from Dalton when Ben was with them. It got to a point where Dean was worried about proceeding Ben down the stairs. More on point Dalton was asked if he would take Ben or Dean in a race for life. Dalton said "if you ask steer then Dean but for a race for my life, then its Ainslie every day of the week"

Source: Seahorse.

image.png

Isn't this just a variation of the Team Racing tactic of a mark trap.  I have seen it used a few times in match racing but sometimes the umps are not aware what is happening and green flag it.  Once Japan got inside the zone GB had to keep clear no matter what.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, accnick said:

Note that SailGP started with a 4 segment (all-purpose) 24m wing, then removed a segment which became the 3 segment (strong wind) 18m wing.

The 24m wing is now a "moderate wind" wing, as they have been testing a new "light wind" 5 segment wing, but I gather they were not yet production-ready for Aarhus.

IIRC, in a video produced about the design and build of the wings, it was mentioned that it takes as long to build a wing as it does a boat. Perhaps that was a bit of an exaggeration, but they certainly are a complex bit of kit. For this season, rope &/or wire was fully replaced by hydraulics.

These light air assemblies may be completed and available for Saint-Tropez, but I'm hoping for strong winds, and some consistent 50+ knot sustained  bursts by the boats. :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

IIRC, in a video produced about the design and build of the wings,

In a broadcast video even from today (yesterday?) they did show kit graphics comparing foils, rudders and wings for all they have going on but (inadvertantly/early) a segment yesterday pointed to the 'medium air' wings (but light-air foils) as the ones deployed this weekend? Which wings did they use today - heavy, medium or (28m) light air?

8 hours ago, accnick said:

I liked the racing . How soon we forget what light-air racing is like in the Archimedean boats most of us race. Some of these guys are among the best at that type of racing, and it showed.

These are events with specific schedules. They would rarely be able to cancel a day of racing or change a schedule.

The crews understand this, and they race in the conditions they have.

That’s sailboat racing. Suck it up, Sunshine.

Medium wings were used. 

5 hours ago, trt131 said:

Once Japan got inside the zone GB had to keep clear no matter what.

I just rewatched that rounding. I don't think Japan could have touched them if they'd tried no matter what they did. So GB did keep clear no matter what.

A short time before, even 10s, that didn't look like it was going to be the case but it changed quickly

I usually like Stats BUT what is SAILGP smoking here. These are nowhere near accurate...

vlcsnap-2021-08-22-19h02m26s706.png

They have left out Ben's Race Win in Aarhus (Race 3). They left out Ben's tremendous WIN in Sydney where he won 5 of 6 Races.

C'mon, give me a break!

7 hours ago, accnick said:

My mistake.

And the announcers who probably don't read anything about the technoilgy and saw something bigger than the small wings so DID say "big wings" on TV.

So were they using the "regular/medium" winds and the light air foils?  Are those matched? 

13 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

They "decided" Sydney never happened.  

They also left out his Aarhus Race 3 Win. Ainslie competed in 10 Fleet Races if they take only 2021 and not 5.

29 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

And the announcers who probably don't read anything about the technoilgy and saw something bigger than the small wings so DID say "big wings" on TV.

So were they using the "regular/medium" winds and the light air foils?  Are those matched? 

Everyone uses the same wing as decided by race direction in the morning, yes they are all on the new modular wings 

1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I usually like Stats BUT what is SAILGP smoking here. These are nowhere near accurate...

vlcsnap-2021-08-22-19h02m26s706.png

They have left out Ben's Race Win in Aarhus (Race 3). They left out Ben's tremendous WIN in Sydney where he won 5 of 6 Races.

C'mon, give me a break!

We at least know it wasn't Clarkey. The AC tally would have been 0/4 and 0 medals at the Tokyo Olympics.

I think they had the 2 different foils (and rudders?) from the beginning, no? Or perhaps at least they had them since the current generation of foils, which may have not been from the beginning.

And they only started with the one 24 meter non-modular wing. Then I think they added the smaller wing by making it modular. Seems to me like until they actually have the new light air wing, the medium air wing is the big one. The official names are 24 meter and 18 meter, so of the two that are in use, the 24 meter one is the big/tall one. I think it was/is accurate for Aarhus to say big/tall for the 24 meter wing. Those are unofficial, though.

2 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Everyone uses the same wing as decided by race direction in the morning, yes they are all on the new modular wings 

Right I know everyone uses what is decided my question was do the "medium" size modular wings  they used match dynamically with the larger light air foils someone said they all used?