On 8/22/2021 at 3:35 PM, dg_sailingfan said:

Commentary Team said Boats need 45 kph to get up onto the Foils!

On 8/22/2021 at 7:42 PM, nroose said:

I thought they said 30.

On 8/22/2021 at 7:43 PM, dg_sailingfan said:

Not entirely sure. You may be right! Have to watch it again.

I guess at least now they are saying 45kph to get a foiling tack. But I guess 30kph to foil.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to stop and take a photo of this today (not like I'm pushed for time during lockdown ). Looks like my youngest likes SailGP. Perhaps the boats are just easier to build with lego than the foiling

I've never been annoyed this much watching otherwise excellent racing or in fact any sailing ever.  The sailors and sailing are awesome, boats are good for trashing around short courses - how can

i didnt bag the ac dipshit. quite strangely you identify yourself with that event and you feel like if someone bags on you, that means the event. i thought it was good. you on the other hand must be f

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

30 kph (kilometers per hour) = roughly 16 knots in old money.

You get it now, little friend?

Obviously because I did the conversion.

My query was what's with the announcers saying they needed 30kph/16kt to foil an F50.  Is that wind speed or boat speed?

Not wind according to the tech specs in the link I posted or observed performance in other regattas. Unless they had the wrong foils and wings on, unlikely. Or the announcers were wrong, more likely?

Read what I post don't leap to assumptions.  

Do the F50s need to be going 30 km/hr to foil?

Edited by NeedAClew
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Potter said:

Pretty sure he said he 'wanted' to see them.

Yes, could be.

JS had probably the best line of anyone today after his Race 2 win, when the announcers went on again about CJ. He said "Yeah, amazing.. I should break his other leg."

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

CJ is one of the MVP of the entire circuit, his work developing the wings and then being put into various teams to improve performance over the two seasons and now getting results with the USA team is awesome 

top bloke 

Agree, class act.

There was discussion about wings above, it reminded me of an SGP video from last year where they talked the design and build of Wing 2.0 (?) from in NZ. CJ described some of the new controls including how you could now program them so that after you press a particular button then the wing would have a preset stopping point. CJ must have had that pre-settings part well in control, I'm sure USA saw the highest speeds on the day - they touched or topped 50kph several times that I saw - and it did not look like it was from sailing just hotter angles.

15 hours ago, barfy said:

How many times did you say "unseasonably light airs" for the AC.

You're like a fucking goldfish.

My issue was with the lower wind limits being too light for the AC75 V1's. And it was not just me, it was a widely-reported issue with the way things turned out. ETNZ (presumably for TV production contract reasons) were the only ones who defended keeping the limit that low. They could not race properly in races that started in under 7 knots, things were too often ridiculous.

Lesson learned, hopefully.

This event is getting better and better - coverage much improved, more competitive teams who have actually done some training on the boats and starting to look like they actually give a damn too.

I think that the winds today were probably ideal: foiling but do a crap maneuver and it costs - shift and puff picking also crucial - not everything dictated by the starts.

Pity boat reliability seems to have been an issue for a number of teams - there had to also have been some issue with the French - they can't possibly have made so many boundary issues (and seemingly not knowing when penalized) without a tech issue too? 

Wish list: more races per event, some upwind starts thrown in, Keep Phil R sailing somehow next season, less time watching the leaders cross the finish line when the really interesting stuff is usually back at the top mark (split screen if you have to), less pointless close ups.

Overall though I like it a lot and it's getting better. 

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Yes, could be.

JS had probably the best line of anyone today after his Race 2 win, when the announcers went on again about CJ. He said "Yeah, amazing.. I should break his other leg."

Looks like the 29m and full crew.

20 hours ago, yoyo said:

Thanks for the education. I forgot that mother nature knows the schedule and manages to make sure she provides prime contest conditions for every events two week window.

In a a two week mother nature can serve up a two day show, hello. Waves that you can stand up on are wayyy more complicated than a stadium breeze.

Maybe Yur not used to weather.

29.4m wing, that's not much under 100' - big bugger. Interesting that the jib is contributing 15-20% to power, but I'd assume part of that is the amount they complement the wing.

17 minutes ago, efrank said:

100%.  Would have been a black flag if it was Robertson.  Clear double standard.

Rubbish, it should be more compared to JPN/USA than ESP black flag.  GBR did cause damage (and I think they should be penalised for that), but it obviously wasn't dangerous. Whereas ESP was considered potentially very dangerous. Just very different events.

18 minutes ago, Potter said:

Rubbish, it should be more compared to JPN/USA than ESP black flag.  GBR did cause damage (and I think they should be penalised for that), but it obviously wasn't dangerous. Whereas ESP was considered potentially very dangerous. Just very different events.

So if ESP had actually hit another boat, it should have simply been a penalty?  :rolleyes: Coz, you know, that's not "very dangerous".

17 minutes ago, Potter said:

We must have watched different starts:-). There was no contact with Spain's black flag and USA barely had to move to avoid.

Ainsley came barreling in on the foils through the whole fleet and basically had to choose which boat he was going to crash into.

9 hours ago, kiwi_bob said:

This event is getting better and better - coverage much improved, more competitive teams who have actually done some training on the boats and starting to look like they actually give a damn too.

I think that the winds today were probably ideal: foiling but do a crap maneuver and it costs - shift and puff picking also crucial - not everything dictated by the starts.

Pity boat reliability seems to have been an issue for a number of teams - there had to also have been some issue with the French - they can't possibly have made so many boundary issues (and seemingly not knowing when penalized) without a tech issue too? 

Wish list: more races per event, some upwind starts thrown in, Keep Phil R sailing somehow next season, less time watching the leaders cross the finish line when the really interesting stuff is usually back at the top mark (split screen if you have to), less pointless close ups.

Overall though I like it a lot and it's getting better. 

New Zealand YET AGAIN not making the FINAL after being in such a good Position after Race 4.

Season Leaderboard has now completely turned upside down....

JAPAN, USA & AUSTRALIA sit now atop in a 3-way Tie at 35 Points. Great Britain 1 Point behind at 34.

6 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

New Zealand YET AGAIN not making the FINAL after being in such a good Position after Race 4.

Season Leaderboard has now completely turned upside down....

JAPAN, USA & AUSTRALIA sit now atop in a 3-way Tie at 35 Points. Great Britain 1 Point behind at 34.

That’s not what the leaderboard says right now. Look again.

11 minutes ago, accnick said:

That’s not what the leaderboard says right now. Look again.

Ah, I see Japan now with 37 Points, Australia & USA with 35 and Great Britain with 34.

Great Britain would have 35 Points as well but got penalized 1 Point for todays collision.

1 hour ago, barfy said:

In a a two week mother nature can serve up a two day show, hello. Waves that you can stand up on are wayyy more complicated than a stadium breeze.

Maybe Yur not used to weather.

I guess you are right.  A two day show with marginal swell provides a great show and fair results.  It's awesome when only one 3 wave set rolls through during a heat.  Waayy more fun to watch than prime contest conditions.  But marginal swells never happen because there is a 2-week window.  Thanks - I am learning so much.  Cant wait for the next nugget of info.

10 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

The big wings make the boats cumbersome. They can't foil tack or gybe. No luck with the breeze for Sailgp either.

And now this: The Races in Cadiz will start at 17.00 Local Time! Hilarious to do that when it gets darker every minute as we go further and further into Autumn in Europe.

Opera Momentaufnahme_2021-09-12_180652_sailgp.com.png

Burling and New Zealand once again showed that they are not up to the task in these Boats and wilt under pressure. They were looking solid for 4 Races and then finished last in the Final Fleet Race preventing them from getting into the Podium Race.

It's quite obvious that Burlings helming skills are massivly negated when you have a OD Class like the F50!

7 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Well as predictions go, that was pretty shit

:)

I was guessing the exact same but my other choice JPN pulled through impressively, late.

ESP had quite a series too and TNZ is also improving. This will be a hard season to dominate.

2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

It's quite obvious that Burlings helming skills are massivly negated when you have a OD Class like the F50!

Bloody good reason why the AC holders should discourage OD, wouldn't ya say? ;-)

from New Zealand blow SailGP chance in France | Stuff.co.nz

New Zealand blew their chance of a first SailGP podium finish with a disappointing final fleet race in France.

Starting the day in second place in St Tropez, Peter Burling and his crew looked on course to qualify for the three-boat title race when they claimed second in the fourth fleet race on Monday (NZT).

But a last place in the fifth and final fleet race cost them dearly, as they missed out on the final by one point.

3 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Somebody's bost seems to break every race day. Remember Nathan sailing blind in Season 1?  With all the resources, they should harden that electronics better. Or the cables or whatever.  

They have pretty much cut staff to the bone across the board, which may be part of the problem.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, accnick said:

They have pretty much cut staff to the bone across the board, which may be part of the problem.

Does anything prevent teams from having some of their own tech/shorecrew guys to set the boats up? Maybe some already do have that? 

With this many boats I guess a few breakdowns are to be expected (crashes too) but yes, it's unfortunate.

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Bloody good reason why the AC holders should discourage OD, wouldn't ya say? ;-)

There will be some OD Elements in the AC75 Class Version 2 I think. The Boats as they are now are too expensive hence only 3 Challengers in AC36!

40 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Does anything prevent teams from having some of their own tech/shorecrew guys to set the boats up? Maybe some already do have that? 

With this many boats I guess a few breakdowns are to be expected (crashes too) but yes, it's unfortunate.

As far as I know, the systems are still totally maintained by the SailGP “factory” team. Each individual sailing team has its own shore crew for routine maintenance and final assembly at each event.

System settings such as wing rake are event-controlled. There is not a lot of latitude for individual variations.

3 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I am not certain the event assembly etc. is not done by consolidated shared shore crew this season.  In any event, the failure rate is too high. 

The factory team does the basic assembly. Tedious, time-consuming  jobs, such as the installation and tensioning of the trampoline, are left to the team shore crews, with oversight.

System calibration is done by the factory team.

I don’t know who “owns” things like the busted jib sheet on the Danish boat.

Seems to me that teams should be allowed to run strong shore crews if they choose to, to help best-ensure operational things. That, or the sailors need to get into that part of things too? Going out onto to the water and finding problems even before the start (it has happened) could be on the teams as much as anyone else.

They do appear to have separate tender boats, are they team-run?

1 hour ago, accnick said:

The factory team does the basic assembly. Tedious, time-consuming  jobs, such as the installation and tensioning of the trampoline, are left to the team shore crews, with oversight.

System calibration is done by the factory team.

I don’t know who “owns” things like the busted jib sheet on the Danish boat.

I thought I heard Freddie say something like "they may have chosen a thinner rope to save weight" when the sheet broke, suggesting that the teams may have some flexibility over setup in that regard. Or Freddie may have been talking out his ass.  I thankfully am ignorant on that. 

3 minutes ago, porthos said:

I thought I heard Freddie say something like "they may have chosen a thinner rope to save weight" when the sheet broke, suggesting that the teams may have some flexibility over setup in that regard. Or Freddie may have been talking out his ass.  I thankfully am ignorant on that. 

I took Freddie to mean that the 'they' was referring to SGP - who else set set the light-air foils, light-air rudders and (monster) 29m wing for the first time, requirements. But yes, am curious to know too, where teams may have flexibility. Or maybe they sheeted on too tight?

3 minutes ago, porthos said:

Don’t know about that. Originally, all the running rigging was a single spec for material and diameter for each bit of rigging. Some things may have changed this season.

Just now, NeedAClew said:

Yesterday I believe AUS had  a malfunctioning wheel then no electronics so couldn't see boundaries. That's a lot wrong to start with.

Knowing Slingers, someone will get an earful over those two issues.

if you are going to depend on supplied equipment, it needs to be reliable.

21 minutes ago, accnick said:

Knowing Slingers, someone will get an earful over those two issues.

if you are going to depend on supplied equipment, it needs to be reliable.

We saw similar problems hitting the AC75's during racing, in a fleet half the size, with goondoggles of money supporting them. 

I expect SGP will improve boat fleet reliability over time.

35 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

We saw similar problems hitting the AC75's during racing, in a fleet half the size, with goondoggles of money supporting them. 

I expect SGP will improve boat fleet reliability over time.

The supplied equipment worked just as it should. If the supplied equipment had faults, surely we would’ve seen those faults more regularly and to every team. 

5 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Seems to me that teams should be allowed to run strong shore crews if they choose to, to help best-ensure operational things. That, or the sailors need to get into that part of things too? Going out onto to the water and finding problems even before the start (it has happened) could be on the teams as much as anyone else.

They do appear to have separate tender boats, are they team-run?

Team budgets are set by SailGP, so they do what they can, but staffing levels are controlled centrally. 

Support RIBs are supplied and centrally serviced, but operated by the teams. 

19 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

everyone moved this weekend.

5 events down, and assuming NZ happens, there are 4 to go.

Also assuming  the grand final is three boats.

the only easy thing to predict is that France are probably not going to make that top 3, thewy are just too inconsistent. Denmark and TNZ are both improving and Spain has always been just off top half but now have their olympians back and looked good.

The top4 are all rather close.

I think this series will go all the way, with maybe only 1 team assured of a final place going into San Fran. It is a bit bizarre that there is no bonus point scoring system, one would think there should be a larger gap for those finishing top3, but what it does do is keep the leaderboard tight.

I'm not sure at what stage they will start looking at season3 changes, but both Besson and Robertson need to do well to keep their slots.

Unless NZ can actually win a race /make the final in the next 4 events I don’t see them making the million dollar sail off either.

on the ranking above Robertson is ahead and Pete and actually won races yet you think it’s Robertson who is in danger of losing his position? 

if anything lose Pete and put Robertson on that boat? 

10 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

If anything lose Pete and put Robertson on that boat? 

Sir Robertson better take over from Ainslie. It's obvious to everybody that poor Ben is slowly losing it, with first a raging big mouth, and now an extraordinary barging start. And with a sponsor to mean to support a proper team he better try for the cycling team next year!

Howzat for a troll post?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Potter said:

Team budgets are set by SailGP, so they do what they can, but staffing levels are controlled centrally. 

Support RIBs are supplied and centrally serviced, but operated by the teams. 

Then they need more budget because busted boats don't please fans of those boats. Especially busted before the start. Test drive? Final checklist? These are not due to hard conditions in a race, they are malfunctioning right off.

5 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Sir Robertson better take over from Ainslie. It's obvious to everybody that poor Ben is slowly losing it, with first a raging big mouth, and now an extraordinary barging start. And with a sponsor to mean to support a proper team he better try for the cycling team next year!

Howzat for a troll post?

4 is that you?;-) 

my point, that you clearly think is trolling, is that Spain are ahead in the ranking with a skipper that has won races yet lower ranked teams and skippers yet to win a race or event top three are being overlooked as being in jeopardy. 

as for Ben and his mean sponsor, thanks for the concern, how’s the kiwi AC effort coming along… ;-) 

6 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Howzat for a troll post?

Poor really, because it misses the point of JalHaz's post - Phil is a Kiwi. If he finishes higher than Pete, and the Spanish want a Spaniard, then shouldn't Phil take over the Kiwi boat?

Don't the Kiwis want the best Kiwi helm driving?

The Brits could have a separate conversation about Giles, or Iain Percy or whoever, but not a Kiwi

52 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Poor really

Poor trolling? I'll try to improve.

So you think I didn't know all that shit, and that Jaltroll is just a ...troll.

And why do you always write those know all discourses that no one is interested in? 

And don't make me laugh, since when has FakeGP "national" teams, they are fucking franchises, my dear pom pom!

Still poor, really?

11 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Poor trolling? I'll try to improve.

So you think I didn't know all that shit, and that Jaltroll is just a ...troll.

And why do you always write those know all discourses that no one is interested in? 

And don't make me laugh, since when has FakeGP "national" teams, they are fucking franchises, my dear pom pom!

Still poor, really?

Better trolling. But still only C- 

:)

• Like 1

That was a good event in my opinion, but I simply cannot understand cutting off the last leg to "shorten" the race. It's a 30 second reach with some of the most interesting action, what is the point of excluding it? The time limit seems ridiculous too - everyone who hasn't made it in time still goes to the finish, you're not saving any time by doing a countback. 

Also the broadcast director should be banned from using the onboard camera angles for anything other than replays, I hate looking at 5 guys sitting on the boat after a finish when there's a battle going on for 2nd/3rd/whatever.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, crashtack said:

That was a good event in my opinion, but I simply cannot understand cutting off the last leg to "shorten" the race. It's a 30 second reach with some of the most interesting action, what is the point of excluding it? The time limit seems ridiculous too - everyone who hasn't made it in time still goes to the finish, you're not saving any time by doing a countback. 

Also the broadcast director should be banned from using the onboard camera angles for anything other than replays, I hate looking at 5 guys sitting on the boat after a finish when there's a battle going on for 2nd/3rd/whatever.

Certainly agree the last point. I'd also suggest getting them to watch F1 coverage to get the understanding that you don't point the camera at the lead boat if they are miles ahead when there are critical battles going on in the midfield. 

Also when showing the insert to show who would qualify for the final, when it as close as this weekend, don't just show the top 4, as boats in 5th and 6th could easily have qualified

Not so sure about the last leg thing. There were some good finishes on the upwind leg with boats on opposite tacks. Though I agree it did seem a bit odd cutting the last leg for 30s. I'd prefer them to add a couple of minutes onto the time limit to have more chance of getting the whole thing in. Yes that would give bigger gaps between races but most people are watching on catch-up so just FF through those bits anyway, and those watching live can always get a drink. Its not like the idea of intervals in sporting contests is unique to sailing. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Certainly agree the last point. I'd also suggest getting them to watch F1 coverage to get the understanding that you don't point the camera at the lead boat if they are miles ahead when there are critical battles going on in the midfield. 

Also when showing the insert to show who would qualify for the final, when it as close as this weekend, don't just show the top 4, as boats in 5th and 6th could easily have qualified

Not so sure about the last leg thing. There were some good finishes on the upwind leg with boats on opposite tacks. Though I agree it did seem a bit odd cutting the last leg for 30s. I'd prefer them to add a couple of minutes onto the time limit to have more chance of getting the whole thing in. Yes that would give bigger gaps between races but most people are watching on catch-up so just FF through those bits anyway, and those watching live can always get a drink. Its not like the idea of intervals in sporting contests is unique to sailing. 

I do think the director/cameramen would benefit from actually being sailors, but I do feel like they (and the commentators) have been told to solely focus on the top boats to keep things uncomplicated.

I know that helicopters are expensive, but considering how advanced drones have gotten, is it so unreasonable to have a few of those bad boys flying around so that we can have some alternate overhead angles? So much action is being missed now...

Tough to cover what everyone wants to see, make everyone happy, and yes I have a few moments thinking 'wait, but what's going on from the air?' But this weekend's coverage seemed an improvement overall. Some of the shots from the camera boats were especially good.

Have to be honest I thought Ainslie might get a black flag for that start as well however I think he had a couple things in his favor. First, he was overtaking from astern rather than converging on opposite tacks so the closing speeds were slower. And second, Robertson had made a bit of a habit of trying that move and had been warned about it, so the umpires likely thought an escalation of consequences was required. There were comments from other boats and the commentators that it had been coming for a while. 

With that being said, Ben stuffed it good and I'm sure the Brits would rather forget the whole weekend. 

Race 4 on Sunday I think again highlighted the need to step away from relative penalties. Everyone but France and Denmark were OCS and the teams were told to get behind Denmark, which crossed the line last. However, in the ensuing melee, France got the worst of the bad air from the early starters and eventually slipped back behind the fleet which, despite needing to take a penalty, still ended up ahead of Besson, who started on time. He was a bit slow off the line which wasn't in his favor, but I would be furious if I were him and just got dumped on by a bunch of boats which were OCS.

1887900579_ss(2021-09-14at01_06.56).thumb.jpg.66ecd958c893a95464db5ead9a2ce148.jpg

801907010_ss(2021-09-14at01_08.36).thumb.jpg.47ff26da5c846063a0055c336b6a8f4d.jpg

16 hours ago, crashtack said:

I do think the director/cameramen would benefit from actually being sailors, but I do feel like they (and the commentators) have been told to solely focus on the top boats to keep things uncomplicated.

I know that helicopters are expensive, but considering how advanced drones have gotten, is it so unreasonable to have a few of those bad boys flying around so that we can have some alternate overhead angles? So much action is being missed now...

They tried using drones in the first season, and the payload required to have good definition footage, meant that it could only fly for one race, and could not keep up for very long.  They had a 7 motor drone that was pretty big, so then it needed a boat suitable to land on, a decent driver, a spotter, two operators. In the end I think they decided a heli was more efficient. Plus the heli can have a decent IMU to ensure accurate graphic overlay. The drone footage could not be used with the graphics/for the umpires (I think).

7 hours ago, crashtack said:

Race 4 on Sunday I think again highlighted the need to step away from relative penalties. Everyone but France and Denmark were OCS and the teams were told to get behind Denmark, which crossed the line last. However, in the ensuing melee, France got the worst of the bad air from the early starters and eventually slipped back behind the fleet which, despite needing to take a penalty, still ended up ahead of Besson, who started on time. He was a bit slow off the line which wasn't in his favor, but I would be furious if I were him and just got dumped on by a bunch of boats which were OCS.

1887900579_ss(2021-09-14at01_06.56).thumb.jpg.66ecd958c893a95464db5ead9a2ce148.jpg

801907010_ss(2021-09-14at01_08.36).thumb.jpg.47ff26da5c846063a0055c336b6a8f4d.jpg

TV schedule so tight they can't have a proper general recall???

Why is practice always the windiest day, then the final seems to be a crap shoot again at SGP...

The big sails are  just to big I think bigger foils would be more help once they foil the racing in the light winds is still very good but pulling the lift of speed down to 20 or 25Km/Hr would keep them flying.

The big sails were just to big to work any slight lift in wind speed and remember shear was uncontrollable

1 hour ago, Gone Drinking said:

Why would they general recall - they could identify all that were OCS. 

Why? Cause 7/8 of the fleet was OCS!!!!!

It was said above, fuck the 'relative to' penalty - it's stupid!

Just another head scratcher rule in SGP that doesn't make it any more accessible to the masses...

Fuck, the starts are the most exciting part of the entire thing!! They should have shorter start lines generating multiple recalls if they want eyeballs!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

My sense is that with the big wings (and damn they are big) they can reach foiling speed earlier than without them. They also reach into higher TWS wind up there, naturally. 

Do they really, still need 5 crew?

Just quietly do away with the grinder, don't even mention it's gone... nothing to see here - just batteries which are already there!

You know, big wings, few humans, harnessing nature.....

46 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Do they really, still need 5 crew?

Just quietly do away with the grinder, don't even mention it's gone... nothing to see here - just batteries which are already there!

You know, big wings, few humans, harnessing nature.....

Big wings, e-controls, harvesting electrons grown under the seaside sun...

I think worldwide the recognized SGP sailor name is the one that came in 2nd in the 2020 esailing Joan Cardona.

On 9/14/2021 at 5:53 AM, crashtack said:

Drones are great for many things, but filming fast moving LIVE action on the water can be a challenge.

Their on site LIVE time is actually very limited, so you have 2 or 3 on rotation to keep the signal in the air, which means you have 3 pilots. But those pilots need a spotter too, so you have 3 spotters as well. Coverage can be tricky with a long course and fast moving boats, so you might need the pilots driving alongside the race course in their own RIB. Now you have 3 Pilots, 3 Spotters, potentially 1 or 2 RIB's and their skippers.

All of a sudden you are in the ball park of the cost of a Heli, which comes with a MUCH better camera/zoom, and can stay on station for 2 hours. 

9 hours ago, Liquid said:

Why? Cause 7/8 of the fleet was OCS!!!!!

It was said above, fuck the 'relative to' penalty - it's stupid!

Just another head scratcher rule in SGP that doesn't make it any more accessible to the masses...

Fuck, the starts are the most exciting part of the entire thing!! They should have shorter start lines generating multiple recalls if they want eyeballs!!!

29.2 General Recall

When at the starting signal the race committee is unable to identify boats that are on the course side of the starting line or to which rule 30 applies, or there has been an error in the starting procedure, the race committee may signal a general recall (display the First Substitute with two sounds). 

Doesn't matter if the entire fleet is OCS (although who would they take the penalty relative to, I wonder?), if RC knows who they are, its an individual recall. In the SGP RRS, there's actually no wording even mentioning a general recall.