1 hour ago, accnick said:

The factory team does the basic assembly. Tedious, time-consuming  jobs, such as the installation and tensioning of the trampoline, are left to the team shore crews, with oversight.

System calibration is done by the factory team.

I don’t know who “owns” things like the busted jib sheet on the Danish boat.

I thought I heard Freddie say something like "they may have chosen a thinner rope to save weight" when the sheet broke, suggesting that the teams may have some flexibility over setup in that regard. Or Freddie may have been talking out his ass.  I thankfully am ignorant on that. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to stop and take a photo of this today (not like I'm pushed for time during lockdown ). Looks like my youngest likes SailGP. Perhaps the boats are just easier to build with lego than the foiling

Some of you are truly amusing. Let's start with a simple truth. This event was probably the best televised sailing I have ever seen. Sure, there is room for improvement but the racing was epic, t

i didnt bag the ac dipshit. quite strangely you identify yourself with that event and you feel like if someone bags on you, that means the event. i thought it was good. you on the other hand must be f

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, porthos said:

I thought I heard Freddie say something like "they may have chosen a thinner rope to save weight" when the sheet broke, suggesting that the teams may have some flexibility over setup in that regard. Or Freddie may have been talking out his ass.  I thankfully am ignorant on that. 

I took Freddie to mean that the 'they' was referring to SGP - who else set set the light-air foils, light-air rudders and (monster) 29m wing for the first time, requirements. But yes, am curious to know too, where teams may have flexibility. Or maybe they sheeted on too tight?

3 minutes ago, porthos said:

Don’t know about that. Originally, all the running rigging was a single spec for material and diameter for each bit of rigging. Some things may have changed this season.

Just now, NeedAClew said:

Yesterday I believe AUS had  a malfunctioning wheel then no electronics so couldn't see boundaries. That's a lot wrong to start with.

Knowing Slingers, someone will get an earful over those two issues.

if you are going to depend on supplied equipment, it needs to be reliable.

21 minutes ago, accnick said:

Knowing Slingers, someone will get an earful over those two issues.

if you are going to depend on supplied equipment, it needs to be reliable.

We saw similar problems hitting the AC75's during racing, in a fleet half the size, with goondoggles of money supporting them. 

I expect SGP will improve boat fleet reliability over time.

35 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

We saw similar problems hitting the AC75's during racing, in a fleet half the size, with goondoggles of money supporting them. 

I expect SGP will improve boat fleet reliability over time.

The supplied equipment worked just as it should. If the supplied equipment had faults, surely we would’ve seen those faults more regularly and to every team. 

5 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Seems to me that teams should be allowed to run strong shore crews if they choose to, to help best-ensure operational things. That, or the sailors need to get into that part of things too? Going out onto to the water and finding problems even before the start (it has happened) could be on the teams as much as anyone else.

They do appear to have separate tender boats, are they team-run?

Team budgets are set by SailGP, so they do what they can, but staffing levels are controlled centrally. 

Support RIBs are supplied and centrally serviced, but operated by the teams. 

19 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

everyone moved this weekend.

5 events down, and assuming NZ happens, there are 4 to go.

Also assuming  the grand final is three boats.

the only easy thing to predict is that France are probably not going to make that top 3, thewy are just too inconsistent. Denmark and TNZ are both improving and Spain has always been just off top half but now have their olympians back and looked good.

The top4 are all rather close.

I think this series will go all the way, with maybe only 1 team assured of a final place going into San Fran. It is a bit bizarre that there is no bonus point scoring system, one would think there should be a larger gap for those finishing top3, but what it does do is keep the leaderboard tight.

I'm not sure at what stage they will start looking at season3 changes, but both Besson and Robertson need to do well to keep their slots.

Unless NZ can actually win a race /make the final in the next 4 events I don’t see them making the million dollar sail off either.

on the ranking above Robertson is ahead and Pete and actually won races yet you think it’s Robertson who is in danger of losing his position? 

if anything lose Pete and put Robertson on that boat? 

10 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

If anything lose Pete and put Robertson on that boat? 

Sir Robertson better take over from Ainslie. It's obvious to everybody that poor Ben is slowly losing it, with first a raging big mouth, and now an extraordinary barging start. And with a sponsor to mean to support a proper team he better try for the cycling team next year!

Howzat for a troll post?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Potter said:

Team budgets are set by SailGP, so they do what they can, but staffing levels are controlled centrally. 

Support RIBs are supplied and centrally serviced, but operated by the teams. 

Then they need more budget because busted boats don't please fans of those boats. Especially busted before the start. Test drive? Final checklist? These are not due to hard conditions in a race, they are malfunctioning right off.

5 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Sir Robertson better take over from Ainslie. It's obvious to everybody that poor Ben is slowly losing it, with first a raging big mouth, and now an extraordinary barging start. And with a sponsor to mean to support a proper team he better try for the cycling team next year!

Howzat for a troll post?

4 is that you?;-) 

my point, that you clearly think is trolling, is that Spain are ahead in the ranking with a skipper that has won races yet lower ranked teams and skippers yet to win a race or event top three are being overlooked as being in jeopardy. 

as for Ben and his mean sponsor, thanks for the concern, how’s the kiwi AC effort coming along… ;-) 

6 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Howzat for a troll post?

Poor really, because it misses the point of JalHaz's post - Phil is a Kiwi. If he finishes higher than Pete, and the Spanish want a Spaniard, then shouldn't Phil take over the Kiwi boat?

Don't the Kiwis want the best Kiwi helm driving?

The Brits could have a separate conversation about Giles, or Iain Percy or whoever, but not a Kiwi

52 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Poor really

Poor trolling? I'll try to improve.

So you think I didn't know all that shit, and that Jaltroll is just a ...troll.

And why do you always write those know all discourses that no one is interested in? 

And don't make me laugh, since when has FakeGP "national" teams, they are fucking franchises, my dear pom pom!

Still poor, really?

11 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Poor trolling? I'll try to improve.

So you think I didn't know all that shit, and that Jaltroll is just a ...troll.

And why do you always write those know all discourses that no one is interested in? 

And don't make me laugh, since when has FakeGP "national" teams, they are fucking franchises, my dear pom pom!

Still poor, really?

Better trolling. But still only C- 

:)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

how’s the fiji AC effort coming along… ;-) 

FIFY ;-

Quite well indeed, we are sending our two time olympic Gold rugby team to Jeddah, or even better to Cork.

4FB.

That was a good event in my opinion, but I simply cannot understand cutting off the last leg to "shorten" the race. It's a 30 second reach with some of the most interesting action, what is the point of excluding it? The time limit seems ridiculous too - everyone who hasn't made it in time still goes to the finish, you're not saving any time by doing a countback. 

Also the broadcast director should be banned from using the onboard camera angles for anything other than replays, I hate looking at 5 guys sitting on the boat after a finish when there's a battle going on for 2nd/3rd/whatever.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, crashtack said:

That was a good event in my opinion, but I simply cannot understand cutting off the last leg to "shorten" the race. It's a 30 second reach with some of the most interesting action, what is the point of excluding it? The time limit seems ridiculous too - everyone who hasn't made it in time still goes to the finish, you're not saving any time by doing a countback. 

Also the broadcast director should be banned from using the onboard camera angles for anything other than replays, I hate looking at 5 guys sitting on the boat after a finish when there's a battle going on for 2nd/3rd/whatever.

Certainly agree the last point. I'd also suggest getting them to watch F1 coverage to get the understanding that you don't point the camera at the lead boat if they are miles ahead when there are critical battles going on in the midfield. 

Also when showing the insert to show who would qualify for the final, when it as close as this weekend, don't just show the top 4, as boats in 5th and 6th could easily have qualified

Not so sure about the last leg thing. There were some good finishes on the upwind leg with boats on opposite tacks. Though I agree it did seem a bit odd cutting the last leg for 30s. I'd prefer them to add a couple of minutes onto the time limit to have more chance of getting the whole thing in. Yes that would give bigger gaps between races but most people are watching on catch-up so just FF through those bits anyway, and those watching live can always get a drink. Its not like the idea of intervals in sporting contests is unique to sailing. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Certainly agree the last point. I'd also suggest getting them to watch F1 coverage to get the understanding that you don't point the camera at the lead boat if they are miles ahead when there are critical battles going on in the midfield. 

Also when showing the insert to show who would qualify for the final, when it as close as this weekend, don't just show the top 4, as boats in 5th and 6th could easily have qualified

Not so sure about the last leg thing. There were some good finishes on the upwind leg with boats on opposite tacks. Though I agree it did seem a bit odd cutting the last leg for 30s. I'd prefer them to add a couple of minutes onto the time limit to have more chance of getting the whole thing in. Yes that would give bigger gaps between races but most people are watching on catch-up so just FF through those bits anyway, and those watching live can always get a drink. Its not like the idea of intervals in sporting contests is unique to sailing. 

I do think the director/cameramen would benefit from actually being sailors, but I do feel like they (and the commentators) have been told to solely focus on the top boats to keep things uncomplicated.

I know that helicopters are expensive, but considering how advanced drones have gotten, is it so unreasonable to have a few of those bad boys flying around so that we can have some alternate overhead angles? So much action is being missed now...

Tough to cover what everyone wants to see, make everyone happy, and yes I have a few moments thinking 'wait, but what's going on from the air?' But this weekend's coverage seemed an improvement overall. Some of the shots from the camera boats were especially good.

Have to be honest I thought Ainslie might get a black flag for that start as well however I think he had a couple things in his favor. First, he was overtaking from astern rather than converging on opposite tacks so the closing speeds were slower. And second, Robertson had made a bit of a habit of trying that move and had been warned about it, so the umpires likely thought an escalation of consequences was required. There were comments from other boats and the commentators that it had been coming for a while. 

With that being said, Ben stuffed it good and I'm sure the Brits would rather forget the whole weekend. 

Race 4 on Sunday I think again highlighted the need to step away from relative penalties. Everyone but France and Denmark were OCS and the teams were told to get behind Denmark, which crossed the line last. However, in the ensuing melee, France got the worst of the bad air from the early starters and eventually slipped back behind the fleet which, despite needing to take a penalty, still ended up ahead of Besson, who started on time. He was a bit slow off the line which wasn't in his favor, but I would be furious if I were him and just got dumped on by a bunch of boats which were OCS.

1887900579_ss(2021-09-14at01_06.56).thumb.jpg.66ecd958c893a95464db5ead9a2ce148.jpg

801907010_ss(2021-09-14at01_08.36).thumb.jpg.47ff26da5c846063a0055c336b6a8f4d.jpg

16 hours ago, crashtack said:

I do think the director/cameramen would benefit from actually being sailors, but I do feel like they (and the commentators) have been told to solely focus on the top boats to keep things uncomplicated.

I know that helicopters are expensive, but considering how advanced drones have gotten, is it so unreasonable to have a few of those bad boys flying around so that we can have some alternate overhead angles? So much action is being missed now...

They tried using drones in the first season, and the payload required to have good definition footage, meant that it could only fly for one race, and could not keep up for very long.  They had a 7 motor drone that was pretty big, so then it needed a boat suitable to land on, a decent driver, a spotter, two operators. In the end I think they decided a heli was more efficient. Plus the heli can have a decent IMU to ensure accurate graphic overlay. The drone footage could not be used with the graphics/for the umpires (I think).

7 hours ago, crashtack said:

Race 4 on Sunday I think again highlighted the need to step away from relative penalties. Everyone but France and Denmark were OCS and the teams were told to get behind Denmark, which crossed the line last. However, in the ensuing melee, France got the worst of the bad air from the early starters and eventually slipped back behind the fleet which, despite needing to take a penalty, still ended up ahead of Besson, who started on time. He was a bit slow off the line which wasn't in his favor, but I would be furious if I were him and just got dumped on by a bunch of boats which were OCS.

1887900579_ss(2021-09-14at01_06.56).thumb.jpg.66ecd958c893a95464db5ead9a2ce148.jpg

801907010_ss(2021-09-14at01_08.36).thumb.jpg.47ff26da5c846063a0055c336b6a8f4d.jpg

TV schedule so tight they can't have a proper general recall???

Why is practice always the windiest day, then the final seems to be a crap shoot again at SGP...

4 hours ago, Liquid said:

TV schedule so tight they can't have a proper general recall???

Why is practice always the windiest day, then the final seems to be a crap shoot again at SGP...

Why would they general recall - they could identify all that were OCS. 

• Like 1

The big sails are  just to big I think bigger foils would be more help once they foil the racing in the light winds is still very good but pulling the lift of speed down to 20 or 25Km/Hr would keep them flying.

The big sails were just to big to work any slight lift in wind speed and remember shear was uncontrollable

1 hour ago, Gone Drinking said:

Why would they general recall - they could identify all that were OCS. 

Why? Cause 7/8 of the fleet was OCS!!!!!

It was said above, fuck the 'relative to' penalty - it's stupid!

Just another head scratcher rule in SGP that doesn't make it any more accessible to the masses...

Fuck, the starts are the most exciting part of the entire thing!! They should have shorter start lines generating multiple recalls if they want eyeballs!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

My sense is that with the big wings (and damn they are big) they can reach foiling speed earlier than without them. They also reach into higher TWS wind up there, naturally. 

Do they really, still need 5 crew?

Just quietly do away with the grinder, don't even mention it's gone... nothing to see here - just batteries which are already there!

You know, big wings, few humans, harnessing nature.....

46 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Do they really, still need 5 crew?

Just quietly do away with the grinder, don't even mention it's gone... nothing to see here - just batteries which are already there!

You know, big wings, few humans, harnessing nature.....

Big wings, e-controls, harvesting electrons grown under the seaside sun...

I think worldwide the recognized SGP sailor name is the one that came in 2nd in the 2020 esailing Joan Cardona.

On 9/14/2021 at 5:53 AM, crashtack said:

Drones are great for many things, but filming fast moving LIVE action on the water can be a challenge.

Their on site LIVE time is actually very limited, so you have 2 or 3 on rotation to keep the signal in the air, which means you have 3 pilots. But those pilots need a spotter too, so you have 3 spotters as well. Coverage can be tricky with a long course and fast moving boats, so you might need the pilots driving alongside the race course in their own RIB. Now you have 3 Pilots, 3 Spotters, potentially 1 or 2 RIB's and their skippers.

All of a sudden you are in the ball park of the cost of a Heli, which comes with a MUCH better camera/zoom, and can stay on station for 2 hours. 

9 hours ago, Liquid said:

Just another head scratcher rule in SGP that doesn't make it any more accessible to the masses...

Fuck, the starts are the most exciting part of the entire thing!! They should have shorter start lines generating multiple recalls if they want eyeballs!!!

29.2 General Recall

When at the starting signal the race committee is unable to identify boats that are on the course side of the starting line or to which rule 30 applies, or there has been an error in the starting procedure, the race committee may signal a general recall (display the First Substitute with two sounds). 

Doesn't matter if the entire fleet is OCS (although who would they take the penalty relative to, I wonder?), if RC knows who they are, its an individual recall. In the SGP RRS, there's actually no wording even mentioning a general recall.

51 minutes ago, crashtack said:

29.2 General Recall

When at the starting signal the race committee is unable to identify boats that are on the course side of the starting line or to which rule 30 applies, or there has been an error in the starting procedure, the race committee may signal a general recall (display the First Substitute with two sounds). 

Doesn't matter if the entire fleet is OCS (although who would they take the penalty relative to, I wonder?), if RC knows who they are, its an individual recall. In the SGP RRS, there's actually no wording even mentioning a general recall.

Yep I remember reading of a major dinghy event quite a few years ago and the individual recall went up, a couple at the very front went back  and re-crossed the line, and half a dozen at the back were OK.. The other 50+ just carried on and got disqualified..

Ouch....

Youtube eyeballs this past weekend for the next 'F1' of sailing:

Day 1 : 98K

Day 2 : 141K

F1 race highlights from Italy the same weekend: 6M+.... and counting.....

Shooting skateboards on DemolitionRanch, posted on Monday - So far: 1M+

But hey, SGP just needs a 10th team to really explode this into the mainstream!!!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

wow. just 170 people needed to isolate for it to go ahead and it got turned down.

They were happy for the AC in Feb/March which had a lot more people and way less vaccination penetration.

I know it's all about tradeoffs, and understand that the cases and fatalities are low because of the forced isolation of the country. The numbers in NZ are just so different to the rest of the world. Just 2 covid19 deaths in 2021.

image.png.9508ce8084fd832135b409f887026234.png

1 hour ago, shebeen said:

wow. just 170 people needed to isolate for it to go ahead and it got turned down.

They were happy for the AC in Feb/March which had a lot more people and way less vaccination penetration.

I know it's all about tradeoffs, and understand that the cases and fatalities are low because of the forced isolation of the country. The numbers in NZ are just so different to the rest of the world. Just 2 covid19 deaths in 2021.

You can't really compare them though. The staffing for the teams and Race Committee were all required to be there from before the Christmas Regatta all the way through to the end of the AC, whereas the majority of SailGP staff are only on site for two weeks. The govt had put money into the AC already, whereas SailGP will not have been paid yet. The AC is a well renowned international event, whereas SailGP doesn't have the name recognition (yet, though obviously they are trying for it). 

• Like 1
On 9/14/2021 at 4:41 PM, Liquid said:

On 9/15/2021 at 1:54 AM, crashtack said:

29.2 General Recall

The only reason the whole fleet was not over is because the last 2 were shut out and going slow. Now the fleet knows there will be no General Recalls.

We watched it at our last Wednesday night race of the year and everybody wondered WTF?

The boats are cool, the wings are cool, the speeds are cool but some of the calls are mind boggling.

And this top 3 shoot out is fucking stupid. More big fleet racing and stay with the point totals.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Liquid said:

Ouch....

Youtube eyeballs this past weekend for the next 'F1' of sailing:

Day 1 : 98K

Day 2 : 141K

F1 race highlights from Italy the same weekend: 6M+.... and counting.....

Shooting skateboards on DemolitionRanch, posted on Monday - So far: 1M+

But hey, SGP just needs a 10th team to really explode this into the mainstream!!!

those are HUGE numbers for sailing, and that's not counting facebook, tv broadcast, or app views.

At the same time, I don't think SGP is trying to compete with f1 just yet...

• Like 1

The New Zealand SailGP Event in Christchurch slated for the 29th and 30th of January 2022 has now been finally "Officially Cancelled" by SailGP Organizers.

The Event is no longer listed either on the SailGP App or their Web Page.

Therefore Season 2 will only have 8 Events culminating with the San Francisco SailGP on the 26th and 27th of March 2022.

Sydney will still go ahead! Looks like New South Wales will have between 70% and 80% of their Adult Population vaccinated by December.

22 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

The New Zealand SailGP Event in Christchurch slated for the 29th and 30th of January 2022 has now been finally "Officially Cancelled" by SailGP Organizers.

The Event is no longer listed either on the SailGP App or their Web Page.

Therefore Season 2 will only have 8 Events culminating with the San Francisco SailGP on the 26th and 27th of March 2022.

Sydney will still go ahead! Looks like New South Wales will have between 70% and 80% of their Adult Population vaccinated by December.

Pre-sales for the Sydney event are on from today.

7 minutes ago, accnick said:

It probably makes a lot more sense for Ireland to host a SailGP event than the AC. 

At least it wouldn’t bankrupt the country.

Exactly my reaction too. A much simpler option for Ireland.

10 minutes ago, accnick said:

It probably makes a lot more sense for Ireland to host a SailGP event than the AC. 

At least it wouldn’t bankrupt the country.

Auckland is DEAD unless Dalton & Dunphy would start working together but I can't see it happening not after Grant ceased all dealings and correspondence. Grant is absolutely not happy that Dunphy & Ross tried to sabotage AC37 by trying to get their CoR replaced.

8 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Auckland is DEAD unless Dalton & Dunphy would start working together but I can't see it happening not after Grant ceased all dealings and correspondence.

As if they would tell us what is really going on.

Media announcements are just for the chattering masses.

10 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Andrew Thompson, SailGP's chief commercial and financial officer, told the Irish Examiner: "SailGP opened its bid process for season 3 – starting 2022 – in March.

"SailGP received an overwhelming response from across the globe.

"Among the cities that approached SailGP is an expression of interest from a bid team from Dublin, Ireland.

Wonder who else put their name down? Would be great to see venues queueing up for it, all points towards more stability going forward.

Billy Besson is out?!

Not a complete surprise after the Racing Beyond the Edge episode which accompanied the event in St Tropez.

Besson and Leigh certainly not seeing eye to eye. 

https://sailgp.com/fr/news/quentin-delapierre-nouveau-pilote-france-team/?fbclid=IwAR1W0fDbpDuEVphcCGIVRTTkRvsUiuJZp0Ffag9np_nhWIg-ZuWucZFDmIg

Interesting that Billy B in an interview say that his dismissal by Bruno B was "brutal" in french of course.

Over the phone I think. Even more interesting is he said he immediately called Wussel to see if that was fair. Clearly Wussel is running all the teams (paying the majority of the costs), so he was the ultimate honcho. 

All to no avail!

47 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Interesting that Billy B in an interview say that his dismissal by Bruno B was "brutal" in french of course.

Over the phone I think. Even more interesting is he said he immediately called Wussel to see if that was fair. Clearly Wussel is running all the teams (paying the majority of the costs), so he was the ultimate honcho. 

All to no avail!

Billy Besson, comment avez-vous appris que l’aventure Sail GP France se terminait pour vous ?

Brutalement. Bruno Dubois (directeur du team France) m’a appelé, le mardi matin qui a suivi l’étape de Saint-Tropez pour me dire que j’étais viré. Donc, je lui ai demandé des explications, et ces explications étaient assez vagues. J’ai quand même demandé une confirmation à Russell Coutts (le patron du circuit Sail GP) avec qui j’ai demandé à déjeuner, et il m’a confirmé que Bruno avait son choix, et pris sa décision pour le bien de l’équipe.

Cette décision a donc été validée par Russell Coutts ?

Oui, car ce que veut Russell Coutts c’est que le circuit Sail GP marche, c’est-à-dire qu’il y ait de l’argent qui rentre, peu importe le nom de la personne qui est le skipper. Il m’a dit en toute honnêteté : « Billy,...

1 hour ago, winchfodder said:

Wussel to see if that was fair. Clearly Wussel is running all the teams (paying the majority of the costs), so he was the ultimate honcho

Ringmaster

1 hour ago, accnick said:

That’s his job.

Excuse me, his job is to do that in a respectful way!

But since Wussel is the puppetmaster, what would you expect?

Actually, I never trusted that Bruno Dubois either, a Walloon (French Belgium) who first cuddled up to a typical Flemish Skipper, then became a North Sails advocate, a French Canadian, a Frog, and an Oracle of repute.

And a liar, pretending to have won the Class Mini Transat, while he was nearly last. Just the first home-build one of just a few! @LeoV, Can you confirm this?

Anyway, the French article quoted by Fodder was only 20% of it. Can some frog here get the whole article, and translate it for the uneducated here, svp.

And Fodder was right indeed, in the end it is all this sleazball, with all others sucking his balls. Including Burling and Tuke, he says...

• Like 1

Feel for Billy, won more races than some of the others and still gets flicked.

how long will russel’s patience last with some of his bigger stars before he calls back that race winning Greek bloke? cheaper too,  no more Dolphin defenders league money to pay out 

all about the ROI for russel and Larry and NZ isn’t bringing it currently 

6 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Excuse me, his job is to do that in a respectful way!

But since Wussel is the puppetmaster, what would you expect?

Actually, I never trusted that Bruno Dubois either, a Walloon (French Belgium) who first cuddled up to a typical Flemish Skipper, then became a North Sails advocate, a French Canadian, a Frog, and an Oracle of repute.

And a liar, pretending to have won the Class Mini Transat, while he was nearly last. Just the first home-build one of just a few! @LeoV, Can you confirm this?

Anyway, the French article quoted by Fodder was only 20% of it. Can some frog here get the whole article, and translate it for the uneducated here, svp.

And Fodder was right indeed, in the end it is all this sleazball, with all others sucking his balls. Including Burling and Tuke, he says...

Unfortunately one has to take a year subcription to that newspaper to get the full article :( 

I can see that Fijis' sunlight does not affect good eyesight ;)

Other interesting point is that Besson had last spring been elected vice-president of the French sailing Federation in an internal coup. Can of worms.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Feel for Billy, won more races than some of the others and still gets flicked.

how long will russel’s patience last with some of his bigger stars before he calls back that race winning Greek bloke? cheaper too,  no more Dolphin defenders league money to pay out 

all about the ROI for russel and Larry and NZ isn’t bringing it currently 

They won't cut Blair & Tuke I don't think. They are too high profile in NZ which must be where a significant oart of their audience is. Whereas Besson wasn't as iconic to the French. 

Though SailGP will need to line up some extra people for some teams if the current stars are busy doing AC40 events, or eventually the AC again.

Of course he won’t cut them, not yet anyway.

of course they will come good, they are too talented not too. It’s just taking considerably longer than 99%of people would have expected.

1 hour ago, enigmatically2 said:

They won't cut Blair & Tuke I don't think. They are too high profile in NZ which must be where a significant oart of their audience is. Whereas Besson wasn't as iconic to the French. 

Though SailGP will need to line up some extra people for some teams if the current stars are busy doing AC40 events, or eventually the AC again.

I also feel bad for Billy. I enjoyed his raw talented and unconventional "seat of the pants" style in an increasingly instrument and technology package. 

BUT....

It is inevitable that skippers will be cut.

Firstly because they are trying to create a spectator, newsworthy sport  and rumors and speculation about a "driver market"  and "driver line up" all add to the gossip.   https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021/09/16/how-is-the-2022-formula-1-driver-line-up-shaping-up/

Secondly, because if this is going to be taken as a seriously competitive endeavor, then teams that are losing will have to make changes.

Top names like Tuke and Burling draw spectators from further afield than NZ.. Someone like me is intrigued to see how a two time AC winning team stack up in one design vs the same skippers.

15 hours ago, moody frog said:

Unfortunately one has to take a year subcription to that newspaper to get the full article :( 

I can see that Fijis' sunlight does not affect good eyesight ;)

Other interesting point is that Besson had last spring been elected vice-president of the French sailing Federation in an internal coup. Can of worms.

Some more of the "Brutal" dismissal.

"

BRUNO DUBOIS: "WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO SHOW AN OTHER FACE"

On Monday the French SailGP team announced that they have replaced skipper Billy Besson with 2020 Nacra 17 Olympian Quentin Delapierre. The decision was taken after the Saint-Tropez Grand Prix in which the French finished last. Team manager Bruno Dubois explains the change Tip & Shaft.

When and why did you make this decision?
It is a decision which was taken after Saint-Tropez. Billy has always said he wanted to be judged on his results. We finished almost last in 2019 (5th out of 6), in 2020, we only did one event (in Sydney), we finished last, and here at the French event we are last. Even though we had progressed and got two podiums, we still had bad results in Aarhus, in Taranto and then in Saint-Tropez, we cannot accept having a French team like that. Billy is a very good racer, I am not questioning that at all, but when you are not getting the results you want in sport, it's often the captain that you have to change. I know it's tough, but people were warned at the start of the season that on SailGP we can make quick, unilateral decisions, everyone knows that.

We are less used to experiencing that in sailing.....
(He cuts) I hear people talk about sport-business, but in the Vendée Globe, the Route du Rhum, this is also about sport-business! This is sailing with and for sponsors and when things don't go well, we make changes. We have already seen changes in major teams in France, this is not an Anglo-Saxon way, everyone is aware of the rules of the game.

Why did you make this decision at this time and not at the end of the season?
Because now is the time to invest for the future. This season has not got off to a good start, as we were aiming to finish in the top 3 and now we have to really prepare for next season. If we only brought in Quentin (Delapierre) at the first event of Season, 3, he would have been a stage behind, so we needed to bring him in early. I explained the situation to Russell (Coutts, boss of the SailGP circuit) who told me that if you have to change, you should to do it now, not later.

Quentin is a young guy
who has a good mentality"

Why Quentin Delapierre?
Well I didn't wake up one morning and think he was the guy to call, he's someone I've been following for a year and a half. I'm used to consulting with people around me to see what’s happening, so I've spoken with people who have worked with him or have advised him over the past few months. There are a few of us who have watched how he managed his Olympic campaign after arriving very late in Nacra 17 and how he managed to get into and do well on big boats (with Sodebo), how he communicates. He is a young guy who is in charge and operates well. He also has very good contacts with very good sponsors.

He will find himself in at the deep end, the next Grand Prix is next weekend in Cadiz, it is quick to find himself on the helm of an F50?
With François Morvan and Leigh McMillan (flight and wing trimmers), they have already taken the working doing the simulator a week and a half ago in England. And as the Spanish planned to sail next week, with the Swiss as well (for them working towards the 2022 season), we were lucky to have the go ahead to sail all week, we will have support for that with Thierry Douillard and also Jimmy Spithill (skipper of the American boat) who, as he had planned to train a youngster, suggested that Quentin comes on the boat with him on Wednesday.

What is the goal for the second half of the season?
We have three events left, the goal is to help Quentin take control of the boat as best he can. On our side is we have is that we have a team that is going well, it will be easier for him to get on quickly on this team than if he had to build it from scratch, like Billy had to do it at the very beginning. Now a strong unit must be created, the objective will be to show some good things in San Francisco (last event of season 2 in March 2022).

"What we have been offering for three years
sponsors are not interested "

Coming back to Saint-Tropez, in addition to the sporting issue, was there an important image issue for you, knowing that you are looking for partners? How was this weekend for you?
The work with our prospects was very good, but the result was not what we would have liked. For sure when you are with potential sponsors that you are looking to convince them to join you, finishing last does not help, especially losing by going out of the boundaries or by taking penalties. These things put the French team in a difficult position.

Let's talk about funding, where is the team today in its search for partners, knowing that SailGP wants teams to self-finance?
We have had a lot of meetings, but for the moment, no sponsor has committed to join us. And today, right now there are countries knocking very hard on the door to come on board and take over existing boats; that’s our responsibility. If we want to be on the water in Season 3 we have to perform on the water and also commercially, we need a product that will interest the sponsors. Unfortunately, it is clear that what we have been offering over these three years is not of interest to the sponsors.

Why ?
Usually the sponsors don't explain why they don't want to sign, it's up to us to guess. I think we need to be able to show another face, maybe that of youth.

"For the moment, we are failing"

Did you expect this job to be so difficult?
I knew very well what I was getting myself into and that it was going to be complicated. It was already been with Franck Cammas on the America's Cup in Bermuda, we are in a similar situation looking at identical network, with the same style of boat and an international circuit, so I am not surprised. I have been hired to get results and if I don’t get them, this will be a failure. And for the moment, we are failing.

Is there a dead-line to get funding?
Larry Ellison has always been clear, saying he will help the circuit for five years, but today there are teams starting to bring in funding, either through sponsorship or through franchise buyouts. That is  also our objective. We know new teams are also coming [new entrants must be financed, Editor's note]: after the Swiss announcement recently there will be more in a few days. I know we have the support of Larry Ellison to keep going but we shouldn't be sitting still meantime.

Is the France team guaranteed to sail in season 3?
No. And it is not only France that are concerned, all the teams that are not funded today are in the same situation.

Billy Besson: "A big surprise"
Asked by Tip & Shaft, Billy Besson spoke of being dropped: "Bruno called me after the weekend in Saint-Tropez to tell me that I was fired. I asked him the reasons and I didn't have a lot of answers. I then asked Russell (Coutts) to have an meeting to clarify the situation. I told him that if I was judged like that on my sports performance, it should be the same for everyone else, that I am not the only one to suffer from it. I did not feel this was coming at all, it was a big surprise. There is always pressure on this circuit, and so before Saint-Tropez, I didn't feel there was any more than usual, I saw no warning signs. As for sporting results, we are certainly last overall, but we also made two podiums, the only two other teams to have made two podiums this season are the Spaniards and the British. It's a disappointment but I will live with it, I have had other hard knocks but as a boxer would say, the one who wins is the one who manages to deal with the most punches."

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LeoV said:

He is a liar, never won it.
Tenth place out of 16.

I remembered them saying that on the VOR/Dongfeng team page, and doubted it at the time. Thanks for confirming that not only my eye sight but also my memory is still ok. ^_^

1 hour ago, winchfodder said:

I know it's tough, but people were warned at the start of the season that on SailGP we can make quick, unilateral decisions, everyone knows that.

Thanks for a pretty enlightening interview Fodder, it shows that Bruno is clearly walking the Wussell talk. And putting all the blame on the skipper/helsman! I thought that in "Sport-business”, like any other business, the CEO would get fired.

So, ironically, Billy fires Marie (Riou), Bruno fires Billy, Wussell fires Bruno, Larry fires Wussel, and Larry fires... a gun. RIP RIH.

• Like 1

So how many years is Wussell into the 5 years of Larryloot? Covid glitched them but they did boat shit. 2019 + 5 = 2024. Tickety tock. But they really started 2018, revamping boats...2023?

9 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

I remembered them saying that on the VOR/Dongfeng team page, and doubted it at the time. Thanks for confirming that not only my eye sight but also my memory is still ok. ^_^

Thanks for a pretty enlightening interview Fodder, it shows that Bruno is clearly walking the Wussell talk. And putting all the blame on the skipper/helsman! I thought that in "Sport-business”, like any other business, the CEO would get fired.

So, ironically, Billy fires Marie (Riou), Bruno fires Billy, Wussell fires Bruno, Larry fires Wussel, and Larry fires... a gun. RIP RIH.

I read between the lines: " We, French team, are on the verge of being excluded from the field - because of results but also because we repeatedly fail finding money, I had to try a bold move and keep fingers crossed"

• Like 3
On 10/2/2021 at 12:51 AM, winchfodder said:

Some more of the "Brutal" dismissal.

"

BRUNO DUBOIS: "WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO SHOW AN OTHER FACE"

On Monday the French SailGP team announced that they have replaced skipper Billy Besson with 2020 Nacra 17 Olympian Quentin Delapierre. The decision was taken after the Saint-Tropez Grand Prix in which the French finished last. Team manager Bruno Dubois explains the change Tip & Shaft.

When and why did you make this decision?
It is a decision which was taken after Saint-Tropez. Billy has always said he wanted to be judged on his results. We finished almost last in 2019 (5th out of 6), in 2020, we only did one event (in Sydney), we finished last, and here at the French event we are last. Even though we had progressed and got two podiums, we still had bad results in Aarhus, in Taranto and then in Saint-Tropez, we cannot accept having a French team like that. Billy is a very good racer, I am not questioning that at all, but when you are not getting the results you want in sport, it's often the captain that you have to change. I know it's tough, but people were warned at the start of the season that on SailGP we can make quick, unilateral decisions, everyone knows that.

We are less used to experiencing that in sailing.....
(He cuts) I hear people talk about sport-business, but in the Vendée Globe, the Route du Rhum, this is also about sport-business! This is sailing with and for sponsors and when things don't go well, we make changes. We have already seen changes in major teams in France, this is not an Anglo-Saxon way, everyone is aware of the rules of the game.

Why did you make this decision at this time and not at the end of the season?
Because now is the time to invest for the future. This season has not got off to a good start, as we were aiming to finish in the top 3 and now we have to really prepare for next season. If we only brought in Quentin (Delapierre) at the first event of Season, 3, he would have been a stage behind, so we needed to bring him in early. I explained the situation to Russell (Coutts, boss of the SailGP circuit) who told me that if you have to change, you should to do it now, not later.

Quentin is a young guy
who has a good mentality"

Why Quentin Delapierre?
Well I didn't wake up one morning and think he was the guy to call, he's someone I've been following for a year and a half. I'm used to consulting with people around me to see what’s happening, so I've spoken with people who have worked with him or have advised him over the past few months. There are a few of us who have watched how he managed his Olympic campaign after arriving very late in Nacra 17 and how he managed to get into and do well on big boats (with Sodebo), how he communicates. He is a young guy who is in charge and operates well. He also has very good contacts with very good sponsors.

He will find himself in at the deep end, the next Grand Prix is next weekend in Cadiz, it is quick to find himself on the helm of an F50?
With François Morvan and Leigh McMillan (flight and wing trimmers), they have already taken the working doing the simulator a week and a half ago in England. And as the Spanish planned to sail next week, with the Swiss as well (for them working towards the 2022 season), we were lucky to have the go ahead to sail all week, we will have support for that with Thierry Douillard and also Jimmy Spithill (skipper of the American boat) who, as he had planned to train a youngster, suggested that Quentin comes on the boat with him on Wednesday.

What is the goal for the second half of the season?
We have three events left, the goal is to help Quentin take control of the boat as best he can. On our side is we have is that we have a team that is going well, it will be easier for him to get on quickly on this team than if he had to build it from scratch, like Billy had to do it at the very beginning. Now a strong unit must be created, the objective will be to show some good things in San Francisco (last event of season 2 in March 2022).

"What we have been offering for three years
sponsors are not interested "

Coming back to Saint-Tropez, in addition to the sporting issue, was there an important image issue for you, knowing that you are looking for partners? How was this weekend for you?
The work with our prospects was very good, but the result was not what we would have liked. For sure when you are with potential sponsors that you are looking to convince them to join you, finishing last does not help, especially losing by going out of the boundaries or by taking penalties. These things put the French team in a difficult position.

Let's talk about funding, where is the team today in its search for partners, knowing that SailGP wants teams to self-finance?
We have had a lot of meetings, but for the moment, no sponsor has committed to join us. And today, right now there are countries knocking very hard on the door to come on board and take over existing boats; that’s our responsibility. If we want to be on the water in Season 3 we have to perform on the water and also commercially, we need a product that will interest the sponsors. Unfortunately, it is clear that what we have been offering over these three years is not of interest to the sponsors.

Why ?
Usually the sponsors don't explain why they don't want to sign, it's up to us to guess. I think we need to be able to show another face, maybe that of youth.

"For the moment, we are failing"

Did you expect this job to be so difficult?
I knew very well what I was getting myself into and that it was going to be complicated. It was already been with Franck Cammas on the America's Cup in Bermuda, we are in a similar situation looking at identical network, with the same style of boat and an international circuit, so I am not surprised. I have been hired to get results and if I don’t get them, this will be a failure. And for the moment, we are failing.

Is there a dead-line to get funding?
Larry Ellison has always been clear, saying he will help the circuit for five years, but today there are teams starting to bring in funding, either through sponsorship or through franchise buyouts. That is  also our objective. We know new teams are also coming [new entrants must be financed, Editor's note]: after the Swiss announcement recently there will be more in a few days. I know we have the support of Larry Ellison to keep going but we shouldn't be sitting still meantime.

Is the France team guaranteed to sail in season 3?
No. And it is not only France that are concerned, all the teams that are not funded today are in the same situation.

Billy Besson: "A big surprise"
Asked by Tip & Shaft, Billy Besson spoke of being dropped: "Bruno called me after the weekend in Saint-Tropez to tell me that I was fired. I asked him the reasons and I didn't have a lot of answers. I then asked Russell (Coutts) to have an meeting to clarify the situation. I told him that if I was judged like that on my sports performance, it should be the same for everyone else, that I am not the only one to suffer from it. I did not feel this was coming at all, it was a big surprise. There is always pressure on this circuit, and so before Saint-Tropez, I didn't feel there was any more than usual, I saw no warning signs. As for sporting results, we are certainly last overall, but we also made two podiums, the only two other teams to have made two podiums this season are the Spaniards and the British. It's a disappointment but I will live with it, I have had other hard knocks but as a boxer would say, the one who wins is the one who manages to deal with the most punches."

brutal?

I dunno about that. it's a results based system and the guy in last place doesn't really get to point fingers elsewhere.

SailGP Social Media Platforms are teasing a tenth SailGP Team which would complete SailGP's Line-Up for Season 3 and beyond...

My guess it will be either Italy or Germany (given that the German Medal Winners from the Olympics were at the Denmark SailGP observing).

14 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

SailGP Social Media Platforms are teasing a tenth SailGP Team which would complete SailGP's Line-Up for Season 3 and beyond...

My guess it will be either Italy or Germany (given that the German Medal Winners from the Olympics were at the Denmark SailGP observing).

The origin of this one is going to raise a few eyebrows. 

10 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

China? (Apologies if is China already in.)

If it is who I think, then they are relatively unknown in this arena, as in no AC team for decades (80s maybe), no VOR team or stopover, no GC32 team, no Olympic medals for a while.

However, I have been out of it for a while so things may well have changed.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Potter said:

If it is who I think, then they are relatively unknown in this arena, as in no AC team for decades (80s maybe), no VOR team or stopover, no GC32 team, no Olympic medals for a while.

However, I have been out of it for a while so things may well have changed.

Sounds very interesting.