14 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

It will be great to see women on the boats. i doubt they grind

Why shouldn't the gals grind? Mandate all the grinders be women - that'll get them into the sport.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to stop and take a photo of this today (not like I'm pushed for time during lockdown ). Looks like my youngest likes SailGP. Perhaps the boats are just easier to build with lego than the foiling

i didnt bag the ac dipshit. quite strangely you identify yourself with that event and you feel like if someone bags on you, that means the event. i thought it was good. you on the other hand must be f

Some of you are truly amusing. Let's start with a simple truth. This event was probably the best televised sailing I have ever seen. Sure, there is room for improvement but the racing was epic, t

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Excellent! :)   From the article: "Bruni previously competed alongside Outteridge at the 35th America's Cup in Bermuda and made a formidable pair that they hope will put them in a strong position..."

Having narrowly missed out on the championship title in the inaugural season, team CEO and helm Nathan Outteridge has bolstered his team ahead of the SailGP Season 2 opener this weekend in Bermuda, April 24-25, which also includes the all-star Japanese line-up of Leo Takahashi, Tim Morishima and Yuki Kasatani, who were part of the successful team that were runner-up in Season 1.

Bruni joins the Japan team fresh from the 36th America's Cup where he was co-helm of Luna Rossa, alongside now rival and helm of the U.S. SailGP Team Jimmy Spithill. Previously he competed alongside Outteridge at the 35th America's Cup in Bermuda and made a formidable pairing which they hope will put them in a strong position when they line-up against the other world-class teams at the Bermuda Sail Grand Prix presented by Hamilton Princess.

Bruni said: "SailGP is a fantastic event and I am looking forward to getting to Bermuda, meeting the team and learning my new role. I watched all of Season 1 and was impressed with the racing and am very much looking forward to being back on foiling catamarans again."

Olympic bronze medalist Draper is no stranger to SailGP having served as wing trimmer for the Great Britain SailGP Team in Season 1. Draper adds to the team a wealth of experience in foiling boats having competed in two previous America's Cups plus brings insight from one of his new team's main competitors.

Draper said: "I've been lucky enough to sail with some incredible teams during my career and joining the Japan team is the culmination of that. I am immensely proud to race with the team and continue at the highest level in our sport. This is a going to be epic and we're all supercharged and ready for it!"

World-class female sailors Wakako Kajimoto and Sena Takano complete the team for SailGP Season 2 and will join the Japan team during different stages of the season, with former Japanese national champion and London 2012 Olympian Kajimoto racing in Bermuda, Italy and the UK. And, former Junior World Champion and Rio 2016 Olympian, Takano participating in Denmark, France and Spain. One of the two will then be selected for the final events of the season.

Outteridge said: "I am really excited for the season ahead and to bring Francesco and Chris into the team - both sailors that I have the utmost respect for and that will bring huge passion and experience to the team. They will both really complement the existing talent we have in Leo, Tim and Yuki plus our new female signings Wakako and Sena. Season 2 is going to be fantastic - what more could you wish for as sailors - competing against the sport's best athletes in identical, supercharged boats and at iconic cities around the globe. The competition is going to be fierce but as runner-up in Season 1, our new signings show that we certainly mean business this year."

The Japan team will reunite in Bermuda this week for a week of training ahead of the opening event of the Season on April 24-25. Find out more at sailgp.com.

3 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

So Bruni (Flight Controller) and Chris Draper (Trimmer) have joined team Japan. Good to see Checco get a gig on GP.

Fantastic News

1. Makes NO immediately more competitive as a team.

2.  It is really great to see Checco get a gig. This truly is including nearly all the very best of AC talent.   NO and Checco together will be fun to watch

What happens to the young Leo T? Will he do some events and Checco do some?

Anyway....this is all very good news.

20 hours ago, accnick said:

Did you watch the AC on TV? If so, did you enjoy it? If not, why did you bother to watch?

Some of us get a kick out the skills we see in it

I watched the AC highlight reels on youtube the next day: 2 races in 25 minutes - perfect. Gotta say that this AC ended up being a non event for me even before AM screwed the pooch!

I found the sailing to be rather boring once the starting gun fired. 

I miss boat and sail handling skills of old... The most action on board is when it takes 8 dudes to get the jib down and into the bag!

I'll watch SailGP as long as it's free and there is enough wind to call it a race during the specific 2 hour TV window allowed... cause races never get postponed due to wind conditions!

1 hour ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

New Zealand SailGP Team helmed by Peter Burling in action onboard the Great Britain SailGP Team hull with the New Zealand wing attached during a practice session ahead of Bermuda SailGP - photo © Simon Bruty /SailGP

weird combination...

It's not weird. Russell Coutts said that the NZ Wing will be tested on another Boat before installed on the NZL Boat see here:

Coutts, the seven-times King Edward VII Gold Cup winner, added: “The plan, if all goes well with those checks, is to commission the wing sail on Monday on actually one of the other platforms.

“And then Tuesday the New Zealand boat will be launched. Provided the wing test and everything go well on Monday, it will have its full wing and platform sailing on Tuesday.”

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Fantastic News

1. Makes NO immediately more competitive as a team.

2.  It is really great to see Checco get a gig. This truly is including nearly all the very best of AC talent.   NO and Checco together will be fun to watch

What happens to the young Leo T? Will he do some events and Checco do some?

Anyway....this is all very good news.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Leo,  a fantastic young talented JAPANESE sailor misses out because AC sailors are in the mix. Same with Dylan Fletcher, he's missed out because AC sailors are in the mix. Taylor Canfield and Rome Kirby are out too.

12 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

You don't need SKY! The Broadcast will be available on their YT Channel just like it was for the America's Cup Racing!

Not in NZ you can't.  There is a "Full Race Replay" on YouTube, 24 hours after the event though.  I'll be interested to see if it's free to access, like the America's Cup, because last time it was geoblocked. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Leo,  a fantastic young talented JAPANESE sailor misses out because AC sailors are in the mix. Same with Dylan Fletcher, he's missed out because AC sailors are in the mix. Taylor Canfield and Rome Kirby are out too.

LOL, Rome Kirby isn't out. He's the Flight Controller on the USA Boat and if you call Leo Takahashi a Japanese I am laughing at you. He spent most of his life in New Zealand. Hardly to him a Japanese. He is sailing for Japan because he wants to compete at the Olympics.

It's the same with Japanese Tennis Player & Superstar Naomi Osaka. She spents most of her life in the United States. Just like Takahashi she gave up US Citizenship because she wanted to compete for Japan at the Tokyo Olympics.

And thirdly you are wrong on Dylan Fletcher. Fletcher said even before Season 1 started that he would only helm the British SailGP Boat for Season 1 because he wanted to focus on the Olympics with his Teammate Stuart Bithell.

Finally before you make these outlandish and outrageous claims you should check the Japanese Law. You can only have Dual Citizenship until your 22nd Birthday and then you have to choose whom do you want to represent.

7 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Not in NZ you can't.  There is a "Full Race Replay" on YouTube, 24 hours after the event though.  I'll be interested to see if it's free to access, like the America's Cup, because last time it was geoblocked. 

Yeah, I don't know if I'll get to see races live even via a VPN!

Haven't found any  country on their website that they don't have a networked pay channel stitched up!  :angry:

Sent an email asking for clarification, on the off chance that I get a response.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

BREAKING

Xabi Fernandez has joined the Spanish SailGP Team!

175722520_1430819320586747_8360395693062

SailGP sure is attracting a lot of top sailors!

• Like 2

It sure looks like INEOS is out as Sponsor for the British SailGP Team. I am not seeing any INEOS Sponsor signs on the British Boat.

Sounds like the chosen team female races as a team member at the end of the season? Several teams have said they are rotating the contenders during the season. So maybe they race all-male most of the time? Hard to parse those pressers. Have to see who's on the boats come race time.

5 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

It sure looks like INEOS is out as Sponsor for the British SailGP Team. I am not seeing any INEOS Sponsor signs on the British Boat.

It looks that way. The name of Ineos has also disappeared from the SailGP team website.

Darn shame.  Makes it even less likely that SailGP survives if they cannot keep the best funded team in place with the added benefit that it is probably the most effective tie in to AC training , and going head to head vs your future competitors.

I hope Ineos does not drop out of sailing.

Just now, EYESAILOR said:

It looks that way. The name of Ineos has also disappeared from the SailGP team website.

Darn shame.  Makes it even less likely that SailGP survives if they cannot keep the best funded team in place with the added benefit that it is probably the most effective tie in to AC training , and going head to head vs your future competitors.

I hope Ineos does not drop out of sailing.

Well,

when Ben announced his Involvment in SailGP at the back end of 2019 it was also announced that the funding by INEOS to fund the British SailGP Team was only for one year so that would explain it.

13 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Well,

when Ben announced his Involvment in SailGP at the back end of 2019 it was also announced that the funding by INEOS to fund the British SailGP Team was only for one year so that would explain it.

I would have thought that the one year would count towards this year since last year was cancelled .....but perhaps there was no refund.

Hopefully, it will be spectacular enough that Ineos would like to come back. The longevity of Sail GP will depend on multi year teams ......Larry E cannot be expected to fund all the teams ad infinitum.

32 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

I would have thought that the one year would count towards this year since last year was cancelled .....but perhaps there was no refund.

Hopefully, it will be spectacular enough that Ineos would like to come back. The longevity of Sail GP will depend on multi year teams ......Larry E cannot be expected to fund all the teams ad infinitum.

Part of the problem from a sponsor perspective may be the way the teams are named and presented publicly, with the team nationality highlighted rather than any sponsor: United States SailGP Team, New Zealand SailGP Team, etc.

Even the fully-sponsored Danish team is called Denmark SailGP Team, with an almost parenthetical "presented by Rockwool" thrown in as part of the team description.

It's a lot lower profile from a sponsor's perspective  than INEOS TeamUK, Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli, or Emirates Team New Zealand were in the AC.

This is clearly a marketing decision, as most SailGP decisions would appear to be.  There must be a method to their madness, but it isn't obvious other than to maintain national identities for each team in cases of revolving-door sponsorship.

• Like 1

Our new SailGP On-Water Reporter:

So, Darmanin, Shirley, Jody Shields are out. I can't stand Darmanin so this is good News!

Also, FINALLY we have Todd Harris back. He is joined by Stevie Morrison and Freddie Carr.

Sorry but I have to do a dig at our Kiwi Fans here: Stephen McIvor was crap at the highest order during AC. Harris should have been the Main Commentator since he did such a fabulous job during AC34. Playing the National Card with McIvor did not help you.

15 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Looks like Hannah didn’t get the memo from DG that she isn’t in the team.. 

Think she's the "Guest". Saw a clip of them sailing and someone her size was just behind Ben. Also some  distinctly low profile Ineos branding. She'd have to get back to the 470 pretty quick. Not much time there.

Finally I found the Spanish SailGP Team Season 2 Announcement

UF_04015.jpg?fm=webp&w=1920

https://sailgp.com/news/esp-reveals-season-two-lineup/

Apparently Cadiz has secured SailGP Events in 2021 & 2022. Xabi Fernandez got the Coaching Gig similar to Philippe Presti on the American Team.

• Like 1

They spent a lot in 2020 doing upgrades to wings, foils, control systems. Doubt there was much of a refund for what Ineos paid. Rockwool probably got better value for their first payment.

8 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Haven't found any  country on their website that they don't have a networked pay channel stitched up!  :angry:

Sent an email asking for clarification, on the off chance that I get a response.

SailGP replied (emphasis mine):

"There are a variety of ways for fans around the world to watch the racing, whether that be via their local broadcast partner, SaiGP's digital channels, or both. There are a handful of territories globally where a network has exclusive rights to air the racing live, which of course we are bound to respect.

Would strongly encourage you to check out our website for full details on how to watch in your country: SailGP.com/watch. "

Could I ask that anyone getting access to live coverage via the SailGP website or YouTube post the country they are in?

I wonder how long it takes the shore crew to knock out that center section of the wing for heavier breeze?

I can't imagine it's a trivial amount of time...

2 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Could I ask that anyone getting access to live coverage via the SailGP website or YouTube post the country they are in?

Max, you need to sort this out....find out which country we switch our VPNs to.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Max, you need to sort this out....find out which country we switch our VPNs to.

Dang right!   Race starts at 3AM AEST,  depends what time any broadcast starts, then will just have to randomly try different countries in the VPN I guess!

That's why I'm asking for "clues" - if anyone can access free broadcast and advises us of their country, we're rolling.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Having narrowly missed out on the championship title in the inaugural season, team CEO and helm Nathan Outteridge has bolstered his team ahead of the SailGP Season 2 opener this weekend in Bermuda, April 24-25, which also includes the all-star Japanese line-up of Leo Takahashi, Tim Morishima and Yuki Kasatani, who were part of the successful team that were runner-up in Season 1.

Bruni joins the Japan team fresh from the 36th America's Cup where he was co-helm of Luna Rossa, alongside now rival and helm of the U.S. SailGP Team Jimmy Spithill. Previously he competed alongside Outteridge at the 35th America's Cup in Bermuda and made a formidable pairing which they hope will put them in a strong position when they line-up against the other world-class teams at the Bermuda Sail Grand Prix presented by Hamilton Princess.

Bruni said: "SailGP is a fantastic event and I am looking forward to getting to Bermuda, meeting the team and learning my new role. I watched all of Season 1 and was impressed with the racing and am very much looking forward to being back on foiling catamarans again."

Olympic bronze medalist Draper is no stranger to SailGP having served as wing trimmer for the Great Britain SailGP Team in Season 1. Draper adds to the team a wealth of experience in foiling boats having competed in two previous America's Cups plus brings insight from one of his new team's main competitors.

Draper said: "I've been lucky enough to sail with some incredible teams during my career and joining the Japan team is the culmination of that. I am immensely proud to race with the team and continue at the highest level in our sport. This is a going to be epic and we're all supercharged and ready for it!"

World-class female sailors Wakako Kajimoto and Sena Takano complete the team for SailGP Season 2 and will join the Japan team during different stages of the season, with former Japanese national champion and London 2012 Olympian Kajimoto racing in Bermuda, Italy and the UK. And, former Junior World Champion and Rio 2016 Olympian, Takano participating in Denmark, France and Spain. One of the two will then be selected for the final events of the season.

Outteridge said: "I am really excited for the season ahead and to bring Francesco and Chris into the team - both sailors that I have the utmost respect for and that will bring huge passion and experience to the team. They will both really complement the existing talent we have in Leo, Tim and Yuki plus our new female signings Wakako and Sena. Season 2 is going to be fantastic - what more could you wish for as sailors - competing against the sport's best athletes in identical, supercharged boats and at iconic cities around the globe. The competition is going to be fierce but as runner-up in Season 1, our new signings show that we certainly mean business this year."

The Japan team will reunite in Bermuda this week for a week of training ahead of the opening event of the Season on April 24-25. Find out more at sailgp.com.

Good news for Nathan, BUUUUUUT didn't goobs and parko need to leave Japan for season 2 due to nationality clauses? Doesn't add up to me?

I also did not realise that Goobs was on ineos for the AC36, did he ever get on the boat or did bleddyn do the wing every race?

31 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Dang right!   Race starts at 3AM AEST,  depends what time any broadcast starts, then will just have to randomly try different countries in the VPN I guess!

That's why I'm asking for "clues" - if anyone can access free broadcast and advises us of their country, we're rolling.

Italy is not listed among the countries with an official tv coverage and so it should be a good option as a VPN destination:

From the sailGP website:

If your country isn't listed above, please find coverage on any of our channels below:
SailGP App - Apple // Android
SailGP @ Youtube
SailGP @ Facebook
SailGP @ Twitter

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

You can find out which countries have which viewing options at https://sailgp.com/watch/, click Change and select a country from the dropdown menu.

For example in the US live coverage is on Facebook and YouTube.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Leo was aligned with a team for Season 2.0, as a flight controller. I suspect he’s focusing on the games, rather than “missing out”.

10 minutes ago, shebeen said:

Good news for Nathan, BUUUUUUT didn't goobs and parko need to leave Japan for season 2 due to nationality clauses? Doesn't add up to me?

The nationality clause seems to have been watered down a tad, but they would have had to loose one of the internationals in "season 2" under the original rules. Goobs and Parko were always slated to step off for AC commitments anyway, and its fortuitous that INEOS entered the SailGP game to allow them to return.

On 4/19/2021 at 6:48 PM, Rennmaus said:

You are right when you look at these parameters only, but look how this race is struggling since years. Volvo-paid entries, mediocre regatta village attendance (on average), and with the great benefactor Volvo gone now, who knows how things will turn out. There is almost no publicity for the next event (the TOREU); I wonder who is actually aware that it will start in a couple of weeks. I wouldn't be without @stief, and I love the VOR/TOR.

hold the phone. The Ocean Race starts in a few weeks? what rock have i been hiding under?

oh, it's a new europe feeder race, the main thing kicks off october 2022. but your point is proven.

8 minutes ago, Metoxi said:

You can find out which countries have which viewing options at https://sailgp.com/watch/, click Change and select a country from the dropdown menu.

For example in the US live coverage is on Facebook and YouTube.

Thanks!  ;)

The UK is also now listed as Live on YouTube - I checked some weeks ago and YT wasn't a UK option then.

Still no free option for AU, NZ and others!

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Italy is not listed among the countries with an official tv coverage and so it should be a good option as a VPN destination:

From the sailGP website:

If your country isn't listed above, please find coverage on any of our channels below:
SailGP @ Youtube
SailGP @ Facebook
SailGP @ Twitter

Germany isn't listed either. Good news? 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, strider470 said:

From the sailGP website:

SailGP @ Youtube
SailGP @ Facebook
SailGP @ Twitter

https://www.sailing.org/news/90904.php#.YH_hUmdKjg5

• Sky Italia (Italy): With the first-ever Italy Sail Grand Prix Taranto on June 5-6 and the addition of legendary Italian sailor Francesco Bruni to the Japan SailGP team, Sky Italia will air the Italy Sail Grand Prix live and offer coverage throughout the season
  • Like 1
31 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Weird that Italy is not included!  You can find Mongolia, Botswana, Chad, Myanmar.... ??? :blink:

36 minutes ago, strider470 said:

From the sailGP website:

SailGP @ Youtube
SailGP @ Facebook
SailGP @ Twitter

I'm guessing fb live streaming doesn't have location restrictions, or am i technology deificient?

Because there is geoblocking in place, does this mean that broadcasters are paying actual significant $$$$ to secure the TV rights? if this is really the case then i suppose it is good news for the sustainability of the project

1 hour ago, Metoxi said:

https://www.sailing.org/news/90904.php#.YH_hUmdKjg5

• Sky Italia (Italy): With the first-ever Italy Sail Grand Prix Taranto on June 5-6 and the addition of legendary Italian sailor Francesco Bruni to the Japan SailGP team, Sky Italia will air the Italy Sail Grand Prix live and offer coverage throughout the season

Damn

5 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Maybe someone can post the YT link of the live stream once it is available. Then we can check whether it is visible or not.

Whack-a-mole

1 hour ago, strider470 said:

Damn

It's a bit confusing, but my understanding so far is that a country (Italy) will only be excluded from live TY coverage if SailGP has an exclusive coverage with the local media channel.

But I thought you had a VPN anyway?

1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

Maybe someone can post the YT link of the live stream once it is available. Then we can check whether it is visible or not.

Absolutely!   Maybe check the SailGP Channel ?

14 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Absolutely!   Maybe check the SailGP Channel ?

I did and couldn't find a live stream announcement link (yet). If Germany is geoblocked, I will never see one, therefore it's interesting to know when/if others can see it. It will be available probably one day before the broadcast starts.

4 hours ago, shebeen said:

I also did not realise that Goobs was on ineos for the AC36, did he ever get on the boat or did bleddyn do the wing every race?

Nope, Bleddyn was the trimmer for every race. Goobs was down as an advisor or some such other title.

8 hours ago, Jethrow said:

I wonder how long it takes the shore crew to knock out that center section of the wing for heavier breeze?

I can't imagine it's a trivial amount of time...

It's an overnight job to do it on all the boats. The call will probably be made the night before, and if made, it will apply to all boats.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Why the hell are sooo impatient? Everything will come in time!

3 hours ago, strider470 said:

Damn

What is interesting is that adding some mixed nationality broadens the interest. Even without an Italian team, if you have a much loved Italian sailor to the team, Italian fans can get behind the team. 

Great that Checco is involved and great that Italy TV covers.....maybe generates an Italian sponsor for next year?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Why the hell are sooo impatient? Everything will come in time!

What's wrong with you, why do you even care about any imagined impatience? I was just giving an idea how to find out who is not geoblocked to help others - a concept that might be foreign to you. I'm so patient, that I probably won't watch anyway, because the weather is supposed to be o.k. by the end of the week, and I can't wait to get outside.
Geez, you are paranoid, please put me on ignore, really.

Nah, they started the greeny, no single use plastic, refill your water bottle stuff last season. Females this season, LGBQT next if it gets eyeballs. Anything for eyeballs.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

What is interesting is that adding some mixed nationality broadens the interest. Even without an Italian team, if you have a much loved Italian sailor to the team, Italian fans can get behind the team. 

Great that Checco is involved and great that Italy TV covers.....maybe generates an Italian sponsor for next year?

Problem is that it's on sky, and therefore invisible for most of the people here.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

It's a bit confusing, but my understanding so far is that a country (Italy) will only be excluded from live TY coverage if SailGP has an exclusive coverage with the local media channel.

But I thought you had a VPN anyway?

I have indeed

On 4/20/2021 at 7:52 PM, MaxHugen said:

You're welcome here mate B)

_20210421_220807.JPG

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Quote Blair Tuke: "as we race this boat around the world"

Now, that would be something I would like to watch and that they should hype up. I would even pay for it, or wait 48 hours to see it on YouTube.

NZ Herald 22/04

Blair Tuke is dampening down expectations for the New Zealand team ahead of the Sail GP season kicking off in Bermuda this weekend.

It's the second year of the eight-round series raced in F50 catamarans, which features a New Zealand team for the first time and has Christchurch hosting the seventh leg of the series in January next year The New Zealand team, which is skippered by Team New Zealand's America's Cup-winning helmsman Peter Burling, is up against Australia, Denmark, France, Great Britain, Japan, Spain and the United States.

Many of Burling's America's Cup rivals are involved with Ineos Team UK's Sir Ben Ainslie heading up the British team and Jimmy Spithill joining the American team. Australia are the defending champions. Tuke, who arrived in Bermuda with the rest of the team last Saturday, says it's been a steep learning curve for the Kiwis. "We are racing against the best sailors in the world and a lot of those sailors have spent a considerable amount of time on these boats," Tuke told the Herald.

The New Zealand team has had to borrow opposition boats for the first few days, only taking possession of their black boat named Amokura, the Māori name of the red-tailed tropic bird, in the past 24 hours. Tuke says they are definitely in catch up mode.

"For us we have got to try and learn as quickly as we can and develop our roles on the boat to try and catch up to the level they are at. For us the long goal is holding the trophy at the end of season two so we are not coming into the first event here in Bermuda with super high expectations on the overall result. But it's more a learning curve for us to try to develop our systems for the remainder of the season."

The 31-year-old is relishing competing in a series where the boats are identical in every aspect, meaning sailing skills, rather than having the advantage of being in the best boat, will determine the outcome.

"Sail GP being one design you have to eke out all the advantages you can in the settings and the way you sail it to try to get the boat going faster than other teams and then ultimately get around the racetrack quicker," Tuke said. Tuke has also revealed a change of role for him compared to sailing on Te Rehutai in the America's Cup defence where he was flight controller. "I am actually trimming the wing sail so the wing trimmer and Andy Maloney has shifted into the flight control role."

Returning to Bermuda for the first time since Team New Zealand won the America's Cup in 2017 has brought back special memories for Tuke who is looking forward to fleet racing in a fast foiling boat for the first time in his career.

"This is the first series where you have boats going this fast racing in a fleet-style race. Before you [only] had the America's Cup where races are going this sort of speed in match racing. So to have eight boats on the start line in these sorts of races is going to make for some spectacular sailing."

Much like in the recent America's Cup in Auckland, Tuke says getting a good start is important in Sail GP. "Back to reaching starts with this style of racing - you will see eight boats on the start line going 90 to 100 degrees to the wind in any sort of breeze at pretty good pace, so the start is important and then the first turning mark and it will be quick from there. So it's going to be new for us, we have never done this sort of style but absolutely loving the challenge and what we have ahead of us."

Racing takes place on the Great Bermuda Sound on Sunday and Monday morning. There are three races each day lasting approximately 15 minutes each.

Adjusting to live in a Covid environment has also been challenging over the last few days for the Kiwi team. "I'm not hiding away from the fact it's very different to how we lived in New Zealand for the last year," Tuke lamented. "Bermuda went into lockdown before we arrived. We basically go between the hotels here, the boat yard and out on to the water. We have a bubble within our team, so you see the other teams (from a distance) and say gidday but that's about it unfortunately."

While he is downplaying New Zealand's chances over the weekend, Tuke expects the series to be even with great depth to all the teams. "Out of the eight teams they will all win races over the season. I think Ben Ainslie and his crew set a benchmark in Sydney last year. We might not be quite there for the first event, we would love to be but will definitely be in the mix for the rest of the season."

After Bermuda the circuit heads to Taranto in Italy in early June. It's followed by Plymouth in England in July and rounds in Denmark, France and Spain before the Christchurch event on the 29th and 30th of January next year. The final event is in San Francisco in late March 2022.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Head of ops Anna Tuke, sounds like some nepotism in the hiring there!

Seriously though, what is the point of making the skippers CEO of the team? Is that a ceremonial name or do they actually get their hands dirty on business stuff/finances/payroll/hiring/HR/logistics decisions when their best skills are surely making the boat go fast and leaving this stuff to the people who have done it professionally before?

I’d guess the CEO title is somewhat aspirational at this stage - they have some CEO responsibility now - but the hope is that if/when SailGP is strong enough for teams to attract major sponsors, then these guys/gals will be in place to do the whole job.

After winning AC 35 as skipper, 10 time A Cat world champion GA was happy to trim for NO in the Superfoiler circuit.

Now AC 36 runner-up skipper Checco is happy to trim for Nathan in SailGP.

How was this guy on the beach for AC 37?  Who made that call on AM?

2 hours ago, cbulger said:

I’d guess the CEO title is somewhat aspirational at this stage - they have some CEO responsibility now - but the hope is that if/when SailGP is strong enough for teams to attract major sponsors, then these guys/gals will be in place to do the whole job.

And have a management job as they age off 

5 hours ago, shebeen said:

Seriously though, what is the point of making the skippers CEO of the team? Is that a ceremonial name or do they actually get their hands dirty on business stuff/finances/payroll/hiring/HR/logistics decisions when their best skills are surely making the boat go fast and leaving this stuff to the people who have done it professionally before?

The nuts and bolts stuff you cite is more typically the job of the COO, not the CEO. In AC world, the COO is more commonly called the General Manager, but each team has its own names for the positions.

This is the worst Nightmare for Pete Burling & Blair Tuke. They have barely any training at all and have to "Race for Keeps" tomorrow!

• Like 1

@MaxHugen

SailGP just got back to me and announced that they will "Lock Down" all Communication tomorrow to avoid any Spoilers who won the Races so it will as exciting as it usually would be on Saturday.

TBH, I am pretty used avoiding Spoilers since I had to do that when the Final Star Wars Movie came out in 2019.

Don't you dare mention anything tomorrow!

9 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

@MaxHugen

SailGP just got back to me and announced that they will "Lock Down" all Communication tomorrow to avoid any Spoilers who won the Races so it will as exciting as it usually would be on Saturday.
Don't you dare mention anything tomorrow!

Hahaha... gotcha!   :D

image.png.b8827bfa337a7f51d782b5e26d34de53.png

When is the first race in Bermuda time?

36 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

BIG BREAKING NEWS

Because of Light Wind Forecast Race Day 1 has been moved to Friday!

What a pile of shit.  Now you have to pay to watch delayed coverage?

Anyone wanting to keep some level of excitement while watching the races probably shouldn't visit these pages for the 24hours prior.

10 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

What a pile of shit.  Now you have to pay to watch delayed coverage?

Anyone wanting to keep some level of excitement while watching the races probably shouldn't visit these pages for the 24hours prior.

They will lock the Communication between the Teams & the outside world until Saturday. Pretty easy to do since they are all still in a bubble!