1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

https://www.sail-world.com/news/236968/Revised-SailGP-schedule-makes-Kiwis-task-tougher

"With the Kiwi F50, named Amokura complete and ready to race, strong winds hit Bermuda, wiping out one of the New Zealand team's remaining three practice days, and now a second has gone with the altered race schedule.

The teams have been able to compensate for the loss of time by swapping boats, and the NZSailGP has been on sailing in Bermuda - with the wingsail on the British platform on one occasion"

Hopefully they, like some other teams did, stayed on the water long after today’s racing ended.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to stop and take a photo of this today (not like I'm pushed for time during lockdown ). Looks like my youngest likes SailGP. Perhaps the boats are just easier to build with lego than the foiling

I've never been annoyed this much watching otherwise excellent racing or in fact any sailing ever.  The sailors and sailing are awesome, boats are good for trashing around short courses - how can

Some of you are truly amusing. Let's start with a simple truth. This event was probably the best televised sailing I have ever seen. Sure, there is room for improvement but the racing was epic, t

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

1 day.

That is possible. I doubt it but won’t bother trying to refute it.

Their starts sucked too.. Maybe Ray Davies can give some instruction? 

Performing well against this fleet might help put a ‘Qatar’ on NZ’s AC Team name? 

19 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Why do you keep worrying about if the SailGP league will keep alive? Geezus, look at this thing, it’s spectacular! 

In the Tip & Shaft article posted above, the plan is to grow it even bigger. 

I am not worrying I am thinking about business strategy. Monumental Sports and Entertainment is doing quite well, great strategy by an ex AOL founder. Russell is no Ted Leonsis. With Larry's money, they should get one. 

https://monumentalsports.com/innovations/

8 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

That is possible. I doubt it but won’t bother trying to refute it.

Their starts sucked too.. Maybe Ray Davies can give some instruction? 

Performing well against this fleet might help put a ‘Qatar’ on NZ’s AC Team name? 

Ray Davies is contracted to ETNZ, not SailGP. 

The boats are shit. Maybe if SailGP had ETNZ's design team, the boats would be better, but I guess, they had to settle for who they had :)

1 minute ago, NeedAClew said:

I am not worrying I am thinking about business strategy.

Best business strategy here is apparently to have a $B with more $B’s than he knows what to do with. If teams can replace their given budget with better ones, then Good! 

13 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

But, you already have!

Yawn, whatever dude

.. With the eight teams sailing identical supplied F50 cats, the Kiwis have managed to get in a couple of hours training on rival boats on each of the last three days 

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/124901863/peter-burling-and-blair-tuke-christen-new-zealands-sailgp-boat

2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Yawn, whatever dude

.. With the eight teams sailing identical supplied F50 cats, the Kiwis have managed to get in a couple of hours training on rival boats on each of the last three days 

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/124901863/peter-burling-and-blair-tuke-christen-new-zealands-sailgp-boat

So 6 hours over 3 days? Sheesh.

This is why SailGP is so crap. The "worlds best sailors" are made to look like amateurs because of shit management.

At least in the AC, the race boats were fast, stable and controllable straight out of the box. Testament to a good design team I guess.

I ONLY SAY THIS: PUT UP OR SHUT UP SIR BEN AINSLIE. I think you will need immediatedly removed from helming if you don't put up Results!

4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

This is why SailGP is so crap. The "worlds best sailors" are made to look like amateurs because of shit management.

At least in the AC, the race boats were fast, stable and controllable straight out of the box. Testament to a good design team I guess.

Out of the box? Was that the simulator box? The test boat box? Both boxes?  That time mattered. Agreed on crap management but "straight out of the box" is a foil too far, lol

2 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I ONLY SAY THIS: PUT UP OR SHUT UP SIR BEN AINSLIE. I think you will need immediatedly removed from helming if you don't put up Results!

I just got off a very painful Skype call with the Guv.  He was pretty broken up, said he wasn't even worthy of being "Guv" anymore.  But when I read him your post, your losing faith in him just made him break down and start sobbing. Your opinion matters so much to him, even more than Russell cares about my opinion of his management skills and business strategy. 

LYING FONT btw

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Out of the box? Was that the simulator box? The test boat box? Both boxes?  That time mattered. Agreed on crap management but "straight out of the box" is a foil too far, lol

Straight outta the box.

2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Missed my point. Had they not used an AC75 simulator?  For SGP they got tossed on the boat cold turkey.  With different controls than last time. Not fair comparison for team or boats.

Just now, NeedAClew said:

Missed my point. Had they not used an AC75 simulator?  For SGP they got tossed on the boat cold turkey.

SailGP also has a simulator. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

It's weird the way you get invested........

In the battle of Sailgp threads, Smackers one doesn't seem to have made the start.

What an absolute genius move to shift around the racing and broadcasting. They should do this every event....definitely onto something......

• Like 2
Just now, Forourselves said:

SailGP also has a simulator. 

Yes but I don't think they got to use it this time because of covid restrictions on location and travel. I really don't think you want to attribute ETNZ's ability to sail so well just to the boat driving itself, lol. 

1 minute ago, NeedAClew said:

Yes but I don't think they got to use it this time because of covid restrictions on location and travel. I really don't think you want to attribute ETNZ's ability to sail so well just to the boat driving itself, lol. 

I'm not, I'm saying they are able to produce a better package. 

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

Yep, thats what you and your mate SD, Alchy and SRay were, and are after Bermuda 2017, and again Auckland 2021.

They won in Bermudas and Auckkand thanks to a french designer, Guillaume Verdier, like it or not. And yes, sore losers last day.

2 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

They won in Bermudas and Auckkand thanks to a french designer, Guillaume Verdier, like it or not. And yes, sore losers last day.

Didnt you know? GV is a Kiwi like it or not.

Who is that "Anarchist David", who writes for the front page (the what???) every now an then?

Today, he's right (usually he isn't), but geeeeezzzzzz, he should know his Shakespeare before attributing Sir Walter Scott's "tangled web" (19th century) to our beloved Renaissance poet. Embarrassing.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Who is that "Anarchist David", who writes for the front page (the what???) every now an then?

Today, he's right (usually he isn't), but geeeeezzzzzz, he should know his Shakespeare before attributing Sir Walter Scott's "tangled web" (19th century) to our beloved Renaissance poet. Embarrassing.

That guy is an illegal Immigrant! If I ever manage to in person with him I will exchange some unpleasing words with him!

4 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

That guy is an illegal Immigrant! If I ever manage to in person with him I will exchange some unpleasing words with him!

Shouldn’t be hard for you. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Forourselves said:

1.  The NZ team chose when to arrive in Bermuda not SailGP.  Sail GP dont control the weather. The supply chain issues and shortage of shipping are well known. It took brilliant management to anticipate this and get TNZ'z boat shipped in time. Otherwsise NX would not have a boat. It took Herculean efforts to finish the boat locally.  I would score management a 10/10.   Over here we cant even buy washing machines or dishwashers.

2. The AC boats (17 and 20) had plenty of thrills and spills. I dont see tangible evidence that they are less fast or less stable.   We havent had an AM moment yet. Time will tell I guess and feedback from the saiors.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, EYESAILOR said:

1.  The NZ team chose when to arrive in Bermuda not SailGP.  Sail GP dont control the weather. The supply chain issues and shortage of shipping are well known. It took brilliant management to anticipate this and get TNZ'z boat shipped in time. Otherwsise NX would not have a boat. It took Herculean efforts to finish the boat locally.  I would score management a 10/10.   Over here we cant even buy washing machines or dishwashers.

2. The AC boats (17 and 20) had plenty of thrills and spills. I dont see tangible evidence that they are less fast or less stable.   We havent had an AM moment yet. Time will tell I guess and feedback from the saiors.

I would say it took brillant Management to get the NZ Boat to Bermuda anyways given the COVID19 Restrictions we are facing around the World.

Secondly, I can understand the reasoning by the Race Management that they moved the 1st Day to Friday. SailGP Fans around the world had been waiting for over a year to see some action again and the last thing they needed was a possible Race Day 1 Cancellation on Saturday given the light winds in Bermuda that Day.

I can't understand @Forourselvesreasoning here:

If Pete Burling, Blair Tuke & Crew are as good as he claims they are in a OD Class with equal tools for everyone they should catch up pretty quick. If they aren't (which I think), well then it's not the fault of the Race Management.

Here is what Russell Coutts said about Pete & Blair:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/sailing-identical-sail-gp-boats-to-provide-new-challenge-for-blair-tuke-and-peter-burling-says-sir-russell-coutts/ZI7YKROVBELDSV3TFI6MKI27PE/

Coutts claims EVEN in the Olympic Classes which are hailed as One-Design there are differences in the equipment (Sails, Masts, etc.)

"It's all very well to win when you're going two or three knots faster than somebody else, but when you've got exactly the same equipment then it really boils down to who is going to sail that boat the best," Coutts said.

"That's going to be fascinating because even in their Olympic racing, it's pretty well renowned that Burling and Tuke have developed a speed advantage. A lot of that could be technique, but some of that could be equipment too.

"In those Olympic classes that are so-called one design, there are differences in equipment between masts and sails. They're small differences but differences that nevertheless matter quite a lot. In this race, they're going to be racing against these other guys in an absolutely identical boat and I think that's going to be fascinating to see how they come out of that and which team comes out on top."

Peter Burling & Blair Tuke are no doubt two of the most talented Sailors worldwide but they are not some form of GOATS or UNBEATABLE as Four claims they are.

Bottom Line: Pete & Blair won the AC two-times because they had a faster boat. Now they have to proof they can win with an equal tool!

Confusing.  I watched bits of poor video on Sat 3am (Oz) of the races in Bermuda on Fri 2pm and am now waiting to watch official video on Sun 3am. Nuts!

Tried to get results, but they're incomplete and may be inaccurate?

image.png.745d92ee414e97ca27927da1a0abd677.png

Burling and Tuke are disadvantaged to some extent by lack of time in the latest version of the GP 50.  Their experience in AC 50 and foiling together in AC will stand them in good stead in getting up to speed. It’s not like the other teams have enormous time in the new configuration.  Sling was very rusty in practice but he seems to pick it up quickly.    

Sling is clearly an enormous talent in foiling .   Interestingly his original forte was Lasers .......but he seems to be an incredible all round sailing talent.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

No babes on the boats

Wow, was inclusion and giving female sailors a chance part of the marketing strategy at all? (I haven't followed the official statements, so must rely on the knowledgeables here who have read them.)

EDIT: Didn't take long to find it on the website:

SailGP is focused on the advancement of gender equity and racial diversity, with the longer-term goal to ensure the league is more accessible for all underrepresented groups.

So, it's just blah blah.

• Like 2
Just now, Rennmaus said:

Wow, was inclusion and giving female sailors a chance part of the marketing strategy at all? (I haven't followed the official statements, so must rely on the knowledgeables here who have read them.)

Yes indeed! They make a big deal of it and say women will be " on teams" starting with "immersion" and competition among women to make final choice. But they are silent on whether women will race when it matters. 

Maybe first regatta it's understandable but there seems no timeline for the woman team member to race.

• Like 1

Hah watching the "live" and they can't even sort out the broadcast when its 24hours late? Why haven't they launched straight into some proper coverage?

3 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Yes indeed! They make a big deal of it and say women will be " on teams" starting with "immersion" and competition among women to make final choice. But they are silent on whether women will race when it matters. 

Maybe first regatta it's understandable but there seems no timeline for the woman team member to race.

https://sailgp.com/general/gender-equity/   the process as promised

2 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Hah watching the "live" and they can't even sort out the broadcast when its 24hours late? Why haven't they launched straight into some proper coverage?

It took them 1,447 minutes to get the commentary track up and running...

Jesus if this is how they want to catch a global audience...

2 minutes later, wishing they had left out the commentary alltogether... what a couple of soporific voices!

5 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Not specific enough methinks, and I've seen a lot of similar announcements since I was born, so it's a big shrug for now. 
I will believe it when I see it.

Team GBR are trialing Hannah Mills in Bermuda, with more athletes swapping in and out in other events to follow, with the idea of one full time by the end of the season, did anyone catch if Hannah is on board "today"?

https://sailgp.com/news/great-britain-sailgp-team-confirms-season-2-squad-ben-ainslie/

Also OMG the boats are doing 70-80knots according to the TV data!!!...... or they've managed to fuck that up as well ;)

Does anyone else feel like they've speed up the replay?

3 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Team GBR are trialing Hannah Mills in Bermuda, with more athletes swapping in and out in other events to follow, with the idea of one full time by the end of the season, did anyone catch if Hannah is on board "today"?

https://sailgp.com/news/great-britain-sailgp-team-confirms-season-2-squad-ben-ainslie/

Also OMG the boats are doing 70-80knots according to the TV data!!!...... or they've managed to fuck that up as well ;)

Does anyone else feel like they've speed up the replay?

Well, Denmark has no skipper/helmsperson, nor has NZL.

Just now, JonRowe said:

Speeds in "km"s according to the commentary

Which is what the ACWS introduced at the run-up to AC34. It's still weird, tho, especially when they show 83kn and not km/h.

1 minute ago, Rennmaus said:

Which is what the ACWS introduced at the run-up to AC34. It's still weird, tho, especially when they show 83kn and not km/h.

Yeah the graphics overlay is a shocker

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Yes, but it's a shame that only approx. 5400 people are watching

FlailGP marketing sees that as 54 million views!

Love the night filter in the on water shots...

What happened to DEN and why were they completely ignored?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, crashtack said:

once again, absolute joke of tv direction. This isn't even a live broadcast, how could everything be this bad? The sound, the graphics, the commentary, the shots. Amateur hour

This is tragically boring with those continuous fluff filler pieces - not going to watch live tomorrow, gonna wait for the replays and skip straight to the races

13 minutes ago, Liquid said:

FlailGP marketing sees that as 54 million views!

Love the night filter in the on water shots...

What happened to DEN and why were they completely ignored?

I think they publicise views the same way they show boat speed, with incorrect units.

I figured out why the boats look sped up with the overlay, its the drop in frame rate that the overlay is causing, Russels live line not coping?

16 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Ray Davies is contracted to ETNZ, not SailGP. 

The boats are shit. Maybe if SailGP had ETNZ's design team, the boats would be better, but I guess, they had to settle for who they had :)

Ah it’s the boats fault.. maybe tell the Ozzys? And the other 7teams that finished in front of pistol Pete.. firing blanks? Or just a bit shit without a massive boat advantage? 

not that you were watching ;-) 

Pretty weird having speed discussed in kph instead of knots. Just not right!

Then speeds displayed in the video are kph but labelled kn.  :blink:

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Remember that Marie Riou sailed on France SailGP all of the first season as flight controller.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Ah it’s the boats fault.. maybe tell the Ozzys? And the other 7teams that finished in front of pistol Pete.. firing blanks? Or just a bit shit without a massive boat advantage? 

not that you were watching ;-) 

Yeah its definitely the boats. They're crap. 

3 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Kiwis haven't figured out how to make the boat go yet. They'll sort it out.

Pistol Pete must have loaded blanks. I don't expect that to last though. B)

Yep, mixup with knots and kph at times but hey, opening race of the season for those guys too, no biggy it was obvious what the mistake was.

Cracker racing! Absolutely loved it! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

What are the "speed flags" per boat showing?
83kn? That can't be knots, but what is it?

Kph. The sailors are still talking in knots, however.