32 minutes ago, crashtack said:

and I spoke too soon, it somehow got worse. Graphics were completely broken for the last two races. How did this shitshow even air? Season 1 not only had smoother graphics, but also more of them - penalties, distance to leader, etc. wtf?

The simple graphics they did show were perfectly smooth and (unlike in AC36) perfectly rock-steady too. Yes, I like the distance to leader occasionally but the grid was good, the start and finish lines, the projected ‘Hamilton Princess’ on the water, all plenty good enough. I thought the commentators did fine too.

DC094777-0D01-436E-96CD-CC1536D9093C.thumb.jpeg.d15953fafd19d0c32548f05aa05406b8.jpeg

On the replay too, May as well scroll to 7 mins and skip the earlier crap, like what the TV broadcasters likely did. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to stop and take a photo of this today (not like I'm pushed for time during lockdown ). Looks like my youngest likes SailGP. Perhaps the boats are just easier to build with lego than the foiling

Some of you are truly amusing. Let's start with a simple truth. This event was probably the best televised sailing I have ever seen. Sure, there is room for improvement but the racing was epic, t

i didnt bag the ac dipshit. quite strangely you identify yourself with that event and you feel like if someone bags on you, that means the event. i thought it was good. you on the other hand must be f

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I know that. But the whole team trained and raced from the start. Just saying the exact ROLE of the women seems tbd as well as timing.  

most things in sgp seem very tbd, which is strange considering they've had more than a year to think about things

SailGP appears to be unintentionally answering the question of why sailing hasn't been a televised sport.

The TV directors don't appear to get the point of a fleet race. Only showing maybe 1/10 crosses and position changes, focusing on tight shots of the lead boat with no one around, and not even having a proper overlay for the racing is just a failure of broadcasting.

For their own sake, I hope they manage to fix this because trying to watch what is potentially the greatest collection of sailors in the world with such amateur broadcast work is just embarrassing.

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, crashtack said:

For their own sake, I hope they manage to fix this because trying to watch what is potentially the greatest collection of sailors in the world with such amateur broadcast work is just embarrassing.

Disagree. While AC36 had Kenny and Nathan, this broadcast was right about as good quality; including for the graphics that they did show being much steadier. 

3 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Yep. Its what happens when you win things that actually matter.

Oh good. In that case we won’t all have to suffer witnessing all his money problems again this time around ;) 

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

Disagree. While AC36 had Kenny and Nathan, this broadcast was right about as good quality; including for the graphics that they did show bring much steadier. 

Lol of course it was... and Oracle was faster lol

2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Oh good. In that case we won’t all have to suffer witnessing all his money problems again this time around ;) 

Nah, but I guess that won't stop your boy Ehman from making things up.

Lol of course it was... and Oracle was faster lol

Fastest top-speed-wise in the AC35 Finals? Yes, by that (yes, somewhat pointless measure) Oracle was ‘faster.’ Yawn.

Anyway, am happy to hear your opinion that today’s SailGP racing in Bermuda solved GD’s money problems, somehow :D 

3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

The simple graphics they did show were perfectly smooth and (unlike in AC36) perfectly rock-steady too. Yes, I like the distance to leader occasionally but the grid was good, the start and finish lines, the projected ‘Hamilton Princess’ on the water, all plenty good enough. I thought the commentators did fine too.

DC094777-0D01-436E-96CD-CC1536D9093C.thumb.jpeg.d15953fafd19d0c32548f05aa05406b8.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Disagree. While AC36 had Kenny and Nathan, this broadcast was right about as good quality; including for the graphics that they did show bring much steadier. 

I don't know if we watched the same broadcast, because they barely showed the course overlay for the 2nd and 3rd race, and when they did, the framerate grinded to an absolute halt. And even beyond that, when there were actual battles going on - ben and tom in the last race, for example, it was completely impossible to follow what was going on because they simply refused to show high shots. The only time I knew who was ahead was when one crossed in front of the other for 2 seconds.

They also just completely omitted useful graphics from season 1 for some unfathomable reason. Feels like 2 steps back from 2019, which is saying a lot.

https://puu.sh/HB9fN/246bf5fbbb.jpg

• Like 2

Fastest top-speed-wise in the AC35 Finals? Yes, by that (yes, somewhat pointless measure) Oracle was ‘faster.’ Yawn.

Anyway, am happy to hear your opinion that today’s SailGP racing in Bermuda solved GD’s money problems, somehow :D 

Ellison and Coutts are paying Daltons sailing team aren't they? When Dalton brings them back into the ETNZ fold, they would've raked in some hefty salaries from Coutts and Ellison, so not only have they taken the Cup from them, but taken their money too lol

8 minutes ago, crashtack said:

I don't know if we watched the same broadcast, because they barely showed the course overlay for the 2nd and 3rd race, and when they did, the framerate grinded to an absolute halt. And even beyond that, when there were actual battles going on - ben and tom in the last race, for example, it was completely impossible to follow what was going on because they simply refused to show high shots. The only time I knew who was ahead was when one crossed in front of the other for 2 seconds.

They also just completely omitted useful graphics from season 1 for some unfathomable reason. Feels like 2 steps back from 2019, which is saying a lot.

I will agree that a better explanation of Tom’s big gain over Ben on that last downwind, after they’d split at the top essentially tied, would have been great. 

There were 2 or 3 lead changes in that race, it was pretty hot! 

2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Ellison and Coutts are paying Daltons sailing team aren't they? When Dalton brings them back into the ETNZ fold, they would've raked in some hefty salaries from Coutts and Ellison, so not only have they taken the Cup from them, but taken their money too lol

More importantly, I’d think, is the experience PB and Co will benefit by. 

More importantly, I’d think, is the experience PB and Co will benefit by. 

Experience racing 50ft cats in fleet racing has no bearing on 75ft monohull match racing. They've done 2 cups now and won them both. They've challenged and defended. SailGP is a paycheck until the Olympics comes round and the AC starts again.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Just means these GP clowns aren't anywhere near Team NZ. Dalts is laughing all the way to the bank at this shit show.

Anyone would wonder why his boys signed up if they can’t race in equal kit :lol:

2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Experience racing 50ft cats in fleet racing has no bearing on 75ft monohull match racing. They've done 2 cups now and won them both. They've challenged and defended. SailGP is a paycheck until the Olympics comes round and the AC starts again.

That’s not what GD said, when endorsing their entry into SailGP. 

But believe whatever you like... as usual ;) 

The apologist speaks... 

I mean, it's just not a very good broadcast is it?

Take 10% off the budget of the boats, get some actual commentators in there, and some sailing consultants who know what info we want to see.

I love sailing, and watching sailing, and even I skipped through some of the beats.

2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

That’s not what GD said, when endorsing their entry into SailGP. 

But believe whatever you like... as usual ;) 

I'm glad you now believe what Dalton says... you've finally come around.

4 minutes ago, james3232 said:

I mean, it's just not a very good broadcast is it?

Take 10% off the budget of the boats, get some actual commentators in there, and some sailing consultants who know what info we want to see.

I love sailing, and watching sailing, and even I skipped through some of the beats.

While I admire all these teams, it helps to choose a favorite to gun for. For now, I’m gunning for the underdogs aboard DEN :) 

4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

I'm glad you now believe what Dalton says... you've finally come around.

Perhaps you will come around to GD’s enthusiastic take on SailGP, eventually ;) 

TNZ will be in the thick of this SailGP leaderboard starting soon, you will love it. 

49 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

On the replay too, May as well scroll to 7 mins and skip the earlier crap, like what the TV broadcasters likely did. 

The graphics were broken for the first race, kept removing boats from the water, and slowed the frame rate down to a crawl... AC graphics were far better as they didn't interfere.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Anyone would wonder why his boys signed up if they can’t race in equal kit :lol:

Well, you know... they've taken the Cup off Larry and Russell, so might as well take their money too!

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Well, you know... they've taken the Cup off Larry and Russell, so might as well take their money too!

They won the Cup twice because they had the faster boat, simple is that. Now let's see if they can pull themselves together not having a Speed Advantage and having to race with an equal tool. Stop trying to make Burling & Tuke to be some kind of GOATS and acting like they are unbeatable.

The Olympics might still be cancelled and the next AC won't be until the end of 2023/beginning of 2024 at the earliest.

41 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Apologist? Hardly.

Openly admitting it’s a cynical money grab by your kiwi hero’s 

not terribly edifying behaviour. 

30 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

From the presser

PB: ‘Baptism by Fire’ 

The Burling myth starts to crack..

I fully appreciate that if he pulls it back then it’s not because the boats are equal or any good.... just cos Pete is amazing eh clarkey ;-) 

1 minute ago, JALhazmat said:

O c’mon, can’t you see the wisdom of F’Himself’s cunning plan, whereby GD through PB bankrupts LE?? 

Hey, you gotta put food on the table somehow. At least these guys are a fully National team, unlike pretty much every other team.

I fully appreciate that if he pulls it back then it’s not because the boats are equal or any good.... just cos Pete is amazing eh clarkey ;-) 

My guess is that the NZ boat really did have some teething problems today, hopefully much of it will get sorted in the intervening day before Race Day 2. 

PB is not the kind of guy who’d point to that as his excuse even if that’s what happened. 

3 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

There are 2 helmsman in the world today that have won an Olympic Gold medal, won and defended the AC successfully. Coutts is one, and Burling is the other. Must be doing something right aye!

Just now, crashtack said:

isn't this technically race 7/8? Or does sydney last year not count?

Because the rest of Season Two was cancelled, they voided the Sydney results for this season and are starting fresh in Bermuda. 

Oracle the best tech in the world and the only way they can make the boats go faster is my confusing knots and km.  

funny now the new foils look much more like the kiwi foils did.  

for those above who think pb is only made to look good by a faster boat.  Just wait.  Look at their record in anything they cast a hand to.  A class, moth, 49, 

33 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Hey, you gotta put food on the table somehow. At least these guys are a fully National team, unlike pretty much every other team.

It’s a money grab for the dolfins. 

Grasping the my team is more national than yours? That’s what losers say... 

5 minutes ago, Qman said:

Oracle the best tech in the world and the only way they can make the boats go faster is my confusing knots and km.  

funny now the new foils look much more like the kiwi foils did.  

for those above who think pb is only made to look good by a faster boat.  Just wait.  Look at their record in anything they cast a hand to.  A class, moth, 49, 

How long do you want us to wait? Pete said before the even that ben adapting made him think they would do the same if not quicker... funny how that worked out 

34 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

There are 2 helmsman in the world today that have won an Olympic Gold medal, won and defended the AC successfully. Coutts is one, and Burling is the other. Must be doing something right aye

Yet still can’t win a race against other AC helms and some randoms in equal kit.. 

but yeah it’s the boats fault :lol:

11 minutes ago, Qman said:

Am not seeing much of any PB bashing after today. Both he and Blair openly broadcasted their low expectations for excelling in this early event.

I will contrast their performance with JS, though. Most of his team is also new to F50’s and AUS put their boat out of commission for a time this week; and yet those guys were in the hunt at times on Day 1, despite two horrendous starts - one that included copping a penalty. 

Am curious about why they didn’t include GA on the NZ team, I bet he would would have helped to get them sorted a little faster. 

14 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

How long do you want us to wait? Pete said before the even that ben adapting made him think they would do the same if not quicker... funny how that worked out 

Ben would at least have had a couple days in their boat prior to Sydney.  

58 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

I  must bookmark this post for future reference.  Do you have an address to ship the humble pie to?

2 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

I  must bookmark this post for future reference.  Do you have an address to ship the humble pie to?

Lol, if Pete wins it’s the boat that won it, that’s the excuse clarkey is peddling. 
the boat isn’t up to stuff that why pistol is losing remember, the gospel of st clarkey 

So no humble pie needed. 

9 minutes ago, Qman said:

Ben would at least have had a couple days in their boat prior to Sydney.  

Maybe the kiwis should have turned up a bit sooner then? 

I mean they got practice days like everyone else, so you think they should have had more than the others? Clearly they should based on current results 

the U.K. mob went direct from NZ  and got there in plenty of time. Nice try but nope. 
travelling from a country with no covid to another country with no restrictions that only locked down well after teams and boats were on site. 

JFC folks....some of you can’t be pleased by anything. Someone could give you 10 million dollars and you’d complain about the tax. 

I watched with 5 other sailors today. We all loved it. Great conditions, visuals, graphics, and < gasp > racing... looking forward to tomorrow. 

• Like 3

APPARENTLY...

Some Changes have been made for the 2nd Day of each Event!

Instead of a Match Race (which we had in SailGP Season 1) there will be a so-called "Podium Race Winner-Take-All" Race pitting the Top Three Teams after 5 Fleet Races together. So, no Match Race folks tomorrow! 

3 hours ago, Forourselves said:

^^ So in your dreams TNZ is taking Larry and Russell's money, you smoked a good one ?  Reality is, Dalton is now struggling to find money while SailGP is flying and kiwi sailors are struggling to keep up with the fleet. Sad reality for you Four. :D

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

the U.K. mob went direct from NZ  and got there in plenty of time. Nice try but nope

The "UK mob" didn't have the issue of coming back to NZ.  It wasn't clear what the NZ Governments conditions were regarding returning back to NZ.  They only recently made a decision on national sports teams being vaccinated ahead of the general population.

Also don't forget that a number of the NZ crew are juggling an Olympic campaign as well.  Olympic medals still count more than dollars for some.

On 4/4/2021 at 7:00 AM, terrafirma said:

With around 20 days to go this Sail GP should be interesting. The Aussie dominance that once was came to an end at the hands of Sir Ben and Team UK. Now we have Jimmy and Pete Burling. Who do we all have to win the Bermuda Event? I have no idea but will go with this:

1. Pistol Pete

2. Sir Ben

3. Slinga

4. Outteridge

5. Jimbo

and then the rest..

I know the regatta's only halfway through, but man this didn't age well...

Interesting weather forecast for Sunday. Winds S 18-24 (knots) early afternoon, veering SW with higher gusts  later.

Small craft advisory.

May see  a test of some new equipment made for that purpose.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, accnick said:

Interesting weather forecast for Sunday. Winds S 18-24 (knots) early afternoon, veering SW with higher gusts  later.

Small craft advisory.

May see  a test of some new equipment made for that purpose.

I would love to see the new equipment with extreme conditions, hoping the crew had enough time to train.

I think the wings day 1 are the heavy air wings. They looked like the short ones. They might have other foils for heavier air but dunno. Be careful out there.

2 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I guess they discovered some special trimming for the wing or settings for the foil

David Carr suggested (from live data he was watching) that AUS was trimming the flaps more than using the main sheet/traveller, than what other teams were doing. I bet GA would have been in that same groove? 

12 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

David Carr suggested (from live data he was watching) that AUS was trimming the flaps more than using the main sheet/traveller, than what other teams were doing. I bet GA would have been in that same groove? 

That could also prove to be less energy consuming,which would be good news for the boat.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

^^ So in your dreams TNZ is taking Larry and Russell's money, you smoked a good one ?  Reality is, Dalton is now struggling to find money while SailGP is flying and kiwi sailors are struggling to keep up with the fleet. Sad reality for you Four. :D

Bahaha Larry and Russell are paying for ETNZ's sailing team to stay sharp, so they can go to the Olympics and win another gold medal, and come home and successfully defend ANOTHER Americas Cup! lol Thats the reality! lol

I think there has been an AppIc Fail. Day 1 races are not available in the app. YouTube is it. 

So 70 km/hr is like 38 knots? Where is the 50 kt speed record? 

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

Bahaha Larry and Russell are paying for ETNZ's sailing team to stay sharp, so they can go to the Olympics and win another gold medal, and come home and successfully defend ANOTHER Americas Cup! lol Thats the reality! lol

You and Stingray are joined then in your admiration for LE's beneficence. Money fixes everything, how nice.

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

The last Country who defended the America's Cup 3 Times in a row were the Americans, just sayin AND with no new Boat Class for AC37 the Advantage the Kiwis have is likely going to shrink.

Burling & Tuke handled the Boat today like they were Club Sailors and not Professionals.

5 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

You and Stingray are joined then in your admiration for LE's beneficence. Money fixes everything, how nice.

LE’s beneficence is cool, we should all be grateful for this SailGP. More specifically, my hat is off to RC for producing a vision that LE is good with. 

Please don’t conflate my opinions with those of crazy FHimSelf, he’s still well beyond nuts :D 

16 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Reality is that they need to train a lot to be competitive in a one design.

20 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Reality is, one designs are irrelevant. 

If OD are irrelevant they should give back their Olympic Gold & Silver Medals of 2012 & 2016!

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

If OD are irrelevant they should give back their Olympic Gold & Silver Medals of 2012 & 2016!

Nah, they shouldn't. 

Olympic is the pinnacle of amateur sailing

Americas Cup is the pinnacle of professional in shore sailing.

The Ocean Race/ Volvo Ocean Race/ Whitbread is the pinnacle of Offshore Sailing.

SailGP is?? A pay check.

16 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Shouldn’t be hard for you. 

He’s becoming more unhinged every year, that’s close to stalking and abusive. 

8 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

What are the "speed flags" per boat showing?
83kn? That can't be knots, but what is it?

They’ve gone metric, its all in kph.  

I’m struggling with wind speeds in those units. 

3 minutes ago, mad said:

They’ve gone metric, its all in kph.  

45 kt? Not that fast for the hype

5 minutes ago, mad said:

At least they haven't gone for the SI units for wind-speed, Metres per second!

That always does my head in converting... :D

• Like 2
6 hours ago, crashtack said:

I hope you offer some constructive suggestions to SailGP directly, their email is:

contact@sailgp.com

I've sent my thoughts. Politely. :D

2 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

I hope you offer some constructive suggestions to SailGP directly, their email is:

contact@sailgp.com

I've sent my thoughts. Politely. :D

Yep, they are cool folks, have interacted with them too. 

Just now, Stingray~ said:

Yep, they are cool folks, have interacted with them too. 

I agree.  If a number of people send some well thought out suggestions - without anarchy style aggro - I'm sure their marketing people will pay attention.  SailGP is a business after all.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Liquid Assett NZ said:

Crikey guys early days, don't be too quick to write of PB and BT they haven't sailed this boat much other teams have had a heap more experience in them. Sit back they will be back sheesh 

Hmmmm

Burling and Tuke had at least 2 years intense sailing in the 50s in AC 35 in Bermuda. The boats have been tweaked but class is essentially the same.

Agree they need to get used to the tweaks but I’m suprised doing so poorly. 

17 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Lets see, the commentary stated the wind was 26 kph with gusts to 36. That's 14 knots, gusting to 19.  Squeezing 45 knots boat speed out of that isn't too foul.

Wait until the breeze picks up and they use the shorter 18m wing, I reckon the F50s will be howling!

19 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

It’s the kph, it’s just not an instant conversion into knots for me. 

33 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Nah, they shouldn't. 

Olympic is the pinnacle of amateur sailing

Americas Cup is the pinnacle of professional in shore sailing.

The Ocean Race/ Volvo Ocean Race/ Whitbread is the pinnacle of Offshore Sailing.

SailGP is?? A pay check.

I’m not so sure.    

Vs AC Sail GP offers

1. More teams and more competition

2. Best competition. SLING and Nathan are at SAIL GP and not at AC

3. It’s competition between sailors and not designers 

At the moment AC is more famous but Sail GP is a tough professional trophy to win

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Reality is, one designs are irrelevant. 

What, like the Moths?  These originated around 1930!  Look where they've gone.

Like the Moth, the F50 may be one design, but it is also a development class, so we'll see how far they can take this type of design as time goes by.

If you look at recent History @MaxHugenOD has produced the most exciting Racing. Look no further than to the Volvo in 2017/18. 2014/15 was close too.

If the AC wants to attract more Teams with these new AC75 Class Boats a lot of the components have to be OD to make it affordable for new Teams to enter.

So in general: OD isn't such a bad thing to have!