Hi All,

I recently found an 1973 Etchells 46 in a barn near London, Ontario, Canada. Please see the attached pictures taken just after the boat was pulled from the barn. Yes, the deep fin lead keel is not on the boat. The boat is sitting on it's F/G hull keel stub on the trailer to reduce the over the highway load height. Note that the bottom tip of the skeg hung rudder is touching the grass in the pasture.

The Etchells 46 was designed by Skip Etchells and built by Tillotson-Pearson Inc. It appears that only two Etchells 46's were ever built. The first one was built for Everett Pearson about 1971 for use as his personal boat. Everett Pearson named his boat FANTASIA. Everett Pearson probably sailed his boat called FANTASIA in races around Boston and possibly on Newport to Bermuda races and the SORC. The second Etchells 46 built is the one that I found in the barn.

Tillotson-Pearson Inc. might have also called the Etchells 46, a Fantasia 46 or a Tillotson-Pearson 46. 

The Etchells 46 that I found, was stored in the barn for approximately 30 years. It is complete with all of the spars and rigging. The history of the boat is unknown. I have hauled it to Bayfield, Ontario on Lake Huron. I am planning on refitting the boat and sailing it on the Great Lakes. Although the boat's hull appears to be black in the pictures, it is actually a very dark blue. This second Etchells 46 is the same as the first boat built, Everett Pearson's FANTASIA, with the following factory modifications, an IOR type bustle was incorporated at the rudder post and there is no companionway in the cockpit. In addition, entry to the boat is though a midships sliding hatch down a ladder over the midships engine box. A full suite of Barient 20, 26, 32 and 35 winches are on deck, similar to boats of the early 1970's. I am calling the boat that I found in the barn "MYSTERY" because I do not know any of her history.

To the best of my knowledge, and research at this time, Skip Etchells only designed the two 46's and Tillotson-Pearson only built the two of them in the early 1970's. FANTASIA was built first and then "MYSTERY" was built.  The boat that I have appears to be a factory built/modified version of the first built Etchells 46. There may have been additional Etchells 46's built that I am not aware of at this time.

I would be interested in learning about the history of both of these two boats.

If you sailed on, docked beside or have any knowledge of Everett Pearson's Etchells 46 named FANTASIA, please post it on the board for all to see. 

In addition, If you sailed on, docked beside or have any knowledge of the dark blue, modified Etchells 46 that I call "MYSTERY", please post it as well on the board for all to see.

Thank you!

Ric

Etchells 46 port forward view.JPG

ETCHELLS 46 side view.jpeg

Etchells_46_stern_view.JPG

• Like 5

Hi Editor,

Yes, I will keep MYSTERY. I just moved her from the barn near London to Bayfield on Lake Huron this past summer. I am planning to refit her and sail her on the Great Lakes. She will be my retirement boat!

Question; When you saw FANTASIA in San Diego.....what color was her hull?.... and about what year did you see her?

Cheers,

Ric

12 minutes ago, Russel2 said:

Hi Editor,

Yes, I will keep MYSTERY. I just moved her from the barn near London to Bayfield on Lake Huron this past summer. I am planning to refit her and sail her on the Great Lakes. She will be my retirement boat!

Question; When you saw FANTASIA in San Diego.....what color was her hull?.... and about what year did you see her?

Cheers,

Ric

medium blue, perhaps?

How are the sails?  This one is cool but will be a 20 ton of Belgian Hedrowe to Tack ! 

The interior will be great for card games for the off watch....while being served a nice Thanksgiving Dinner! One Rum per watch....unlimited beer and wine! 

Back in the day.... old school racing was for professionals.....successful businessmen and their families and friends. A pro or two amongst the mix. It's hilarious to see the 'let's pretend" corinthian only classes claiming validity. Heck, with the current environment all "Cat 3's will qualify as Cat 1's" , if they were smart and resorted to what they were qualified for prior to proclaiming themselves as a pro sailer. Oh wait , the dishwashers were out of work too! 

Ahhhhhhh ... the good old days!   

What a find.... Good Luck in her recommission.....she will be fast and lovely

In Sydney on the Northern Beaches 1987-88 there was a bloke who assisted in  Kay Cottee's Blackmore First Lady  Around the World boat prep.....He was building his version of an Etchells E22 stretched to mid 40s or it was an Etchells 46, he was building in timber strip plank with epoxy triple bias outer, inner double bias and she was beautiful to see....

image.png.5abf8d9bf9baf24b6a69244de68d5e35.png. Posted this photo of the one on the Lakes...Fantasia....? 

just to show those lines.... pity about the bustle...   but still a lovely design  

38 minutes ago, Hank Bollard said:

Are you planing to keep it on the trailer in the dry sail lot with the other Etchells? ;)

I am sure that advert was:

Etchell 1970 with trailer. 

And without pictures.

And no-one bothered as they thought that price was too steep for old one-design boat

• Like 1

It does look familiar - possibly at SDYC many years ago. Not sure of the name, but hull was a little lighter shade of blue than 'medium'.

They were sold as the EP 46. Three were built. There was Fantasia for Everett, Tantrum for Ronnie Boss who ran the AT Cross pen and pencil gift set company, he sailed out of East Greenwich YC, and Hokulele for Stan Livingston who kept her in Bristol. One of the first bid balsa-cored/vacuum bagged structures. The cabin soles were alloy honeycomb, also used in the Ford Mk IV racing program, I think. You could hold up the cabin sole with one hand. 

The only one that was really campaigned was Tantrum, she did well at first, then as they did, IOR changed their rating, the design alterations by Jerry Milgram were a disaster. 

In her original form, Tantrum absolutely flew off the wind finishing up with the 60+ footers. 

One of my current Bermuda crew was her paid hand back in the day, he doesn't do social media, but I could ask him for his recollections. His father in law was VP of TP at the time. 

• Like 5
44 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

They were sold as the EP 46. Three were built. There was Fantasia for Everett, Tantrum for Ronnie Boss who ran the AT Cross pen and pencil gift set company, he sailed out of East Greenwich YC, and Hokulele for Stan Livingston who kept her in Bristol. One of the first bid balsa-cored/vacuum bagged structures. The cabin soles were alloy honeycomb, also used in the Ford Mk IV racing program, I think. You could hold up the cabin sole with one hand. 

The only one that was really campaigned was Tantrum, she did well at first, then as they did, IOR changed their rating, the design alterations by Jerry Milgram were a disaster. 

In her original form, Tantrum absolutely flew off the wind finishing up with the 60+ footers. 

One of my current Bermuda crew was her paid hand back in the day, he doesn't do social media, but I could ask him for his recollections. His father in law was VP of TP at the time. 

The power of Sailing Anarchy.  

Congrats to the new owner.  Looking forward to the updates.  

Tantrum and her sistership both raced in NBYA (Narragansett Bay Yachting Assoc).  I know the sisteship did one Newport to Bermuda.  

I rember one Fluke-meister race when Tantrum and our family boat Mariah were nose to nose maybe 1/8 mile apart, both on dead run with spinnaker.  Everyone wondering who/ when would have the oh-shit.

Just now, MRS OCTOPUS said:

The place from where Anarchists  Get flicked.

cruisersforum

So a different site... I can’t keep up with SA let alone another site!

• Like 1

In those days, for key reinforcements, it was unknown if Carbon or boron fibers would prove best, so they used both. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Hi,

Do you think that the boat I found in the barn might be TANTRUM?

Ric

Hi All,

Wow! Great responses. I am learning a huge amount about the unidentified sail boat that I found hidden in the back of a dark barn.

Thank you to all of the members who are contributing to the history of this unique vintage sailboat. 

Could I please ask the following of those who have first hand knowledge about the EP46's? When you mention a particular boat, if you have the following information, could please include the name of the boat?, the hull color?, the location where the boat was observed?, and the year when it was seen? This information will help identify each EP46 as it changed owners, was repainted and relocated.

I will go first, because, although I included pictures of the boat that I found in the barn, I could have provided the following information as well.

My boat's original hull color was navy blue. She is now painted a very dark blue that is almost black. The deck is a very light grey. There are no identifying marks, insignia or HIN, or name on the hull or inside of the boat. There are stainless steel stern corner plates for the spinnaker sheet snatch blocks . I have not yet removed the starboard corner plate to see if the HIN is underneath it. She has a bustle or IOR crease at the rudder post. One identifying feature on deck is that there is no companionway into the boat from the cockpit. The mainsheet traveler is mounted on the rearmost edge of the cabin trunk spanning it's full width. The companionway sliding hatch and hood is mounted amidships midway between the mast and traveler. The ladder drops straight down to the midships mounted engine box. These unique features appear to have been factory built and not a later modification. And of coarse other than that she was in the barn near London for about thirty years, I know nothing about her previous history.

At this time I do not have any additional pictures of MYSTERY. She is currently under a tarp and covered with snow. I will add additional pictures in the spring once I start on her refit.

Thanks again to all for your contributions!

Cheers,

Ric

Edited by Russel2
spelling mistake
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, Russel2 said:

Hi,

Do you think that the boat I found in the barn might be TANTRUM?

Ric

Better then 1 in 3 chance. B)

When you get pics, post em or PM. I was on her a couple of times, my pal spent 2 summers running her. Like I said, he doesn't do forums, but I see him, we've sailed together for over 50 years. 

2 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Better then 1 in 3 chance. B)

When you get pics, post em or PM. I was on her a couple of times, my pal spent 2 summers running her. Like I said, he doesn't do forums, but I see him, we've sailed together for over 50 years. 

Hi,

Thank you for all the info on the EP 46 and the three boats that were built. In the spring, once I uncover MYSTERY, I will send you additional pics for your pal to view. I am just amazed at how much I have learned about the boat already. You may have noticed that I started a thread in CF as well on December 26th. There is a couple of short narratives there about the boat. I had never posted anything before, so it was a real learning experience. Before I first posted to CF, all I knew was that I had found a very unique boat in the barn that was a total unknown to me. A CF member gave me the make and model and now SA members are giving me the history. I will keep you informed.  I will also post my progress on MYSTERY's refit to SA.

Cheers,

Ric

Fantasia was at SDYC in the 80/90's. Back then she had light blue(powder blue) topsides. At that time she was owned by Jim Gleeson. I did a bit of sailing with his son Rich. Rich owned Mission Bay Sports Center back then. Mostly we sailed together with a wonderful gentleman, John Dodderidge, on his Santana & Schock 35's. We did a few races on Fantasia. I remember the gleaming hardware & how beautifully the boat went through the water. Brad Elander, a SD fire captain, all round waterman & great guy, ended up owning the boat after the Gleeson's. He kept the boat at SDYC for several years. Not sure where the boat went after Brad's time. It was definitely a head turner.

• Like 1

I believe that boat was going to be shipped up to Wiarton Marina, Ontario a few years ago, the owner wanted the keel installed and launched, heath issues interrupted

the plan, as I understand.

On 1/22/2021 at 9:12 PM, saleng14 said:

Fantasia was at SDYC in the 80/90's. Back then she had light blue(powder blue) topsides. At that time she was owned by Jim Gleeson. I did a bit of sailing with his son Rich. Rich owned Mission Bay Sports Center back then. Mostly we sailed together with a wonderful gentleman, John Dodderidge, on his Santana & Schock 35's. We did a few races on Fantasia. I remember the gleaming hardware & how beautifully the boat went through the water. Brad Elander, a SD fire captain, all round waterman & great guy, ended up owning the boat after the Gleeson's. He kept the boat at SDYC for several years. Not sure where the boat went after Brad's time. It was definitely a head turner.

The OP should be extra careful to make sure water doesn't penetrate into the hull or deck cores. Fantasia was next to us on H dock at SDYC in the early 90s. Brad had a partner, Mike McRobie and, together they did quite a bit of work bringing her back to life after some hard, post-Gleason years. One of the things they did was take her down to Ensenada, I think to Baja Naval boatyard, and have the top of the deck peeled off and new balsa core laid in. The boat had severe water log issues. Years earlier, when we were commissioning our first boat at Driscolls, we made friends with a couple of the crew that were doing some work on her there. Her bottom was unbelievably smooth and fair. It was a long time ago (1978 in fact) so I'm hazy on the details but someone told me she had so much water in her hull she leaked for ten days after some though hulls were added. It's my recollection that the culprit was a failure at TPI to fill the kerfs in her Klegecell core, which caused capillarity wicking when some water got in. I think by the time Brad and Mike bought her from a 501C3 charity the hull issues were dealt with but the decks needed major work.

She was a delight to watch out on the water, really one of two 1970s advances toward a true ULDB. (The other was a boat called Free Wheeler, owned by Dick Wheeler.) Gleason and his crew were some of the friendliest competitors in the SD IOR fleet, always with a cheery greeting, even for duffers like me, when we met out on the bay. And, yes, her hull was what I would call a light sky blue, black bottom paint.

Congratulations on a great find. Just be careful to keep the water out.

• Like 1
On 1/22/2021 at 7:34 AM, Glenn McCarthy said:

What's it rate?

man that took a while!!

On 1/22/2021 at 9:44 PM, Russel2 said:

Hi,

Thank you for all the info on the EP 46 and the three boats that were built. In the spring, once I uncover MYSTERY, I will send you additional pics for your pal to view. I am just amazed at how much I have learned about the boat already. You may have noticed that I started a thread in CF as well on December 26th. There is a couple of short narratives there about the boat. I had never posted anything before, so it was a real learning experience. Before I first posted to CF, all I knew was that I had found a very unique boat in the barn that was a total unknown to me. A CF member gave me the make and model and now SA members are giving me the history. I will keep you informed.  I will also post my progress on MYSTERY's refit to SA.

Cheers,

Ric

what sort of refit?

18 hours ago, kinardly said:

The OP should be extra careful to make sure water doesn't penetrate into the hull or deck cores. Fantasia was next to us on H dock at SDYC in the early 90s. Brad had a partner, Mike McRobie and, together they did quite a bit of work bringing her back to life after some hard, post-Gleason years. One of the things they did was take her down to Ensenada, I think to Baja Naval boatyard, and have the top of the deck peeled off and new balsa core laid in. The boat had severe water log issues. Years earlier, when we were commissioning our first boat at Driscolls, we made friends with a couple of the crew that were doing some work on her there. Her bottom was unbelievably smooth and fair. It was a long time ago (1978 in fact) so I'm hazy on the details but someone told me she had so much water in her hull she leaked for ten days after some though hulls were added. It's my recollection that the culprit was a failure at TPI to fill the kerfs in her Klegecell core, which caused capillarity wicking when some water got in. I think by the time Brad and Mike bought her from a 501C3 charity the hull issues were dealt with but the decks needed major work.

She was a delight to watch out on the water, really one of two 1970s advances toward a true ULDB. (The other was a boat called Free Wheeler, owned by Dick Wheeler.) Gleason and his crew were some of the friendliest competitors in the SD IOR fleet, always with a cheery greeting, even for duffers like me, when we met out on the bay. And, yes, her hull was what I would call a light sky blue, black bottom paint.

Congratulations on a great find. Just be careful to keep the water out.

Hi kinardly,

Thank you, for your information about FANTASIA.

You are absolutely correct about the cores. Before I purchased MYSTERY, I tapped her hull and deck. Her hull appears to be very dry, probably because she only has one thru hull for engine sea water below the water line. This thru hull penetrates the hull next to the prop shaft log where there is hopefully only solid glass. I am planning on pulling this thru hull and installing a new one in a different location closer to the engine. Therefore I will then know the hull construction at the shaft and new engine sea water intake for sure. There is no sea water feed to the head and it empties into a black water holding tank. I am guessing that, if you used the head, you had to bucket in sea water to flush it. The galley sink drains out the side of the hull about two feet above the waterline. The core in the hull appears to tap out as solid around this thru hull. The core in the deck was obviously soft because it felt like I was walking on a thick plush carpet on deck. When I peeled up the deck, I found that the upper skin was just about 5/32nds thick with 1 inch thick balsa core. The vacuum bagging certainly created one of the lightest decks I have ever seen. Unfortunately, most of  the seals on the deck penetrations had leaked and the core had failed virtually everywhere because water had wicked though the balsa core as you mentioned. All of the fastenings went thought the balsa core. I have already stripped all of the fittings off of the deck and recored the foredeck and all of the port side deck. This summer I will recore the starboard side deck and the area around the mast and repaint the deck. I am also pulling the chainplates for inspection. I am making sure that all of the locations where tracks and fittings are fitted are solid glass. Thank you for your comments and advice. 

Cheers,

Ric

• Like 2

Hey Ric. What an amazing find. My father designed the EP46 back in the early 70s. The half model in the photo below shows Fantasia's color scheme at launching. A very pretty boat. There was one boat sailing on San Francisco Bay the last few years. It was owned by Stanford U. then purchased by a private owner about a dozen years ago, then sold again a couple of years ago. Last seen at a marina in Alameda. Anyway, good luck with the project! Sounds like the boat is in good hands.

Tim Etchells
Vermont

fantasia_ep46.thumb.jpg.adc4f4433d6a954db13a5838bf4d6f05.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Tim,

Great to hear from you! Thank you for confirming that your father Skip Etchells designed the EP46. The picture of the 1/2 hull model of FANTASIA in 1972 showing her colors is identical to the profile picture of MYSTERY on her trailer. Everybody that has seen MYSTERY in Bayfield have complimented her appearance. Your father certainly designed a sweet looking sailboat. Several members here have mentioned how much they enjoyed sailing on the EP46. I am also looking forward to bringing MYSTERY back to life again and sailing her on the Great Lakes.

Cheers,

Ric

ETCHELLS 46 on trailer in pasture.jpeg

Ric,

Cool boat! My dad just brought this post to my attention, as back in the 70s he regularly crewed on an Etchells 46; Whistle Wing, owned by Hastings Harcourt (Harcourt Brace publishing). She was one of many distinguished “Whistle Wing” yachts Harcourt owned over many years. She was based in Santa Barbara and was campaigned successfully locally and in the West Coast IOR scene of the day. Dad says they won Big Boat Series once with her. He crewed on many of the Whistle Wings, and said the Etchells was his favorite. I played hookie from part of ninth grade to join him aboard her for some of a delivery home from Manzanillo, Mexico. It was after the SD to Manzanillo race in 1975, with his mates Bruce, and Mal who ran the boat for Harcourt. Great trip! According to dad, that Whistle Wing was sold and ended up in San Diego, then renamed Fantasia (back to original name?). He thinks there were 3 of them ever built. Harcourt moved on to another Whistle Wing, a Peterson fifty four? I have suggested that dad (Dave) and, or Bruce log in and post with more info, and maybe some pics for you, those guys have all the details, and probably some good stories. They are legit, old school salts those two...

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 1

Amazing! And so good refit is not located down-under so boat can remain...as intended...refering to flotsom mentioned in earlier item re Class/sail number moan...so fargin dim, and overshadowed by this wonderment. 

17 hours ago, Twofitty said:

Ric,

Cool boat! My dad just brought this post to my attention, as back in the 70s he regularly crewed on an Etchells 46; Whistle Wing, owned by Hastings Harcourt (Harcourt Brace publishing). She was one of many distinguished “Whistle Wing” yachts Harcourt owned over many years. She was based in Santa Barbara and was campaigned successfully locally and in the West Coast IOR scene of the day. Dad says they won Big Boat Series once with her. He crewed on many of the Whistle Wings, and said the Etchells was his favorite. I played hookie from part of ninth grade to join him aboard her for some of a delivery home from Manzanillo, Mexico. It was after the SD to Manzanillo race in 1975, with his mates Bruce, and Mal who ran the boat for Harcourt. Great trip! According to dad, that Whistle Wing was sold and ended up in San Diego, then renamed Fantasia (back to original name?). He thinks there were 3 of them ever built. Harcourt moved on to another Whistle Wing, a Peterson fifty four? I have suggested that dad (Dave) and, or Bruce log in and post with more info, and maybe some pics for you, those guys have all the details, and probably some good stories. They are legit, old school salts those two...

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your contribution to the history of these great boats. That is a fantastic picture of your dad and his buddies in the cockpit of WHISTLE WING. These pictures must have brought back some memories for you and your dad. Seeing the picture of everyone flying their chutes and bloopers brought back memories for me as well about when I was fore deck crew on some IOR boats in the early 70's. All stories and pictures from Dave and Bruce will always be welcomed and appreciated. Thanks again for contributing.

Cheers,

Ric

On 1/22/2021 at 11:32 PM, huey 2 said:

What a find.... Good Luck in her recommission.....she will be fast and lovely

In Sydney on the Northern Beaches 1987-88 there was a bloke who assisted in  Kay Cottee's Blackmore First Lady  Around the World boat prep.....He was building his version of an Etchells E22 stretched to mid 40s or it was an Etchells 46, he was building in timber strip plank with epoxy triple bias outer, inner double bias and she was beautiful to see....

It appears some chaps in Sydney have been stretching Etchells again recently...

• Like 2

'What , not the Ringle.'...they were being built at Rozelle on the M$-M5$$$ Tunnel build site until relocation... more a 39' daysailor with coachouse  If thats the one 's you mean..?

So, a thought lingers, always there, and not intended to hi-jack thread...When I read about these wondrous finds (barn-boats) no matter mahogany Finn or as above, i wonder, how these dodgers do it? These experiences exceed...just a thought.

No comment needed, until much later.

As this boat is refitted, I do hope we are aprised of its history. Bon chance, Mssr (s).

Re: EP 46------Just signed up and logged in for the first time.  It's Bruce, and along with Dave, we were part of the original west coast crew on Whistle Wing !V.  Fantastic to see a EP 46 pop up and jog forty five year old memories (and now that we're all in our 80's, the memories may be a bit "flexible").  Hasting Harcourt bought the boat, we think, from Ev Pearson sometime in the spring of 1975. Can't remember if the boat was truck shipped or sailed from the east coast, but she was commissioned in San Diego and brought up to Santa Barbara by folks from the North Sails loft in San Diego. My first experience with the boat was moving her from a holding slip to her  permanent slip where the owner was hosting a big dock party for her arrival. That's when I discovered to my horror that the boat had a rudder stop.  Luckily for me (and my future on the boat) the slip next to the one I was aiming for was open, and we docked next to the party instead of at the party.  But that began a fairly short, but non-stop racing activity lasting only  about a year and a half or so. During that short time, the boat sailed virtually every local Santa Barbara YC event, finished 2nd in the St Francis Big Boat Series, did the Cal Coastal (San Francisco -Newport Beach), the inaugural San Diego-Manzanillo (1/31/76), Newport-Ensenada, Long Beach Race Week, and several races out of San Diego.  Her career in the Harcourt stable was short only because Mr. Harcourt had already commissioned Doug Peterson to design a new one ton (Whistle Wing V), a 53' aluminum built by Royal Huisman in Holland.   For a short time we were campaigning two ocean racers simultaneously. I agree with my sailing mate and good friend Dave, the EP 46 was our favorite boat.  She was light, strong, and responsive.  She faked out a lot of competitors as she looked like a cruising boat and showed you her stern. And Steve is right, sailing for the Harcourt team generated about a million stories and thanks for the opportunity to revisit a few of them.  Good luck with you boat and if I can help in any way, just yell. 

Bruce Conroy........the pics----at anchor around the corner from the Las Hadas Resort, Manzanillo   Page from the Manzillo race official program

Scan 47.jpeg

Scan 33.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Bruce,

Great pictures! Thank you for your contribution to the history of the Etchells Pearson 45. Before Christmas, all I knew was that I had found a really cool looking sailboat in a barn. I did not have the faintest idea of what she was. Now I will be able to repeat your history of WHISTLE WING to all those who walk down the dock and ask me what MYSTERY is? I will add to this thread as MYSTERY now starts adding to her history after being hidden in the barn for the past thirty years. Thank you again!

Cheers,

Ric

Rus2 your history here needs telling in print. The "who, what, wheres, and whys" of Mystery; but I am bookish...if you do, en Anglais, si vous plais!

3 hours ago, BobBill said:

Rus2 your history here needs telling in print. The "who, what, wheres, and whys" of Mystery; but I am bookish...if you do, en Anglais, si vous plais!

Hi BobBill,

Well, since you asked, here is some of my back ground in sailboats. In my late teens I started out sailing when I bought my Sunfish. Once I learned to sail, I went on to owning and locally racing Sunfishes, Fireballs and Wayfarers. My first full time career was with NorthStar Yachts in Centralia, Ontario. I installed the engines, rudders, steering gear, mechanical and electrical systems on the S&S designed NorthStar 38's, 48's and 80/20's. I also test tanked and did warranty work on their boats. NorthStar launched a new demonstrator boat every summer so, for fun, I crewed on their demo boats as well. After about five years of fun with NorthStar, I went on to various other careers. I continued to crew on various owner's boats on Lake Huron and Lake Ontario. In 1979, I bought my first keel boat.....a Kirby 25!  It was basically a 25 foot Laser with a lead keel. What a fun boat it was! Over the years I have also owned a Goman 20, a C&C 27 mk5 and I still currently own a C&C 35 mk3 that I have had for many years. I was not even looking for a another boat when I found out about the boat in the barn. Being curious, I went and had a look at her hidden in the back of the barn under her dusty tarp. Although I did not know what make or model she was, I recognized that she was a very unique sailboat. I just could not resist buying her. As a hobby, I have always done all of the maintenance and upgrades on my own boats. So I am planning on doing MYSTERY's refit myself. I have several sailing buddies that help me out when ever a task on one of my boats requires having four hands. MYSTERY will be my retirement boat that I sail on the Great Lakes. I love having family and friends aboard for a sail, but I am also very comfortable single handing my boats.

Cheers,

Ric

• Like 1

Ric, MeaCulpa, was of a mind, "We all have a book in us." Was rreferring mor the the barn-find Etchells story...Am (me) older swab meself, and perhaps it was a bit selfish. Boks, expecially the first is mcuh work. 

2 hours ago, BobBill said:

Ric, MeaCulpa, was of a mind, "We all have a book in us." Was rreferring mor the the barn-find Etchells story...Am (me) older swab meself, and perhaps it was a bit selfish. Boks, expecially the first is mcuh work. 

Hi BobBill,

Yes, we all have a history. After your post, and considering how much the members here have already provided, I thought it was reasonable to give a little bit of my background. Yes, refitting MYSTERY will be quite a project. However, from when I first saw her in the barn, I knew she had good bones. I enjoy working on and maintaining boats just as much as sailing them. I enjoy the journey just as much as the destination. I will eventually create a summary of all the information about the EP46's that is provided here by the members. I will also provide updates of my journey with MYSTERY as I refit her and then begin sailing her on the Great Lakes.

Cheers,

Ric

Kirby 25 and the Goman 20.

You obviously know your rare boats that win races. I know a lurker here who will, no doubt, be very happy to see those boats listed.

On 1/22/2021 at 7:34 AM, Glenn McCarthy said:

What's it rate?

Hi Glen,
When Hasting Harcourt bought Everett Pearson's FANTASIA in 1975, he changed the name of the boat to WHISTLE WING. The attached photo's upper sailboat shows WHISTLE WING in California. Her IOR rating was 39.5.

Cheers,
Ric

1975 Southern California IOR ratings.jpeg

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Russel2 said:

Hi BobBill,

Well, since you asked, here is some of my back ground in sailboats. In my late teens I started out sailing when I bought my Sunfish. Once I learned to sail, I went on to owning and locally racing Sunfishes, Fireballs and Wayfarers. My first full time career was with NorthStar Yachts in Centralia, Ontario. I installed the engines, rudders, steering gear, mechanical and electrical systems on the S&S designed NorthStar 38's, 48's and 80/20's. I also test tanked and did warranty work on their boats. NorthStar launched a new demonstrator boat every summer so, for fun, I crewed on their demo boats as well. After about five years of fun with NorthStar, I went on to various other careers. I continued to crew on various owner's boats on Lake Huron and Lake Ontario. In 1979, I bought my first keel boat.....a Kirby 25!  It was basically a 25 foot Laser with a lead keel. What a fun boat it was! Over the years I have also owned a Goman 20, a C&C 27 mk5 and I still currently own a C&C 35 mk3 that I have had for many years. I was not even looking for a another boat when I found out about the boat in the barn. Being curious, I went and had a look at her hidden in the back of the barn under her dusty tarp. Although I did not know what make or model she was, I recognized that she was a very unique sailboat. I just could not resist buying her. As a hobby, I have always done all of the maintenance and upgrades on my own boats. So I am planning on doing MYSTERY's refit myself. I have several sailing buddies that help me out when ever a task on one of my boats requires having four hands. MYSTERY will be my retirement boat that I sail on the Great Lakes. I love having family and friends aboard for a sail, but I am also very comfortable single handing my boats.

Cheers,

Ric

It’d be fun (for us) if you thought about sharing your refit here.

1 hour ago, Elegua said:

It’d be fun (for us) if you thought about sharing your refit here.

Hi Elegua,

Yes, I am planning on sharing MYSTERY's refit pictures with members of the forum as a thank you for their contributions to the history of the TPI built EP 46's. Currently MYSTERY is sitting on her trailer in Bayfield covered with a tarp which is in turn covered with about three feet of snow. When I start working on her in the spring, I will post before and after photos of various aspects of the refit as it progresses. I will not be posting any pics or videos about grinding fiberglass. There are many examples about grinding f/g on YouTube.  LOL. 

In addition, I am sure there is additional information out there that members will continue to contribute to fill in the story about the EP 46's. Periodically I will post a summary of the member's contributions.

Cheers,

Ric 

• Like 1

Hi All,

This photo of WHISTLE WING (ex FANTASIA) at anchor around the corner from the Las Hadas Resort, Manzanillo in Mexico, shows that she has a single spreader mast. Please see the attached photo below of WHISTLE WING. Assuming that the mast was never replaced, then when she was originally built as FANTASIA, she was rigged with the same single spreader mast. When TANTRUM and HOKULELE were built at TPI, were they originally equipped with single spreader rigs as well? Were all three EP 46's rigged identically with single spreader masts?

I am asking the question above because MYSTERY has a tapered double spreader aluminum mast built by HOOD. There is a small 1“ x 2” blue and white oval HOOD label plate riveted to the front of the mast about gooseneck height. The mast has a typical 1970's elliptical section with an external mainsail and trysail track and of course the spinnaker pole track, reaching strut fittings and Barient winches. The standing rig is NAVTEC rod rigging. The NAVTEC rod is unusual because it is all streamline or elliptical in cross section and positioned to be aligned fore and aft. In addition, the boom was manufactured by a different company. The boom was built by Bay Sailing Equipment, Fall River, Massachusetts. Please see the attached photo below of the label that was affixed to the boom. The boom might be a replacement for the original, because Bay Sailing Equipment was first opened in 1976 by Frank and Adeline (wife) Colaneri in 1976 in Fall River, Massachusetts. Frank made all of the spars and rigging for the Tartan 10 class racing boats which were first built in 1978. They probably did spars for a lot of other local boat builders as well. However Bay Sailing Equipment did not exist at that time TPI was building the EP 46's, So I think the boom is a probably a replacement boom built at a later date for MYSTERY. In addition, is the tapered double spreader HOOD mast a replacement mast as well?

The history of MYSTERY is still a mystery!

Cheers,

Ric 

WHISTLE WING in 1975 in Mexico ex FANTASIA.jpeg

IMG_0005.jpg

Edited by Russel2
spelling mistake
  • Like 1

No hijack intended. but given above and current recycle emphasis, why cannot the "refit" be centered on used parts, etc? No comment needed, just a sustaining thought. 

40 minutes ago, BobBill said:

No hijack intended. but given above and current recycle emphasis, why cannot the "refit" be centered on used parts, etc? No comment needed, just a sustaining thought. 

Hi BobBill,

Your suggestion with regards to the refit being centered on used parts is well received!

One might say that I am planning on recycling or repurposing in whole my old barn find IOR racer as a unique Great Lakes cruising sailboat!

I have purchased many used/recycled sailboat parts locally and from the internet to be installed on MYSTERY during her refit.

Because I am doing the refit myself, I can take the luxury of my "free" time to source most of the parts required for this project and not have to buy them off the shelf or order them.

Cheers,

Ric

Sounds like that boat is a real time capsule as it relates to the heyday of IOR racing and the innovation occurring on these boats.  That mast sounds awesome.  Good luck getting a tapered aluminum stick of that size these days!  

R2 I dig. For me the fun was the custom work needed so old works, (like making ferrules to join repaired carbon spars, etc. In some cases, new was alll that would really work.Fortunately, for me, local metal shop dodger did exc work and a wise man to boot.

You just have to bend with the wind and go with the flow, so to speak...you will have much fun, with that rig.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I have "done" some 6 rigs but never had to do rigger work...was a lesson on how valuable their talents are...and special tools to a lesser extent..as was decent fabricator using ancient methods.

Very good!...put jug of good grog in some safe place for a later celebration. It will motivate at low mind-times... 

On 1/27/2021 at 3:46 PM, bruce conroy said:

Mr. Harcourt had already commissioned Doug Peterson to design a new one ton (Whistle Wing V), a 53' aluminum built by Royal Huisman in Holland.  

I raced against both WW-IV and WW-V throughout southern california.  Great boats.

Minor nit: WW-V (at 53') was much bigger than a one-tonner. The typical one-tonner of the day was around 37'

On 1/30/2021 at 2:59 AM, Russel2 said:

IMG_0005.jpg

Now that might be a breadcrumb on the trail to solve the mystery of Mystery?!

It has been a long time, but most builders keep records of their work. If this mast is a replacement, it must have been a custom order. Most builders I know used to do extensive documentation on custom builds, if only to be able to supply replacement parts when needed. Maybe that documentation holds some details about the ship, too?

On 1/24/2021 at 9:51 AM, Ed.M said:

I believe that boat was going to be shipped up to Wiarton Marina, Ontario a few years ago, the owner wanted the keel installed and launched, heath issues interrupted

the plan, as I understand.

Hi Ed.M

Yes, the the previous owner was planning to launch the boat a few years ago, but his health issues stopped him from going through with his plans. The previous owner is now a friend of mine. He just wishes to see his vintage sailboat back in the water again. I have asked him to come sailing with me on MYSTERY and he promises that he will. We will look you up when we sail into Wiarton together!

Cheers,

Ric

On 1/28/2021 at 6:10 PM, Jeff F said:

I went through that boat a couple of years ago when it was gathering dust in the barn and was curious about the background on it.  

Good luck with the refit!

Hi Jeff F,

Yes, she was well hidden in the back of the dark barn under the tarp that went almost all the way to the floor.

The generous members here are providing a background and history of the EP 46 and of course the boat that I call MYSTERY. Eventually I hope to learn if the sailboat that I found in the barn is TANTRUM or HOKULELE. There is no trace of MYSTERY ever having been painted a light blue. Therefore at this point I believe that FANTASIA is either still in California or maybe she did eventually get trucked to Chicago on Lake Michigan.

I stay in touch with the previous owner and he has been to Bayfield to "check" on his vintage sailboat. He is a friend now and promises to come sailing with me on MYSTERY. He is looking forward to going sailing on MYSTERY as much as I am!  If you are ever in Bayfield, drop by MYSTERY and we will talk sailboats. I will be working on her refit during the 2021 sailing season. Here is a picture of ROSS parking her in Bayfield.

Cheers,

Ric 

Ross' in Bayfield.JPG

• Like 1

Ric ----Don"t know if your boat has an IOR "bustle" added to the stern quarter like did our Whistle Wing, but it may be something to check out.  Our "bustle" appeared to be foam bonded to the original hull form on both port and stbd aft quarters to produce a bulge of approx 4" max thickness for IOR measurement purposes.  The foam was glassed  and faired into the hull form creating a seamless "bustle".  The problem with the bustle appeared when we hauled the boat prior to the "76 Manzanillo race.  As the boat hung in the  lift straps, we noticed water seeping through the fiberglass at the base of the bustle.  And it didn't stop !!  We ended up drilling a multitude of drain holes into the "bustle" area and were astounded as the darn bustle just kept urinating.  It finally stopped draining, and because we were under a race date deadline didn't have time to properly strip and repair the bustle.  I  think we just plugged the drain holes and tried our best to recoat the bustle area to cut down future seepage into the foam.  The only other problem areas I can remember with the boat was the Walter V-drive failing and snapping the boom in half getting caught in 60+ knots of wind off Pt. Sur on a delivery to San Francisco, and about half of that failure was me and the crew!!!  Basically a great boat.

On 2/1/2021 at 6:19 PM, bruce conroy said:

Ric ----Don"t know if your boat has an IOR "bustle" added to the stern quarter like did our Whistle Wing, but it may be something to check out.  Our "bustle" appeared to be foam bonded to the original hull form on both port and stbd aft quarters to produce a bulge of approx 4" max thickness for IOR measurement purposes.  The foam was glassed  and faired into the hull form creating a seamless "bustle".  The problem with the bustle appeared when we hauled the boat prior to the "76 Manzanillo race.  As the boat hung in the  lift straps, we noticed water seeping through the fiberglass at the base of the bustle.  And it didn't stop !!  We ended up drilling a multitude of drain holes into the "bustle" area and were astounded as the darn bustle just kept urinating.  It finally stopped draining, and because we were under a race date deadline didn't have time to properly strip and repair the bustle.  I  think we just plugged the drain holes and tried our best to recoat the bustle area to cut down future seepage into the foam.  The only other problem areas I can remember with the boat was the Walter V-drive failing and snapping the boom in half getting caught in 60+ knots of wind off Pt. Sur on a delivery to San Francisco, and about half of that failure was me and the crew!!!  Basically a great boat.

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for the details about the bustle on the stern of WHISTLE WING. Interesting that it was foam cladding added to the outside skin of the hull and then covered over with a new F/G outer skin. MYSTERY has a bustle as well. I have attached a picture of her side view that shows her profile and a picture of her stern that shows the bustle and almost horizontal counter. I am planning on filling in the run aft from the bustle to the edge of the transom to give her a nice fair run aft. I will be using F/G covered foam as well. Before I fair the stern run, I will drill some test holes into the bustle on both sides to double check that it is dry and still has structural integrity. Thanks for the heads up on the construction of the EP 46's bustle!

MYSTERY has her diesel engine in an engine box in the middle of the boat under the midships companionway with a straight shaft and therefore of course, no V-drive. Once the engine box is slid off, there is excellent access to the Perkins M60, Hurth transmission and stuffing box.

Cheers,

Ric

MYSTERY_bustle.JPG

• Like 1

Ric--------Thats how we guessed the bustle was constructed because the water never penetrated into the interior of the boat.  We guessed the water was stopped by the original hull shape and trapped between that original hull and the much thinner laminate of the "new" outer hull shape.  Thanks for the photo, as I had forgotten just  how radical was that add-on.  Any pics of the interior?  I've located a few more pics taken aboard during the Manzanillo race mainly showing the crew doing mundane things like taking outdoor showers and sitting around.  I'll post them if you're interested.

And please re-shape the top of the ruder to fit the new sections. I can't believe they changed the transom that much & left that gaping hole above the blade - that goes against sooo many rules. I'm not impressed by the "elliptical" skeg either.

6 hours ago, longy said:

And please re-shape the top of the ruder to fit the new sections. I can't believe they changed the transom that much & left that gaping hole above the blade - that goes against sooo many rules. I'm not impressed by the "elliptical" skeg either.

Hi Longy,

Yes, you are absolutely right about the top of the rudder. I do not know why it was left that way. MYSTERY probably experienced rudder aeration when going to weather at hull speed. That is never a good thing on a sailboat. It almost looks like the work on the stern was never finished on and around the rudder. Was somebody in a big rush to get the boat back in the water for a race at one time and this job was never completed?  I will rebuild the top of the rudder to match the newly faired counter. That should improve the flow of water off of the stern and result in improved steering at hull speed. Thanks for your suggestion!

Cheers,

Ric

MYSTERY_bustle.JPG

• Like 1
20 hours ago, bruce conroy said:

Ric--------Thats how we guessed the bustle was constructed because the water never penetrated into the interior of the boat.  We guessed the water was stopped by the original hull shape and trapped between that original hull and the much thinner laminate of the "new" outer hull shape.  Thanks for the photo, as I had forgotten just  how radical was that add-on.  Any pics of the interior?  I've located a few more pics taken aboard during the Manzanillo race mainly showing the crew doing mundane things like taking outdoor showers and sitting around.  I'll post them if you're interested.

Hi Bruce,

Any and all pictures of WHISTLE WING are always welcome with thanks.

Actually, all pictures of FANTASIA, TANTRUM and HOKULELE are always welcome as well! Pictures will help fill in the history of the EP 46.

At this time I do not have any interior pictures of MYSTERY. Up to now I have been focused on getting her out of the barn to Bayfield and recoring the deck. MYSTERY is currently covered with her winter tarp, which in turn is covered with about three feet of snow. I will not be able to take any deck or interior pictures until after the spring thaw and I start working on her again.

However here is a verbal description of MYSTERY's interior. One of the unique identifying features of MYSTERY, that greatly influences the interior, is that there is no companionway into the boat from the cockpit. The interior is built around the midships companionway. The mainsheet traveler is mounted on the rearmost edge of the cabin trunk spanning it's full width. The companionway sliding hatch and sea hood is mounted amidships midway between the mast and traveler. The companionway ladder drops straight down to the midships mounted engine box. This unique feature appears to have been factory built and not a later modification. Because the engine is further forward, the engine, transmission, and shaft are all inline. There is no V-drive set up on MYSTERY. Forward in her is an 8 foot long cabin which has four single berths, two stacked on each side. This forward cabin is wide open to the main cabin. The main bulkhead between the forward cabin and the main cabin has a four foot wide passage way through it with no doors. The main cabin has a seat/berth on each side of the keel stepped mast. There is a centerline drop leaf table that the mast passes thru. Next is the central engine box with a walk thru passage going aft on each side of the engine box. A long galley is outboard of the passage way on the port side. The forward facing chart table/navigation center and afterwards the head are outboard of the starboard passageway. Both passageways on port and starboard of the the engine box open into an aft cabin with a double berth under the cockpit. There is standing headroom at the front of the aft cabin berth, directly aft of the engine box.  MYSTERY's cockpit appears to be about three feet shorter than FANTASIA's. The area on FANTASIA where the cockpit bridge deck would have been is an extended part of the cabin trunk on MYSTERY that gives headroom in the aft cabin underneath. Although the boat is narrow, with a beam of 12' 9", the interior is basically open concept from bow to stern with a passage way on each side past the engine box /companionway ladder. This makes her more secure for crew when they are moving about below during rough sea conditions. I have two loose pipe berths that were probably mounted as adjustable pilot berths in the main cabin at one time. The pilot berth areas on both sides of the main cabin are now filled in with lockers. I suspect that MYSTERY's interior is quite a bit different from the two other EP 46's that were built.

Cheers,

Ric

• Like 1
On 1/24/2021 at 9:33 PM, paulrtullos said:

what sort of refit?

Hi Paul,

The major items on the refit are as follows,

1) Replace the core in the deck and paint the deck. I have already recored the foredeck and port side deck. I still have to recore the starboard side deck and the cabin top in front of the mast collar.

2) Drop the rudder and fair the stern counter from the bustle aft to the edge of the stern. I might have to remove the bustle first.

3) Install an exhaust system for the Perkins M60.

4) The boat has no wiring in it. A complete new electrical system will need to be installed.

5) A replacement keel will have to be selected, cast and installed.

6) Install the bow thruster drive and motor.

A quick note about the trailer that MYSTERY is sitting on. I had to do somewhat of a refit on it before MYSTERY could leave the farm.

The following is for everyone who noticed that in some of the pictures the MYSTERY's trailer is a very rusted white in these pics. These were the first pics I took of MYSTERY on her trailer in order to to submit them for quotes from boat haulers. A senior gentleman with a long history in the trucking industry believes that the 1946 trailer under MYSTERY was originally used to haul plywood 50 foot coastal patrol boats from "the factory" to the coasts of the US during WW2. The coastal patrol boats were similar to PT boats, but only about one half of their size. There is a U trough running full length along the center line of the trailer that would have accommodated the keel of a wooden patrol boat. In the deck of the trailer, right behind the gooseneck, there is a one foot deep sunken well that will hold a standard skid. The senior gentleman thought that the patrol boats were shipped with their props and rudders strapped to a skid that was loaded into the well. The props and rudders would have dragged on the road if they were installed on the patrol boat. When positioned on the trailer a 50 foot patrol boat's engine's would have been over top of the trailer's axles and the stern would have stuck out about 8 feet beyond the rear of the trailer. The trailer is dated 1946 because it was probably sold off as surplus after the war.

No company would tow the trailer as it was. So I had to do a refit on the trailer before I could move MYSTERY to Bayfield. In the end, I had to replace the old 5 X 8 “Budd” stud centered split ring wheels and 8.25 x 20 bias tires with new, custom made 295/75 R22.5 tubeless wheels and tires. Replaced a couple of spring shackle U-bolts as well. Of course, the old fenders no longer fit the new wheels and tires so I had to burn them off and build new ones. I gave the trailer a coat of rusty red colored paint to give it some curb appeal and hide the rust from the local constabulary. Also loaded the mast up on deck for transport and relocated the boom and spinnaker poles forward next to the keel stub. I then had ROSS Heavy Duty Towing tow the rig to Bayfield. Everyone liked the comment the heavy tow truck operator made as he hooked up to the old trailer. " As long as all the emergency lights are flashing on his truck....he can drag anything down the road". MYSTERY's trip to Bayfield was smooth with no issues.

Cheers,

Ric

MYSTERY parked in pasture.jpg

• Like 2

Ric ----Well, you asked for it !!  A bunch of fairly inane old pics from the "76 Manzanillo race.  On the positive side, you can occasionally pick out a few relevant boat rigging details buried in the background. #1, Mal Toye, overall Harcourt "fleet admiral" (at one point we had 5 boats to manage), return delivery from Manzanillo.  No, its not a mascot, its the deck mop !IMG_1701.thumb.jpeg.857a73517f9241a3c37de0b26c425049.jpeg

#2  Dave Wyman on the same deliveryIMG_1702.thumb.jpeg.ca09a7a96c891f41ba4a9b41f35e192a.jpeg

#3  yours truly, Bruce Conroy, same delivery, but different weather !372732034_Scan85.thumb.jpeg.a843bfce2a7a95e9554fcbdf46083b6d.jpeg

#4 light air spinnaker reaching with reaching strut in place.2067800468_IMG_16972.thumb.jpeg.4eb925976c85e3b4647328d06b7b5741.jpeg

#5 Cleanliness is next to ...............IMG_1699.thumb.jpeg.4d83372d41e8c45990248ab0fa4cce8f.jpeg

#6  jury-rigging an autopilot repair from spear gun parts on the return delivery from Manzanillo.  All unnecessary gear (autopilot, delivery props, etc was stripped off boat and flown down to  race destination for re-installation on the deliveries) IMG_1683.thumb.jpeg.2a6616a98795e1b6d2c44516269e36b9.jpeg

#7  Wondering where the hell the wind went !!

IMG_1685.jpeg

• Like 2