AndyMan and NateDog have one more sail on our new to us G Cat 21, SuperFreak.

Huge thanks to Masthead Sailing Gear and Sunrise Yacht Products for custom fore and aft tramps.

Picked up a sweet 21sqm Hobie Tiger kite from Andy at the Tackle Shack, and the Freaks sprit is a slightly shortened Laser Radial mast.

Super Cat rudder castings and extended blades replaced the dodgy originals.

Keels ground down and replaced with fiberglass dowels.

Etc, etc....

Our goal is two days, fingers crossed. 

AndyMan 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, justanothersailor said:

I'm joining Stumbling Thunder on a Doveke 21. I sold the Windrider last year, it is being sailed in the Ec by the 2 Dave's.

The Dovekie seems like a very civilized ride for this kind of event. I've sailed one but never rowed one. Have you guys done anything to soup it up?

FB- Doug

I aborted my plan to fly my drone around Stump Pass last year because it was too darn cold. Maybe this year. One way or another, from somewhere I'll be watching.

Speck Tater

• Like 1
On 1/29/2021 at 9:55 PM, Pedagogical Tom said:

I aborted my plan to fly my drone around Stump Pass last year because it was too darn cold. Maybe this year. One way or another, from somewhere I'll be watching.

Speck Tater

Looking forward to seeing you out there this year!

Someone else will have to do the play by play calling this time, as I will be one of Tribe on the move...

- Stumbling 

7 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

Looking forward to seeing you out there this year!

Someone else will have to do the play by play calling this time, as I will be one of Tribe on the move...

- Stumbling 

Keep an eye out for a 20 foot yellow Bimini top on a 'toon boat near Stump. If you hear what sounds like an angry swarm of bees approaching your boat, don't worry, that's just Tater Force One.

• Like 2
On 1/29/2021 at 8:06 AM, Steam Flyer said:

The Dovekie seems like a very civilized ride for this kind of event. I've sailed one but never rowed one. Have you guys done anything to soup it up?

FB- Doug

I'm just the crew, I have not yet met the boat or the skipper. It will all be new to me at the start.

• 2 weeks later...

The owner prior to the Kiwis (Halfbaked) had a custom “Fattish” head main with a little extra roach made by his crew, Clacker (Bremen Sails.)  In addition, there is a screecher that fits the foretriangle, for a little more off the wind horsepower and to give a little balance to the low aspect main.

I took her out for the first time last week with my son, Gomong the Barbarian.   We will be out next weekend to test the screecher and do some rig tuning.   I’ll post some pictures once I get them off the camera. 

Stumbling   

• Like 1
On 2/14/2021 at 12:37 PM, shavdog said:

Does the race start march 6?

Race starts on Saturday, March 6, 7am.

Friday, March 5th is the setup and inspection day.   All the boats will be on the beach getting prepared to race.

Stumbling

7 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:
On 2/14/2021 at 12:37 PM, shavdog said:

Does the race start march 6?

Race starts on Saturday, March 6, 7am.

And the general answer to shavdog's question:

It's always the first Saturday in March, which also always seems to coincide more or less with the arrival of the last real cold front of the season. I'm hoping that's "less" this year. Last year I aborted my planned Speck Tater mission because it was too cold and windy. I did manage to tag along with another devoted Speck Tater to catch up with a few of the boats near Everglades City, including this one:

SouthernCross.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking the year off racing. Instead, my wife Sunseeker and I are the Checkpoint 1 captains at Cape Haze Marina as well as working on set up a registration day on Friday. A little smaller event this year due to Covid, but the weather is looking nice and we're ready for spring. It all went to shit during the EC last year and we're hoping this year's event will serve as a milestone for turning the corner. 

• Like 1

Hmmm... That blue hump on Saturday grew.

2021ECWx.jpg

And Sunday doesn't look all that great for running N up the length of Charlotte Harbor to get back home.

My backup plan at the moment is to launch one of my aluminum skiffs at Ainger Creek ramp and just play around in the area for the day on Saturday. No way I'm bringing the drone on one of those boats, though.

As long as there is not an SCA at 7am Saturday, we are golden. Latest model runs look more promising with the front not bringing the storms and possible SCA conditions until Sat afternoon or evening. Euro and GFS both say SE 10 knots in the morning. I'd be ok with that. 

USCG won't permit the race to start in SCA conditions because it crosses the Tampa ship channel and they don't want folks capsized where they might get run over by bulker. That 550 foot wide strip of water is a problem. 

1 hour ago, sail10338 said:

No likely, I know too early. 

AndyMan 

Screenshot_20210302-050001_WINDY.jpg

It changes by the hour now.    Windy is also predicting a vacuum in the Tampa Bay shortly after the start until early afternoon.

we’ll know when we start what the weather cards have been dealt!

Stumbling

Just checking the Sailflow Sailfantasy.

For the Skyway:

SailflowSkywayEC2021.jpg

And one for MrMoon from Grove City, near CP1:

SailflowGroveCityEC2021.jpg

The one for Charlotte Harbor is almost identical to Grove City.

There's no way we're going to see even one 32 knot gust on Sunday on Lemon Bay or Charlotte Harbor. 20 knots on Charlotte Harbor on Sunday is forecast by other sources that are a bit more reliable, making it increasingly likely that I won't want to drive a pontoon boat all the way up the harbor. If it's windy enough on Saturday I might bring an Adventure Island to play around Stump Pass instead of an aluminum boat.

I took a trip out to Stump Pass today because the weather was nice and I was curious. The forecast for tomorrow afternoon doesn't look too promising to me, as I'm a fair weather Speck Tater. I might take a boat over there again tomorrow but at this point am guessing I won't.

Anyway, I posted a few drone pics on my site so you can see the current locations of sand bars and shallows.

https://www.tropicalboating.com/2021/03/stump-pass-march-5-2021

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Pictures of the boats on the beach?

MisterMoon put a nice beach walk video on the Watertribe FB group. Lots of others have posted beach pics there as well.

Some participants are launching at and even beyond CP 1, including SA's own zerothehero. So I already missed them. I am still at home watching radar images.

In other news, Sew Sew's tracker hasn't mysteriously failed. Yet.

25 minutes ago, hannibalhouse said:

Could someone post the Watertribe Facebook page?  I must be the only non-FB user.  

Other links to pictures, video, info?

http://www.watertribe.com/Events/ChallengeGMapper.aspx

Takes a little getting used to.  This is the tracker.  Sorry, don't have the FB page.   Go to my link and hit discussion.  Someone is crossposting pics to FB and this site.  

54 minutes ago, hannibalhouse said:

Could someone post the Watertribe Facebook page?  I must be the only non-FB user.  

Other links to pictures, video, info?

It's a private group, whatever that means. I think Facebook privacy is oxymoronic. Not sure how much content is available to those who don't join, but:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/440773022707818

I think you can look at the Watertribe forum if you're not a member.

http://watertribe.org/forums/

The FB site is used for the race and if as has happened trolls take up time/space that is needed for following the Safety of contestants especially on the offshore/coastal leg.....always amazed at this race.  from kayaks and surfski canoes to cruising row/sailing boats to Randys Scissors.... a real cross section of people and craft...epic

Tracker reported Randy Smyth sending it at 18+kts on the last update.  If the forecast holds, he's in around noon tomorrow (if he doesn't blow the boat up).  For anyone else, that would be impressive, for him, it's expected.  

• Like 2

It was nice to hear the commentary posted and realize he's on a Nacra 20 this year.  I was in the 2002 Chi-Mac, I was on a NM68, Randy was on an F31 R or 1D.  We got hit by a major league storm about 20nm from the finish, for Randy, it was probably 30nm.  We torqued our mast so much at the base that the aluminum ripped at the hole for the hydraulics for the vang.  Think high school and aluminum beer can, remember when you would fold a can back and forth until you could rip it in half.  Our mast was half ripped.  We get to dock and go up and drink and I notice Randy's boat has arrived on my walk back and he's not there, but his crew is.  I ask them what they thought of the storm (gusts of 90 were recorded in the area), this poor kid was white-faced and just shook his head.  If winning was everything, first choice.  If getting there in one piece, last choice.  

He has to be setting a record for the ages and I wish him well.  

12 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

It was nice to hear the commentary posted and realize he's on a Nacra 20 this year.  I was in the 2002 Chi-Mac, I was on a NM68, Randy was on an F31 R or 1D.  We got hit by a major league storm about 20nm from the finish, for Randy, it was probably 30nm.  We torqued our mast so much at the base that the aluminum ripped at the hole for the hydraulics for the vang.  Think high school and aluminum beer can, remember when you would fold a can back and forth until you could rip it in half.  Our mast was half ripped.  We get to dock and go up and drink and I notice Randy's boat has arrived on my walk back and he's not there, but his crew is.  I ask them what they thought of the storm (gusts of 90 were recorded in the area), this poor kid was white-faced and just shook his head.  If winning was everything, first choice.  If getting there in one piece, last choice.  

He has to be setting a record for the ages and I wish him well.  

The stick on the NM68 was quite a sight.  How it ever remained standing after looking at the base is beyond me.  Also impressive sight was the stump left on Sassy, would have hated to be on deck when that gravity storm hit.  Was a cool finish though, 10 70 ft surfboards screaming in from the Mac bridge to the finish line.  On the SC70 with only main and number three first big puff brought just north of 21kts boats speed. A minute or two later with three on deck and just main next puff brought 24kts boat speed.  Fortunately no damage aboard but certainly a memorable ride for the ages.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Pedagogical Tom said:

Some participants are launching at and even beyond CP 1, including SA's own zerothehero. So I already missed them. I am still at home watching radar images.

In other news, Sew Sew's tracker hasn't mysteriously failed. Yet.

He now has his game on.  Awesome year.

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

He now has his game on.  Awesome year.

Game on, tracker off.

I saw on FB that Conchistador blew past CP1 then returned for soup then headed to Dog Island to decide what to do next. I'd suggest crossing Charlotte Harbor asap. It's only going to get uglier today.

Here he is crossing the harbor in 2019's EC. It won't look anything like this today.

ConchistadorSUP2019EC.jpg

On 3/2/2021 at 7:04 AM, Pedagogical Tom said:

There's no way we're going to see even one 32 knot gust on Sunday

Good morning to MicroTom, who reports just now on FB seeing sustained 20 and gusts to 30 at Redfish Pass (Pine Island Sound.) Oops.

At CP1, the wind was strong around midnight. It laid down quite a bit over night but is building again. It's cold. 

Hat tip to my wonderful bride who handled all the early morning arrivals while I napped. 

• Like 5

GO THE SPAWN!

• Like 1

I don't have his tracker specifically but the WT site has everybody. Except, that is, when they don't.

In any case, I can tell you where he is. He's on the beach in Key Largo as of 10:30 eastern. Finish time 27-1/2 hours.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Porter42 said:

I don't have his tracker specifically but the WT site has everybody. Except, that is, when they don't.

In any case, I can tell you where he is. He's on the beach in Key Largo as of 10:30 eastern. Finish time 27-1/2 hours.

That's awesome!! 11mph average.

guessing Spawn is in?

the owl tracker looks that way. 

edit... didn't zoom in enough!

May be an image of map and text that says 'Key Largo KEYS RIDA Key Largo 3513 Tavernier Hialeah Homestead Everglades National Park'

This is the most Watertribe photo ever. 

Gremlin returning to her super trick Tornado across the Chokoloskee mud after signing in to the second checkpoint last night. 

gremlin and gamera are on track to be the third finisher later tonight.  

photo by Bill Wright  

6DC3E8FD-9D12-480C-A911-F60023BD8287.jpeg

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, DaveK said:

That's insane!!

That’s why you plan your checking at Chokoloskee right at the beginning of the ebb. There’s a nice sandy beach to land on. You touch the shore, sign the logbook, toss any trash, fill your water and take right back off again. Otherwise there’s a tax to be paid to the mud man. 

Here’s Gremlin in a happier moment the previous day. And also with Gamera who might be in trouble for letting her draw the short straw to go sign the logbook while he luxuriated back on the boat. 

D06EAEAE-4F92-4D06-95F9-B006FD7CE538.jpeg

39F8A4D7-49EB-40A6-8879-A12FA1571D14.jpeg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

That’s why you plan your checking at Chokoloskee right at the beginning of the ebb. There’s a nice sandy beach to land on. You touch the shore, sign the logbook, toss any trash, fill your water and take right back off again. Otherwise there’s a tax to be paid to the mud man. 

Here’s Gremlin in a happier moment the previous day. And also with Gamera who might be in trouble for letting her draw the short straw to go sign the logbook while he luxuriated back on the boat. 

I've sailed with Gamera, have you?  I guarantee he did not push her off the boat.  He's one of the few with the skills to pluck me back on board if I went MOB.  I'll go $20 she insisted on delivering the check-in, maybe being less comfortable keeping the boat in place.  Don't post shit you know nothing about.

You're better than that.

8 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I've sailed with Gamera, have you?  I guarantee he did not push her off the boat.  He's one of the few with the skills to pluck me back on board if I went MOB.  I'll go $20 she insisted on delivering the check-in, maybe being less comfortable keeping the boat in place.  Don't post shit you know nothing about.

You're better than that.

Ffs, was just trying to inject a bit of humor. Lighten up. 

• Like 9
2 hours ago, hannibalhouse said:

Reads like it was just a couple of people sailing from Tampa to Key Largo to camp with friends, completely unrelated to Watertribe or the EC.

(or maybe Tribers who know what not to say...)

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Pedagogical Tom said:

Reads like it was just a couple of people sailing from Tampa to Key Largo to camp with friends, completely unrelated to Watertribe or the EC.

(or maybe Tribers who know what not to say...)

It seems like quite a coincidence. Whoever it is, I'm glad they're okay.

1 hour ago, MisterMoon said:

Ffs, was just trying to inject a bit of humor. Lighten up. 

Fwiw I’ve been there. Some has to go in and whoever stays owes a karmic debt to the person who drew the proverbial short straw. Good natured grousing and laughter usually ensues. 

10 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

You're better than that.

Wow.

Cal20, you are reading in to Mr Moon's post something I did not see in it.

• Like 3

It looks like it might DawnPatrol. The other big CS20 is at Choko right now. 

And the CS 17 is further down. 

If it is, they are smart: never answer questions you were not asked!

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, CatFive said:

Race Owl shows one Double Male CS 20 crewed by WhiteBeard and NoWhiteBeard. Last OK was almost 24 hours ago (correction 36 hours) well north of Gordons Pass. Is Dawn Patrol their boat?

Dawn Patrol was owned by Sandy Bottom and Dances with Sandy Bottom. Not sure if they might have sold it?

One of my favorite EC boats, very similar to an Everglades Challenge 22, which was designed as a course-beater for this race.

Glad the people are OK. Hope they get the boat back.

Dawn Patrol on the beach in 2013:

core-sound-20-lugger.jpg

Yes and yes. DownPatrol had changed owners and had been repainted in two shades of blue. Since it is mk2, the very first cabin version, it’s has somewhat less buoyancy preventing it from flooding while knocked down to a side.  MK3 has beefed up defense against inversion, it will float on a side.  
Regardless the boat has very proven watertribe record with quite a few wins in its class. 

Whatever the boat in the news clip is, it looks like a crew should be able to right it. But if they're cold, wet, tired, or anything else is going wrong, then of course all bets are off. 

I'll admit I'm totalling nerding out on the trackers today. 

I'm watching Superfreak's track making it's way up the ICW, and it's made me speculate (for next year and also trying to guess their next move) : could a sailboat potentially 'break out' of the ICW and get into Florida Bay by way of Panhandle Key? They would still have headwinds, but maybe a little more room for longer tacks, and they could avoid the narrow channels at Shell Key Bank and Cowpens Cut. 

Just saw they've tacked back into the ICW. Perhaps this route's viability will remain speculation for another year.

Well. IronMan and Juice, first kayaking team just arrived to checkpoint 3. These guys can go 5 knots regardless of conditions. and they can take direct route. If they leave right away, they have a chance to beat every sailboat currently in Florida Bay...

18 minutes ago, CrazyR said:

Well. IronMan and Juice, first kayaking team just arrived to checkpoint 3. These guys can go 5 knots regardless of conditions. and they can take direct route. If they leave right away, they have a chance to beat every sailboat currently in Florida Bay...

Yes, the double kayak is the faster boat right now. If they have gas in the tank to go...

3 hours ago, CatFive said:

Yes, the double kayak is the faster boat right now. If they have gas in the tank to go...

They're got The Juice, so...

• Like 1
17 hours ago, KC375 said:

Wow.

Cal20, you are reading in to Mr Moon's post something I did not see in it.

Maybe,  

I raced against Matt, do you know him?

On 3/6/2021 at 8:04 PM, @last said:

The stick on the NM68 was quite a sight.  How it ever remained standing after looking at the base is beyond me.  Also impressive sight was the stump left on Sassy, would have hated to be on deck when that gravity storm hit.  Was a cool finish though, 10 70 ft surfboards screaming in from the Mac bridge to the finish line.  On the SC70 with only main and number three first big puff brought just north of 21kts boats speed. A minute or two later with three on deck and just main next puff brought 24kts boat speed.  Fortunately no damage aboard but certainly a memorable ride for the ages.

You get it,

It cleared and we offered Sassy any support.

The only distance I never finished...10 miles from the finish.

14 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Maybe,  

I raced against Matt, do you know him?

If Matt takes issue, he has my phone number. I’d be happy to apologize personally. I certainly meant no offense. 

16 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

You get it,

It cleared and we offered Sassy any support.

The only distance I never finished...10 miles from the finish.

Yeah, things happened for sure preventing the finish. As mentioned was incredulous when I saw the stick that it was still up, a testament to some quick and good thinking on the boat.  

The 70's are/were a great ride.  If you can believe it I did my first mac on the boat.  The crew rightly so, observed I had now where to go but down ridewise-lol.  That said a great bunch of guys and lifelong memories.

On an unrelated note, sorry about your brother.  I didn't know him well but would see him at times at this side of the state and he seemed like a good guy to me.

10 hours ago, @last said:

Yeah, things happened for sure preventing the finish. As mentioned was incredulous when I saw the stick that it was still up, a testament to some quick and good thinking on the boat.  

The 70's are/were a great ride.  If you can believe it I did my first mac on the boat.  The crew rightly so, observed I had now where to go but down ridewise-lol.  That said a great bunch of guys and lifelong memories.

On an unrelated note, sorry about your brother.  I didn't know him well but would see him at times at this side of the state and he seemed like a good guy to me.

All the credit goes to Randy Draftz.  I was holding the sheet on the #4 waiting for something to break.  Randy looks at the base of the mast and just says, we're fucked.  Rounded up got things down, saw Sassy, rigged every halyard to keep it upright.  Thanks for your kind words re: my brother.  It's been almost exactly a year since I learned of his diagnosis and miss him every day.

I do remember seeing the flare from Caliente, SOLAS flares suck when you pay for them, but damn, they do work well.  

On 3/8/2021 at 2:42 PM, CatFive said:

I'll admit I'm totalling nerding out on the trackers today. 

I'm watching Superfreak's track making it's way up the ICW, and it's made me speculate (for next year and also trying to guess their next move) : could a sailboat potentially 'break out' of the ICW and get into Florida Bay by way of Panhandle Key? They would still have headwinds, but maybe a little more room for longer tacks, and they could avoid the narrow channels at Shell Key Bank and Cowpens Cut. 

Just saw they've tacked back into the ICW. Perhaps this route's viability will remain speculation for another year.

Jeff, 

It was another amazing experience.

SuperFreak was everything we hoped for and more, very difficult to get off the beach, and needs at least a foot of water to do her thing, she will go up wind double reefed in 25 kts plus and power reaches like mad.

Naviguesser NateDog had us avoid every major cut, mainly due to wind direction but also to avoid the confinement of the ICW, Nate really got it done for us in some very difficult conditions.

We easily could have shaved off time and I think a 2 day run for us is not out of the question, you are going to have to ask Nate about his personal 3 hour addition to our delta.

This EC should prove to be more difficult than last year for most challengers, but our big G Cat probably made it easier in some way for us.

Hope to see you next year!

AndyMan

20 hours ago, sail10338 said:

We easily could have shaved off time and I think a 2 day run for us is not out of the question, you are going to have to ask Nate about his personal 3 hour addition to our delta.

LOL. That is a story I know and I don't dare tell. But I could only imagine the conversation when y'all realized it. 

Well...

JustAnotherSailor and I had a good run in the Dovekie.  We did an old school full court press to be as nonstop as we could be. 

The start and reach across the mouth of the bay was fully powered up.  Wind lightened up off of Sarasota for a short period of time. Eased through Stump Pass and in to Cape Haze Marina. (Don’t remember it being that tight when I ran a bay boat down there in the 80s.)

Our second leg started inauspiciously by running up hard aground on a dry bank in an outgoing tide in the middle of Little Gasparilla Pass in the dark.  Water did not cover the tops of my shrimp boat boot toe boxes.  20+ min and we had her floating and moving.   Headed South along the outside, the wind started to get sporty and we were very rolly.  Got pooped over the stern by a wave off of north captiva, which I bailed out very very quickly.  Shortly after, we turned to hug the shore along Sanibel, to find flatter seas.  I sailed through a fleet of well lit shrimp boats anchored up close to the East end of Sanibel.  We crossed over the open water south of Ft Myers beach and tighten back up close to coast north of Naples.  Continued down the the coast, rounding Cape Romano and scooted across the shoals towards Indian Key Pass.  We got in to chokoloskee Late afternoon on the second day.   I stripped down to ‘mud clothes’ and had a very wobbly walk in the slime to shore to check in at the checkpoint.  Luckily, I did not ‘mud-dolphin‘ either in or out.    I was not able to determine who was in before us, so we guessed that Spawn, the Litecraft and the two Core Sounds, putting us in An estimated 5th place. 

Our average speed through the water was an unchanging 5 kts up to this point.

Next installment in a while!

Stumbling.  

• Like 4

The CP 2 captain was posting arrivals on FB and I saw you come and go and thought you were kicking some ass.

Veteran 'triber Whale, who was in a 20' trimaran this year, posted this to the FB group:

I have done the 300 mile Everglades Challenge multiple times, on different craft and in different classes. For the 2021 EC I did it on a sailing trimaran class 5. So, with this amount of experience and knowledge comes the question “Which craft or class is the easiest to complete the EC?” What I have learned is that there is NO perfect craft or class. The EC course has a way of challenging, punishing, frustrating and seeking out any weakness in each challenger, craft and class. The EC course is also an equal opportunity abuser and is blind to the fact that someone is a rookie or veteran. The realization that I have come to is that the secret to completing an Everglades Challenge is spending time working on building mental resiliency, preparing one’s body for the physical demands and obtaining the highest skill level possible in the craft of choice versus trying to figure out which craft or class will make it easier. The craft of choice does not make it easier it just changes the makeup of the challenge scenarios the challenger faces on the EC course. How does that saying go “Pick Your Poison”? For 2021 I do want to thank Private Ham for giving me the opportunity to enjoy beating into 20-25 knot winds for what seemed like hours to travel what seemed like 40 miles just to make 25 miles good on the course and to be able to paddle a 1000 lb. boat over mud flats and a tight channel with a SUP paddle. I still want to find that disgruntle paddler who let the water out of Florida Bay to mess with the sailors. Well played :-}

OK, I pick any poison except an SUP. Or I would, but I'm a Speck Tater.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Shambolic Tom said:

The CP 2 captain was posting arrivals on FB and I saw you come and go and thought you were kicking some ass.

Veteran 'triber Whale, who was in a 20' trimaran this year, posted this to the FB group:

Any of the non sailing classes are a bit of a grind IMO.  6 days is a long time to be crammed into the cockpit of a 22 inch wide Kayak.

• 2 weeks later...