Hakan Södergren 31ft racer

Hi Guys, following SA for a while now and now’s the moment to join. I’m fixing up a one off Hakan Södergren 31 ft racer, been in storage in Germany for way to long. Almost a barn find.

The boat is very similar to the one Solo Sailer is racing, the beautiful Azzura 310 Outsider. ( ballast will be different)

I used to sail Soling and was looking for something faster and extremer.

The boat specs are:

9.50 m 31ft, 3.15 m wide and draft 2.20 m total weight  1550 kg/ ballast 650 kg

I’ll mostly like to race long distance doublehanded and think this boat allows me to go serious fast and offers great fun.

Ok let me know what you think about the boat.

93776F6E-D978-4BB2-9569-44FF2B3CF8A5.jpeg

EB377CE7-E8DB-4283-B0E5-28E46FAE4009.jpeg

• Like 3

Congratulations.

Hakan Södergren's designed some interesting boats such as Carrera 280 and 290, Azzura 310, and Tarac 33.

Does  anyone has some knowledge and/or information about Tarac 33?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Definitely like... a lot

Worthwhile project, but why the pointy top on the mainsail?

Great looking boat

FB- Doug

Thanks Doug,   the design is made in the 90's so I guess  before the fatheads kicked in

5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Definitely like... a lot

Worthwhile project, but why the pointy top on the mainsail?

Great looking boat

FB- Doug

Looks to me like camber induced twist, instead of square top washout,  which given the Jim Bowie observation ^^^ is a good trade off?  What kind of sweep on the spreaders?  What kind of AR upwind, 4;1?  Light wind flyer- cool- but I would say that.....bendy mast?  

11 hours ago, solosailor said:

Greetings.....    looks like a close cousin of the Carrera 290 for sure.  

Hi there, yep your 100% right. De former German owners tested de Carrera 290 and asked Hakan to design a more radical boat based on the Carrera. The designbrief for this one off  shows they wanted a superfast boat for racing the Bol d'or and simmilar races on the big lakes of Italy and Switzerland. I was able to get in touch with Hakan himself yesterday to talk about the boat.  I'm looking forward to discuss with Hakan my main goal: get the boat ready for doublehanded racing. 

And I'm happy that you send your greetings, I'm very interested in your experience with Outsider. Since they're both Hakan's designs I noticed a lot of similarities. Ballast weight  will be different and mine doesn't have a swinging di.... I mean pole :-) The Germans started to modify the boat after the finished the building of it, for example they added 1.00 m to the mast. So now it's a firm 14.50 m mast with an also enlarged mainsail. 

I saw some pictures of you with Outsider racing solo, did you had to ad waterballast to stay in control? I do think waterballast will be the only way for my boat to go doublehanded racing. 

No water ballast.   The boat has a 2000lbs bulb at 7.2'.    So a 2150 total ballast package.  You pay a heavy price for water ballast in a rating penalty so it's usually not worth it.

The hull shape probably lends itself well to waterballast. However, it adds complexity. If I was you I would sail the boat for a season and see how it handles.

There are also other options like shortening the rig to its original dimensions and going with a moderate fat head.

1 hour ago, solosailor said:

No water ballast.   The boat has a 2000lbs bulb at 7.2'.    So a 2150 total ballast package.  You pay a heavy price for water ballast in a rating penalty so it's usually not worth it.

Ok my bulb is 1433lbs  at 7.2"  I guess Outsider was designed to race offshore? My boat definitely inshore, altough the conditions on the big European lakes can be crazy

11 minutes ago, neuronz said:

The hull shape probably lends itself well to waterballast. However, it adds complexity. If I was you I would sail the boat for a season and see how it handles.

There are also other options like shortening the rig to its original dimensions and going with a moderate fat head.

Yep very good advice, will do that. 

21 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Yep very good advice, will do that. 

We also found last year in our 8m boat that when sailing doublehanded aggressive stacking makes a huge difference. In our case it was only two bags, a headsail and two spinnakers, but it was worth about 0.2 - 0.3 knots.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, neuronz said:

We also found last year in our 8m boat that when sailing doublehanded aggressive stacking makes a huge difference. In our case it was only two bags, a headsail and two spinnakers, but it was worth about 0.2 - 0.3 knots.

If you're going to carry around any weight, you are definitely better off applying that weight to righting moment!

FB- Doug

• 3 weeks later...