Advice needed on a good mounting unit for an Ipad

I am looking for a good quality holder for an 8th generation Ipad that ideally mounts to fiberglass with an excellent quality suction mount that will stand up to use in a big sea state. (it will be under cover at the helm station) If your experience is that there are no suction mounts that are good enough, but the holder still holds the Ipad well, then I could be tempted to mount the unit with screws (or bolts)

I have looked on Amazon and it is not clear from what I have read how good these units actually are.

It is important that the holder will take the Ipad with a rubberized UAG cover

Thanks thumb.gif

I use this https://www.fisheriessupply.com/scanstrut-rokk-mini-for-tablets-and-phones

All that remains when you aren’t using the tablet is a 30mm square piece of plastic that sticks out about 5mm. 

They also have a nice USB power port for cockpit use that remains sealed while in use.  

On 1/22/2021 at 11:48 AM, Alex W said:

I use this https://www.fisheriessupply.com/scanstrut-rokk-mini-for-tablets-and-phones

All that remains when you aren’t using the tablet is a 30mm square piece of plastic that sticks out about 5mm. 

They also have a nice USB power port for cockpit use that remains sealed while in use.  

We have the same. One mounted above the companionway, another at the helm and like them very much.

• Like 1
On 1/22/2021 at 6:33 PM, seaker said:

I would not trust any suction cup to hold all the time based on my luck in my van on the windshield.  I have had them hold good till they don't.

Fair comment ......... thanks!

On 1/22/2021 at 6:48 PM, Alex W said:

Thanks for this ....... I actually have the Scan Strut USB unit at the helm already ...... I did not know that made this piece of kit ...... much appreciated 

On 1/26/2021 at 7:46 PM, Irrational 14 said:

RAM Mount. Many variations available for your particular application.

On 1/26/2021 at 7:46 PM, Irrational 14 said:

RAM Mount. Many variations available for your particular application.

Thanks .......... appreciate the heads up

It takes a bit of fabrication but I have had good luck with the GoPro (or other brand) gooseneck arms, gopro sticky mounts on the boat, and velcro between tablet/plate that's fastened to the gooseneck. Holds up in massive seas and easy to adjust for glare/viewing etc.

HW

On 2/3/2021 at 3:59 PM, Haligonian Winterr said:

It takes a bit of fabrication but I have had good luck with the GoPro (or other brand) gooseneck arms, gopro sticky mounts on the boat, and velcro between tablet/plate that's fastened to the gooseneck. Holds up in massive seas and easy to adjust for glare/viewing etc.

HW

Thanks for that .......... will try it out ....... it helps that my son is on the international ambassador team of GoPro :D

20 hours ago, Lambretta said:

Thanks for that .......... will try it out ....... it helps that my son is on the international ambassador team of GoPro :D

Biggest reason I like this is flexbility of options, particularly for setting up mounting options while soloing, inside at different sleeping positions.

HW

If you are mounting to a mostly flat(ish) surface, heavy duty 50mm wide velcro. I have a bit on the dash of my car and back of phone case and back of tablet for mapping. Zero fucking about two-handed to remove/install for closer inspection/data entry. $10 roll will give you tablet mounting points everywhere you go (shower?). Works fine on my UB PRO case back irregularities (similar to UAG case, I think). You will absolutely not dislodge the device by casually bumping into it.

Edit- what @Haligonian Winterr said