the state of racing 2021

so, the thread on the 3BF regarding single handed  only, got me to wonder: 

will the 2021 racing season be any different than 2020?  Have you seen in your own areas, a return to 2019 racing? (even a little) or will it be the same as 2020, with many regattas cancelled and only DH and small crew racing?  (Will we continue to see pick up races?  Will we see fully crewed races this year?  Will regattas in the summer be cancelled early?   Will OAs learn from last year and create safe environments for us to race?   Will OAs develop new protocols for their clubs so that we can enjoy safely racing this year?  Will we see (even a little) a reopening up of some of the races and regattas that wert cancelled last year? (safely of course....and as the reduction of covid allows)   Will  mass vaccinations allow us to get back on the water?  

Inquiring minds.........

In the UK it's full lockdown, which will likely last till the end of March, so the winter sailing clubs season is a wipe out. The summer club's start of the season is as yet unknown as it's due 28th March . We may well have a lesser level of lockdown imposed then which may or may not permit racing.

At the current level of Vaccinations in the UK, which doesn't take account of the fact the vaccination rate still increasing, by mid season 1st August, 3/4 of the population will have had one injection about 1/2 will have had 2. That covers all people in the groups that are classed as extremely vulnerable and vulnerable, ie those likely to die.. 

So with Any luck we may get, a full weeks annual regatta which is 31st July on.

Our provisional programme,  https://www.horning-sailing.club/sailing-calendar/ 

note, our programme, is agreed in conjunction with all other sailing clubs programmes  in the area, so major events don't collide. You can race every single day throughout the school summer holidays, going from club to clubs open event regattas.

Our winter series is post phoned. We are hoping to get going in Feb. - but we'll see. Things like Swiftsure, VanIsle have been canceled and any international racing is in the tank. The Canada/USA has closed the border. The Southern Straits race might be iffy and just local boats in it - for now. The Seattle boat show is gone virtual and certainly the Vancouver one coming up. We'll see going forward but it seems that full vaccination won't kick in for the general public in the summer it seems. 

On 1/22/2021 at 6:44 AM, dacapo said:

will the 2021 racing season be any different than 2020?  Have you seen in your own areas, a return to 2019 racing? (even a little) or will it be the same as 2020, with many regattas cancelled and only DH and small crew racing?  (Will we continue to see pick up races?  Will we see fully crewed races this year?  Will regattas in the summer be cancelled early?   Will OAs learn from last year and create safe environments for us to race?   Will OAs develop new protocols for their clubs so that we can enjoy safely racing this year?  Will we see (even a little) a reopening up of some of the races and regattas that wert cancelled last year? (safely of course....and as the reduction of covid allows)   Will  mass vaccinations allow us to get back on the water?  

Inquiring minds.........

our club has scheduled a full regatta season,  true we are a lake club,  but the same standards we used last year will be in place this year...  social distancing off the water,  masks for everyone while sailing if non-family,  i'm sure for now the social season will be cancelled like last year..

We're an an all volunteer ~35 boat mixed PHRF racing fleet (Morf) on Lake Michigan off Chicago.  Last season we ran 3/4 of a season after the city opened the harbors in the 3rd week of June with crew limitations of 6 for boats less than 36 ft and 8 if larger, plus a couple of kids if you had them.  We got in the first race on the lakefront on June 28.  A third of our boats didn't splash for the season in 2020.  Even with only 2/3 of our fleet in the water our participation per race was somewhat better that in 2019; those who did put their boats in had little else to do but race. 

We race 40 days a season, organizing half of those ourselves.  For the rest we participate in other club's races.  The prime example is that we make up about one third of the big Wednesday night beer race series run by Columbia Yacht Club.  We re-score our boats in those races for a beer series in our fleet.  We're now planning our 2021 season based on our full 2019 schedule.  Absent any real information from anyone yet our plan assumes that the Chicago Park District will open the harbors on time (May 1) and that the crew limits may or may not still be in place.  We're hoping that most of the Morf boats that didn't launch in 2020 will be back next season.  We'll be out there racing if they want to come play.  About one quarter of the Morf run race days are open to everyone, for a fee, for non-members; the rest are limited to members.  For members we're a one fee per season, just show up and race, fleet.

Why is this so different from all the cancellations we've heard and continue to hear about?  We're a "paper" yacht club.  In these strange times all the things we don't have; a building, a staff, a bar, a restaurant, ... are assets not liabilities.  Our members come from four and more harbors and yacht clubs on the lakefront.  After races those who are members, and are so inclined, repair to their own club's bars and restaurants.  Plus, anybody who doesn't have beer and rum aboard doesn't belong in a beer race!   We run several Morf parties over the season as we can and parking (and Covid) allows.  Some of those at at the local yacht clubs, where parking is hard, and some at one of our sponsor's restaurants, where on-street parking is possible.

Perhaps some of the brick and mortar yacht clubs can adopt or adapt some of these ideas, at least until the world returns closer to normality.  The object of the exercise is to get boats on the starting line of races that actually happen.

• Like 2

We're planning on socially distanced within-your-bubble racing this year with the flexibility of making changes to the aspects that are governed by virus precautions as the situation changes. We are planning for what used to be Whidbey Island Race Week (this year just: Race Week) but with less of the post-race fun, unfortunately. Participation is planned to be much reduced.

Besides the Beer Cans scheduled from spring through fall, we've got 18 events scheduled ranging from sub-30-mile point-to-point races, to longer overnight point-to-point races, to larger invitational regattas.

I was moving towards shorthanded racing anyway,  and hadn't done our local wed nights on West River in a couple years. Was able do to them this year once they got started, 2H with an old high school buddy. We had a blast and stayed healthy with just the 2 of us on the 35. planning for more of the same this year. I expect those that are able to get their boats back in the water will also. I think my club, (another entity altogether) also plans to open up in the spring for a couple of the 1D classes that are 2H and 1H. we've got sufficient grounds for distanced socializing, beach and crane launching. I plan to be racing my Chesapeake 20 on Friday nights and Sundays. If the Annapolis-Newport race is held, will go. If Marblehead-Halifax is held, will go. 42' boat with 6 or 7 crew that should all be vaxed by then 

On January 22, 2021 at 7:44 AM, dacapo said:

Inquiring minds.........

Who cares?

• Downvote 1

Starting today, in Galicia only national or international competitions are still allowed.

Only individual outdoor sports are permitted and yes, I have  to wear a mask aboard the Laser even if at safe distance from other people (LOL). I don't know if the kid's opti team will be sailing next weekend but I doubt it.

So no racing for weekend warriors for the next three weeks.

Fulk lockdown here so nothing happening.  Keelboat and laser winter series in our clubs cancelled and club aren't encouraging anyone to go out. They're still planning ahead for spring/summer sailing in the hope it will go ahead

American YC is planning a full season. RC posted the yachtscoring, etc for Spring Series - looks like a good one. IC37s coming down from Newport for their east coast champs on the second weekend, handicap the first.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, penumbra said:

American YC is planning a full season. RC posted the yachtscoring, etc for Spring Series - looks like a good one. IC37s coming down from Newport for their east coast champs on the second weekend, handicap the first.

For that matter the YRALIS has its 2021 racing schedule out and I don’t see much cancelled as of yet. 

im asking because I think there’s a way to continue to race sail enjoy the water and friends while still being safe. 
more point to point races. More raft ups after a day of racing so crews can stay on their boats. Races that employ new learned skills, 

LeMans starts. Rabbit /hair races. 
pursuit  races.   
 Single and dh dinghy racing. 

Our club was able to do as much as the state allowed. We went from nothing to family on on the boats to Small crews (plus one) to those in the bubble to finally fully crewed by the end of the season for those who were comfortable.  
as much as I love to party they were unnecessary for sailboat racing. 

Last summer in the Detroit area clubs tried to have as much sailing as possible.  As some might recall Bayview Yacht Club held it's Mackinac Race, much to the chagrin of many on this board if memory serves me correctly.  During last summer there was not a lockdown in our state and limitations on gatherings did not impact crew sizes (10 or less, so only large boats were impacted).  

Flexibility was key for all events that were able to run.  Races got rescheduled, reconfigured (cannot sail in Canadian waters) and awards parties went virtual to meet the fluid demands of the Covid world.

All in all there was a decently full schedule to be had for sailing in the Detroit area last summer due to the competitors and clubs being patient and flexible.  Looking at the schedule on our region's website and the number of asterisks I would say summer 2021 is going to follow the same pattern.

From what I can tell the biggest issue was and will continue to be the closure of the US/Canadian border.  For many of our longer races locally on Lake St Clair that presents a challenge, on Lake Huron that only means that the larger boats are reduced to what in essence is an overnight race.

Even with those changes I can say I didn't hear too many people complaining, they were happy to be sailing and in some cases to be alive!

3 hours ago, dacapo said:

For that matter the YRALIS has its 2021 racing schedule out and I don’t see much cancelled as of yet. 

im asking because I think there’s a way to continue to race sail enjoy the water and friends while still being safe. 
more point to point races. More raft ups after a day of racing so crews can stay on their boats. Races that employ new learned skills, 

LeMans starts. Rabbit /hair races. 
pursuit  races.   
 Single and dh dinghy racing. 

Our club was able to do as much as the state allowed. We went from nothing to family on on the boats to Small crews (plus one) to those in the bubble to finally fully crewed by the end of the season for those who were comfortable.  
as much as I love to party they were unnecessary for sailboat racing. 

I have a better idea bike racing, you dont' need any crew

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, CerveloR5 said:

I have a better idea bike racing, you dont' need any crew

i was gonna say.....

• Like 1

I certainly hope things can get back to normal as we get closer to the 2021 sailing season here on Lake Erie. We're a weekend warrior only program and we don't race in weekly club races. So with events like Cleveland Race Week, ILYA, & the Mills Race cancelled last year we really had to scramble to get races in.  We managed to find smaller local events rather then the more regional stuff. My goal was simply to keep the team sailing! I will say I am pretty happy with our results for the season despite all things.

With that being said, I'm not mad about the outcome!
2020 - 8 Regattas / average ranking 2nd :D
2019 - 9 Regattas / average ranking 4th :mellow:

I think a few clubs proved that you can have a responsible event despite the health restrictions.

Sandusky Sailing Club held their Sandusky Islands Race in August, and turned out to be the big boat event of the summer, with boats coming from all across Lake Erie. With everyone being as responsible as can be, it never developed into a virus spreader event. Same thing with North Cape Yacht Club and the Fall Bay regatta on Put-In-Bay. 

By this spring, one would hope the curve is dropping exponentially with vaccine distribution and a return to being out doors where we can socially distance better and conditions for not spreading the virus are better. 

• Like 1

The latest from my summer club is that they are still planning to run the 60th 3 Rivers Race on 5-6th June 2021.. Home (3rr.uk)

It's our biggest Single race of 100 -150 Boats (though we can exceed than number on the water during regatta week but in different races).