Sign in to follow this  
Ripply

Stretching my boat 7 feet

Here's a unique one.  I finally qualified for a slip that I signed up for a couple years back.  In theory I would have bought a longer boat by now, but that plan fell out the window given the past year. The minimum boat length for my slip is 28 feet, and my current boat is only 21 feet.  I'm thinking I can add a fixed bowsprit for maybe 3 feet, and maybe a mizzen off the stern as well for another 4 feet.  Magic, my boat suddenly measures at 28 feet long.  Any advice about the balance between bowsprit length and mizzen boom size?  I wouldn't mind a mizzen anyways just for boat control reasons, and wouldn't mind a bowsprit either, so I think it's positive all around.  Or is this madness?  Or is there a much better plan?  The wrinkle is that I'm way up in Alaska and a longer sailboat involves a lot of work, money, time, and a closed border.  Here's a pic of my boat.  If there's a mizzen setup off the shelf that would work, all the better.  Maybe a Laser mast and that 4.7 sail?  Or would that just break at first use?  Thanks!

70279095_10221047168595674_8879454429003120640_o.jpg.adbd3beb73cf1ad2bb3ad1b66177168d.jpg

specs.JPG

just keep that kayak off the back.

• Like 1

Just got an excuse for a 7' bowsprit. get ready to go a bit faster than you had been...

• Like 1

It doesn't have to be a USEFUL bowsprit unless you want it to. Much cheaper to have a cheater just to get a slip.

Does Length include the rudder and the overhanging bow pulpit? Get out your tape measure and see.

Most marinas charge by overall length, including overhanging stuff like pulpits.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

It doesn't have to be a USEFUL bowsprit unless you want it to. Much cheaper to have a cheater just to get a slip.

Does Length include the rudder and the overhanging bow pulpit? Get out your tape measure and see.

Most marinas charge by overall length, including overhanging stuff like pulpits.

Yep, overall length.  So really only 6 feet needed up front.  Just what a rookie needs, a huge bowsprit.  :)  I guess it would be simpler to only add that.

Broken windsurfer mast, sure, adding that to the search.

Used windsurfer mast - $50 or so.  Old piece of driftwood found on the shore - free :)  It will have that rugged Alaska vibe.

Oh, oh, oh I know - get a 3" piece of ABS or PVC pipe. Buy some cheap ass carbon wrap on ebay. Voila - fake carbon bowsprit!

• Like 2

I was told that JS started with an Alien and an angle grinder and   ended up with this.

( ie a lotta cut and shut) JS8000

How much stretch'n do a wanta do?

0_4.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

I was told that JS started with an Alien and an angle grinder and   ended up with this.

( ie a lotta cut and shut) JS8000

How much stretch'n do a wanta do?

Now there's a dangerous path to start down. I could probably graft a foot or two onto the stern though without cutting in half.  A little swim platform area might be nice.  But the balance might get weird.  On the other hand very little to lose.  Wait a sec why am I thinking about this idea...

Perhaps an actual transom extension would be best- found a basic example seen below.  That looks pretty doable, and I don't need to worry overly about a perfect level of interior finish.  My transom drags a bit already, unless very lightly loaded.  I'm tempted, why the hell not as long as I'm at it.  That and a bowsprit should do nicely.

Anyone think moving the rudder aft a couple feet to the new transom location is going to cause uncorrectable steering issues?

CF2.jpg.97a7007c9e6a1826cdfbdc5aa54ce0fb.jpg

8 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Get inspired.:D

Nice!  Yes, that would nicely solve my "the mast is too damn long" problem.  That looks easy to sail singlehanded, right?

Can't you just pay the marina the rate for the 28' boat for now and tell them you are getting a new boat "soon"? At the end of the day having a customer paying their moorage in full and on time is probably the biggest importance to the marina manager

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ripply said:

Nice!  Yes, that would nicely solve my "the mast is too damn long" problem.  That looks easy to sail singlehanded, right?

Easy peasy with RF sails electric winches and water ballast.

There are solutions to just about every marine conundrum these days, it becomes a question of how much you want to spend.

2 hours ago, ctutmark said:

Can't you just pay the marina the rate for the 28' boat for now and tell them you are getting a new boat "soon"? At the end of the day having a customer paying their moorage in full and on time is probably the biggest importance to the marina manager

I wish...  The rules are a bit strict on this, as there are commercial fishing boats that want spots and don't want to look at little sport boats using the whole harbor.  I think rates are almost subsidized because it's a working harbor, like an asset of the city.  The priority is actually maximum utilization and business tax revenue.

Big ass angled flagpole on the stern should give you a couple of feet. Our little one gives us a foot, and we have to take it off for some marinas.  Then you’re down to five feet, and an articulated assym pole (like an Antrim 27, except not retractable.). (Call Forte Carbon, they can help you out there)  off the front would be just the ticket.  Stern extensions are cool, but you’ll want a Naval Architect in on that one.  $$$$$

Here’s an image of an articulated pole- it’ll make gibing an assym, or a code zero- ish thing or a flying drifter a lot easier, assuming you have a lot of light air up there-  and it can be nice and beefy if it’s made to be up there all the time.

On another front, you could put a Gunter rig on your mast, make sure the topmast is long enough to extend past the boom and stern when the top mast is still on the mast, and lying on top of the boom when not sailing.  A carbon Gunter top mast is a cool way to get a flexible mast setup.    If you have a lot of really light air, the extra mainsail could make your ride a light air weapon, and the best thing about a Gunter is that when you reef, the center of gravity of your mast and windage goes down.  On the other hand, you could cut your present mast down 1/2 or 3/4 of the way up, if it’s aluminum, put on the Gunter topmast, and you’ll have a lot lighter mast set up.  Frankenboat!

Here’s an articulating sprit- they work with jibs too.  

9E6AE183-C449-4C7B-91CE-93D1B97F42D7.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Or you could just follow the rules and let someone with the right size boat use it 

Cool story. 

17 minutes ago, Amati said:

Big ass angled flagpole on the stern should give you a couple of feet. Our little one gives us a foot, and we have to take it off for some marinas.  Then you’re down to five feet, and an articulated assym pole (like an Antrim 27, except not retractable.). (Call Forte Carbon, they can help you out there)  off the front would be just the ticket.  Stern extensions are cool, but you’ll want a Naval Architect in on that one.  $$$$$

Here’s an image of an articulated pole- it’ll make gibing a lot easier, assuming you have a lot of light air up there-

9E6AE183-C449-4C7B-91CE-93D1B97F42D7.jpeg

Cool boat!  That looks just about right to me.  What is that one, if you don't mind sharing?

Edit- found it.  Nice.

https://www.vgyd.com/project/the-paradox-1050/

Here’s gunterish sophisticated rig google 10 sq m monotype German

FAD20981-8C74-4229-8993-EFE0AFC29567.png

I give up trying to post images tonight

btw, really dig the Alien.  Was it down here at Port Ludlow for a while?  Some Aliens are set up for an asymmetrical in Australia- is yours?

45 minutes ago, Amati said:

I give up trying to post images tonight

btw, really dig the Alien.  Was it down here at Port Ludlow for a while?  Some Aliens are set up for an asymmetrical in Australia- is yours?

Perhaps, long ago. I purchased it in Oregon a few years back, with only a mainsail.  It's been a great starter boat for me.  I knew very little about sailing when I picked it up.  I'm still only scratching the surface but at least I have some theory now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ripply said:

Perhaps, long ago. I purchased it in Oregon a few years back, with only a mainsail.  It's been a great starter boat for me.  I knew very little about sailing when I picked it up.  I'm still only scratching the surface but at least I have some theory now.

https://fortecarbon.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAr6-ABhAfEiwADO4sfdEOkfasdQ0OUmsTXbuVqI2WJ_IP77g56mDCmn-xB4XJ_JhYEoLhtxoC_v4QAvD_BwE

ive used these guys for a lot of stuff- they can help you size things-  you might ask about fittings. The class in Australia might help with installation advice.

• Like 1

4ft sprit up front..... Party at the back?

image.jpeg

Oh dear...  we are well off course now, although that does resemble the local Alaskan fauna.  

Or you could just follow the rules and let someone with the right size boat use it 

Kenny was on the right track.  I think the better answer is to change to a different boat.  I'm really liking the idea of an International 210.  Minor problem, the closest available is a mere 4,802 miles away.  Anyone know of an I 210 for sale on the west coast?

Followup question: is it poor form to haul an I210 this far away from all its brothers and sisters?  I doubt it would ever cross paths with a 210 fleet again.