4 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Yep. Mine was "competent." Look it up. It doesn't say anything about library custodians in OZ. That's under "c ... u...s ..."

It's ok, I wouldn't expect you to understand.

How about this. Would this attract howls of outrage?

"Competent black people"

Now do you get it?

Never mind.  

29 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

My bad. I meant to make fun of Meli in particular. 

I'm with @bmiller.  Poor taste.  Keep it classy, this isn't PA.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

My bad. I meant to make fun of Meli in particular. 

You mean by fat shaming her?  Or having her do a domestic job?  Or just because the lady's shirt doesn't quite fit?     

Or is it that you think the yellow cord clashes with the read vacuum cleaner?  That must be it.  Meli should never be caught with an out-of-style vacuum.  A Dyson at least.

Your frat parties must have been a barrel of laughs.

An observation.  

Behind many competent women is/was a strong partner (man/woman...) behind the scenes, offering and giving support, belief and sustenance.  These people are generally highly competent in their own right (else they wouldn't have been selected), but are willing to subsume that to the success of their prominent lady partner.

Margaret had Denis Thatcher, for example, without whose support she may well have foundered.  Kamala has Doug Emhoff.

And Boadicea had what's-his-name, I forget.  It was too long ago.  But he was a good chap anyway.  He just loved the mead.

23 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

An observation.  

Behind many competent women is/was a strong partner (man/woman...) behind the scenes, offering and giving support, belief and sustenance.  These people are generally highly competent in their own right (else they wouldn't have been selected), but are willing to subsume that to the success of their prominent lady partner.

Margaret had Denis Thatcher, for example, without whose support she may well have foundered.  Kamala has Doug Emhoff.

And Boadicea had what's-his-name, I forget.  It was too long ago.  But he was a good chap anyway.  He just loved the mead.

Yeah, good partnerships/marriages are ones where you view your partner as an equal in the marriage and applaud his/her strengths and successes. It’s give and take and sometimes one or the other smiles and takes a backseat because of the opportunities that life gives the other.

Just now, Merrill Levi said:

Prasutagus

That's the bloke.  Drank like a fish, I remember, and didn't smell too good either.  But he was good for Boadicea.  At least he lived.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Left Shift said:

You mean by fat shaming her?  Or having her do a domestic job?  Or just because the lady's shirt doesn't quite fit?     

Your frat parties must have been a barrel of laughs.

Guilty as charged. The fat thing shows no discipline, no education, no exercise, no competence. Res ipsa loquitur. Sue me.

Obesity Facts in America - Healthline  https://www.healthline.com/health/obesity-facts: "In the United States, 36.5 percent of adults are obese. Another 32.5 percent of American adults are overweight. In all, more than two-thirds of adults in the United States are overweight or obese."

We're really just a fat fuck or two away from the tide turning and people like me will be shamed for staying in shape -- and it doesn't happen on an e-bike. Each time that fork nears yer mouth you face a life-altering decision. My experience has been no matter how much I eat ... I'm hungry again in a scant few hours. YMMV. Not rocket science. Nancy Reagan told everyone how to deal with various issues and yes, thin as a rail she was.

--------------------------------

Meli could have scrolled on by but she saw a windmill. It's who she is.

---------------------------------

You gents can pick your own hill to die on but I'm not going on Political Correctness Peak. 

Frat parties? Is that like boy bands? Tough to stay back on the farm after you've seen Paree.

You sensitive hipster types are quite free to ignore me. If you keep it to yourselves, no one will know or care. 

• Downvote 1

You mean the Prasutagus who allowed the Romans to turn him into a ‘client’ and didn’t provide for his wife and daughters, so said Boudicca, after the rapes and beatings, then actually did the job of freeing her tribe?

this whole thread is proof positive that chauvinism is alive and well. Congratulations.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, P_Wop said:

An observation.  

74575516.jpg

On 1/23/2021 at 2:54 PM, Point Break said:

Maybe it’s because I’ve been around and worked with competent women my whole life that I don’t find their existence remarkable. I’ve always known gender is not a prerequisite for competence......meh.......

Ding!...That's the problem with this thread...The premise is sexist.

33 minutes ago, Dog said:

It's always something ain't it? Try to make a nice comment about a few women and all the SJWs come out to kick some sand in yer latte. Then the sand gets in yer Speedo™  and on to the crotch area and before you know it, tears well up -- and not from the sand -- oh hell no!, those tears are from the butthurt -- the stink and rank abuse of words mattering ... maybe a little too much. Words like "chauvinistic" and "gender" and "disgusted" and "sexist;" words that hurt and hurt big. 

As a gesture of kindness -- loathe that I am to suggest it -- here's a coupon to save some money on any hipster's next purchase of Summer's Eve™ feminine products . (Appparently, it's cleaner and fresher than the Summer's Morn™ so very many of you use.) Enjoy.

15 Coupons $1.50/2 Summer's Eve External Products 3/14/2020

23 minutes ago, Francisco Laguna said:

I am utterly disgusted that this thread even exists.  There is no such thing as a women or man.  We are all the same.  That's what the great leader Heir Biben says.

A new candidate for the ignore button?

2 hours ago, Dog said:

Is that why you started another thread about competent people of color?  Seriously?  Leave that shit down in the gutters of PA.  I was going to say something in that thread but I didn't want to be associated with it.

There is nothing wrong with talking about accomplished women.  Bowgirl and I do it all the time talking with my 11 year old daughter.  Trying to teach her she can do anything she wants in this world.  A good lesson all girls should be taught.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mathystuff said:

800px-Judith_Butler.jpg

Had the pleasure of attending when that picture was taken at univerity of Hamburg and talking with her briefly.

Easily one of the brightest persons I've ever met.

I'll take obscure female German theoretical bioethicists for $800, Alex  Ken.

3 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

I'll take obscure female German theoretical bioethicists for $800, Alex  Ken.

That picture is of Judith Butler.

The obscure german theoretical bioethicist Pieper invited her, afaik.

• Like 1

Google quickie:

This is no bullshit ... I'd seen her before and the gender neutral  appearance was familiar. And you have to give me the ethicist points. I changed my guess from biology. 

And of course the gender thing is germane. Outstanding post! A slight introduction may have added flavor.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Is that why you started another thread about competent people of color?  Seriously?  Leave that shit down in the gutters of PA.  I was going to say something in that thread but I didn't want to be associated with it.

There is nothing wrong with talking about accomplished women.  Bowgirl and I do it all the time talking with my 11 year old daughter.  Trying to teach her she can do anything she wants in this world.  A good lesson all girls should be taught.

Telling anyone, whether male or female that their potential is limitless is a good lesson.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, mathystuff said:

Absolutely. I wondered how you found that one out. The wonders of reverse image search, I guess.

Nah, I just googled her name after you wrote it. And nobody ever said being prominent had anything to do with competence.  

edit: read her bio everyone, it'll make you feel like a slacker.

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

edit: read her bio everyone, it'll make you feel like a slacker.

Well, that's not exactly a challenge. :D

• Like 2
On 1/25/2021 at 10:40 AM, Left Shift said:

Or is it that you think the yellow cord clashes with the read vacuum cleaner?  That must be it.  Meli should never be caught with an out-of-style vacuum.  A Dyson at least.

Your frat parties have been a barrel of laughs.

Yeah, I love my Dyson .

Well, if one has to have a vacuum cleaner?

5 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Yeah, I love my Dyson .

Well, if one has to have a vacuum cleaner?

Dyson's suck.

28 minutes ago, rastro said:

Dyson's suck.

Not for long before they break..

plastic heaps of junk..

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 1:29 PM, Jkdubz808 said:

Telling anyone, whether male or female that their potential is limitless is a good lesson.

image.png.69a138c498bb14312cd9602d131b849e.png

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Strong Island Woman

She is a Cruzan, that should tell you something right there!

She's from NYC. She moved to the USVI.

On 2/11/2021 at 3:31 PM, Rasputin22 said:

If a kitten is born in the oven, does that make it a biscuit? 

More likely toast

On 1/24/2021 at 7:18 PM, P_Wop said:

An observation.  

And Melania had the Donald?

On 1/24/2021 at 3:57 PM, Shortforbob said:

It's ok, I wouldn't expect you to understand.

How about this. Would this attract howls of outrage?

"Competent black people"

Now do you get it?

Never mind.  

I didn't post here until now but I get your point. 

If we cannot lighten up a bit how about we also yell about 'toxic masculinity'? It seems to be stylish to wave that one about broadly as if from the moral high ground. 

On 1/22/2021 at 9:15 PM, Mrleft8 said:

So, I join the club. I paid my dues.

That must be one of my problems.  There are dues?

That big with the tatoos wants access to my checking account?

1 hour ago, hasher said:

That big with the tatoos wants access to my checking account?

Noun urgently needed by absent-minded Atlanta attorney. Also caretaker position open.