NY/NJ Yacht Clubs....

I'm looking for a new place to sail out of.......I could care less about social events, just need deep (Keel boat) water, good racing, & good sailors.  Too much to ask?

Not going to mention where I was last year or before, just looking for some fresh opinions. 

I am mid 30's and would not like to be the or that "young" guy, if you know what I mean.

I am located in central NJ and don't mind driving an hour or so either......

1 hour ago, SEC16518 said:

I'm looking for a new place to sail out of.......I could care less about social events, just need deep (Keel boat) water, good racing, & good sailors.  Too much to ask?

Not going to mention where I was last year or before, just looking for some fresh opinions. 

I am mid 30's and would not like to be the or that "young" guy, if you know what I mean.

Hi,

I am an active member of the Raritan Yacht Club, in Perth Amboy, NJ.  We have the most active racing program on Raritan bay. We have well attended racing program with very competitive Weds night racing along with multiple weekend series.  We have an excellent facility. The club is also very reasonably priced. A number of boats travel as well, with a few doing ocean racing ( Marion and Newport Bermuda, Marblehead Halifax, Annapolis Newport, etc).  If interested, PM me and I'll put you int ouch with our membership chair.

• Like 1

Atlantic Highlands is a nicer town location - easy to walk in for dinner, etc. Racing at the club quieted down a lot after Sandy (had been in decline for a while). It's also a little more protected if you stay aboard and I think deeper water. 

Raritan is definitely the better racing scene, better clubhouse.  

Keyport is an interesting club as well - very low key, DIY, smaller and less protected. Probably not what you're looking for, though.

5 hours ago, SailRacer said:

this Sat there is a Free seminar on open water survival.

Is there something you are not telling the rest of us...?

How deep is keelboat depth? Active fleet of 6+ Ensigns sailing out of Toms River every weekend summers with fall and spring series. They always have room for a sailor who isn’t looking to take a cooler full of beer and gear  on the course. Good people and great competition. National Championship regattas every few years... PM me if you want some names of skippers looking for crew. Of course, sailing out of the Highlands or Keyport us fun and 8’ + depth

TR is way too shallow, great for board boats......Doesn't Raritan make you attend the club events monthly throughout the winter, I talked with someone over there a year ago?  Also, the mooring field seems like it extends into the shipping lane.

Ok, so you want to get on a boat, race and go home. No socializing, just racing. I used to drive an hour to Atlantic Highlands to race Wednesday nights on a J-24 and regattas on the weekends to help a skipper win. It was fun but the driving got old. I’m a block from our club and have a few keelboats myself that I race PHRF, so I stayed here to race and cleaned up.

I have 4 keel boats-46, 42, 28 and 20-wing keel, full keel, retractable  bulb keel and bulb keel. Never ran aground while sailing around here. In fact, other than a laser, I have never sailed a board boat in Toms River. Ever.

But I guess a competitive one design keelboat fleet like the Ensign fleet 63, located right in central Jersey where you are is too small or otherwise not what you are looking for. 

51 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

Pass on all the Jersey clubs. Make the trip to Larchmont. It’s worth it. Tons of one designs, keelboat racing, and a nice place to boot!

Sheepshead Bay Yacht Club. He can take PATH to NYC to  the B Line subway.

57 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

Pass on all the Jersey clubs. Make the trip to Larchmont. It’s worth it. Tons of one designs, keelboat racing, and a nice place to boot!

I doubt LYC is looking for members who only want a place to park the boat...

Maybe he didn't intend it.., he probably didn't.., but the tone of the first post wouldn't be all that endearing to most membership committees.

on the other hand, maybe he's just being honest, and has no interest in those clubs - which is fine. That's the great thing about clubs.., they are all different, and there's one that's perfect for everyone.

But, I think most clubs want members who want to participate in the social life of the club - the social life is what distinguishes them from marinas.

6 minutes ago, us7070 said:

I doubt LYC is looking for members who only want a place to park the boat...

Maybe he didn't intend it.., he probably didn't.., but the tone of the first post wouldn't be all that endearing to most membership committees.

on the other hand, maybe he's just being honest, and has no interest in those clubs - which is fine. That's the great thing about clubs.., they are all different, and there's one that's perfect for everyone.

But, I think most clubs want members who want to participate in the social life of the club - the social life is what distinguishes them from marinas.

Most yacht clubs today are desperate for members. Any members. One with a boat is an automatic. Any boat. 

LYC has a new $10m pool to pay for! 

1 minute ago, Cristoforo said:

LYC has a new $10m pool to pay for! 

and it's pretty nice!

most clubs that I know about are doing fine. My own club, also a club with all the amenities,  seems to be taking in many young families who probably plan on staying for years. Mostly they are sailors too...

5 hours ago, SEC16518 said:

TR is way too shallow, great for board boats......Doesn't Raritan make you attend the club events monthly throughout the winter, I talked with someone over there a year ago?  Also, the mooring field seems like it extends into the shipping lane.

If you want to know about RYC, give me a call. I PM'd you my number. There is no monthly club event requirement. The mooring field does not extend into the shipping lane.  We are outside the channel with room for 300 boats. We have mooring spots available.

4 hours ago, SCANAS said:

The NJ clubs are really nothing more than glorified associations. 

That is just plain silly....

Been a long time since I was up there but Raritan would be my choice.  Realistically the only choice for what you are wanting at least it was back in the day if deep water and keel boating racing is high on the list.

19 hours ago, SEC16518 said:

Try the Moose Hall on City Island, they let anyone in!

For the record I am not just trying to park a boat....Just not looking for forced social time and work parties.  I have 3 kids, wife, and my own business.....Not much time for that.

Also, I think a lot of these clubs want you to be all in from the beginning.  It takes time to develop relationships and a desire to be involved.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

Sheepshead Bay Yacht Club. He can take PATH to NYC to  the B Line subway.

Even better if he likes Russian hookers 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SEC16518 said:

For the record I am not just trying to park a boat....Just not looking for forced social time and work parties.  I have 3 kids, wife, and my own business.....Not much time for that.

Also, I think a lot of these clubs want you to be all in from the beginning.  It takes time to develop relationships and a desire to be involved.

Have you considered a municipal mooring and chaining a dinghy to a telephone pole on the side of the road?    
This is how anti social yachtsmen can avoid those annoying  monthly restaurant minimums  
This is what the clam diggers do. 

Have you considered just cruising around with your family instead of screwing them out of your limited free time for your need to race PHRF? 

On 1/26/2021 at 2:00 PM, SEC16518 said:

Thank you for qualifying your needs. You clearly know what you want and you really wouldn't fit in.

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Have you considered just cruising around with your family instead of screwing them out of your limited free time for your need to race PHRF? 

Not sure where that is coming from Torp, but I spend every chance I get with them.  They crewed in 90% of my PHRF races last year....

So you are sailing as a family? If so, I deeply apologize.:mellow:

I couldn’t get my spouse to do it and it’s a sad thing. I hope you find a place to do it where there is good competition. Raritan, Keyport and Richmond YC all experience some pretty intense short chop up there(washing machine) so waterline length is important. I really enjoyed sailing out of Atlantic Highlands.

You might have noticed that I was not racing for a number of years. I was trying to keep my family together and sailed one Wednesday night race with my kids and the now ex-wife was furious for taking them out. She wanted them to hang with her at the bar...We won and the kids loved it! 

3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

:lol:

21 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

You might have noticed that I was not racing for a number of years. I was trying to keep my family together and sailed one Wednesday night race with my kids and the now ex-wife was furious for taking them out. She wanted them to hang with her at the bar...We won and the kids loved it! 

Sorry to hear that, she doesn't sound like the right one for sure............My wife gets scared shitless when it blows over 12, but the kids love it and she gets more comfortable every time out......lol

• Like 1

SEC,

Give Raritan a look.  Water is reasonably deep.  I'm fine with with a 7' draft.  We have a few boats at 8-8.5'.

Send me a message if you'd like more info.  I've been at Raritan 30ish years.

--Matt

You may want to look at Riverton Yacht Club on the Delaware River just across from Northeast Philadelphia. Very active J/22 Fleet, Cruising Fleet, Flying Scot, Mariner and Lightning Fleet. There is also Laser and Opti Racing. There is racing on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Sundays as well as some weekend events. About 40 minutes from Trenton. Rivertonyachtclub.org