Melges 24 - Electronics package

What's the go-to electronics package for the Melges 24 these days?  I thought that I remember reading something about adding a speedo to the hull but I can't say for sure.  My boat didn't come with anything so I bought a Vakaros Atlas but that's it so far.

8 minutes ago, jokerx9 said:

For a while - mid to late 2000s the speedo with solar panel was popular. Seems like now most boats have gravitated towards the Velocitek. 

I see...so that was old info which is possible as I have some print outs that came with the boat and some are old, that may be where I read that.  So it sounds like the Vakaros will cover my needs just fine.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Irish River said:

We use a velocity prostart, and have tactick with speedo.  We sail in lots of current, so it can be useful.  

Hey Irish...I should have just PM'd you.  A Tacktick can use a speedo?  It must be one of the upper models eh?  I have a Micro.  I've got a bunch as a matter of fact.  Speed Puck, Tactick Micro, Velocitek Shift, Vakaros Atlas.  I think that I own a sailboat shop at this point.  

It is old, but still works.  Sailmaster or Racemaster I can't remember.  We keep it in window sill when not in use to keep the batteries alive.  I will replace when the batteries die.  

• Like 1
20 hours ago, WCB said:

What's the go-to electronics package for the Melges 24 these days?  I thought that I remember reading something about adding a speedo to the hull but I can't say for sure.  My boat didn't come with anything so I bought a Vakaros Atlas but that's it so far.

Do you still have the receipt for the Vakaros? You'll probably want to return it and get a prostart. Lets just say that if you bought the Atlas waiting for them to come out with new features that they've advertised you might be waiting a long long time.

Hmmm, that's not good.  I bought it used off of Ebay, now I know why. ;)  

5 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Do you still have the receipt for the Vakaros? You'll probably want to return it and get a prostart. Lets just say that if you bought the Atlas waiting for them to come out with new features that they've advertised you might be waiting a long long time.

@Jackdaw not gonna let this assertion go unchallenged are ya?

M20 - used Tactick Racemaster with wireless depth / speed.  Many also had a Velocitek ProStart to manage busy / congested start lines.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, KC64000 said:

M20 - used Tactick Racemaster with wireless depth / speed.  Many also had a Velocitek ProStart to manage busy / congested start lines.

I have seen a lot of pictures of M24s with two instruments on the mast.

TacTick racemaster with a ProStart is basically the standard in the J70. Tactick tactical compass with a prostart is super common on high performance dinghies and cats. You get physical boatspeed with the racemaster, with a transducer.

I wish we could use a different paddle wheel on the tactick.   We have airmar shorty. I would much prefer to use the Signet one. We don't have depth on ours, not a feature we want to look for either.

I know one team, Mikey, has there boats fully kitted out with wind instruments. It could be handy for wind shifts, but calibration is tough on a boat with mast that can bounce around at the tip.

We have a ProStart for pinging the start line and a B&G triton display with speed and compass.

The ProStart is rather slow to update the speed, having a paddle wheel log is better. 

Keep your Vakaros. If you want speedo they are working on that option with the Airmar Smart sensor which is bluetooth. They have made it work. Now just working out what is needed to update the hardware after they are happy with testing.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 2:00 PM, Thunstruck said:

What is everyone using for the B&G triton power source?? 

There are a variety of solutions. None are off the shelf. 12v power tool batteries, car jump starters (Weego and similar), small sealed battery for scooters etc.

We were there, sailing our Melges 24 for the very first time.  A few stumbling blocks on day one but we met our main goal.  

Loved our Vakaros Atlas.  One of our team who loves electronics was floored by it.  It was fun to ping the line and get that aid though we were so new to the boat that I was heads in the boat too much until Saturday afternoon.

I'm not interested in adding a thru-hull to the bottom.  I'd rather keep the boat smooth.  

19 hours ago, WCB said:

We were there, sailing our Melges 24 for the very first time.  A few stumbling blocks on day one but we met our main goal.  

Loved our Vakaros Atlas.  One of our team who loves electronics was floored by it.  It was fun to ping the line and get that aid though we were so new to the boat that I was heads in the boat too much until Saturday afternoon.

I'm not interested in adding a thru-hull to the bottom.  I'd rather keep the boat smooth.  

That was a very deeply talented fleet to line up against first time.  Sorta like heading out to compete with an AC sailors or something.  Wait! Bora Golari IS an AC sailor, former team member of American Magic (Tragic).

8 hours ago, Senator Seditious Maximus said:

That was a very deeply talented fleet to line up against first time.  Sorta like heading out to compete with an AC sailors or something.  Wait! Bora Golari IS an AC sailor, former team member of American Magic (Tragic).

We got served some humble pie but we faired pretty well all things considered for literally never having rigged a Melges 24 before Wednesday.  Unfortunately our jib was tied up on the head with line which got cut through twice, forcing us to miss the first day of racing.  Fixing that on a Melges 24 on the mooring was fun.

13 hours ago, Irish River said:

We have a twist shackle for head of jib in heavier air.  I tie with dyneema in the lighter air to give me some height. 

Thank you...we learned that lesson the hard way this past weekend.  Ugh.