The stove in this house seems to be a placeholder, I suspect the former owner took the one that matched the nice refrigerator and dishwasher and left a modest one behind. After being in the new house for about 5 months the frustrations of cleaning a radiant cooktop with a messy cook are getting higher to the point of action. 

We had a GE "Profile" Induction & convection range in CA, and it was less likely to have caked on carbonized residues as well as the advantages of convection baking/roasting. 

Scanning what is available in Eastern SC (cuz surprisingly not all models are available nationally) there's a few choices of Frigidaire, GE Profile, GE Cafe, Bosch, LG, and Samsung in the < $4k price point and some "yacht priced" ones above that. 

Any recommendations on brands to go with/avoid? 

Consumer Reports only has 4 in it's ratings, and none of them are GE. 

My uninformed opinion is rapidly becoming that:

1. They are all made with the same guts.  Same factory, same problems.

2. The electronics are all crap. And expensive/hard/non-replaceable or repairable.

3.  Whatever is selected will have some + and some -, so its all a compromise.

4.  If it can be cooked on the BBQ, it should be cooked on the BBQ.  Burn off the mess.

Best of luck.  We are heading down the same path with a fridge here soon.  All these kitchen appliance things last 10 years by design. :angry:

Nothing Kenmore. Over the past decade or so, Sears service has gone from "we'll fix it or replace it, whatever it takes, and we are sorry for the inconvenience" to a little Punjabi voice saying "we have your money, ha ha ha."

GE glass top stove/convection oven, has always worked very well. The warming spot gets a little hotter than I'd like for china plates, but other than that, it's easy to use, easy to clean, my wife has even taken over most of the cooking since she retired too. Win/win

- DSK

Capital 5 burner with convection (The 5th burner is a wok ring thing, and ha serious BTUs.

I liked the one I had with the rotisserie, but for the amount of time we used it, when we moved, we got the same model sans the rotisserie.

https://capital-cooking.com/products/precision-30-self-clean-range-4-2/

We bought a GE profile range 5 years ago.  No problems with it, and if for some reason I had to buy another range right now it would be high on the list.

We've got a GE glass counter-top range on a kitchen island.  Twenty years old and still doing well.  We're waiting for it to blow up. 

The island stove top has no ventilation. When SWMBO cooks fish, the place smells like a Kate Bush concert for days.  So we're looking to install a vent hood. Anyone care to enlighten us?  Brands, CFM, installation tricks, etc.... 

Don't make me start a Vent Hood Anarchy thread.

TIA

• Like 1

Holy shit prices have gone up. We've got a 20 year old thermador, been bulletproof except the 1 time the mother-in-law drowned the extra-low side by flooding it with a boil-over. 

I think we paid about $4k then, looks like they run closer to $7k now. No complaints at all other than the one mentioned. Plenty BTUs, easy to clean. We opted for the middle grill, should have gone wok-burner.  Like said above, grill outside.

The install guys put the hood 6" too high. Unfortunately. Biggish hassle to change it

Does it need to be pretty?? Buy a Hobart or other commercial restaurant stove, actually quite reasonable for the price and parts are available 25yrs later. 

Buddy has a 1 yr old Wolf, service guy has been there three times in a year. $12,000. CDN kitchen stove , (that's $875.US) and its down for a week at a time. 

Currently have a ge glass top.but for us it was a matter of fitting it in location.  ( There is a window and window ledge 8 " above the stove.  Only sticks out an inch so we don't lose stove space but can't do many model designs.  

Wanted the white model but white was $800 more than the slate color we got.  ,$800 for color.

6 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

We've got a GE glass counter-top range on a kitchen island.  Twenty years old and still doing well.  We're waiting for it to blow up. 

The island stove top has no ventilation. When SWMBO cooks fish, the place smells like a Kate Bush concert for days.  So we're looking to install a vent hood. Anyone care to enlighten us?  Brands, CFM, installation tricks, etc.... 

TIA

Im looking for a hood too. Most important is not to buy one that moves too much air for your cubic foot needs, you can draw moisture into your home with vacuume in the rainy season, over time that can cause a LOT of issues. Next is how quiet it is, that's why Im looking now. My last place had 600 cfm over island cooktop, it was too much on high, just didn't turn it up. Air movement has a lot to do with duct size, a 4" duct isn't moving 200 cfm.

Sadly, my vent hood doesn't work. It makes noise but does nothing else. I replaced the filters, same thing. Went up to the attic space and couldn't find the end. I think it's just stuffed into the wall someplace. North Floriduh contractors don't always have high ethical standards... Especially on any given day between 10AM and 3PM which seem to be the regular work hours.

7 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

TIA

We have an island cooktop. The house came with a downdraft vent built flush with the cooktop. It did nothing but cause very uneven heat with the gas burners, but vented no odor or moisture. We did a partial remodel and added a pop up vent, the kind that rises out of the counter behind the cooktop. It was better than nothing, but not by much. Last year it died, so we got another, taller and more powerful. It is ok at best.

If you have a way to install an overhead hood do so, they work much better. They are also less expensive, and are reliable. The pop ups have too many moving parts and installing them is complex and expensive. 

Keep in mind if you are starting from scratch you can have the blower installed outside the house, not in the kitchen. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, steele said:

We have an island cooktop. The house came with a downdraft vent built flush with the cooktop. It did nothing but cause very uneven heat with the gas burners, but vented no odor or moisture. We did a partial remodel and added a pop up vent, the kind that rises out of the counter behind the cooktop. It was better than nothing, but not by much. Last year it died, so we got another, taller and more powerful. It is ok at best.

If you have a way to install an overhead hood do so, they work much better. They are also less expensive, and are reliable. The pop ups have too many moving parts and installing them is complex and expensive. 

Keep in mind if you are starting from scratch you can have the blower installed outside the house, not in the kitchen. 

My blower pretty much sits outside the front door smoking cigarettes, and drinking wine. Like I said before, it doesn't do much in the way of sucking.

32 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

My blower pretty much sits outside the front door smoking cigarettes, and drinking wine. Like I said before, it doesn't do much in the way of sucking.

Its not a blower anymore... its a conversation piece. All good with that.

An Aga stove is what my wife would love to have...... if they were available here.  She has never cooked with one and has no idea of the practicalities, but it is her dream stove.  I'm sure it would all go horribly wrong if we actually had one, but she keeps dreaming.....

See related image detail

We have the low end Frigidaire Gallery induction stove with convection oven which we got on sale for around $1K CAD.  It works very well.  The bottom of the oven door has the same stupid design as many others where the lip that holds the glass catches any drips that come down the front.  The dog then licks it when we are not around, and it will eventually corrode.  

I did notice that it is a replaceable part, so I will probably buy an extra door frame before the parts go unavailable. 

Meanwhile in reality, this kit is apparently all one needs for a thousand family meals a year. Maybe US$150 all up, including the cool Korean iron grill thingy on the wall. More money for yacht stuff...happy hubby.

01AD353C-22B7-435B-A4E0-7D5B11E02C31.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

I think it doesn’t matter anymore they are not built to last like the old ones

I have owned a appliance service company since the mid 1970s. Used to be a Maytag dealer but closed the retail part in 2005 and have just been doing service for most brands since.  It used to be if you bought the premium brands, Maytag, JennAir, Kitchenaid, Amana they would run at least 15 years before you would have to even have a repair. (I just did a service call today on a Maytag washer that I sold in the early 90s and she thought it was leaking, it turned out to be the faucet going to the washer). Most of my calls now are on machines that are 2 to five years old. It doesn't matter if its a expensive or low end model or brand.  Electronics are total crap, mechanical parts have been engineered down to the bare minimum, but the worst is the energy star stuff that will save 5 cents worth of electricity in a month but cause your fridge to die in 6 years.  

• Like 6

This is my proplem with consumer goods these days. It used to be if you payed more you got better quality. Not only appliances, but even cars. Remember when Mercedes made vehicles that would go 200K with no issues? I would be willing to pay more for better stuff, but often there is no way to tell. There are some exceptions, power tools come to mind, but with appliances I now buy mid range at best. Part of the problem is even with expensive appliances the repair cost approaches replacement value too much of the time, so if I am stuck buying new every 6-10 years I end up saving a lot of money over time.

13 hours ago, woodtick said:

Yup. Cept they are mullling no more natural gas in the near future. Ffs here.

NG is the fuel of choice for home heat.  Hard to convert millions of homes to something different.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, steele said:

This is my proplem with consumer goods these days. It used to be if you payed more you got better quality. Not only appliances, but even cars. Remember when Mercedes made vehicles that would go 200K with no issues? I would be willing to pay more for better stuff, but often there is no way to tell. There are some exceptions, power tools come to mind, but with appliances I now buy mid range at best. Part of the problem is even with expensive appliances the repair cost approaches replacement value too much of the time, so if I am stuck buying new every 6-10 years I end up saving a lot of money over time.

That's why we went with the low-end induction stove.  We had a power issue at our house (neutral disconnected) that took out our next-to-last stove.  Just the replacement electronic control board + installation was worth half the price of a new stove.  If you have a high end stove, a small failure might render it not worth repairing.  

So, low-to-mid range is a good call these days.

IMHO, the advent of low-end induction stoves has rendered resistive heating element stoves obsolete.  I would never consider anything other than gas or induction at this point, and gas is going the way of the dodo in the not-too-distant future.

• Like 1

They're not going to cut off anyone's natural gas anytime soon. Instead, they'll legislate against NG appliances and heat in new construction, then they'll go after the replacement market so consumers will slowly convert over to electric appliances and heat. 

59 minutes ago, warbird said:

NG is the fuel of choice for home heat.  Hard to convert millions of homes to something different.

By 2030 all new buildings/homes must use only renewable energy. No natural gas will be allowed. And we have a shit ton of it in BC.

3 hours ago, woodtick said:

By 2030 all new buildings/homes must use only renewable energy. No natural gas will be allowed. And we have a shit ton of it in BC.

A phase out does not seem to be on the horizon in the midwest.

3 minutes ago, warbird said:

A phase out does not seem to be on the horizon in the midwest.

It won't originate there but it'll get there just the same. Once the rest of the country goes that way and federal regs are tightened on indoor air quality and efficiency, the gas appliance manufacturers will eventually decide it's not worth producing both flavors. It's exactly analogous to how cars are often only available in California-spec emissions configurations. It's too much trouble (read: not enough incremental profit margin) to make a 49 state version.

On 1/27/2021 at 9:19 AM, Windward said:

My uninformed opinion is rapidly becoming that:

1. They are all made with the same guts.  Same factory, same problems.

Best of luck.  We are heading down the same path with a fridge here soon.  All these kitchen appliance things last 10 years by design. :angry:

Largely correct. Appliance companies shop for a basic chassis at the Guanzhou Happy Tiger appliance factory or one of five like it; they specify trim kit, unit price, delivery targets, maybe a few key components like pump motors or control panel; then they go down the road to another factory to source their 'Profile' dishwasher. Upshot is a lot of Maytag, GE, Whirlpool, Kenmore, Kitchen Aid, and Frigidaire appliance share primary assembly lines; and near every manufacturer sources (say) dishwashers a la carte from five different factories. Each of which has its own somewhat variable QA policies, as do their subassembly providers.

So you can't really generalize, as you used to, that GE make excellent cooking stuff but their dishwashers are shit. Depends on the cooker, depends on the dishwasher. Online reviews of specific models are usefull (with the eternal caveats) if only because they reveal patterns of failure. If twenty reviews say "It worked fine for two months, then the broiler wouldn't turn off," you can assume that's endemic to the oven. 

Induction cooktops require specific cookware, but presumably the OP knows that. Don't expect your Revereware pans to heat up on one. Ducting: around 500 cuft/min is easy; you can run up to 800cuft/min without makeup air, but many don't really have the ductwork to handle the bigger blower, so their effective capacity is lower than faceplate. Over 1000cuft/min can backdraft furnaces and fireplaces. Over islands, I like the low visual impact of a glass hood, tho their collection is less efficient than a closed type and the glass can get nasty from oil droplets. They do need to mount higher than a wall installation, to keep people from bopping their skull on it and to provide clear eyelines. So you are losing some efficiency there. 

22 hours ago, Henley Hornbrook said:

I have had a Bosch Induction for the last 5 years , I miss the knobs for temp control but that is the only downside to the cook top. The oven takes for ever to heat up, but once heated up it bakes perfectly.

Solved that by running the broiler to preheat.  Worked a treat until I fried the motherboard as the jackasses at the factory did not put he heat shield in.  Of course it was out of warranty.  Currently running a kenmore Pro Range.  Love the cooktop, it is bulletproof, the rest, not so much.  For those that have the "Alternate Burners"(Wok, elongated etc) do you use them for the specific purposes they were designed for or are they just Odd??  EG. I have never used the elongated griddle burner I have for actual griddling as it is a PITA to heat up/clean the Griddle unless I am cooking breakfast for 10....  

31 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Largely correct. Appliance companies shop for a basic chassis at the Guanzhou Happy Tiger appliance factory or one of five like it; they specify trim kit, unit price, delivery targets, maybe a few key components like pump motors or control panel; then they go down the road to another factory to source their 'Profile' dishwasher. Upshot is a lot of Maytag, GE, Whirlpool, Kenmore, Kitchen Aid, and Frigidaire appliance share primary assembly lines; and near every manufacturer sources (say) dishwashers a la carte from five different factories. Each of which has its own somewhat variable QA policies, as do their subassembly providers.

So you can't really generalize, as you used to, that GE make excellent cooking stuff but their dishwashers are shit. Depends on the cooker, depends on the dishwasher. Online reviews of specific models are usefull (with the eternal caveats) if only because they reveal patterns of failure. If twenty reviews say "It worked fine for two months, then the broiler wouldn't turn off," you can assume that's endemic to the oven. 

Induction cooktops require specific cookware, but presumably the OP knows that. Don't expect your Revereware pans to heat up on one. Ducting: around 500 cuft/min is easy; you can run up to 800cuft/min without makeup air, but many don't really have the ductwork to handle the bigger blower, so their effective capacity is lower than faceplate. Over 1000cuft/min can backdraft furnaces and fireplaces. Over islands, I like the low visual impact of a glass hood, tho their collection is less efficient than a closed type and the glass can get nasty from oil droplets. They do need to mount higher than a wall installation, to keep people from bopping their skull on it and to provide clear eyelines. So you are losing some efficiency there. 

Great insight. Just went through this in the fall, but did not pull the trigger.  Your bit about the reviews is spot on.  I started with the one stars, rarely read the 5 stars and tried to find patterns.  Knocked a couple out of the top 5.  We held off as we are going to be doing a major remodel once the kid id out of school, so buying piecemeal did not make sense.  Also, Getting the whole shebang was cheeper and keeping them all in phase makes sense.  

To the OP

There is a wait time for install/delivery(covid).  At appliance factory outlet, I would have had to wait 3 months for some of the models(they said it was industry wide), so plan accordingly.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, steele said:

This has nothing to do with ranges per se, but we had a pretty flash Gaggia full auto espresso machine. We called it the "Italian Dude" - Well, a good 10 years and 15000 cups/coffee+ and the Italian Dude retires. In his last year, we replace some of the guts, ceramic grinder, some of the sensors, etc, but it was time for replacement. 

In our journey of repair, we discovered that the Gaggia bits are all made by Saeco, and are the same bits as their machines that cost about 25% of the Gaggia.

So, when it was time to hire a new Italian Dude, we ended up buying a low end super-automatic, and guess what, the parts on the inside and the coffee is exactly the same...

6 hours ago, IStream said:

They're not going to cut off anyone's natural gas anytime soon. Instead, they'll legislate against NG appliances and heat in new construction, then they'll go after the replacement market so consumers will slowly convert over to electric appliances and heat. 

Agreed, gas will continue for existing consumers for a long time yet, but I would expect to see a ban on natural gas fireplace inserts and stove sales sometime in the next two years, followed a couple of years after by a ban on natural gas furnace sales. People will have to convert to heat pumps when their NG furnace dies.  Whether one agrees with it or not, Ms. Thunberg and the scientists are winning the battle for the the hearts and minds of politicians everywhere.  Politicians are already discussing it here in BC.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, IStream said:

It won't originate there but it'll get there just the same. Once the rest of the country goes that way and federal regs are tightened on indoor air quality and efficiency, the gas appliance manufacturers will eventually decide it's not worth producing both flavors. It's exactly analogous to how cars are often only available in California-spec emissions configurations. It's too much trouble (read: not enough incremental profit margin) to make a 49 state version.

That maybe in the future but I will have a sassy nurse spoon feeding my oatmeal at that point and giggling as I make ridiculous comments about her and I and running away together if she has a wheelchair friendly minivan.

1 hour ago, Borax Johnson said:

Surprised no one has asked yet: Are you going electric or gas?

Does anyone actually use an electric stove/oven anymore?

Aside from the cost to operate, they're impossible to cook on with any finesse. I hear some people say that an electric oven is better for baking bread/cakes because the heat once it reaches a certain temp. is more consistent, but I've burnt more bread in an electric oven (rental property) than in a gas oven.

18 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Agreed, gas will continue for existing consumers for a long time yet, but I would expect to see a ban on natural gas fireplace inserts and stove sales sometime in the next two years, followed a couple of years after by a ban on natural gas furnace sales. People will have to convert to heat pumps when their NG furnace dies.  Whether one agrees with it or not, Ms. Thunberg and the scientists are winning the battle for the the hearts and minds of politicians everywhere.  Politicians are already discussing it here in BC.

There building with Gas and putting in huge new projects in South Carolina and actually advertise it as and all gas home 

Had oil then gas and now electric and pretty happy with the electric BUT GAS was great during power failures (10 days ) twice since Sandy 

5 hours ago, tommays said:

There building with Gas and putting in huge new projects in South Carolina and actually advertise it as and all gas home 

Had oil then gas and now electric and pretty happy with the electric BUT GAS was great during power failures (10 days ) twice since Sandy 

Pretty convenient when you are helpless when all of your energy come in on one wire.....

6 hours ago, tommays said:

Had oil then gas and now electric and pretty happy with the electric BUTT GAS was great during power failures (10 days ) twice since Sandy 

I never thought of using butt gas for cooking....

We're designing new high rise residential projects with gas in the building, but the several of the local jurisdictions are requiring that the electric service and necessary pathways are in place to convert to all electric at some point in the future. 

That said, we have been really happy with the gas GE Cafe series range/oven that we have. 

On 1/29/2021 at 1:01 PM, Mrleft8 said:

Does anyone actually use an electric stove/oven anymore?

Aside from the cost to operate, they're impossible to cook on with any finesse. I hear some people say that an electric oven is better for baking bread/cakes because the heat once it reaches a certain temp. is more consistent, but I've burnt more bread in an electric oven (rental property) than in a gas oven.

that's what all the those radiant heat cooktops are,  electric...   and yes, pretty much all new homes,  <$1.000,000, in texas,  will be electric,  do you think builders are going to spend THEIR money putting in expensive gas cooktops?

those induction cooktops, I wonder if there are any studies on how it would affect something like a pacemaker...

On 1/29/2021 at 1:06 PM, tommays said:

that's what propane / charcoal  grills and a dutch ovens are for..

45 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

that's what all the those radiant heat cooktops are,  electric...   and yes, pretty much all new homes,  <$1.000,000, in texas,  will be electric,  do you think builders are going to spend THEIR money putting in expensive gas cooktops?

those induction cooktops, I wonder if there are any studies on how it would affect something like a pacemaker...

Those induction cooktops suck.

It takes forever to heat up, once it does it takes forever to regulate to cool down to where you want it. I suppose if your cooking repertoire consists of fried eggs, scorched hamberder patties, and spaghetti with jar sauce, they'd be fine, but.....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

that's what propane / charcoal  grills and a dutch ovens are for..

With Sandy it snowed and got really cold With 10 days of power failure it became critical to have heat for the old folks and a tiny generator ran the gas furnace so grandma was safe and warm 

The Gas water heater and dryer also allow laundry to be done with again a tiny  amount of electric SO as painful as it was and all electric house would have been Unlivable 

2 hours ago, tommays said:

With Sandy it snowed and got really cold With 10 days of power failure it became critical to have heat for the old folks and a tiny generator ran the gas furnace so grandma was safe and warm 

The Gas water heater and dryer also allow laundry to be done with again a tiny  amount of electric SO as painful as it was and all electric house would have been Unlivable 

I lived in coastal Ct. at the time. Sandy was the 3rd of 3 storms that knocked my power out for 10 days each in about 3-4 months. I had a 7500 watt generator pigtailed into my electric system (totally illegal, but it worked). It powered my well pump, my basic household utility needs, and sucked down a boatload of gasoline. When our power Co. finally got taken to task for being such money grubbing scumbags that raised our rates, and didn't maintain the lines, I got a $100 credit over the course of 3 months.... I spent more than $100 on gasoline in one 10 day period. Then the assholes claimed they needed a rate hike to cover the cost of their payout loses, and line repairs!

The power Co. CEO was fired, the company changed it's name, and they got their rate hike. I'd left the state by then.

41 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I lived in coastal Ct. at the time. Sandy was the 3rd of 3 storms that knocked my power out for 10 days each in about 3-4 months. I had a 7500 watt generator pigtailed into my electric system (totally illegal, but it worked). It powered my well pump, my basic household utility needs, and sucked down a boatload of gasoline. When our power Co. finally got taken to task for being such money grubbing scumbags that raised our rates, and didn't maintain the lines, I got a $100 credit over the course of 3 months.... I spent more than $100 on gasoline in one 10 day period. Then the assholes claimed they needed a rate hike to cover the cost of their payout loses, and line repairs!

The power Co. CEO was fired, the company changed it's name, and they got their rate hike. I'd left the state by then.

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-death-sentence-banker-lai-xiaomin-bribery-bigamy-2021-1

They don't seem to have a recidivism issue!  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

It takes forever to heat up, once it does it takes forever to regulate to cool down to where you want it. I suppose if your cooking repertoire consists of fried eggs, scorched hamberder patties, and spaghetti with jar sauce, they'd be fine, but.....

we are talking the same thing,  the ones that cook via magnetism?    i've seen countertop units boil water in a minute and you can dial in temps..

34 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

we are talking the same thing,  the ones that cook via magnetism?    i've seen countertop units boil water in a minute and you can dial in temps..

The ones I used must be older models.

We love our induction cooktop.  Heats up super fast, and the surface doesn't get hot so if there is a spill it doesn't bake onto the glass top.   I would prefer a rotating knob for finer control of heat instead of the 1-10 stepped settings, but we can live with it.

On another note, banning gas is being discussed in some places in the USA, on a more relaxed schedule that what is being contemplated up here, and only affecting new builds: 

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/de-blasio-proposes-banning-gas-hookups-in-new-nyc-buildings-by-2030/

4 hours ago, Rain Man said:

We love our induction cooktop.  Heats up super fast, and the surface doesn't get hot so if there is a spill it doesn't bake onto the glass top.   I would prefer a rotating knob for finer control of heat instead of the 1-10 stepped settings, but we can live with it.

On another note, banning gas is being discussed in some places in the USA, on a more relaxed schedule that what is being contemplated up here, and only affecting new builds: 

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/de-blasio-proposes-banning-gas-hookups-in-new-nyc-buildings-by-2030/

https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles/policy/energy-environment/pipeline-war-long-island-isnt-really-over.html

https://www.newsday.com/news/region-state/williams-pipeline-dec-permit-1.44664785

Whole long term thing going on with that and a ban on and important new pipeline for Long Island Gas supply which stoped a lot of building upgrades as you can’t increase your gas usage 

10 minutes ago, tommays said:

https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles/policy/energy-environment/pipeline-war-long-island-isnt-really-over.html

https://www.newsday.com/news/region-state/williams-pipeline-dec-permit-1.44664785

Whole long term thing going on with that and a ban on and important new pipeline for Long Island Gas supply which stoped a lot of building upgrades as you can’t increase your gas usage 

This discussion could go to PA but it is unfortunate. Largely NG is a widely available and cost effective energy source for heating, laundry and cooking.  I like looking at the flame under my cookware to gauge what I am doing. Is induction super efficient?

5 hours ago, warbird said:

This discussion could go to PA but it is unfortunate. Largely NG is a widely available and cost effective energy source for heating, laundry and cooking.  I like looking at the flame under my cookware to gauge what I am doing. Is induction super efficient?

If you believe this article, yes: 

https://www.leafscore.com/eco-friendly-kitchen-products/which-is-more-energy-efficient-gas-electric-or-induction/

The only issue with induction I am aware of is you have to keep your distance, as in no leaning over the pots, if you have a pacemaker:  

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16635999/

And, of course, you need induction-friendly pots.  I saw this as a disadvantage; my wife OTOH was pleased as it gave her an excuse to buy new pots and pans along with the new stove.

If you have gas or propane available, I can strongly recommend getting an antique gas stove. When we built our home in Ca we'd found a very old, dirty, unrestored, $135  O'keefe and Merritt stove in a used appliance shop. After a good clean up, and despite some chips in the porcelain, we built the kitchen around it and it worked flawlessly for years.

We liked it so much we got a similar one restored when we built this house.

enhance

After a few years I disconnected 2 of the pilot lights to save some propane, but otherwise it's great! Plus, the kitchen is always toasty warm in the winter time!

8 minutes ago, Willin' said:

If you have gas or propane available, I can strongly recommend getting an antique gas stove. When we built our home in Ca we'd found a very old, dirty, unrestored, $135  O'keefe and Merritt stove in a used appliance shop. After a good clean up, and despite some chips in the porcelain, we built the kitchen around it and it worked flawlessly for years.

enhance

After a few years I disconnected 2 of the pilot lights to save some propane, but otherwise it's great! Plus, the kitchen is always toasty warm in the winter time!

Good point.  Grandma had this.  Some cousin or other probably has it, not enough room in most kitchens these days.

See the source image

4 hours ago, warbird said:

Good point.  Grandma had this.  Some cousin or other probably has it, not enough room in most kitchens these days.

See the source image

Good Gawd Yall!

See the source image

6 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Good Gawd Yall!

Coffee pot (percolator) sat over one of the back pilot lights to keep warm.

See the source image

I guess this is why American Pickers if filming in South and North Carolina as there has to be so much of this stuff in the rural abounded housing 

See the source image

We (my parents) had one of those at some point. It was built to use kerosene, but got changed over to LP.

It was awesome at Thanksgiving/Christmas, but I think it used more LP in it's pilot lights in a week than our subsequent South bend used in a year.

5 minutes ago, chester said:

is that 5 (five!)  roasting/oven/warming compartments?? and 8 burners!

Well yeah, ya gotta cook the turkey, bread, breakfast rolls, pie and squash all at once, doncha?

• Like 1

miele oven and Bosch glass cook top

both thanks to jimmy carters restore who resell home stuff donated to them

I do like german high end stuff esp at cents on the dollar for band new units after they sat at the restore for months

and splitting up units so it is not an all in one fail point

all el as that blows up a breaker not the house as gas leaks can

but propaine outside for the burner /BBQ in case of no power

11 minutes ago, nota said:

miele oven and Bosch glass cook top

both thanks to jimmy carters restore who resell home stuff donated to them

I do like german high end stuff esp at cents on the dollar for band new units after they sat at the restore for months

and splitting up units so it is not an all in one fail point

all el as that blows up a breaker not the house as gas leaks can

but propaine outside for the burner /BBQ in case of no power

My brother, the super yacht captain, told me that Miele is very often the appliance of choice for galley and house keeping  on the big boats. If you can get one, even used, cheap, I'd say go for it!

new Whirlpool gas range/oven comes tomorrow...built in air fryer, 5 burner w/griddle.  full cast iron grate on top.  Looking forward to the new appliance.  It will match the new Whirlpool low profile microwave /vent and dishwasher

On 2/1/2021 at 9:10 AM, Willin' said:

enhance

Love it..  What's it cost to restore??  And can you put modern guts in her??  

1 hour ago, dacapo said:

new Whirlpool gas range/oven comes tomorrow...built in air fryer, 5 burner w/griddle.  full cast iron grate on top.  Looking forward to the new appliance.  It will match the new Whirlpool low profile microwave /vent and dishwasher

We went with a basic range vent over the stove because a microwave on the counter is easier to load and unload 9x11s when you are shorter(Mrs) or have old damaged shoulders.  It was an option for us because we had adequate counter top area for a full size microwave.

3 hours ago, shaggy said:

Love it..  What's it cost to restore??  And can you put modern guts in her??  

It ain't cheap! IIRC it came out to around $5K with shipping from LA. I never thought about modernising it but you might contact these guys to see if it can be done.

http://www.antiquegasstoves.com/

They're the best!

I have one of these in the garage pending fixing of water damage. Looks substantial. I’ll give a pirep next week when it is installed. 

dammit. Can’t do it from my phone. Thor 30” range. Update when I’m home. 

Edited by Borax Johnson
On 2/1/2021 at 8:10 AM, Willin' said:

enhance

Had the smaller one when I lived in LGB.....  got it for free from my neighbor.    He was going to toss it, all I had to do was help him get it out of the house...  he was getting one of those new Viking thingies...   It was missing a few pieces that I was able to get form some place in Burbank that rebuilt these things and a few days to get it cleaned up it looked almost as good as yours... 

Does that shelve fold down and cover the burners?  Are the cooking time a temps still on the oven door?

When we sold the house we sold the stove with it, as it was part of the charm...  silly me I could have gotten some money for it, but then again our house got into a bidding war and we made out alright.

They do warm things up

1 hour ago, nacradriver said:

Had the smaller one when I lived in LGB.....  got it for free from my neighbor.    He was going to toss it, all I had to do was help him get it out of the house...  he was getting one of those new Viking thingies...   It was missing a few pieces that I was able to get form some place in Burbank that rebuilt these things and a few days to get it cleaned up it looked almost as good as yours... 

Does that shelve fold down and cover the burners?  Are the cooking time a temps still on the oven door?

When we sold the house we sold the stove with it, as it was part of the charm...  silly me I could have gotten some money for it, but then again our house got into a bidding war and we made out alright.

They do warm things up

Ya mon! This is the third stove we've had like this and never once have we folded that shelf down. I guess it might be useful to keep a curious cat off the tortilla griddle or something like that, but it's pretty convenient as a shelf.

Still has the baking times on the inside of the oven door. The best feature is the Grillevator on the left side broiler. That's some Dagwood and Blondie stuff right there!

It also had a timer so you could program in start and stop times and temps, which was pretty amazing considering the vintage, but I had to disconnect the clock. It started alarming in the middle of the night and I'm not smart enough to fix stuff that old.

I'm hoping when we move out of this house the buyer will be willing to keep it cause I don't ever want to move that sucker again.

• Like 1

In my home I have a JenAir Gas Convection Range = Stainless & Cast Iron with Commercial Burners

my model is sans the electronic control boards that let you start kooking the turkey Next Week

it's a Sheep in WOOLF's clothing  (if ya gut the koin get a WOOLF)

at my rental I have a white 5 burner center grill GE Gas Convection double Oven Door range

it has an electronic control panel and the lower convection oven is ...... Ready ? .......... Fucking Electric (pretty sure but ??)

My Advice if you live in a place like DAGO = Craigslist

I got the GE for $150 ... NEVER USED ... was $2,800

guy buys it does the pro-pain conversion w/o the directions, lights the small burner and a 2' flame Jumps out

Wife Yells GET THAT OUTTA HEAR - so he buys electric and she is happy

I bought the parts for $115 and converted back to Nat Gas ...............  Worked Like NEW Cus it Was

in DAGO/SoCal people stage homes to sell w New Kitchin Shit

and those who buy it toss everything out to do Their Personal Thing

you can buy NEW Bitchin stuff that "They" didn't love for close to Nothing

I am a Black Belt with High End LG Fridges and Washers  but so what

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the inputs:

We went with the GE Profile Induction/Convection PHS930SLSS and bought it through the direct "Ge Appliance" store that's a corporate "perk". Delivery due in late March. (It's being manufactured, the "discontinued" flag is due to back order) 

Factors: (descending priority) 

• Already have a nice set of ALL-clad nonstick Induction capable cookware so the conversion was a sunk ($400) cost. 
  • Wife doesn't like Gas stoves, and she liked the induction range in CA once we got the new cookware 
  • Convection is a much better means of baking/roasting once you understand the change in times and how to ramp temperatures to skin over a roast
  • The range opening was preset at 30" and the kitchen remodel is anticipated to be a few years downrange
  • Didn't have propane installed at the time of decision
    •  We ran the PEX tubing past the fireplace on South side, past the stove location,  around the house to support BBQ grill in back (East), and a future Tankless wafer heater/genset on the North side. (Currently building the enclosure on North to hold generator behind trash bins)
    • Future access to support a gas stove is a matter of a bit of digging, splicing in a Tee and riser and punching through the outer wall. 
  • No Natural Gas yet in this neighborhood, though they are running a 12" pipeline down the River Oaks Drive which we use and they may offer it, if so I foresee that we would probably connect with the the propane as back up.
  • Myrtle is not likely to get the polar vortex but the annual hurricanes may interrupt electric power. The "D cell" battery backup to the fireplace igniter provides flame but not blower; this house has 7 1/2 tons of heat pump, and is not readily partitioned to keep heat near the fireplace (installed in a 18' ceiling living room)  

The GE Appliance business was sold to Haier of China, and much as with automobile brands, there's common chassis and differentiating trim and software between price points. The Cafe models charge dearly to customize the knobs, and have the interface to a Bluetooth equipped frying pan so the pan modulates the stove to product the desired temperature while your ipad has the recipe...

If you can handle the size and shape the commercial stuff is usually a superior choice due to as mentioned long product life, parts, and engineering to run in harsh environments with high cycles. In the current market, the used commercial stuff from closing restaurants is a real deal. You can get "reach in" glass door refrigerators (think convenience store) for very cheap. 

We have a ~25 cu ft commercial reach in freezer out in the garage, where the form factor and wheels are not out of place and ability to run in high temperatures is beneficial. If the grandkids are in and out on 15 min intervals for popsicles its well within the design parameters.  

Cosmetics will vary, we had an ugly craigslist sourced hobart dishwasher in the tasting room in CA and it ran an NSF approved sanitary cycle in 3 minutes on a rack of 36 glasses, with boosted water temp, no need to "dry" 

On 1/30/2021 at 5:03 PM, Mrleft8 said:

It takes forever to heat up, once it does it takes forever to regulate to cool down to where you want it.

Huh? Exactly the opposite of our experience.

On 1/31/2021 at 1:51 PM, Rain Man said:

That's been our experience too. Ours has rotating knobs and a digital display showing the power setting. The display shows a .5 between each integer. I'm not sure if it actually has infinite settings or only 20 but it's quick to heat and consistent once heated. Unless someone invents something even better, we'll only have induction cooktops from here on out.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, LionessRacing said:
    • Tankless wafer heater/genset on the North side. (Currently building the enclosure on North to hold generator behind trash bins)

may want to hold off on the tankless until you get the gas run (hell of lot more cheaper to run) ...  and then you'll want some way for power to get to the controller when electricity is out..  otherwise it's useless in a power failure..

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

may want to hold off on the tankless until you get the gas run (hell of lot more cheaper to run) ...  and then you'll want some way for power to get to the controller when electricity is out..  otherwise it's useless in a power failure..

Genset? 

22kW Generac with auto transfer switch 

On 2/9/2021 at 10:40 PM, Leeroy Jenkins said:

What's up with the mailbox? 

Top is a "warmer" Keeps stuff warm.

Below that is a bread oven. Bottom is probably a broiler.

Beneath the cook top is the double oven, so you can have one oven set at 375f to cook your chicken, and the other at 425f to cook your baked potatoes.

The wider one on the right is big enough for an 18lb. turkey, but barely tall enough.

Funny though, I'm not seeing enough knobs for all those ovens....

7 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

you'll want some way for power to get to the controller when electricity is out..   Never happen...

Our tankless water heater runs on LPG, and fires up almost instantly on generator power w/o a flicker of the lights. I think it's a piezo igniter, like you'd have on a modern gas stove (Click click click Poof!)

On 2/20/2021 at 8:35 PM, Mrleft8 said:

Our tankless water heater runs on LPG, and fires up almost instantly on generator power w/o a flicker of the lights. I think it's a piezo igniter, like you'd have on a modern gas stove (Click click click Poof!)

you have a whole house generator ?    i have a dual fuel generator but no cut-over panel.. both the tankless and the hvac systems are in the attic, it would be nice to find a way to swap them from mains to external power..