KGB began grooming 'young and vain' Donald Trump 40 years ago

Amazing to me how this comes out once he is no longer president.

...by saving him from financial ruin and turned him into a Russian asset who gave Putin 'everything he wanted' as president. 

(DailyMail) Donald Trump was cultivated as a Russian asset more than 40 years ago which exploded into a decades-long 'relationship' of mutual benefit to both Russia and Trump, a shocking new book claims.  

Trump was rescued multiple times from multiple bankruptcies by boatloads of Russian cash laundered through his real estate in the 80s and 90s, the author asserts. Russian money also picked up the tab for buildings franchised under Trump's name. 

An invitation to Russia by a high-level KGB official in 1987 under the guise of a preliminary scouting trip to build a Trump hotel in Moscow, was in fact 'deep development' by KGB handlers that furthered creating secret back channels and allowed the Russians to influence and damage American democracy, the author claims. 

When Trump became President, it was time to pay the piper and Trump gave Putin everything he wanted, the author writes. Author Craig Unger makes the revelations in his new book, American Kompromat, How the KGB Cultivated Donald Trump, and Related Tales of Sex, Greed, Power and Treachery. Unger is a journatist and author of six books, including the New York Times bestsellers House of Bush, House of Saud, and House of Trump, House of Putin. 

Read More: 
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9184687/How-Russia-began-grooming-Donald-Trump-40-years-ago-saving-financial-ruin-book-claims.html

Sad, And yes odd timing unless you want to have the MF impeached.

But for the R’s he’s still their guy........makes you wonder if the Ruskies kindly supplied Donny with Dossiers of dirt on his most vocal critics, Ms Lindsay comes to mind.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

Why didn’t the author cash in a year ago? Odd timing. 

2 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

Sad, And yes odd timing unless you want to have the MF impeached.

But for the R’s he’s still their guy........makes you wonder if the Ruskies kindly supplied Donny with Dossiers of dirt on his most vocal critics, Ms Lindsay comes to mind.

Book launch:rolleyes:

Gee, if only Nancy P. and her boyz had bothered to follow the Mueller investigation trail that Bob handed to her on a silver FUCKING platter, we might not have had the debacle in DC we saw unfold a few weeks ago.  

3 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Gee, if only Nancy P. and her boyz had bothered to follow the Mueller investigation trail that Bob handed to her on a silver FUCKING platter, we might not have had the debacle in DC we saw unfold a few weeks ago.  

Moscow Mitch wasnt ever going to convict. Period. End of Story.

just look at this. Trump red-handed incited an insurrection with the express purpose of killing the #2 and #3 in line AND overturning the election. 

He still won't be convicted.

• Like 7
8 minutes ago, Raz'r said:
12 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Moscow Mitch wasnt ever going to convict. Period. End of Story.

just look at this. Trump red-handed incited an insurrection with the express purpose of killing the #2 and #3 in line AND overturning the election. 

He still won't be convicted.

Weak sauce.  It's not only about the conviction.  The entire fucking point of the Mueller investigation was to hand congress a playbook to do their own digging, using the powers of that body that even a speshul prosecutor doesn't have.  If they could have established a definitive link to trump and the KGB, I don't think even MM could look the other way and there would have been overwhelming pressure from the 'Murican public to string him up.  

But you're right, I'm gobsmacked that a cut & dried case of sedition and insurrection is being overlooked on technical grounds.  But you're not seeing the long game.  Had the house dug convincing eva dents up of trump being a KGB asset - even if the senate declined to convict - he would be under federal indictment for treason and espionage at 12:01pm the 21st of Jan.  Hopefully this book will have some good facts that the FBI CI office can use to dig into what was the real link and bring charges.  Especially as shitstain has no pardon to cover him.  

Edit to add: I'm hopeful that once the house impeachment managers make a compelling case that a former preznit can indeed be impeached, I'm hoping that some more R's turn to the convict column.  

OK, maybe hopeful is the wrong term.  Cautiously optimistic?  Nah, WTF am I thinking?  The R's that won't convict are fucking traitors to their country.  Plain and simple.  

7 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Edit to add: I'm hopeful that once the house impeachment managers make a compelling case that a former preznit can indeed be impeached, I'm hoping that some more R's turn to the convict column.  

OK, maybe hopeful is the wrong term.  Cautiously optimistic?  Nah, WTF am I thinking?  The R's that won't convict are fucking traitors to their country.  Plain and simple.  

https://sethabramson.substack.com/p/january-5-meeting-at-trump-international

Depends on how much of a blind eye they can turn

1 minute ago, mad said:

Depends on how much of a blind eye they can turn

both of 'em .

7 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

I’m thinking there might be a Polonium DietCoke in Donnie’s future.

Swiftly gone from useful to liability and with his big mouth he would be a major liability.

Cripes ... Polonium 210 is some horribly nasty shit, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I worked with it for a few days in scintillation experiments, some legacy sources from the 1950s, really not well sealed ... 250,000 times more toxic than hydrogen cyanide. Wildly stressful. Hopefully those Ruskies no longer use it.

Let's play this out for a bit........  Let's say that the allegations are 100% true and the KGB has been running the orange fat man for years.  Now what?

Of course, shitstain goes to jail for life for treason and espionage and a whole host of other charges.  But what about Russia?  What ramifications do they face?  Running espionage agents and stealing defense secrets is one thing.  Of course both sides do that.  But if he was doing Vlad's bidding - wittingly or unwittingly - we just lost $450K Americans dead (and counting) due to the fact that Russia groomed and installed a Manchurian (or is it more properly a'Siberian") candidate that has done what is arguably more lasting harm to the US than the Nazi's did to us in WWII. 

Is that a "go to war" level of escalation?  Just saying.

12 minutes ago, Mid said:
16 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Just saying.  Salivating

FTFY

No, not quite.  My fighting days are over.  Now I'm just teaching the young'uns to go blow shit up.  ;)

But I do have stock in both Raytheon and Boeing - and some inventory replenishment would be good for my retirement prospectus.  

j/k :ph34r:

48 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Let's play this out for a bit........  Let's say that the allegations are 100% true and the KGB has been running the orange fat man for years.  Now what?

Of course, shitstain goes to jail for life for treason and espionage and a whole host of other charges.  But what about Russia?  What ramifications do they face?  Running espionage agents and stealing defense secrets is one thing.  Of course both sides do that.  But if he was doing Vlad's bidding - wittingly or unwittingly - we just lost $450K Americans dead (and counting) due to the fact that Russia groomed and installed a Manchurian (or is it more properly a'Siberian") candidate that has done what is arguably more lasting harm to the US than the Nazi's did to us in WWII. 

What? you mean something along the lines of

Stupid Americans knowingly chose the worst, vainest, greediest, big mouthed, corrupt and Russia connected "Businessman"  in History and made him POTUS

and

"It's Russia's fault, lets make us a WAR"

'spose theirs been shonkier reasons for the USA to go to war than sour grapes and sulking

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

What? you mean something along the lines of

Stupid Americans knowingly chose the worst, vainest, greediest, big mouthed, corrupt and Russia connected "Businessman"  in History and made him POTUS

and

"It's Russia's fault, lets make us a WAR"

'spose theirs been shonkier reasons for the USA to go to war than sour grapes and sulking

Yeah, have to agree - this one is on you guys for being that gullible.

Face it were things reversed and you could put a US puppet in charge of Russia, you'd do it in a heartbeat. Not like you don't have form, after all. Decade after decade of form.

So suck it up, sunshine. If this is true, you guys earned it.

FKT

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

Yeah, right, we all saw how simple it was to subpoena these crooks then have them simply show up and tell the truth. The trail to the KGB would hit a multitude of dead ends before lunch. When an official becomes an asset they  are usually unaware themselves. Now imagine Trump being unaware of reality...could have happened? A congressional investigation would have gone nowhere. Our own spy agencies may know much, but they won’t tell, and probably shouldn’t.  

Obviously Moscow Mitch and gang would have ignored it anyway...while SCOTUS dithered and delayed on the investigative powers of the House. 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Face it were things reversed and you could put a US puppet in charge of Russia, you'd do it in a heartbeat. Not like you don't have form, after all. Decade after decade of form.

FKT

It's not "us guys" it's the Russpublicans. At this point they are the equivalent of a hostile foreign power attempting an armed invasion and fostering 5th column terrorists within.

As I've been saying in all the threads asking about "checks and balances," the Founding Fathers did not envision one party (mustering 45% of the vote) literally willing to destroy the country if they can't rule it as they wish.

- DSK

3 hours ago, Burning Man said:

If someone produced a paystub from the KGB/FSB listing Trump's pay for the year he would not have lost ONE Republican vote. They vary between not giving a shit and actually thinking it is a great idea.

I have two theories on why Nancy was so useless at investigating and impeaching and they are not exclusive of each other:

1. There is literally nothing that would get Republicans to vote for impeachment. NOTHING as in Trump sucking off Putin on live TV nothing. Apparently trying to have Mike Pence killed on live TV doesn't even move the needle.

2. There is so much more we don't know going on with Russia that Nancy is/was too terrified to bring it to the light of day because of how bad and widespread it is.

Take your pick, 1, 2, or both.

I've been saying this for 5 years. But nobody listens to me. Ever. Even when I was a kid, all the adults  ignored me. My childhood "friends" couldn't hear me, and even the dogs and cats would pretend that I didn't exist.

Now.... Still no one listens.

That's OK. I'll die alone, in the dark, with a deaf cat and dog beside me with full bowls of food.

8 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

If someone produced a paystub from the KGB/FSB listing Trump's pay for the year he would not have lost ONE Republican vote. They vary between not giving a shit and actually thinking it is a great idea.

I have two theories on why Nancy was so useless at investigating and impeaching and they are not exclusive of each other:

1. There is literally nothing that would get Republicans to vote for impeachment. NOTHING as in Trump sucking off Putin on live TV nothing. Apparently trying to have Mike Pence killed on live TV doesn't even move the needle.

2. There is so much more we don't know going on with Russia that Nancy is/was too terrified to bring it to the light of day because of how bad and widespread it is.

#1 is definitely true. We're seeing it play out now.

I'm not sure it's so much "Trump is innocent... just because" as it is ANY TeamR! player must be innocent. Especially ones that bring in lots of votes and really piss off liberals, progressives, and Democrats.

Certainly a possibility of 2, especially with what we're seeing in Republicans... Trumpublicans... Russpublican... take your pick... willingness to court terrorism and essentially declare themselves outside the Constitution and outside the constraints of democracy.

- DSK

57 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I've been saying this for 5 years. But nobody listens to me. Ever. Even when I was a kid, all the adults  ignored me. My childhood "friends" couldn't hear me, and even the dogs and cats would pretend that I didn't exist.

That's OK. I'll die alone, in the dark, with a deaf cat and dog beside me with full bowls of food.

Am I supposed to "like" this post? :D

2 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:
1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Am I supposed to "like" this post? :D

No, you're supposed to remind him to leave a can opener for the pets, for when the bowls are empty.

4 hours ago, Burning Man said:

The Senate might as well issue these shirts to the GOP elk.

9b2_717trump1-3-800x430.jpg

3 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

They did - his name was Yeltsin. Because of that debacle they put Putin in charge.

3 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Face it were things reversed and you could put a US puppet in charge of Russia

You are talking Yeltsin, right ?? 

No way was Trump made a Russian "asset".

He was way too stupid and volatile for that.

He was merely the ultimate useful idiot.

Putin did more damage to the States via that fool than all the trillions of rubles his predecessors spent on the entire cold war ever did.

5 minutes ago, Battlecheese said:

They did - his name was Yeltsin. 

From the department of brilliant minds thinking sorta similarly: Did not see your post before I wrote mine just above . . 

Heh

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

No way was Trump made a Russian "asset".

He was way too stupid and volatile for that.

He was merely the ultimate useful idiot.

Putin did more damage to the States via that fool than all the trillions of rubles his predecessors spent on the entire cold war ever did.

Yeah  - no way he follows precise orders. They just wind him up and point him in the general direction :rolleyes:

Doubt it was due just to the Rooskies, 

but the Drumph was stunningly successful at 

gravely damaging our sorry-assed ol' republic. 

Hate to rain on your collective parades, but I suggest youse read this Guardian review of Unger's previous offering.

"House of Trump, House of Putin" published 2018.

Is it just possible that Mr Unger is just 'ungry for mo' money?

As for the timing, he (or his publishers) was probably hedging his bets to see who won. 

If Trump had won, a later release may have sold more copies, A trump loss means he has to get sales while Trump is still mildly warm.

Call me a cynic.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/aug/20/house-of-trump-house-of-putin-by-craig-unger-review

Shaun Walker is the Guardian's central and eastern Europe correspondent. Previously, he spent more than a decade in Moscow and is the author of The Long Hangover: Putin's New Russia and the Ghosts of the Past

As far as can be made out from the book, Unger did not travel to Russia himself, nor did he carry out more than a handful of his own interviews. As a former Moscow correspondent, most of the information, sources and colourful nuggets made familiar reading. There were also a few minor but grating errors when it came to Moscow geography and chronology.

I’m much less acquainted with the US milieu than with the Russia side of the narrative, and found the profiles of Trump’s lawyer Michael Cohen and long-standing associate Felix Sater to be well researched, fascinating and damning – though even here, almost every time I followed a footnote to check the source of a particularly pleasing factoid or anecdote, I found a link to an old newspaper or magazine story rather than information the author had dug out via interviews or his own sleuthing.

The meeting of the two narrative strands, when it came after many drumrolls, was largely unsatisfying. To those who have followed the saga closely the questions are well known; it’s the answers that remain elusive. Unger does little to add to our knowledge, as he runs over the greatest hits of the collusion narrative: Trump’s first trip to Moscow in the late 1980s; the strange number of meetings between ambassador Sergey Kislyak and members of the Trump team in the run-up to the election; the meeting at Trump Tower between well-connected lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya and Donald Trump Jr.

His key argument requires many qualifiers in the final summation (possibly after the intervention of libel lawyers): “Mogilevich and the Russian mafia’s compromising of Trump had begun by possibly using Trump real estate to launder their money,” he writes. “They had ensnared him with some form of kompromat, most likely, though exactly what form is unclear.”

To be fair to Unger, when the evidence trail goes cold he tends to admit it rather than make giant speculative leaps. The true extent of Russian involvement in Trump’s rise to the presidency may only become known when the Russian intelligence services open up their archives, which may be never.

Expecting any author to come up with the definitive story on Trump and Russia at this stage is therefore unrealistic. This is a highly competent collation of what we already know. But that only serves as a reminder of just how numerous and troubling those links are.

My main problem with the book is the subtitle’s promise to deliver the “untold story” of Trump and Putin. Given the non-disclosure agreement I had to sign to see the text for review, and the leaks of the book’s “bombshell” revelations to tabloid newspapers, it now feels like an exaggeration worthy of Trump himself.

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

As I've been saying in all the threads asking about "checks and balances," the Founding Fathers did not envision one party (mustering 45% of the vote) literally willing to destroy the country if they can't rule it as they wish.

Sure they did....... they named it the 2nd Amendment.  

9 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

And all the 2A militia are lining up behind the usurper. What the fuck is that all about?

22 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Doubt it was due just to the Rooskies, 

but the Drumph was stunningly successful at 

gravely damaging our sorry-assed ol' republic. 

This is undoubtedly true. He fucked the dog bigger & better than anyone ever in the history of US Presidents. Those Republicans who don't vote in favour of impeachment are also culpable of putting their personal and party interests way ahead of their country's. I hope they too go out into ignominy.

FKT

2 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I have no idea why Nancy was so useless at either one.  But neither of your theories make rational sense as a reason to keep quiet.  I have said all along that the impeachment trial was not and never was about getting Senate R votes.  The audience for the impeachment hearings and subsequent senate trial was and always will be the American people.  I have said over and over that the more you dig up and indict the shitstain for, and the numerous and more egregious the charges are the better.  It's psychology aimed at the simpletons masses.  1 or 2 counts of something garners a "meh".  But if you throw the kitchen sink in there and have 69 counts of wrongdoing to show to the real jury (The People), then all that smoke makes them question if there actually was some fire there.  The impeachment part 1 came off to the American public as sausage making.  A big meh.  But if Nance had thrown in a bunch of other shit, especially stuff that hit home to the working class - like his enriching himself off his emoluments BS - some folks might have started to question if there was a "there" there.  Same with the insurrection BS.  It should have all been tied together with the lies about the stolen election, obvious vote tampering, etc.  

If you get enough outrage there in middle "murica that this guy might actually be a douchebag - they then put pressure on their senators to vote the right way.  The impeachment(s) were and always are about selling it to the people.  Get enough senators 'fraid for their seat and they'll vote anyway you want them too.  There are always going to be some deplorables that won't believe anything.  But I think with enough overwhelming eva dents - you could have peeled some R senators away from the party line.  Hell, even Mitch is likely to vote to convict.  

39 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

I have no idea why Nancy was so useless at either one.  But neither of your theories make rational sense as a reason to keep quiet.  I have said all along that the impeachment trial was not and never was about getting Senate R votes.  The audience for the impeachment hearings and subsequent senate trial was and always will be the American people.  I have said over and over that the more you dig up and indict the shitstain for, and the numerous and more egregious the charges are the better.  It's psychology aimed at the simpletons masses.  1 or 2 counts of something garners a "meh".  But if you throw the kitchen sink in there and have 69 counts of wrongdoing to show to the real jury (The People), then all that smoke makes them question if there actually was some fire there.  The impeachment part 1 came off to the American public as sausage making.  A big meh.  But if Nance had thrown in a bunch of other shit, especially stuff that hit home to the working class - like his enriching himself off his emoluments BS - some folks might have started to question if there was a "there" there.  Same with the insurrection BS.  It should have all been tied together with the lies about the stolen election, obvious vote tampering, etc.  

If you get enough outrage there in middle "murica that this guy might actually be a douchebag - they then put pressure on their senators to vote the right way.  The impeachment(s) were and always are about selling it to the people.  Get enough senators 'fraid for their seat and they'll vote anyway you want them too.  There are always going to be some deplorables that won't believe anything.  But I think with enough overwhelming eva dents - you could have peeled some R senators away from the party line.  Hell, even Mitch is likely to vote to convict.  

Doubtful. The Republican Party is rotten to the core. I can smell the corpse decomposing from here. 

1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

Like so many of the elk, you left out the "well regulated" part.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

And all the 2A militia are lining up behind the usurper. What the fuck is that all about?

Exactly what is predicted by the stupidity of misinterpreting the 2A. Again.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, phillysailor said:

Why didn’t the author cash in a year ago? Odd timing. 

Why didn’t he report it to the FBI as soon as he found out?

Why didn’t the FBI know, and if it was reported, why didn’t they act..... A long time ago?

I have no idea why Nancy was so useless at either one

Probably an acknowledgement to the short attention span of the target audience and senators?

11 hours ago, phillysailor said:

The Qtips are gonna be pissed they’ve been supporting a pedophile :angry:... or perhaps they will just rewrite the narrative, putting Trump undercover in a hero’s tale. :lol:

would you be surprised if they simply rationalize it, similar to so many evangelicals having played the 'god sent a flawed man to do his bidding' angle when asked why they support a dirty ratfuck like the dotard.

mental asylum shit, but the 'patients' are mostly willful assholes and bottom feeders.

6 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Amazing. It's all Pelosi's fault that the Republican dominated Senate refused to impeach a mob boss.

6 hours ago, Burning Man said:

It's psychology aimed at the simpletons masses.  1 or 2 counts of something garners a "meh".  But if you throw the kitchen sink in there and have 69 counts of wrongdoing to show to the real jury (The People), then all that smoke makes them question if there actually was some fire there.

I'll have to disagree.

Trumps whole defensive strategy was doing something even more outrageous the very next day, so everyone would forget about the previous scandal and it never really got judged.

He completely overloaded peoples ability to deal with bullshit by throwing so much crap at them, that individual pieces of shit blurred into "just another day of Trump in office".

He commited so many acts lacking basic decency, I can't even try to remember half of them.

Twittering all day and firing people via social media alone should have given anyone a clue he was unfit to be president. Remember when that was a thing? Completely pales in comparision to the shit that came after, of course.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, badlatitude said:

...by saving him from financial ruin and turned him into a Russian asset who gave Putin 'everything he wanted' as president. 

(DailyMail) Donald Trump was cultivated as a Russian asset more than 40 years ago which exploded into a decades-long 'relationship' of mutual benefit to both Russia and Trump, a shocking new book claims.  

Trump was rescued multiple times from multiple bankruptcies by boatloads of Russian cash laundered through his real estate in the 80s and 90s, the author asserts. Russian money also picked up the tab for buildings franchised under Trump's name. 

An invitation to Russia by a high-level KGB official in 1987 under the guise of a preliminary scouting trip to build a Trump hotel in Moscow, was in fact 'deep development' by KGB handlers that furthered creating secret back channels and allowed the Russians to influence and damage American democracy, the author claims. 

When Trump became President, it was time to pay the piper and Trump gave Putin everything he wanted, the author writes. Author Craig Unger makes the revelations in his new book, American Kompromat, How the KGB Cultivated Donald Trump, and Related Tales of Sex, Greed, Power and Treachery. Unger is a journatist and author of six books, including the New York Times bestsellers House of Bush, House of Saud, and House of Trump, House of Putin. 

Read More: 
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9184687/How-Russia-began-grooming-Donald-Trump-40-years-ago-saving-financial-ruin-book-claims.html

See this Ben....This is the media promoting the Trump is a Russian agent asset thing. Anyone who maintains a degree of objectivity stopped reading at "gave Putin everything he wanted".

13 hours ago, Burning Man said:

GOP will not vote for impeachment. It’s only inciting an insurrection, not committing perjury about a blowjob. Get your priorities straight. 

The Republican Party determines right and wrong on the basis of right and left. The rule of law, or even observable reality means nothing to these people. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Dog said:

See this Ben....This is the media promoting the Trump is a Russian agent thing. Anyone who maintains a degree of objectivity stopped reading at "gave Putin everything he wanted".

See this Ben? This is a bullshitter moving the football from asset to agent before the refs pull the players off of the pile. 

2 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

See this Ben? This is a bullshitter moving the football from asset to agent before the refs pull the players off of the pile. 

I edited it for you.

7 hours ago, Burning Man said:

I like the old notion that impeachment is a mechanism for removing a president for cause better than as means to influence public opinion..

15 hours ago, badlatitude said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqyQlnwtHW3xmZg9CECXl

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Burning Man said:

^^^ dumb as a rock

2 hours ago, mathystuff said:

I'll have to disagree.

Trumps whole defensive strategy was doing something even more outrageous the very next day, so everyone would forget about the previous scandal and it never really got judged.

He completely overloaded peoples ability to deal with bullshit by throwing so much crap at them, that individual pieces of shit blurred into "just another day of Trump in office".

He commited so many acts lacking basic decency, I can't even try to remember half of them.

Twittering all day and firing people via social media alone should have given anyone a clue he was unfit to be president. Remember when that was a thing? Completely pales in comparision to the shit that came after, of course.

You start out by taking a bite of the elephants ear. Then another bite. Then another.

If you didn't stop at the first dozen bites, you might as well keep going. And of course, when you're swallowing the elephants tail, it's pointless to say the right or worng of eating a whole elephant.

- DSK

3 hours ago, mathystuff said:

I'll have to disagree.

The Bannon play. Flood the zone with bullshit. We see it every day here with @Dog and the litter of bullshitters. 

10 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Hate to rain on your collective parades, but I suggest youse read this Guardian review of Unger's previous offering.

"House of Trump, House of Putin" published 2018.

Is it just possible that Mr Unger is just 'ungry for mo' money?

As for the timing, he (or his publishers) was probably hedging his bets to see who won. 

If Trump had won, a later release may have sold more copies, A trump loss means he has to get sales while Trump is still mildly warm.

Call me a cynic.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/aug/20/house-of-trump-house-of-putin-by-craig-unger-review

Shaun Walker is the Guardian's central and eastern Europe correspondent. Previously, he spent more than a decade in Moscow and is the author of The Long Hangover: Putin's New Russia and the Ghosts of the Past

As far as can be made out from the book, Unger did not travel to Russia himself, nor did he carry out more than a handful of his own interviews. As a former Moscow correspondent, most of the information, sources and colourful nuggets made familiar reading. There were also a few minor but grating errors when it came to Moscow geography and chronology.

I’m much less acquainted with the US milieu than with the Russia side of the narrative, and found the profiles of Trump’s lawyer Michael Cohen and long-standing associate Felix Sater to be well researched, fascinating and damning – though even here, almost every time I followed a footnote to check the source of a particularly pleasing factoid or anecdote, I found a link to an old newspaper or magazine story rather than information the author had dug out via interviews or his own sleuthing.

The meeting of the two narrative strands, when it came after many drumrolls, was largely unsatisfying. To those who have followed the saga closely the questions are well known; it’s the answers that remain elusive. Unger does little to add to our knowledge, as he runs over the greatest hits of the collusion narrative: Trump’s first trip to Moscow in the late 1980s; the strange number of meetings between ambassador Sergey Kislyak and members of the Trump team in the run-up to the election; the meeting at Trump Tower between well-connected lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya and Donald Trump Jr.

His key argument requires many qualifiers in the final summation (possibly after the intervention of libel lawyers): “Mogilevich and the Russian mafia’s compromising of Trump had begun by possibly using Trump real estate to launder their money,” he writes. “They had ensnared him with some form of kompromat, most likely, though exactly what form is unclear.”

To be fair to Unger, when the evidence trail goes cold he tends to admit it rather than make giant speculative leaps. The true extent of Russian involvement in Trump’s rise to the presidency may only become known when the Russian intelligence services open up their archives, which may be never.

Expecting any author to come up with the definitive story on Trump and Russia at this stage is therefore unrealistic. This is a highly competent collation of what we already know. But that only serves as a reminder of just how numerous and troubling those links are.

My main problem with the book is the subtitle’s promise to deliver the “untold story” of Trump and Putin. Given the non-disclosure agreement I had to sign to see the text for review, and the leaks of the book’s “bombshell” revelations to tabloid newspapers, it now feels like an exaggeration worthy of Trump himself.

The reviewer is not saying that Unger is a whackadoodle making stuff up. I think the key sentences are those I noted above.

38 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

The Bannon play. Flood the zone with bullshit. We see it every day here with @Dog and the litter of bullshitters. 

Ha...That the KGB had been grooming Trump for 40 years is not the bullshit here....right.

1 hour ago, Not for nothing said:

Why are these things almost always white? Can't they afford the upgrade for coloured gelcoat or Awlgrip?

8 hours ago, Sidecar said:

Why didn’t he report it to the FBI as soon as he found out?

Why didn’t the FBI know, and if it was reported, why didn’t they act..... A long time ago?

I was curious about this too. The author isn't under any legal obligation to report what he uncovered in this case, and if he was interviewing FBI sources all along, then they obviously knew the subject of his book.

From that point, there are only really three main possibilities that I can see ...  Trump's collusion was was sufficiently legal that nothing could be done about it, regardless the major ethical problems, or it was sufficiently illegal that something could have been done, but the FBI chose not to act, or the book's research was sensationalized and without sufficient evidence to put it on the radar of the FBI.

I've no idea, but it seems there were a lot of signs pointing a close friendship with Russia, and investments there, that it seems if nothing else, there were some major ethical violations ... not quite on the level of what Cheney did in Iraq by privatizing hundreds of billions of U.S. tax dollars, but serious regardless.

18 hours ago, Mid said:

Does the Democratic Party hold the House of Representatives, the Senate and the Presidency of the USA?  Yes.  Now act like it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dog said:

Ha...That the KGB had been grooming Trump for 40 years is not the bullshit here....right.

You need to carry little bags around to collect your poop.  Sorry to be just saying the obvious to the clown, I need to lay off the coffee.

9 hours ago, Dog said:

Anyone who maintains a degree of objectivity stopped reading at "gave Putin everything he wanted".

i kept reading

i keep a very good grip on objectivity

don't beg the question .. it's a poor way of debating your points

for whatever reason's trump got voted in it was a good example of what should never be allowed to happen in a western style democracy

incompetence / dishonesty / duplicity / fraud / corruption .... all got a huge workout during his term 

prior to his election the world view of usaians would have been 7-8 for average level of intelligence ... most would now put that in the 4-5 range... and that will not change for decades

• Like 1
1 minute ago, phill_nz said:

i kept reading

i keep a very good grip on objectivity

don't beg the question .. it's a poor way of debating your points

for whatever reason's trump got voted in it was a good example of what should never be allowed to happen in a western style democracy

incompetence / dishonesty / duplicity / fraud / corruption .... all got a huge workout during his term 

:mehthis:

It's a strange legal system you have there. 

Anywhere else he'd have been prosecuted multiple times already for fraud, corruption etc and ineligible to run for dog catcher . Your wealthy class seem to be born with a "get out of gaol free" card. 

The "Civil system" has a lot to answer for.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Amazing. It's all Pelosi's fault that the Republican dominated Senate refused to impeach a THEIR OWN mob boss.

For accuracies sake.  

On 1/28/2021 at 8:11 AM, mikewof said:

Cripes ... Polonium 210 is some horribly nasty shit, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I worked with it for a few days in scintillation experiments,

Just added that one to Mikey's list he is now officially 247 years old and has had 87 jobs in that time.

Amazing life.

On 1/27/2021 at 10:12 PM, Burning Man said:

The US were played, voted for him and lost.................. probably better to spend the time cleaning house and not be so gullible.

On 1/28/2021 at 4:05 AM, Ishmael said:
On 1/28/2021 at 3:55 AM, Burning Man said:

That's where it back fired on them.  :wacko:

On 1/29/2021 at 10:03 AM, rastro said:
On 1/27/2021 at 10:11 PM, mikewof said:

Cripes ... Polonium 210 is some horribly nasty shit, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I worked with it for a few days in scintillation experiments,

Just added that one to Mikey's list he is now officially 247 years old and has had 87 jobs in that time.

Amazing life.

Its fucking staggering the amount of life experiences Wofsey has.:lol:

Novichok next month, just wait.