Joe stops arms trade to Saudi and UAE

The Biden administration has paused arms sales to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates as it conducts a wider review of agreements worth billions of dollars made by the Trump administration, sources familiar with the matter told CNN yesterday.
Secretary of State Tony Blinken confirmed pending arms sales are under review, as is typical at the start of a new administration, "to make sure that what is being considered is something that advances our strategic objectives, and advances our foreign policy."

Ok it's a nothing burger but I thought someone should give Joe a mention this week. :)

Lets stop supporting the middle east war machines, I wonder how much $$ we really spent directly or indirectly ( our navy) to support the Sheiks of the area and of course Exxon ,

I think this why the GOP doesn't believe in global warming,

This will be a big push back from both sides of the aisle.  The companies that make the parts that go into those weapons are scattered everywhere.  If Biden goes with it then it's going to affect the elections in 2 years.

Of course, morally, I'm sick of the military industrial complex.

That said, I have a General Dynamics tank facility 10 miles away.

1 minute ago, Grrr... said:

This will be a big push back from both sides of the aisle.  The companies that make the parts that go into those weapons are scattered everywhere.  If Biden goes with it then it's going to affect the elections in 2 years.

I'm hoping the Democratic administration isn't looking at power in the future.  If they use their power now, in positive ways, the future might take care of itself.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, hasher said:

I'm hoping the Democratic administration isn't looking at power in the future.  If they use their power now, in positive ways, the future might take care of itself.

I'd like to think so to.  But if we think about it that way, then the Democrats have exactly 2 years before the Republicans own the senate and perhaps even the house.

Just now, Grrr... said:

I'd like to think so to.  But if we think about it that way, then the Democrats have exactly 2 years before the Republicans own the senate and perhaps even the house.

Did Georgia vote blue?  The future is wide open.  Now is not the time for caution.  We need a new deal for all of the Americans left behind.  Fuck the corporate gravy train.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, hasher said:

Did Georgia vote blue?  The future is wide open.  Now is not the time for caution.  We need a new deal for all of the Americans left behind.  Fuck the corporate gravy train.

I keep reading insider operatives saying that a new administration has 2 maybe 3 bullets to use before the politics starts crashing on their heads.  They've already shot one with impeachment, what should they use the rest for? Shore up the ACA? Paris? Iran nuclear? Immigration? Tax reform?  

1 minute ago, learningJ24 said:

I keep reading insider operatives saying that a new administration has 2 maybe 3 bullets to use before the politics starts crashing on their heads.  They've already shot one with impeachment, what should they use the rest for? Shore up the ACA? Paris? Iran nuclear? Immigration? Tax reform?  

We need to stop reading "insiders" and think outside the box.  Apple keeps their billions off shore.  It is not to the benefit of our population to fill their pockets.  Corporate welfare needs to stop.  The name that needs not to be mentioned tapped into a legitimate concern.  It can be done without the racist, sexist and isolationism rhetoric.

5 minutes ago, learningJ24 said:

Honestly, I’d like to see them do something that’s actually useful and push for at least basic socialized healthcare. Unfortunately, they seem to have tunnel vision and only care about anything to do with a shitbag that isn’t even in office anymore. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Not for nothing said:

Lets stop supporting the middle east war machines, I wonder how much $$ we really spent directly or indirectly ( our navy) to support the Sheiks of the area and of course Exxon ,

I think this why the GOP doesn't believe in global warming,

Do you know why the US and Western European countries support some middle east countries and not others? 

My first reaction was Holy Shit.

That's also my 2nd reaction.

3rd reaction is Holy Shit, a way to defuse tensions with Iran AND smack those fuckers in Arablandia around the head that there's a new sheriff in town.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Cristoforo said:

Do you know why the US and Western European countries support some middle east countries and not others? 

Please look the other way when our "friends" cut people up because of their critiques.

Have my idea's , but if you know, I'll listen

2 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

The Biden administration has paused arms sales to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates as it conducts a wider review of agreements worth billions of dollars made by the Trump administration, sources familiar with the matter told CNN yesterday.
Secretary of State Tony Blinken confirmed pending arms sales are under review, as is typical at the start of a new administration, "to make sure that what is being considered is something that advances our strategic objectives, and advances our foreign policy."

Ok it's a nothing burger but I thought someone should give Joe a mention this week. :)

Meli, 
When does Australia plan on ceasing weapons sales to UAE and Saudi Arabia? 

2 minutes ago, hasher said:

Please look the other way when our "friends" cut people up because of their critiques.

Yes it’s unfortunate that sometimes the enemy of your enemy is your friend. 
Saudis certainly need a smack down and if someone with more brains than Trump was involved it would have already been done with some tact. Of course he lied about everything, even the amount of the contract. And exonerated MBS just as he did Putin, Kim, and any other dictator.  It’s good Biden will show the Saudis and others he isn’t a pussy at least. 

11 minutes ago, hasher said:

We need to stop reading "insiders" and think outside the box.  Apple keeps their billions off shore.  It is not to the benefit of our population to fill their pockets.  Corporate welfare needs to stop.  The name that needs not to be mentioned tapped into a legitimate concern.  It can be done without the racist, sexist and isolationism rhetoric.

Not arguing about the need to stop, but how? You can "think outside the box" but to make things happen you have to work IN the box. Playing the hand you have instead of the hand you want is what moves the program. 

5 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

Have my idea's , but if you know, I'll listen

Nah, it’s more fun watching millenials running around shouting ‘Exxon!’ While they are happy to hold the stock in their retirement accounts. 

I think we should sell as many F-35s to SA and the UAE we can. At $100M a pop, they are a great way to support White Welfare and ensure limited combat.

Yes it’s unfortunate that sometimes the enemy of your enemy is your friend. 
Saudis certainly need a smack down and if someone with more brains than Trump was involved it would have already been done with some tact. Of course he lied about everything, even the amount of the contract. And exonerated MBS just as he did Putin, Kim, and any other dictator.  It’s good Biden will show the Saudis and others he isn’t a pussy at least. 

The USA is a strong country.  Being a bully won't help us.  Choosing friends carefully remains important.  Diplomacy needs to rise to the top.  Easy solutions elude the most astute.  Dropping bombs settles little.

3 minutes ago, learningJ24 said:

Not arguing about the need to stop, but how? You can "think outside the box" but to make things happen you have to work IN the box. Playing the hand you have instead of the hand you want is what moves the program. 

We need to draw our own inclusive box.  It is not difficult to see the needs and address them.

Of course Meli’s hysterical thread title was misleading.  Arms sales have not stopped. As the quote says they are under review which is standard procedure upon US regime changes. If they back off Yemen a bit and stop openly chopping up journalists, they are expected to continue. 

16 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:
17 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

Nah, it’s more fun watching millenials running around shouting ‘Exxon!’ While they are happy to hold the stock in their retirement accounts. 

If millennials were smart they be buying Telsa or NIO,  

iiiif

1 hour ago, Grrr... said:

That said, I have a General Dynamics tank facility 10 miles away.

True capitalists (hallowed be the name) who make their profits by selling to the gubmint are proficient at spreading the jobs around by having parts built in as many congressional districts as possible. 

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

True capitalists (hallowed be the name) who make their profits by selling to the gubmint are proficient at spreading the jobs around by having parts built in as many congressional districts as possible. 

Yeah.  The F-35 comes to mind.  And the Ridgeline.

4 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

Of course Meli’s hysterical thread title was misleading.  Arms sales have not stopped. As the quote says they are under review which is standard procedure upon US regime changes. If they back off Yemen a bit and stop openly chopping up journalists, they are expected to continue. 

It caught one fish :D

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

It caught one fish :D

Uhh. No. it just called out bullshit 
Why don’t you tell us about Aussie sales to S.A.? 
You are a one trick pony in a 3 hole world. 

I'm sure you are all waiting with baited breath for the Vets Fer Peace perspective on this  . .  

or not . . .   but anyway 

A rational USG that had it's own and the world's interests at heart 

would suspend military aid and arms sales to Israel immediately 

(Seriously - speaking only for myself here . .)