Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I've got an old Unicorn Acat.  The dacron tramp is toast.  What is a good modern material for making a new one?  My sailmaker gave me a quote, not a bad price either, but this free boat and I dont want spend to much on it, so likely will make it myself.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Go to sailrite.com and search for trampoline fabric.  None of it is cheap but if you have a heavy duty sewing machine, a tramp isn't hard to make.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Black Polypropylene trampoline mesh is the best for boats like yours.  Strong, low stretch, good drainage, good U/V resistance, economical. Just make sure they get sewn with good thread, Tenara and/or heavy Dacron.  A good tramp will last 10 years or more.  Keeping it covered will greatly extend its lifespan!  

9BD5BAE0-A738-447A-9D8D-90B4C0A7E96E.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for help.  My sewing machine should cope with a #20 needle, ive used it on webbing before.  20210126_102831.thumb.jpg.8d722de3999e47bdadfc3f0b3d3cc022.jpg I only need 2 pieces 32" x 90" so 3 yards at 72" with isn't so bad.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, revintage said:

Exactly the same polypropylene mesh is used for jumping trampolines, but it is sold a lot cheaper. 

so where do you get it?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Irish River said:

Thanks for help.  My sewing machine should cope with a #20 needle, ive used it on webbing before.  20210126_102831.thumb.jpg.8d722de3999e47bdadfc3f0b3d3cc022.jpg I only need 2 pieces 32" x 90" so 3 yards at 72" with isn't so bad.  

think about building it on the diagonal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TwoBirds said:

so where do you get it?

 

Bought NOS spares from the Swedish Jumpking wholesaler. Even found one where the fittings of three sides could be used. Only had to shorten it to fit the main beam.

net.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I built a replacement tramp for my Flyer with 10oz Supercruise Dacron. Sealed for a decksweeper. Glued to the front beam with G/Flex or 5200. Tenara thread is really expensive, so I used the next grade down and keep the tramp covered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2021 at 9:24 PM, JMOD said:

do it ac45 style and make it out of 3DL. connect with a big keelboat race program and ask for an old main

Don't do it, anything with a shiny surface and water on becomes slippery as an ice skating ring at 20 degrees tilt.

I have heard of some mainsail tramps having to be treated with " Sex Wax " and I bet a few nudge nudge wink wink stories could be told about that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Waynemarlow said:

Don't do it, anything with a shiny surface and water on becomes slippery as an ice skating ring at 20 degrees tilt.

I have heard of some mainsail tramps having to be treated with " Sex Wax " and I bet a few nudge nudge wink wink stories could be told about that.

Not an issue, put some 3mm EVA non-skid on the tramp.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/02/2021 at 1:24 PM, JMOD said:

do it ac45 style and make it out of 3DL. connect with a big keelboat race program and ask for an old main

3 Days Long. I've got/had those. Not a chance, my wife would kill me if I put the kids on that. She seen when it falls to bits. Plus I dont want to polute the lake with flakes of mylar as it disintegrates. Im not sacrificing a 3di either.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...