Somewhat fast boats with standing headroom

I'm curious if there is boats10m(32 feet 9.701 inches) hull length that have a headroom for a manlet like me{184cm(6 feet 0.441 inch))

Can you suggest any?

Also i find it quite inconvenient that most manufacturers don't mention standing headroom in their boats.

I'm interested in old and new boats.

1 hour ago, pironiero said:

I'm curious if there is boats10m(32 feet 9.701 inches) hull length that have a headroom for a manlet like me{184cm(6 feet 0.441 inch))

Can you suggest any?

Also i find it quite inconvenient that most manufacturers don't mention standing headroom in their boats.

I'm interested in old and new boats.

Shortly I will be listing a 36 foot custom built boat by Goetz that has higher headroom than 184cm(6 feet 0.441 inch); just keep checking SA Classifieds.

26 minutes ago, kinardly said:

Where are you? I'm 6-4 and had standing headroom in most of the cabin of our Yamaha 33 but I think they only sold those in the US West Coast, Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong.

Tell me more about Yamaha.....do only race it?  Cruise?  Both?  It's somewhere on my list and wouldn't mind if it moved up a few spots.  There's a couple for sale nearby. 

6 hours ago, kinardly said:

Where are you? I'm 6-4 and had standing headroom in most of the cabin of our Yamaha 33 but I think they only sold those in the US West Coast, Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong.

Russia

But the whole point of this topic if trying to find one, either new or old

2 hours ago, Alberta said:

My vote as well. You aren’t going to get standing headroom in the other new fast 30ish footers

There are lots of 30ers with 6’ standing headroom. A 30er  with 6’ headroom is going to look chunky.  Do you want to look back at your boat as you walk away from her after a sail and see a chunky boat?  

• Like 1
On 1/30/2021 at 1:07 PM, danstanford said:

J/99

I am 182 cms and do not have standing headroom in the J/99 or sitting headroom at the chart table, which was slightly disturbing.

The best IRC short-handed 30ish footer is hands down the JPK 1010, it's fast, well-thought, has plenty of headroom and comfort features.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Sebyseb said:

I am 182 cms and do not have standing headroom in the J/99 or sitting headroom at the chart table, which was slightly disturbing.

The best IRC short-handed 30ish footer is hands down the JPK 1010, it's fast, well-thought, has plenty of headroom and comfort features.

Holy fucking shit, that's so expensive, found 2 for around 168k$

On 1/30/2021 at 9:47 PM, Amati said:

There are lots of 30ers with 6’ standing headroom. A 30er  with 6’ headroom is going to look chunky.  Do you want to look back at your boat as you walk away from her after a sail and see a chunky boat?  

158309a38da96eeaa456392d35a599fa.png

6 hours ago, pironiero said:

I think we can comfortably check new boats off the list of contenders. The JPKs hold their value well, but are still pretty in line with the overall market for performance boats of that age. 

• Like 1

Its a good question about headroom, more modern boats have “solved” the headroom problem by increasing freeboard, older boats had high cabinsides but generally yachts look better if they are low as that gives the impression of length. Much easier to make a longer boat look good than a short one especially with trying to give headroom, still it can be done nicely. The sun fast series are pretty good compromises, and getting cheap now.

ill put it another way, Im 195cm, my boat has about 180- its doable. Your ambition exceeds your budget unless of course you want a 32 ft hanse/bavaria/jenneau shitter designed for fat fucks to sit on the marina in.

Go and have a look at a few boats, invest some time in reality because internet forums are useless in the opinionfest/best boat scenario. you may find your sistine chapel 32 footer but it will look like a block of flats because its too short, unless its really well designed for modern aesthetics which means spending money you aint got.

• Like 2
On 2/2/2021 at 8:52 PM, pironiero said:

SF3200 can be found fof 80k, Sunfast 32 @ 35K

2 hours ago, toad said:

ill put it another way, Im 195cm, my boat has about 180- its doable. Your ambition exceeds your budget unless of course you want a 32 ft hanse/bavaria/jenneau shitter designed for fat fucks to sit on the marina in.

Go and have a look at a few boats, invest some time in reality because internet forums are useless in the opinionfest/best boat scenario. you may find your sistine chapel 32 footer but it will look like a block of flats because its too short, unless its really well designed for modern aesthetics which means spending money you aint got.

Correct.

In the 30 - 32 range, you need enough hull in the water for standing headroom, if you don't want skyscrapers as deckhouse. That contradicts fast.

On 1/30/2021 at 10:47 AM, Amati said:

20160309_163758.thumb.jpg.5d8d71cb53b7ca9c964240a3510e072d.jpg

i'm 6' and that's a bene 34.7 / 10R.

There's a few in Estionia, so not toohorribly  far from the poster

Clue is in the name... 34.7, ie 15% bigger than a 30’ er. And it’s a little chunky as well. 

if you take a look at my avatar pic you  will see a 30’ er with about 5’9” headroom that still looks chunky due to lack of canoe body. 

10R = 10 meters or 32'9".....exactly what the OP was asking about, so I threw it in there.

The First 30 is in fact 30', but no knowledge of it's headroom

Neither looks chunky. They may not look like an Eggemoggin 47, Spirit or Eagle 44 but....

On the other hand, a nicely design cabin can be very comfortable even without 6’ headroom- for example, the Alerion 28-

Nice looking boat. Could someone please explain the use of that big swiveling appendage on the foredeck. I mean, I see that it’s a boom for the jib but does it’s usefulness really justify such a contraption?

17 minutes ago, mundt said:

Nice looking boat. Could someone please explain the use of that big swiveling appendage on the foredeck. I mean, I see that it’s a boom for the jib but does it’s usefulness really justify such a contraption?

Club-footed jibs aren't that uncommon. From Harbor 20s sailing in Newport Beach to Chris White cats. Good for single-handing. No need to run a separate barber hauler or a pole. 

The self tacking hoyt jib boom maintains a good sheeting angle of the leach from close hauled upwind to winged out downwind.  Battens cant really do it as well.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mundt said:

Think of it as a boom with a vang.  We have one on the 40er.  Downwind it’s the da bomb,  makes jibing really easy, and is close to a small assym in power, but has a huge wind angle.   Wing and wing, and jibing are fun.  Upwind?  I need to find a Hoyt Jib boom sail maker with experience and expertise, and also see what kind of tackle setup the boats that use them have.  You can get leach control, but it’s more about a clew card or an outhaul track or a clew loop on the jib boom.  (I hear that leach control can be automatic with the right sail cut) My K1 uses a dangly pole, which has more leech control, but gybing is not automatic. There’s a YouTube on another thread somewhere here about an open 60 RC model with foils that has an RC jib setup that’s close to a Hoyt jib that will give you a good idea how it all works.  It’s pretty cool.  Tacking downwind becomes a lot easier- automatic actually- you can tube on the gust lull sequence.  The Beirig jib looks cool, but it (and a vang on the forestay, inner and outer) put weird stresses on things, and makes a furling jib less convenient.

Not sure how fast you want to go but Columbia has 5'10" of headroom. A great perk after stepping off other boats with only a crawl space and in the same rating band.

I think the Tiger has roughly the same as well.

144319924.iGCwuuCZ._MG_6330.thumb.JPG.fe484b12f3466d9f98a8bc2080b1e6e2.JPG

On 2/10/2021 at 8:38 PM, Irrational 14 said:

Not sure how fast you want to go but Columbia has 5'10" of headroom. A great perk after stepping off other boats with only a crawl space and in the same rating band.

I think the Tiger has roughly the same as well.

144319924.iGCwuuCZ._MG_6330.thumb.JPG.fe484b12f3466d9f98a8bc2080b1e6e2.JPG

You mean 6`10 maybe? 

Why do multiple people ITT say the SF3200 or 3300 have 184cm headroom?

They have like that much headroom in pretty much the only place you don't want it, the aft cabins. The headroom in the saloon is like 170cm max.

Apparently all modern boat designers and builders are fucking migits, because not that long ago 6'2" headroom was standard in a 27 footer, now, almost no 33 foot boats have even 6' headroom.

On 2/5/2021 at 6:08 PM, pironiero said:

ive red somewhere that they have 180cm headroom at most

On 2/7/2021 at 12:08 PM, Parma said:

20160309_163758.thumb.jpg.5d8d71cb53b7ca9c964240a3510e072d.jpg

i'm 6' and that's a bene 34.7 / 10R.

There's a few in Estionia, so not toohorribly  far from the poster

Isn't that like 5'10" headroom? I'm 6'1 and wasn't close to standing straight upright in one.

1 hour ago, darth reapius said:

They have like that much headroom in pretty much the only place you don't want it, the aft cabins. The headroom in the saloon is like 170cm max.

I'm 185cm and have a SF3200. Whilst it certainly does not have 184cm, it's certainly not as low 170cm.

After having a SO40 with something like 190cm  it takes a bit to get used to but it's fine.

5 hours ago, canstead said:

So here's a tangent question.  How long do you need to go before you get head room and good looks?

Probably about 35' with a good designer. My C&C 110 has 6'3" or more headroom throughout, and does not look overly top heavy at all.

Image for reference, not mine, but not a bad looking boat considering it is a cruiser.

7104043_20190605145014168_2_XLARGE.jpg

7 hours ago, canstead said:

So here's a tangent question.  How long do you need to go before you get head room and good looks?

You can do it in just about any length, as long as you are willing to add displacement/shorten the waterline and get the cabin sole deeper in the water.  Otherwise I think the C&C above looks pretty good to my eye (in fact all the C&C 35s seem to have good proportions).

On 2/16/2021 at 11:17 AM, Goatish said:

Probably about 35' with a good designer. My C&C 110 has 6'3" or more headroom throughout, and does not look overly top heavy at all.

Image for reference, not mine, but not a bad looking boat considering it is a cruiser.

7104043_20190605145014168_2_XLARGE.jpg

almost every trick in the book, aesthetically- and they work on profile view

high freeboard hull with black toerail, and black paint, no cove stripe

slender streamlined windows low to the deck , no opening hatches on the cabin side

thick bright waterline stripe that draws eye down (x boats have really refined this approach)

lowish boom

sheer is incredibly well done, stays low at the stern

the only thing missing are long windows in the hull, which do work wonders 

canoe body draft is, 8-10”? So standing a bit lower than WL?

this boat with a white hull?

• Like 1
On 2/16/2021 at 1:40 AM, darth reapius said:

Apparently all modern boat designers and builders are fucking migits, because not that long ago 6'2" headroom was standard in a 27 footer, now, almost no 33 foot boats have even 6' headroom.

Isn't that like 5'10" headroom? I'm 6'1 and wasn't close to standing straight upright in one.

There's one place I can stand straight up, so that counts.

Otherwise, yeah it's 5'9", but that's not bad for a 33'er

1 hour ago, Parma said:

There's one place I can stand straight up, so that counts.

The only place I needed to stand was in the galley. The big hatch there (SC50) gives 4 inches of extra headroom closed, to the boom when open. Everywhere else was designed with 6’ 2” midgets in mind. But since I’ve installed the little wife unit the sitting headroom in my office and long bunks are all I need. I’m 6’ 5”. I have never thought headroom was a boat selection issue. Some much else is far more important to me. 

On 2/16/2021 at 4:55 PM, shaggyq said:

I have headroom on my pogo 30 from in the head to the galley, I am 182 cm. I think the pogo looks good on the water

B6B718C6-178D-490D-9D61-FADFC05064A7.thumb.jpeg.f59bd0497585e30aa89fc83f7e39a987.jpeg

Lovely boat. I’m impressed that they preserved that much headroom. A far cry from my pain box that maxes out at 175cm in a one sq ft area at the base of the companion way stairs. 

Since the OP said he had some Yamaha 33s in his area, suggest again taking a serious look if you like headroom with decent looks. Sunfast 32i rates 141 in NorCal and the Y33 is 144. Both are undoubtedly good choices but the Yamaha has to be a lot less expensive due to its age and boasts 193 CM in the rear of the main saloon, probably189 forward. Best construction and interior of any boat in that size that I ever experienced. 50/50 ballast to displacement for the Yamaha vs 27/73 for the Sunfast and they are within 150 KG of each other (roughly 4464 vs 4200KG) dry. You are thinking about single handing, right? That would sure be the deciding factor to me.

On 2/19/2021 at 2:54 AM, Alberta said:

Lovely boat. I’m impressed that they preserved that much headroom. A far cry from my pain box that maxes out at 175cm in a one sq ft area at the base of the companion way stairs. 

Structures are very smart, no floorboards means less freeboard, its just beautifully finished hull skin and structure, good for foot bracing too.  Everyone else will get there in 10 years or so.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, maxstaylock said:

Structures are very smart, no floorboards means less freeboard, its just beautifully finished hull skin and structure, good for foot bracing too.  Everyone else will get there in 10 years or so.

My Figaro is similar, but with a maze of tall stringers, ribs, and foil cases that make it a hands and knees affair down below. Headroom was sacrificed for flat decks, which is worth it for me, but still impressed by the 30 as a cruiser.

My Olson 40 has 6’ headroom. Faster than most mentioned here, and change hands for $50-$75k.

Much lighter than nearly anything with similar waterline, means it remains inexpensive. My full sail inventory in state-of-the-art materials is far under $20k. Carbon main and lapper, screecher and a3. Last two on order, been sailing it like a Cal-20, fast and fun.

Lapper means visibility under, never touches mast or shrouds, windward sheet is barberhauler. Amazing. Faster than wind speed in all directions under 6 knots with the lapper, including downwind. Lapper is fully battened so well behaved, and does wing-and-wing DDW without a pole.

Strong, plenty of storage, no hull or deck liners. Enclosed head, nice for cruising with friends and family.

• Like 2

Oh: carbon sails means no sail changes needed, same sails for glass calm to 20 knots plus. I’m in SoCal not SF Bay, but in Hurricane Gulch where high teens are common.

16 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

and 8ft longer than the op asked for ;)

This why you don't ask these questions IMO.

You ask a question on this forum like - "I need a race boat, 9m long max (to fit in my pen), no accommodation, designed to suit 1-2 crew for inshore windward leeward racing".

Gets answers like:

"Get a Hunter 32"

"Nah Melges 32 is way faster get one of those AND it sails to it's rating"

"I love my Beneteau First 30 (JK)"

"Nah First 36.7 will be way better to stay on at a regatta"

"Sunfast 3200 hands down"

When in reality, clearly the right answer to that question is JS9000.

• Like 2
On 2/28/2021 at 4:54 AM, darth reapius said:

This why you don't ask these questions IMO.

You ask a question on this forum like - "I need a race boat, 9m long max (to fit in my pen), no accommodation, designed to suit 1-2 crew for inshore windward leeward racing".

Gets answers like:

"Get a Hunter 32"

"Nah Melges 32 is way faster get one of those AND it sails to it's rating"

"I love my Beneteau First 30 (JK)"

"Nah First 36.7 will be way better to stay on at a regatta"

"Sunfast 3200 hands down"

When in reality, clearly the right answer to that question is JS9000.

Well, the OP didn't ask for that type of boat, did he? He asked which somewhat fast boats had good headroom. The JS9000 is a really nice day sailor but you aren't going to go below for anything more than a squirt in the porta potty while hunched over your navel.

6 hours ago, kinardly said:

Well, the OP didn't ask for that type of boat, did he? He asked which somewhat fast boats had good headroom. The JS9000 is a really nice day sailor but you aren't going to go below for anything more than a squirt in the porta potty while hunched over your navel.

Mine was just a random example, unrelated to OP's. Someone posted a JS9000 in the thread earlier, and I was poking fun at their post and people not answering the original thread correctly.

He asked for a 10m boat with standing headroom, and responses were for boats not matching his criteria.

I'd offer to help, but TBH, OP is in Russia... I think, and all my suggestions will be like, pending budgetary, Northshore 33 for cheap, Sydney 32 for expensive.

• Like 2
On 3/2/2021 at 8:20 AM, darth reapius said:

Northshore 33

https://youtu.be/LXI4qutPLn8 that's a nice boat.

On 3/2/2021 at 8:20 AM, darth reapius said:

I'd offer to help, but TBH, OP is in Russia... I think, and all my suggestions will be like, pending budgetary

kind of, we have 50% import fees...

The point of thi topic is to find a boat that will outweight this huge minus

Since it your Rubles... how about a Columbia (Carbon) 32 that can be towed behind your Ural hack. If you need headroom - get a hotel. Used they are coming in at under 60k with a trailer.

I've been quite keen on the cruiser/racer Hanse 315. It seems particularly seaworthy, which is high on my list of requirements as I actually intend to so some Pacific Ocean sailing. It doesn't have the fastest rating I've ever seen (I've been looking at a lot of racier boats lately and that Columbia Carbon 32 looks dead sexy), but it has the headroom and systems that I'd need to make it a reasonably comfortable liveaboard in an emergency. You can find some good condition used models in Europe, or if you're a madlad like me, a fully optioned new model is still a lot less than a crappy studio in the Bay Area. 

17 hours ago, Black Jack said:

Since it your Rubles... how about a Columbia (Carbon) 32 that can be towed behind your Ural hack. If you need headroom - get a hotel. Used they are coming in at under 60k with a trailer.

its a nice looking boat, but i know what i would buy if i didnt want standing headroom

On 3/12/2021 at 2:53 PM, pironiero said:

thats a really funny looking boat:mellow:

They are not traditional looking that is for sure. The bubble houses the lifting mechanism for the keel and gives it 6'2" headroom. She only draws 2' with the keel up making it trailerable. Rates around 149 under PHRF so somewhat fast but at 30' and only a 8' beam it is tender.

JJ

7 hours ago, johnsonjay17 said:

They are not traditional looking that is for sure. The bubble houses the lifting mechanism for the keel and gives it 6'2" headroom. She only draws 2' with the keel up making it trailerable. Rates around 149 under PHRF so somewhat fast but at 30' and only a 8' beam it is tender.

JJ

its thinness kind of reminds me of swede 55 and macgregor mushed together

also photos of this boat do not do its justice, its quite beautiful on video

• Like 1
On 3/13/2021 at 6:56 AM, pironiero said:

Thats a nice option, ill look into that, but are you sure it has standing headroom?

Absolutely.

I am 6' 1" and I had no problem in the main cabin. Fast little fucker too.  

And the 60 yr old owner who took me out for the day insisted on single handing it the entire time, setting and dumping the kite with ease. It was amazing how much less the loads are than the 40'er version. I did get to play, but he could sail it solo no probs.  

Used they are coming in at under 60k with a trailer.

Cite please....   I think the one that sold here a couple years ago was listed at $130k and got it from what I heard.

52 minutes ago, solosailor said:

Cite please....   I think the one that sold here a couple years ago was listed at $130k and got it from what I heard.

Heard Hull 1 went for that around the time we were just finishing the 1D35. It made for a somber weekend.

What does the OP/forum consider a somewhat fast boat? 

PHRF 75, 90, 115, 120, 150?

In yesterdays YRA double handed race with 86 boats - the difference between the fast(er) and the somewhat fast was not much as one would imagine.

https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=YRA_T006911464&DOC=r1&TYP=html

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 11.04.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 11.05.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 11.05.41 AM.png

On 3/13/2021 at 6:56 AM, pironiero said:

Thats a nice option, ill look into that, but are you sure it has standing headroom?

Hiya Pironiero,

Here ya go, this is the 30. The gent standing in the companionway is a tad taller than me (I'm 6'1").

Cheers,

SB

IMG_1282_zpskqob7vzs.thumb.jpg.1d2313cd2372a8710bac254a3302b9a8.jpg

2 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Hiya Pironiero,

Here ya go, this is the 30. The gent standing in the companionway is a tad taller than me (I'm 6'1").

Cheers,

SB

At sunset and morning, these Ozzie Pogos will run out onto the course which causes prudent or risk adverse skippers to slow down during those low light conditions.

image0 (1).png

• Like 1
16 hours ago, pironiero said:

its thinness kind of reminds me of swede 55 and macgregor mushed together

also photos of this boat do not do its justice, its quite beautiful on video

In Sweden they were sold as a Runn Racer 912 I think they were built in Keil Germany. I like the way they look but I might be biased since I own one.  As a ULDB they are very spartan inside.

JJ