Best Refit on the Youtube?.... did I spell refit correct:-?

I would argue "Free Range Sailing".....  A YouTube couple that have sailed around the Australian continent, on a low budget by eating off the sea!!!!!!!!   They have a well detailed.........  (right way of doing things..........  Patrick Childress kinda way:-) series of refit videos on the Youtube.   It is certainly worth a watch:-!!!!!  Am I wrong:-?   PLEASE  in SA fashion, TELL ME I AM:-!!!!!!!!!!   I love starting fun banter:-) 

• Like 3

Mads refit is way too OCD for my liking, The Free range guys are the real deal but my favourite refit was Follow The Boat's Thai (or was it Malaysian?) based refit series they put out a few years back. The Asian way of getting things done just added a dash of spice.

• Like 2

Jesus, I watched that guy's vids on the installation of his teak deck 2 years ago but then I dropped it. I can't believe he hasn't splashed yet. 

On 1/29/2021 at 2:28 PM, Fellowship said:

I would argue "Free Range Sailing".....  A YouTube couple that have sailed around the Australian continent, on a low budget by eating off the sea!!!!!!!!   They have a well detailed.........  (right way of doing things..........  Patrick Childress kinda way:-) series of refit videos on the Youtube.   It is certainly worth a watch:-!!!!!  Am I wrong:-?   PLEASE  in SA fashion, TELL ME I AM:-!!!!!!!!!!   I love starting fun banter:-) 

I've followed the FRS team for ages and loved their "Just do it" approach to cruising. They started out with an old, small boat that they said "cost the same amount as a second hand car". Now that they've attracted such a following/$ backers (based on the low cost cruising principle & great story-telling) they've fully upgraded every system, rebuilt and rerigged (using latest technology) and now have a boat that sits way outside the original concept....arguably overcapitalised. That said, they're a great extended cruising story and their approach to refits is meticulous...and can we really criticise them for capitalising on their story-telling/fund-raising success? Yep...conflicted! ;-)

On 1/28/2021 at 9:28 PM, Fellowship said:

Free Range Sailing is the best. Nice couple, the guy knows what he is doing. And I like his approach. Do it right, but the simplest and cheapest way possible. And spend the money where it matters.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 9:15 PM, jacrider said:

I also like this one:  https://www.youtube.com/c/sea4see

The refit of a Hallberg Rassy 312 in Italy.  Great work, more perfectionist than Mads.   Beautiful craftsmanship.

Can't miss an episode of Leo doing the rebuild of Tally Ho.

Just goes to show hard far and few between quality refit videos are that even ones with as few views as that guy gets are popping up here. 

This guy & mads are probably the ones I watch most. Although this guys woodwork is much nice. 
I don't have the patience to watch any of them at normal speed, I always bump it up to 1.25x. 

• 2 weeks later...

For realistic practicality, budget and honest entertainment i too watch FreeRangeSailing. Aussie couple that do it right and do it well, plus their production quality is great and they actually sail! 
Also on my refit and build watch list is “SV BASIK”... The guy is fastidious! Watch the episode where he fits out his warm air heating and electrical cupboard.. Bloody thing ends up looking like something NASA would do....Awesome..(But not much sailing yet...Plus its a Cat).

I’ve given up watching the rest of the couple cruisers on youtube mostly, same cheesy click bait shit “Oops! Bikini failure”.... whilst motoring in 15knt on the beam... yawn.

I watch MJ and Uma too. I'm amazed at what both have done. Both couples seem too smart to have bothered!  Great results though.

I'm eager to see MJ's new cat they're now building.

Sailing Yaba, it's like watching a train wreck go on for months. They are determined to complete it and their saving grace is that it's being done in Brazil. I cringe at what the costs would be if it was here in the US. They are the Brazilian version of Leo....

22 hours ago, RImike said:

Sailing Yaba, it's like watching a train wreck go on for months. They are determined to complete it and their saving grace is that it's being done in Brazil. I cringe at what the costs would be if it was here in the US. They are the Brazilian version of Leo....

Okay, now I have to watch this and Leo/Tally Ho. What a contrast watching those Brazilian shipwrights "get 'er done" compared to Leo's "jewelers" rebuild of TH.

• Like 1

Sam Holmes sailing has just started an interesting refit/repair. The guy is all about minimising expenditure but at the same time getting the job done for ease of Singlehanding. 

• Like 1
On 3/2/2021 at 4:06 PM, FixinGit said:

Sam Holmes sailing has just started an interesting refit/repair. The guy is all about minimising expenditure but at the same time getting the job done for ease of Singlehanding. 

Another vote for Sam. He might not do it the way I would, but the guy plunges in and gets after it. And he bought and outfitted an old garage just for the purpose of the refit (and he lives in it). That by itself is a show.

On 3/8/2021 at 11:48 AM, Israel Hands said:

Another vote for Sam. He might not do it the way I would, but the guy plunges in and gets after it. And he bought and outfitted an old garage just for the purpose of the refit (and he lives in it). That by itself is a show.

Not sure about this guy. He does have enthusiasm but I would have destroyed the motor control mount rather than cut a nasty, jagged hole in the boat. At least the holes line up...

40 minutes ago, casc27 said:

Not sure about this guy. He does have enthusiasm but I would have destroyed the motor control mount rather than cut a nasty, jagged hole in the boat. At least the holes line up...

Agreed. It pains me to watch him work on his boat. His LA -> Hawaii video was great but the new boat is looking rougher and rougher with each project.

10 hours ago, casc27 said:

Have to agree with you on that one - was kind of shocking, and like I said "maybe not like I'd do it."  But that's part of what keeps it interesting. He may rip into something like that, but OTOH he is capable of putting together very tedious things like that 3D printer. And given the time line of his shop conversion and boat work, he's not doing anything but living this project. He's a "monomaniac on a mission," which someone years ago described as the type of person who is the ideal entrepreneur. He'll either do interesting things moving forward, or drown trying. Anyway, rather watch him or Free Range Sailing than Delos which now has posted "Do Babies Get Seasick?" :rolleyes:

On this topic I like “Alex goes sailing”

young guy in south of England picks up a derelict Vivacity 650 and actually does a nice job in his garden restoring her. Day job is an engineer I think

just finished his first season sailing. I see an old abandoned viv 650 not far from where I live, they have a certain charm so it is nice to see

Sailing Yabá is SUCH a train wreck that I had to stop watching it. The boat shoulda been scuttled and the couple have no idea what they are doing. The yard is taking them for a ride and I fear the “repairs” they are paying for are gonna last about a year in the tropics. 

• Like 1

I think I saw a yt comment on their latest video of how the dominant expressions on their faces were confusion and fear, not good

you have to wonder how they think they can afford it and why

trust fund? delusional narcissist ? What are we not seeing? At least yard workers all have sailing yaba tshirts anyway, gotta build up the brand

My favourite channel on this topic though has to be atomvoyager

so many nice ideas and so cleanly executed. Every video I’m making notes for my own use

here he totally refits a pearson triton

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 4:06 PM, FixinGit said:

Sam's my man. Fearless and inspired. Nothing holds him back. No engineering background but constant learning by doing. And he manages a colostomy like its just another day.  This guy inspires me.

Sailing Soulianis.  Young couple can't help if if their cute.  They buy what appeared to be a well found tartan until one thing leads to another. 

Speaking of terminal cute, I find Sailing Magic Carpet interesting.