The most beautiful boat  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Which boat do you prefer from a purely aesthetic point of view? Sorted in alphabetical order.

1 minute ago, dogwatch said:

None of them is beautiful. We are getting good racing, I'd be happy if AC37 were in AC75s. But beautiful? No.

So let's pick up the less ugly ;-)

They all have some really nice angles, and some pretty awful angles.

LRPP is probably the least offensive especially aft, though I've always hated those fat radiused bows.

The sharp, hollow bow exaggerated by the skeg & extreme polish on AM is really nice but I hate the deep-v, huge rocker overall shape.

Te Rehutai looks beastly from bow angles with the clean hull step, flared bow & turtle-back deck but ugh that boxy stern ain't pretty nope.

Rita has a good concept but just doesn't quite look right in details, others don't like the boxiness but I don't think thats what puts me off.

Regarding aesthetics LR is the winner. The all black hull and sails with the red stripes is restrained and stylish, as one would expect from Prada. Overall they look shipshape and the tailoring at the foot of the main is unmatched. 'Bella figura' is important for Italians! AM has the most unusual hull, it's interesting in a sculptural way. Otherwise they are conservative, old fashioned and dull. INEOS is trying hard to be edgy with it's buble bows graphic, and literally with the hull shape. The purple crew helmets hark back to the 2012 London olympics. A bit of a mish mash. ETNZ's red, black and white whirlpool design is a mess (and has been since back in 2007). Their hull shape is perhaps the most interesting, especially from the front view.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, marlowe said:

Regarding aesthetics LR is the winner. The all black hull and sails with the red stripes is restrained and stylish, as one would expect from Prada. Overall they look shipshape and the tailoring at the foot of the main is unmatched. 'Bella figura' is important for Italians! AM has the most unusual hull, it's interesting in a sculptural way. Otherwise they are conservative, old fashioned and dull. INEOS is trying hard to be edgy with it's buble bows graphic, and literally with the hull shape. The purple crew helmets hark back to the 2012 London olympics. A bit of a mish mash. ETNZ's red, black and white whirlpool design is a mess (and has been since back in 2007). Their hull shape is perhaps the most interesting, especially from the front view.

Yup.  She looks like a Contender, Sonderboat, Broad’s-boat, or a Jollenkruezer.  AM looks kind of like a stylized 5.5 M mixed with a bit of 30 sq m, which is kind of cool.  The others look purposeful, but not quite finished aesthetically.  Kind of like the winner of the last C class cup.  

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, sosoomii said:

If I could mix and match I’d have Patriot’s hull, Luna Rosa’s sails, ETNZ’s foils and Rita’s crew!

And the Italian goggles.

Completely agree, italians have always had best liveries, probably peaked in the early luna rossa IACC days with the pewter / red / white, but still great now. AM looks nicest hull wise. I might chose ETNZ rig and foils tho.

Plenty of sport to be had fantasy football crews but on balance INEOS lot seem to be functioning very effectively esp afterguard.

• Like 1

To my eye, the British boat looks like an RS300.  Which is kind of cool- a nod to moths?   With a jib.  And little tiny men.

I like the finishing of Patriot, giving fantastic reflections, and it seems really an airplane. LR is beautifully elegant. Britannia not bad. Te Rehutai nice bow but at the stern “nun se po’ guardà”

• Like 1

Te Rehutai - her looks were hard to love at first but she has grown on me - her lines are a bit like a Le Mans sports car.

On the water, under sail, she has quite a different stance to the others, powerful and aggressive.

2 hours ago, sosoomii said:

If I could mix and match I’d have Patriot’s hull, Luna Rosa’s sails, ETNZ’s foils and Rita’s crew!

And the Italian goggles.

A hybrid of LR's sails with ETNZ's mainsail control systems.  What Glen is doing with that is a thing of beauty stuck on top of a god-awful ugly platform.

24 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Te Rehutai - her looks were hard to love at first but she has grown on me - her lines are a bit like a Le Mans sports car.

On the water, under sail, she has quite a different stance to the others, powerful and aggressive.

There is something retro about Te Rehutai's lines.

Jaguar-D-Type-1954-1600-05.jpg

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Still largely a Muffin Top. ;-)

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Thinking long term I would appreciate Te Rehutai hanging on some wall some where preferably in company with NZL 32 60 and that cat.

AC75TeRehutaiDraftCadV1.thumb.png.8598fef364d5814552581d929217660a.png

Fast is pretty. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Thinking long term I would appreciate Te Rehutai hanging on some wall some where preferably in company with NZL 32 60 and that cat.

AC75TeRehutaiDraftCadV1.thumb.png.8598fef364d5814552581d929217660a.png

It would be great to see renders of all 4 hulls for comparison, including rigs. The sail livery is important too.

My vote goes to Patriot.

When I saw that hull the first time I immediately thought she would look great even (or especially?) with a mahogany hull, teak deck and polished stainless, all very glossy.

These lines just work.

That said, I never got to terms with the second hand looking sail wardrobe of dull and faded colours.

Very close second would be Luna Rossa, simple and elegant lines, true to Italian style (and their sails match the hull :) ).

With Te Rehutai and Britannia, there is no third in this beauty contest. The both have some high tech appeal but as far as aestethics go they look both too boxy and sciency to my eye and share fourth place.

• Like 6

I like the style of Patriot (hate the name) she reminds me of the profile of Dart beach cat including the keel line, and a well executed reverse sheer. 

• Like 1
On 1/29/2021 at 10:25 PM, NeedAClew said:

I like the Ineos circles

Yes I'd go with the graded mottling effect of these circles:  striking.

They just beat Amati's 'red outlined rounded squares' on LR.

• Like 1
On 1/29/2021 at 4:22 PM, sosoomii said:

And the Italian goggles.

On 1/29/2021 at 5:19 PM, Daniel Holman said:

Completely agree, italians have always had best liveries, probably peaked in the early luna rossa IACC days with the pewter / red / white, but still great now. AM looks nicest hull wise. I might chose ETNZ rig and foils tho.

Plenty of sport to be had fantasy football crews but on balance INEOS lot seem to be functioning very effectively esp afterguard.

Here you go! Patriot"s hull, Luna Rossa's color scheme and the Kiwi's sails.

1808415162_DSCN4516(2).thumb.JPG.1e6d47c34f7bad0bf2ee36ef4091e44e.JPG

the perfect AC72:)

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Here you go! Patriot"s hull, Luna Rossa's color scheme and the Kiwi's sails.

1808415162_DSCN4516(2).thumb.JPG.1e6d47c34f7bad0bf2ee36ef4091e44e.JPG

the perfect AC72:)

900223370_Screenshot_20210201-203412_Firefox2.thumb.jpg.4432e73d00cd8e0aed8a11c7194c7e31.jpg

On 1/30/2021 at 7:27 AM, idontwan2know said:

Rita looks like a paper airplane.

And AM sailed like one. 

• Like 1
On 2/1/2021 at 8:41 AM, strider470 said:

I didn't expect Britannia with so few votes. I think it's quite a nice looking boat.

I think many vote along other lines. AM to me looks the nicest with the other 3 a bit boxy.

• Like 1