I went to Lowe's yesterday to pick up a few bits for some projects.  So I go to where the chain and cord is and there is a sign saying something like, "Spooled rope has been removed at this time. Please see customer service for more information."  I can see the spools on the top shelf, so I go to customer service and ask what's up. They tell me that they took it off the floor until further notice to prevent people from making nooses as political statements for demonstrations, etc.

Seriously, WTAF????  Are they going to put 2x4s behind the counter now so people can't build mock gallows or a cross to burn too?  

SJW stupidity run amok.  We're doomed as a society, I tellz ya.

"Lowe’s officials said the store will change the way it sells rope across the nation after a noose was found over the weekend at the store on Lake Underhill Road in Orlando."

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/orange-county/lowes-change-way-rope-is-sold-after-noose-found-orlando-store/ISBP5XODJVHXZI4WHBDARBKR3I/

More like "More racist bullshit".

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

Spray paint is still available though, so that's a good thing......

1388773879_Killwhitepeople.jpg.6294b05b623d113630c3ee0ee54c4e1f.jpg

By chance was that message written by a self-hating old white middle school teacher with a pet poodle named Fu Fu?  

3 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

It isn't that they aren't selling it, what they are not doing is leaving it out for deplorables to make nooses with instead of buying it.

That is outrageously outrageous!

I am outraged at the idea that KKK'ers cannot express themselves freely using other peoples' property!

Let's all go to the nearest big-box retailer that sells bedsheets, make little KKK hoods, and shit on them in the aisles. That will let the fuckers know how outraged we are!

- DSK

19 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

SJW

'sjw'? burning karen adressing the big issues once again.

once a simple fuck.. always a simple fuck (until proven otherwise).

'sjw'>howdy doody

2 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Spray paint is still available though, so that's a good thing......

1388773879_Killwhitepeople.jpg.6294b05b623d113630c3ee0ee54c4e1f.jpg

I think you're missing some info about who is making the nooses.

And I wouldn't put it past our domestic terrorists to tie nooses on the ends of the floor spools you have your panties in a wad about, which makes removing them logical.

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:
1 hour ago, another 505 sailor said:

No self respecting sailor would start a thread about rope at Lowes. 

Well, there is that.

Then again, I'm not doing to use dyneema to tie a Christmas tree to the roof of my car.

Not if you've got a bunch of Marstron and Salsa laying around the garage.

- DSK

3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Not if you've got a bunch of Marstron and Salsa laying around the garage.

- DSK

I have something like 1000 feet of rope in my shop, in varying lengths. Old sheets from past boats, 450 feet of anchor line...one of these days I'll figure out something to do with it. 

13 minutes ago, bpm57 said:

White people were never hung, I guess. Is it also racist if the rope is white?

"From 1882-1968, 4,743 lynchings occurred in the United States.  Of these people that were lynched 3,446 were black."

https://www.naacp.org/history-of-lynchings/

"Authorities are investigating a sudden string of hangings involving black and Hispanic Americans in three states as racial tensions continue to fester in the wake of George Floyd’s death."

https://www.ajc.com/news/people-color-have-died-recent-string-hangings-across-country/dwYcL9kK7vRYn4Zqw0f1gL/

8 minutes ago, slap said:

"From 1882-1968, 4,743 lynchings occurred in the United States.  Of these people that were lynched 3,446 were black."

https://www.naacp.org/history-of-lynchings/

"Authorities are investigating a sudden string of hangings involving black and Hispanic Americans in three states as racial tensions continue to fester in the wake of George Floyd’s death."

https://www.ajc.com/news/people-color-have-died-recent-string-hangings-across-country/dwYcL9kK7vRYn4Zqw0f1gL/

:o

25 minutes ago, bpm57 said:

White people were never hung, I guess. Is it also racist if the rope is white?

I remember a couple of white guys in high school who were pretty well hung. Not that I really looked, yanno, just happened to notice in the showers after basketball games....

14 hours ago, Burning Man said:

I went to Lowe's yesterday to pick up a few bits for some projects.  So I go to where the chain and cord is and there is a sign saying something like, "Spooled rope has been removed at this time. Please see customer service for more information."  I can see the spools on the top shelf, so I go to customer service and ask what's up. They tell me that they took it off the floor until further notice to prevent people from making nooses as political statements for demonstrations, etc.

Seriously, WTAF????  Are they going to put 2x4s behind the counter now so people can't build mock gallows or a cross to burn too?  

SJW stupidity run amok.  We're doomed as a society, I tellz ya.

Naw, ban nail guns, I say... 

18 hours ago, Mark K said:

Naw, ban nail guns, I say... 

Fuck a charge, this here is a gunpowder activated, twenty seven  caliber, full-auto, no kickback, nail-throwing mayhem ...

Aside from this, I don't like to have to hunt down store help when I need to cut rope, cable and chain. Both my mom-pop hardware store and the Home Depot leave a hot-knife and a bolt cutter out so I can do it myself and save time. The mom-pop is flush with help but the Home Depot (and Lowes is worse) have so little help on the floor, any activity that requires their intervention adds 15 minutes.

Once again, these racists end up hurting everyone, not just their targets ... like Voyageur says, "this is why we can't have nice things."

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Fuck a charge, this here is a gunpowder activated, twenty seven  caliber, full-auto, no kickback, nail-throwing mayhem ...

Aside from this, I don't like to have to hunt down store help when I need to cut rope, cable and chain. Both my mom-pop hardware store and the Home Depot leave a hot-knife and a bolt cutter out so I can do it myself and save time. The mom-pop is flush with help but the Home Depot (and Lowes is worse) have so little help on the floor, any activity that requires their intervention adds 15 minutes.

Once again, these racists end up hurting everyone, not just their targets ... like Voyageur says, "this is why we can't have nice things."

Fun fact: Randy Repass, founder of West Marine, invented that table that counts rope by the foot and has a hot blade attached to it.  From the time he sold New England rope out of his garage.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

Fun fact: Randy Repass, founder of West Marine, invented that table that counts rope by the foot and has a hot blade attached to it.  From the time he sold New England rope out of his garage.

You do know why a "Counter" is called a counter don't you? Randy Repass didn't have anything to do with it.

30 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

I'm going to go tie a noose on the power cord of every one of their power tools! Just to see how they handle that.

I have to use that knot in my folding sled products, it's the only knot with a sufficient amount of friction to hold the panels shut when the users fold up the sled. I tie hundreds of them per month, but I only use two or three loops, so when it collapses it just sort of looks like a normal taut-line hitch, or even a highwayman's hitch, except that it stays tight.

I wish I could find a different hitch that works better without the emotional history, I've tried about five variations on the eyelet-hitch but those loosened up. I do have my own little variation though, I after I circle then end up to put it through the top loop, before I pull the draw tight on the hitch, I flip the top coil over the end-lock to make the knot a bit more compact and increase the friction. Is that a sufficient enough change for it to get a new name?

5 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

He invented the spinny table with the the rope cutter.  I didn't mean the counter itself.

Those counters are a menace. They can read very erratically. Skinny Dyneema you can get 50% extra, rough nylon you could get 10% less. For guaranteed length we ran it off on the floor. 

• Like 2