I've suffered from seasonal affective disorder for years.  I HATE THE winter ....not so much the snow or skiing, but the short days and cold cloudy afternoons.   SAD makes me feel horrible and want to do noting....serious depression hasnt hit me in a few years so thats a plus.  With COVID, the normal outlets for getting out have diminished a bit. Im not skiing as much and just getting out with friends has almost ceased.   It's made me a cranky cunt....in the past, we book a trip in the winter (either to our place in Honduras...which we;'re not allowed to go to)  or somewhere hot in the carib to dive....it's not happening for the foreseeable future. I'm miserable most days..............

I have the same problem.  The trick is to get out and get as much UV as you can - even just sitting in the back yard in the sun helps.  

If you can't do that for one reason or another, get a full-spectrum LED lamp.  I dropped my subscription to Consumer Reports so I can't recommend any particular one.  They really do make a difference. 

When I was teaching I was inside under florescent lights most of the day with few opportunities to get UV.  I used to send my students for a 2 minute walk outside my classroom (it had a door to the outside) whenever the sun came out so I could stand outside - it was a great teaching transition tool and good for them and me.  A few students noted in the yearbook that these little walks ("Physics walks") were among their best memories of high school.

Depending on the lighting in your workspace you might be able to change the bulb to a full-spectrum bulb.  

And any day you feel really bad, just remind yourself that it is a physiological problem and you can do things to make yourself feel better.  Then go do those things.

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, dacapo said:

I've suffered from seasonal affective disorder for years.  I HATE THE winter ....not so much the snow or skiing, but the short days and cold cloudy afternoons.   SAD makes me feel horrible and want to do noting....serious depression hasnt hit me in a few years so thats a plus.  With COVID, the normal outlets for getting out have diminished a bit. Im not skiing as much and just getting out with friends has almost ceased.   It's made me a cranky cunt....in the past, we book a trip in the winter (either to our place in Honduras...which we;'re not allowed to go to)  or somewhere hot in the carib to dive....it's not happening for the foreseeable future. I'm miserable most days..............

I'm with you. I spent 50 some years in New England, and I pretty much always hated winter.

We moved to the Caribbean, but my wife couldn't take the pace (too slow), so we moved to N.Fl. Too cold here in the winter for my taste, and too hot in the summer, but spring, and autumn are  nice.

Now my wife has come down with a serious case of SAD. For my part, I'm pretty much laid up with a broken back, but that's getting better, but not being able to help my wife get through this tough spot is depressing me, and I'm not a depressed kind of guy. I like to complain and bitch, and moan, but I really have always seen the bright side of situations.

I'm just hoping that as the days get longer, my wife will come out of her funk.

My wife got me one of these for my birthday. One of her friends suffers from SAD and she thought it might help with our long dark winters. It actually seems to work, I was quite surprised. 30 minutes every morning leaves me feeling better balanced throughout the day. 

71BQGliAoDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, dacapo said:

this is when you write your best songs,  go jam on the guitar..

• Like 3

Well I guess I am just a cantankerous old sod.  I don't like winter nor summer.  One is too cold and the other too hot.  I am lucky that I have really never suffered the winter doldrums though.  Keep busy and get out whenever the sun peeks out.  A problem at present is my wife has covid.  Fortunately not doing too bad.  I am of course stuck in the house, but I still get out to walk the dog.  (Her dog, not mine)

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, bletso said:

Well I guess I am just a cantankerous old sod.  I don't like winter nor summer.  One is too cold and the other too hot.  I am lucky that I have really never suffered the winter doldrums though.  Keep busy and get out whenever the sun peeks out.  A problem at present is my wife has covid.  Fortunately not doing too bad.  I am of course stuck in the house, but I still get out to walk the dog.  (Her dog, not mine)

I've been busy working on our bands album...BUT keeping busy is not the solution to seasonal affective disorder...sometimes, it just takes over. 

I have more songs than I know what to do with....

When  I said busy, I mean physically busy.  Kind of take you mind off the problem.  No, I don't do gyms.  Important to get out into the elements.  Of course a bit more difficult in cities where nature is at times taxed due to exhaust fumes etc.  I had a nice walk in woods with snow on ground, great watching the wildlife dart about.  Of course shoveling the sh.. is for the birds.

Here it gets dark at 4PM but we are over the hump from the winter solstice now. But we are in the rainy/dirty season. Not much in way of the snow in town these days so it's novel to see it on the ground. And going a long walk in monsoon season is no fun. Are club has suspended racing for now but we hope to get out there soon - we'll see. I'm getting a little stir crazy so I get out to our club but even that is limited to our "bubble". IE - no guests really. My bar tab is taken a beating lately just to get out of the house. 

I hate the cold, don't even want to ski or ice skate, just don't like it!!  Fortunately it doesn't cause SAD, or any other serious afflictions, I just don't like it, period!!  I read more books in the the winter, and watch more TV, especially during Covid.  Finished Designated Survivor, and Mrs. Maisel, looking for the next show to binge.  Because I get up at 6 AM Monday through Friday for work, Missus BB is always ahead of me on the episodes.   Hopefully next winter, when I am receiving SSI income, we can spend the 3rd week of December and every other month through March in Charleston, SC with our daughters, and that should make the winter fly by much quicker!!

21 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I hate the cold, don't even want to ski or ice skate, just don't like it!!  Fortunately it doesn't cause SAD, or any other serious afflictions, I just don't like it, period!!  I read more books in the the winter, and watch more TV, especially during Covid.  Finished Designated Survivor, and Mrs. Maisel, looking for the next show to binge.  Because I get up at 6 AM Monday through Friday for work, Missus BB is always ahead of me on the episodes.   Hopefully next winter, when I am receiving SSI income, we can spend the 3rd week of December and every other month through March in Charleston, SC with our daughters, and that should make the winter fly by much quicker!!

Yeah, my retirement plan was to escape the shit winter weather in the PNW for someplace with better weather and cheap long term accommodation - Mexico, Vietnam, Sri Lanka.  Then covid happened two weeks after I retired.  We're making the best of it, and can't really complain when so many are much worse off.  

One of the advantages of living in the swamps of Florida is the 99.87% temperate climate and lack of neighbors within eyeshot.  So when the sun comes out in the dead of winter, it's nekkid time out back by the pond.  Improves my mood dramatically and I don't have to pay any neighbor's eye-bleach bills. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

One of the advantages of living in the swamps of Florida is the 99.87% temperate climate and lack of neighbors within eyeshot.  So when the sun comes out in the dead of winter, it's nekkid time out back by the pond.  Improves my mood dramatically and I don't have to pay any neighbor's eye-bleach bills. 

I need eye bleach just thinking about it!  :)

7 minutes ago, silent bob said:

Definitely too much information:P

Don't forget the SPF 200 on your special purpose.

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

We're working our way through Queen's Gambit right now. It took a bit to get into, but now we're hooked. 

26 minutes ago, silent bob said:

Why do you think I wear a blindfold?

Think about it: In order to maximize Vitamin D generation, maximize the exposed surface.  And if there's no one nearby to inflict a regurgative event on...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

If you went out nekkid here in the last week, you'd have to use tweezers to take a piss.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mrleft8 said:

If you went out nekkid here in the last week, you'd have to use tweezers to take a piss.

Nine months of tropical summer can suck. However, today's high was 71°, with a gentle, soft Caribbean breeze.  Sun was very intermittent, so no nakey time. 

Sometimes it doesn't suck here. 

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

We're working our way through Queen's Gambit right now. It took a bit to get into, but now we're hooked. 

Missus BB says she has watched all of that, when I was sleeping. Now we are trying the Kaminsky Method, which she says we have seen some already, but I don' recall that....

We have had light boxes for 30 years. Used to be giant clubky things. Now LED panels. We got new ones on Amazon Northern Lights. Use September to May. Read paper, check email 30-60 min. Works well.   

4 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Here it gets dark at 4PM but we are over the hump from the winter solstice now. But we are in the rainy/dirty season. Not much in way of the snow in town these days so it's novel to see it on the ground. And going a long walk in monsoon season is no fun. Are club has suspended racing for now but we hope to get out there soon - we'll see. I'm getting a little stir crazy so I get out to our club but even that is limited to our "bubble". IE - no guests really. My bar tab is taken a beating lately just to get out of the house. 

Maxx, I just noticed your location .. Canadian Southwest.. isn't that a contradiction in terms? I mean anything in Canadia is still too far fuckin north for humans LOL

SCIENCE! is finding more critical benefits to sunlight exposure.  Health, attitude, mental well-being, longevity... The benefits don't come from synthetic vitamin pills.  

Sunlight, git some!  Especially during the winter.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

Maxx, I just noticed your location .. Canadian Southwest.. isn't that a contradiction in terms? I mean anything in Canadia is still too far fuckin north for humans LOL

Maxx is a mainlander, we're way more southwesterly than him. Today I was trimming ferns because the daffodils underneath are coming up strong, and my wife was weeding because everything is growing like crazy. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

SCIENCE! is finding more critical benefits to sunlight exposure.  Health, attitude, mental well-being, longevity... The benefits don't come from synthetic vitamin pills.  

Sunlight, git some!  Especially during the winter.

Looking at my solar power log for the last 2 months, it's only been "Sunny", or "Mostly sunny" here for 8 days. Most of the days have been either "Mostly cloudy", "Clouds/rain", or "Partly cloudy".

2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Looking at my solar power log for the last 2 months, it's only been "Sunny", or "Mostly sunny" here for 8 days. Most of the days have been either "Mostly cloudy", "Clouds/rain", or "Partly cloudy".

Gotsa pick your moment. On the Spaced Coast, early afternoons are often sunny. 

10 hours ago, dacapo said:

Get a huge sunlamp and lay under it naked and smoke huge spleefs while listening to bab marleys legend album. Rub copious amounts of coconut oil everywhere you can still reach. Do this every day and remember to turn over. Front, side, back, other side like rotisserie chicken. Drink lots of water and you get bonus points for every female you can entice to share your therapy sessions. Wives count! Don't sunburn your dick, you are going to be needing it.

but seriously, depression is serious shit and it needs serious hammers, you need to to talk to a pro and start working on a solution. Life is short and help could be closer than you think.

15 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Get a huge sunlamp and lay under it naked and smoke huge spleefs while listening to bab marleys legend album. Rub copious amounts of coconut oil everywhere you can still reach. Do this every day and remember to turn over. Front, side, back, other side like rotisserie chicken. Drink lots of water and you get bonus points for every female you can entice to share your therapy sessions. Wives count! Don't sunburn your dick, you are going to be needing it.

but seriously, depression is serious shit and it needs serious hammers, you need to to talk to a pro and start working on a solution. Life is short and help could be closer than you think.

Anybody's?

57 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Gotsa pick your moment. On the Spaced Coast, early afternoons are often sunny. 

Yeah.... I'm on the "Nature coast" soon to be the next 6 lane escape toll route to Georgia coast for people from Tampa. So much for nature.:rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Well....the man is in need of cheering up.

No, I wasn't being negative. I just wanted to make sure of the ground rules. 

24 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Anybody's?

You know, just because a man may be lying naked under a sun lamp, stoned, oiled up and listening to bob Marley along with a few other people who happen to be wives and are similarly disposed in terms of clothing and skin lubrication does not mean biblical shit needs to happen. certainly more likely than a funeral, but not a have to happen deal. I don't feel like I'm selling it very well. Guess I should do some testing .

3 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Ground rules are important. Got to start with a framework though improvisation can be more fun in the near term.

I like to know the husbands are either on board or out of the country. 

18 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Maxx is a mainlander, we're way more southwesterly than him. Today I was trimming ferns because the daffodils underneath are coming up strong, and my wife was weeding because everything is growing like crazy. 

Eggsactly. Rarely does it snow here. A bit of novelty really. We sail/race all year and look forward to our winter series; just not this of course because of Covid. I raced in Seattle for many years and Seattle is an hour and half away by road. I make a point we are the Canadian southwest and not Pacific Northwest (PNW) but we get bundled up with BC, WA and ORE are all the same. It's not IMHO. There is border between us - that "we" closed. Our region is one of the only places in the planet you can play tennis/golf in the morning, sail/ race in the afternoon and night ski that same night; all from 10 minutes of each other. I can see Grouse Mtn. ski area from home and look to the south (same window) is Vancouver harbour at sea level - saltwater. My yacht club is just below Cypress Bowl ski area and I can see it at the club bar or my boat. We had a winter Olympics in 2010 with events at Cypress. And frankly, we could have done the Summer games the same year!  The picture is our Snowflake series 2 years ago and that is Olympian/Star world champion  Ross MacDonald's X-41 just off the club in Howe Sound. https://www.wvyc.ca/

133_3 (1280x853).jpg

A truly beautiful part of the world, I was lucky enough to be in Whistler for 2 years for both seasons and it was epic. sliding down to Vancouver was always a huge shot in the arm, not that living in a beautiful house in Whistler wasn't primo. The Boot Bar was right across the creek from my hot tub, oh The Boot and it's Ballet.