Simple Electric/Instruments

Just got a deal on a racy little San Juan 24. Motored her up from Lake Washington, re-painted the bottom with VC17m, installed a new upper stay (incl) and went for a test sail in some sporty conditions, Awesome! Out for Shaw Island Winter Classic this weekend.

Malice has zero, zilch, nada of an electrical system besides a few new/good wires run to the nav lights basically. We bought some decent Emergency Nav lights for short term use. The PO has left me a brand new 12v AGM 80ah battery, 6amp marine battery charger, 6 circuit blue seas 12v distribution panel.

I am going to secure the battery in a battery box to the installed supports for it. Add terminals and this little voltmeter, USB, lighter plug, On/off switch https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TBK58YS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  right next to the battery compartment to charge tablet/phone/spotlight. I will mount and hook up the 6 amp charger, it can plug into 110 while at the dock as needed for now. Both devices have inline 10amp fuses.  Small popup camping lanterns for interior lights. That will be the interim electrical system.

After the race and starting on the real project comes a few questions;

1. I am looking for LED retrofit kits for the nav lights. I know it is a new wire run to the steaming light, would rather use original fittings if I can find a LED bulbs. Cant figure it out so far.
  2. The knotmeter is a paddle wheel with an analog gauge left to us by Melville I suppose. The fathometer is in place, but I don't know if it works and it is ancient too, so want to change to something simple/cheap along this line for depth https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JEOEE0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 they dont have a matching knotmeter, but would rather have ultrasonic than a paddle of course. What are current options here.
  3. Would love to have AWS & AWA. Is there somewhere I can buy used ST60? what would be the most cost effective to get this info?
  4. I am using Navionics on the tablet as a navigation aid, but here in my back yard, the San Juans, I mostly just keep a paper chart handy. I love doing distance races in the Islands so I want VMG to a mark I have set. What software for android for that?

San Juans are not expensive boats and I am not looking for expensive stuff. I dont mind to combine displays or sensors with a raspberry pi even to get a system going, just saw the post on that and been wanting to get started with rasbperry pi anyway. I do IT network infrastructure for a living, so raspberry pie would be kind of fun.

1 hour ago, Baldur said:

I am using Navionics on the tablet as a navigation aid, but here in my back yard, the San Juans, I mostly just keep a paper chart handy. I love doing distance races in the Islands so I want VMG to a mark I have set. What software for android for that?

I have used marine navigator lite for Android to give me a basic chart and gps functionality on my phone. Its free, it works. I don't think you can interface to the boats GPS which may be a downside if your boat has a GPS (min does not)

For less than $10, you can get the full version, which probably works better.

4 hours ago, ctutmark said:

Congrats on getting Malice

Thanks, we are excited. She is certainly a lot of bang for the buck I think.

18 hours ago, JohnMB said:

I have used marine navigator lite for Android to give me a basic chart and gps functionality on my phone. Its free, it works. I don't think you can interface to the boats GPS which may be a downside if your boat has a GPS (min does not)

For less than $10, you can get the full version, which probably works better.

Do you know if it will give me VMG to a mark I have set?