Ho-Lee Fuck!  We have nearly a foot of snow and it's still coming down for another 12 hours if predictions are correct.  Driving home on Route 9 was 30 MPH in 4x4 with aggressive winter/offroad tires.  Definitely needed a cocktail when I got home!!   A classic Nor'easter, if I ever saw one!!  Can't wait to go the S. Carolina next month to visit both daughters!!

• Like 1

Just got finished clearing the first foot or so off the driveway about 10 minutes ago. Am now looking out the front window and can't tell it was cleared.

Edit to add: Had to clear my neighbor's as well since he is in the Bahamas and his wife and kids are home. Second time this year . . . the last storm he was in Key Largo.

39 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Ho-Lee Fuck!  We have nearly a foot of snow and it's still coming down for another 12 hours if predictions are correct.  Driving home on Route 9 was 30 MPH in 4x4 with aggressive winter/offroad tires.  Definitely needed a cocktail when I got home!!   A classic Nor'easter, if I ever saw one!!  Can't wait to go the S. Carolina next month to visit both daughters!!

New England snowstorm in February. What are the chances?   

• Like 3

Waiting by the fire here on midcoast Maine. Got gas, food, booze and a clear calendar. Bring it!

46 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Waiting by the fire here on midcoast Maine. Got gas, food, booze and a clear calendar. Bring it!

In NY-CT-NJ  a day like this earns a 'named storm' and blizzard honors. Maybe natural disaster designation for federal $ aid. Billy slows down  when driving and gets drunk celebrating  getting home.   There are some Indians  manning local our convenience / liquor  store this afternoon who have never seen snow and are happy to stay there. Maybe they get deported if they miss a day of work.    

In Maine  a day like this is called 'Monday Feb.1st'  

Donny Pelletier will be given her the beans at Sunday River tomorrow! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Cristoforo said:

In NY-CT-NJ  a day like this earns a 'named storm' and blizzard honors. Maybe natural disaster designation for federal $ aid  

The thing is, we're so bored up here that any run of the mill rain or wind storm sends Mainers screaming to the market to load up on Allen's coffee brandy and Fireball. The main difference now is that cable may black out. 

The horror!

Just now, Willin' said:

The thing is, we're so bored up here that any run of the mill rain or wind storm sends Mainers screaming to the market to load up on Allen's coffee brandy and Fireball. The main difference now is that cable may black out. 

The horror!

Gettin hard to tell nowadays who's a Mainer and who ain't what with all them Covid  from NY and Beantown buying up everything! Only way to tell is who drives a Range Rover and who dont!  

1 minute ago, Cristoforo said:

Gettin hard to tell nowadays who's a Mainer and who ain't what with all them Covid  from NY and Beantown buying up everything! Only way to tell is who drives a Range Rover and who dont!  

Yeah, I hear the same thing from my friends in EnZed.

29 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

In NY-CT-NJ  a day like this earns a 'named storm' and blizzard honors. Maybe natural disaster designation for federal $ aid. Billy slows down  when driving and gets drunk celebrating  getting home.   There are some Indians  manning local our convenience / liquor  store this afternoon who have never seen snow and are happy to stay there. Maybe they get deported if they miss a day of work.    

In NY where I grew up this wasn't even a big deal and schools may got a delay.  In NH.  Well I drove carefully and laugh at the idiots.  Saw a truck trying to race down the road and he was sideways.  Second time this year for that one.

Dig it out tomorrow everything will be fine as long as we don't lose internet

20 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

you know , thinner tires are better in the snow...

In Houston a half inch shuts everything down and people dont go to work. Its not the snow but all the Mexicans 
on the road seeing it for the first time . You need to avoid the Mexican scud missiles on the I-10 Tijuana Demolition Derby  
NTTAWWT 

46 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

Donny Pelletier will be given her the beans at Sunday River tomorrow! 

That theya is some funny shit!

2 minutes ago, Willin' said:

That theya is some funny shit!

he's fkn hilarious.  hurts to watch  some of that skiing. My knees blow out  just watching. The one he does in Utah is great.    

3 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

In Houston a half inch shuts everything down and people dont go to work. Its not the snow but all the Mexicans 
on the road seeing it for the first time . You need to avoid the Mexican scud missiles on the I-10 Tijuana Demolition Derby  
NTTAWWT 

not so much the locals, they just stay home,  it's all those assholes in their $50000+ suvs and jerkoffs in their 4wheel pickemup trucks who think they're indestructible

like the stupid blonde in the ram doing 60mph while everyone else was doing 20 and took my car out...  dumb fucking cunt..

2 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

A couple Ivy-leaguers from away making fun of Mainers. 

still good though. 

2 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

I think someone should call the cops and do a wellness check on Billy. Maybe  bring him some hot porridge. 

We are just fine, but hate, hate, hate the snow and ice.  Missus BB likes it, and think it's "pretty"....  But she can stay home all day and bake and cook.  I have to go to work at least for another 6 months.....

Parked the truck just inside the curb on the cul-de-sac, and hoping I can get it out tomorrow, after they plow.  

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

We are just fine, but hate, hate, hate the snow and ice.  Missus BB likes it, and think it's "pretty"....  But she can stay home all day and bake and cook.  I have to go to work at least for another 6 months.....

Parked the truck just inside the curb on the cul-de-sac, and hoping I can get it out tomorrow, after they plow.  

We will stop by and bring you some extra blankets. 

5 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Bah! Don't you remember 2013? (or was it 2012?.... I was in the Caribbean) It snowed 40" in 10 hours then a quarter inch of ice on top of that. This is regular February weather. Coming back to N. Guilford 5 days later sucked, but at least we had suntans.

1 minute ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Lived on board in NYC for two winters. Glad this wasn't one of them. One day we got about 4" but it had melted by late afternoon.

4"!?

That's not enough to make a snowman out of unless it's good packin' snow, and you're 14.

Hell I remember the school bus dropping us off at the end of the road, and the driver telling us to stop at any house along the way if we couldn't see  our way home it was snowing so hard.

About halfway to home a truck came along. It was a town cop in his own vehicle. Asked us kids if we needed a ride. We all said "no". It was fun. Lots of sledding, snowball fights, Making igloos in the plow drifts (How dangerous was that?, thinking back on it), and waiting for the plow to come by again so we could pack it tighter.

I never want to see that shit again.

On the southcoast of MA on Buzzards Bay.  We are in out own weather system.  Wind, some snow and rain.   Never got past a couple of inches.  We do get pounded by ocean systems that no one else sees...although they are rare.

9 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Cambridge, MA blizzard of ‘78.  

Thx for the memories.

Was that the blizzard the ended with an inch of rain that immediately froze over all the snow? I remember being able to walk on top of about a foot snow without falling through because of the inch thick ice on top. We were without power for about a week. It was the reason my father bought a generator.

So I should probably take off the drag slicks before I go out for supplies tonight...

This is annoying.

IMG_0916.jpg

50 minutes ago, Windward said:

So I should probably take off the drag slicks before I go out for supplies tonight...

This is annoying.

IMG_0916.jpg

If you ain't making 'nuff torque to need bead lockers, yer' good good to go. 

3 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

If you ain't making 'nuff torque to need bead lockers, yer' good good to go. 

Good point.

Silly me...  this was from my wife's car.

Here is mine. (note that this is not in the snow)

FxCo74J.jpg

• Like 1

New England is great fun.  Boy do I remembe the Blizzard of '78.  We were stuck mostly inside, once roads plowed and sun came out, the "no cars" rule continued, so we became good walkers.  From Acton, where I was then, down to Maynard, and back.

And as a kid in Marblehead, I has a paper route, and one time I made the deliveries on ice skates.

New Orleans is different........

4 hours ago, Son of a Sailor said:

Was that the blizzard the ended with an inch of rain that immediately froze over all the snow? I remember being able to walk on top of about a foot snow without falling through because of the inch thick ice on top. We were without power for about a week. It was the reason my father bought a generator.

Hurricane + hella lot ( 2-3 ft) snow.   Most impressive.   XC skiing on Mass Ave for a week or so.  Harvard Square was a park.  Cars buried under plowed snow for weeks.  Wild times.

On 2/1/2021 at 10:15 PM, Mrleft8 said:

Bah! Don't you remember 2013? (or was it 2012?.... I was in the Caribbean) It snowed 40" in 10 hours then a quarter inch of ice on top of that. This is regular February weather. Coming back to N. Guilford 5 days later sucked, but at least we had suntans.

I remember that, but I missed most of it!  Was in Florida with my Mom, and Missus BB was home alone with the cat for the storm.  It was 2 or 3 days before my cousin could get there to plow her out...

Just now, billy backstay said:
On 2/1/2021 at 10:15 PM, Mrleft8 said:

I remember that, but I missed most of it!  Was in Florida with my Mom, and Missus BB was home alone with the cat for the storm.  It was 2 or 3 days before my cousin could get there to plow her out...

We werre in Siesta Key, what a greate place..................                :)

Shovelleng when we gotte home....... was tuffe.

Another big blizzard coming today Billy!  Ho-Lee Fuck! 

And its named storm already!  'Digger'

Can we bring you some hot soup? 

A snowy set up for this Sunday as Winter Storm Digger moves through our state. Colder and more chances of snow next week.
Cloudy with snow. High 33F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 100%. 1 to 3 inches of snow expected.

5 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

Another big blizzard coming today Billy!  Ho-Lee Fuck! 

And its named storm already!  'Digger'

Can we bring you some hot soup? 

A snowy set up for this Sunday as Winter Storm Digger moves through our state. Colder and more chances of snow next week.
Cloudy with snow. High 33F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 100%. 1 to 3 inches of snow expected.

An hour or more ago, I barely got up our steep hill in the Nissan Frontier with 4WD and aggressive off road tires.  I will try to get to work tomorrow, if the roads are plowed and salt-sanded, but it's coming down fast now!  Thick, heavy flakes accumulating to 3 inches already, and not supposed to end for 8 or 9 more hours!!   4-8 inches predicted for here, in SE CT.  Way more on the shoreline, than inland...

It just started to flurry here, 4" predicted here on the coast, 6 more on Tuesday, 6 more again on Friday. Maybe it's time to wax up the skinnies!

8 minutes ago, Willin' said:

It just started to flurry here, 4" predicted here on the coast, 6 more on Tuesday, 6 more again on Friday. Maybe it's time to wax up the skinnies!

Are you doing the toboggan race this year?

17 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Are you doing the toboggan race this year?

Sadly it's been cancelled due to Covid. Next year for sure.

They're still having the New England Runner Sled Championships this year, but it's gonna be at Lost Valley Ski Area near Lewiston instead of up north in the backwoods. I may enter that depending on what it's gonna cost. It's a much smaller, less formal kinda event and about as close to  pure Currier and Ives as it gets.

• Like 1

We're getting hit in old England by storm Darcy at the moment, 50mph winds and up to a foot of snow.. we're not really prepared for it over here.

I've got the landrover battery on charge, it's not been used for a few weeks, I may need it to get to work.. But our road doesn't get ploughed, so if the single track road with passing places, fills between the banks and ditches I won't be going anywhere.. it's a mile and a half to the secondary  main road, which might get ploughed.. it's also supposed to stay below zero C for a week.

1 hour ago, Willin' said:

Sadly it's been cancelled due to Covid. Next year for sure.

They're still having the New England Runner Sled Championships this year, but it's gonna be at Lost Valley Ski Area near Lewiston instead of up north in the backwoods. I may enter that depending on what it's gonna cost. It's a much smaller, less formal kinda event and about as close to  pure Currier and Ives as it gets.

DAMN! I should have given you my grandfather's Flexible Flier (Ca. 1901) 3 person sled. I tuned it up, and replaced the steering yoke with White Oak.

I didn't think I'd have much use for it in the Caribbean (or in N. Florida for that matter) so I left it on it's rack in the garage for the new owners of the house to use.

It's a speed demon, and if you sit in the back, and steer with the ropes on the yoke, you can really catch some serious air!

(It my actually be my great uncle's sled. It has a little tin tag on it that says: "Clifford D. Noyes. W. Orange, NJ.")

• Like 1
2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

An hour or more ago, I barely got up our steep hill in the Nissan Frontier with 4WD and aggressive off road tires.  I will try to get to work tomorrow, if the roads are plowed and salt-sanded, but it's coming down fast now!  Thick, heavy flakes accumulating to 3 inches already, and not supposed to end for 8 or 9 more hours!!   4-8 inches predicted for here, in SE CT.  Way more on the shoreline, than inland...

Billy, you may want to get rid of that rice burner and get yourself an old F150 with narrow tires  off of Craigslist. At the bottom of the hill tell the old lady and the dog to get out and sit in the bed over the rear axle. Will get you up that hill every time. 
Keep us posted we worry about you if it snows more than an inch and a half! 

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

DAMN! I should have given you my grandfather's Flexible Flier (Ca. 1901) 3 person sled. I tuned it up, and replaced the steering yoke with White Oak.

Mannnnnnnn, if only you had! Despite their modest demeanor, these guys are serious collectors. My junkyard throwaway sled that I had to replace most of the staves got virtually no notice.

What I learned after my first and only run last year is that running and flopping onto a sled is a whole nuther thing at 68 than it was in 1968!

I was wearing an old khaki overcoat I'd inherited from my Dad and on first contact with my now inconveniently large gut I gasped and nearly puked, then promptly slid off the sled before even leaving the start box. I think my competitor was on his second beer by the time I got to the line.

This year... belly velcro!

• Like 1

82 today on the Spaced Coast. Woke up to Odin's alarm clock - two nearby lightning strikes (there just ain't no way to snooze that.) Followed by 7/8"of poring rain. The rain clouds broke about noon, setting the stage for gentle sunshine, a few lumpy white and gray clouds on the burning blue, and a light Caribbean scented breeze.

Sometimes it doesn't suck. 

I hate your everlovin' guts just now, CF!

Just now, Willin' said:

I hate your everlovin' guts just now, CF!

Would it help if I told you I was enjoying a rum punch?

Come three months our positions will flip. You'll be in the midst of a spectacular New England spring, and I'll be in the 9 months of Floriduh summer - 95° and 95%  humidity. Then, hurricane season, 6 months of looking over my shoulder. 

It all balances out - except, I don't have to shovel a foot of sunshine.  ;)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

and you werre worried aboute mooveng theire............                 :)

Snags, we live for the winter down here!  It's beautiful, even with the damn migratory snowbirds.  ;)

1 minute ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:
6 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

and you werre worried aboute mooveng theire............                 :)

Snags, we live for the winter down here!  It's beautiful, even with the damn migratory snowbirds.  ;)

Snowbirdes?  Dointe they mellte in the heate?     Oh,  you meane the olde folkes fleeng wintere, ritte?                           :)

11 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Would it help if I told you I was enjoying a rum punch?

A glass of cheap bourbon on the rocks for kickoff back atcha, CF!

Go the GronK!

16 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Snowbirdes?  Dointe they mellte in the heate?     Oh,  you meane the olde folkes fleeng wintere, ritte?                           :)

Doing 50 in the fast lane, right hand blinker welded on, demanding their senior discounts in the Raw Bars, bitching about our Gnu Yawk pizza, raising hell in the discos, constipating the lines at the pharmacy, Publix, Target, Post Office, demanding Liberace marathons... Oh yeah, it's hell. 

I swear I saw an earthquake in the grand canyon watching H.E.R. sing just now.

3 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

82 today on the Spaced Coast. Woke up to Odin's alarm clock - two nearby lightning strikes (there just ain't no way to snooze that.) Followed by 7/8"of poring rain. The rain clouds broke about noon, setting the stage for gentle sunshine, a few lumpy white and gray clouds on the burning blue, and a light Caribbean scented breeze.

Sometimes it doesn't suck. 

We had that whole Asgard thing around 1-2AM.... 2" of rain and a damned cold front, followed immediately by a "warm" front. Got up to 57f today. The Nature coast isn't as kind as the Space coast.

3 hours ago, Willin' said:

Mannnnnnnn, if only you had! Despite their modest demeanor, these guys are serious collectors. My junkyard throwaway sled that I had to replace most of the staves got virtually no notice.

What I learned after my first and only run last year is that running and flopping onto a sled is a whole nuther thing at 68 than it was in 1968!

I was wearing an old khaki overcoat I'd inherited from my Dad and on first contact with my now inconveniently large gut I gasped and nearly puked, then promptly slid off the sled before even leaving the start box. I think my competitor was on his second beer by the time I got to the line.

This year... belly velcro!

If they still have it, and don't use it (I don't see them as sledding kinda people..... Yale drama school/yuppies), I'll see about getting it for you. Steven and Mary still drive by there several times a year I think.

• Like 1