~7 more weeks,

8 events,

$1M

With Jimmy at the wheel of USA, things will get WAY more interesting. But Bennie and the Jets are a force. So who knows?

Counting down....to 53+ knots. Heh.

• Like 1
  • Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Denmark SailGP has a new look with two Women coming onboard https://sailgp.com/news/den-unveils-star-studded-crew/

Got the app sussed on my iPhone. So now collecting the screenshots of race 4 now. It's pretty incredible - both the app and the race. Just wait.

Paul Campbell-James is a seriously smart guy. I see from his WS resume that he got 3 straight A s  at A levels in the UK  . That is better than a 4.0 GPA. Then he went on to study ship science at

Posted Images

I was told last night that the new quarantine rules for many places in Europe / England are going to mess with the crews / staff.   When you look at the schedule and the 14 day quarantine, it may make it out of reach for Aussies and Kiwis especially.... 
I too am looking forward to it 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

I was told last night that the new quarantine rules for many places in Europe / England are going to mess with the crews / staff.   When you look at the schedule and the 14 day quarantine, it may make it out of reach for Aussies and Kiwis especially.... 

I'd be thinking that basing the whole season down there would be smarter, i'd be happy with that if I was doing the event.

• Like 1

as a non sailor, i like to watch the americas cup.. ever since ages ago.

Keen to get in on the action of the sailGP - Is this event usually broadcast live in NZ? - or maybe live on youtube?

loved watching the AC45's in bermuda. I assume the sailGP will be similar to that?

• 4 weeks later...

This is great for the sport. Really good to see...

"10,000 young people to be inspired by 2025 through SailGP’s youth and community program

Starting with the season opener in Bermuda in two months’ time, every SailGP event in Season 2 will include a program in partnership with World Sailing, National Sailing Federations, and local community clubs and programs."

https://sailgp.com/news/inspire-relaunches-with-greater-focus-on-inclusivity/

Not sure, but it's great to see the ladies coming up strong...

https://7news.com.au/sport/sailing/aussie-sailor-chasing-cousins-job-on-boat-c-2154582

I think they owe a huge debt to Marie Riou. Sure, SailGP and Team France both deserve huge credit for opening the door - but she's the one that burst through it.

I'm very interested to see the performance level of the teams as the women come in. Where do they excel? Where do they struggle?

Great story to follow.

Good stuff happening - with a lift from SGP:

https://bernews.com/2021/03/398422-grants-9-local-community-clubs/

“The awarding of grants to three of Bermuda’s local sailboat clubs is also in line with the Government’s promise to assist them in their preparation for SailGP and to help them with vital upgrades to assist in their future operations."

not sure why they're posting this a year late, but what a mess. Do these boats not have readouts for the skippers to inform them of boundaries like in the AC? How is it possible that the entire spec fleet was inside the course?

Somewhat funny to see Billy clearly still upset about it, 13 months later.

On 3/4/2021 at 12:35 AM, 45Roller said:

Any ideas when the pre-season training camp is taking place in Bermuda? 

Gets a mention here

https://sailgp.com/races/bermuda-grand-prix-event-page/

I know some team members are starting the journey out there - sounds like there have been some pretty hefty logistical efforts to get everyone sorted out with quarantine periods etc...

If this season goes ahead then it should be pretty awesome - getting Slingsby and Outeridge back on the water plus NZ, UK and Jimmy on the USA wheel should be some good racing.

• Like 1
On 2/2/2021 at 5:16 PM, DtM said:

Welcome back Smack. A new year and new thread.

This year will be great.

Smack is a GPFail shill, what's to celebrate about that?

• Like 1
On 2/4/2021 at 9:44 AM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Update:  Some Aussies are leaving in 2 weeks. Test done here prior to leaving and then tested in the US of A. Then to Bermuda (no test) and 2 days later into training.

10 hours ago, NZK said:

I know some team members are starting the journey out there - sounds like there have been some pretty hefty logistical efforts to get everyone sorted out with quarantine periods etc...

If this season goes ahead then it should be pretty awesome - getting Slingsby and Outeridge back on the water plus NZ, UK and Jimmy on the USA wheel should be some good racing.

Aussies I know will stay away for the whole tour (6 months) and work out the quarantine logistics on the fly.... a hassle but they are very happy to be working...

I am looking forward to this ... I just hope Foxtel air it live like last time...

• Like 1

I was really hoping to get to Bermuda. But it doesn't look promising. I will, however, be at the finals in SF.

Gonna be great to some real racing again!

• Like 1
On 3/19/2021 at 8:52 AM, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Update:  Some Aussies are leaving in 2 weeks. Test done here prior to leaving and then tested in the US of A. Then to Bermuda (no test) and 2 days later into training.

Aussies I know will stay away for the whole tour (6 months) and work out the quarantine logistics on the fly.... a hassle but they are very happy to be working...

I am looking forward to this ... I just hope Foxtel air it live like last time...

The last race - Feb 2020 - was live on YT... so hoping SailGP will keep that up for the coming races?

I am guessing that there will be more Announcements regarding the Teams since every Team will have Women integrated in their Operations.

Maybe Sally Barkow for USA? Nina Curtis & Lisa Darmanin for AUS?

This is one of the main things I really like about SailGP - its focus on the emerging talent in the sport, and letting those sailors truly shine at the very top...

1094376977_ScreenShot2021-03-23at3_18_15PM.thumb.png.250f50c360bd4b57e11bda21122f22c4.png

It's what sailing has needed for a very long time.

• Like 2

To get us all "Pumped Up" for Bermuda SailGP starting April 24/25 SailGP will be out with a new Series starting next Thursday April 1st called SailGP: Racing On the Edge.

BB605609_1.JPG?fm=webp&w=1263

Watch the Trailer of SailGP: Racing On the Edge

https://sailgp.com/news/watch-sailgp-racing-on-the-edge-trailer/

SailGP: Racing On The Edge can be seen on the SailGP's FB & YT Channels. There will apparently 4 Episodes in the built up to the Bermuda SailGP on April 1st, April 8th, April 15th and April 22nd!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, 45Roller said:

Bummer. I was hoping to be there early on. Hopefully, we'll get this little beastie sorted state-side so I can make the SF event. I gotta see this thing up close!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Bummer. I was hoping to be there early on. Hopefully, we'll get this little beastie sorted state-side so I can make the SF event. I gotta see this thing up close!

Have you any links as to where the races will be shown online, or televised?

2 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Have you any links as to where the races will be shown online, or televised?

Max,

Don't worry! All the Racing will be broadcasted via YouTube & Facebook just like in 2019 and during the Sydney SailGP Event in 2020:)

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Max,

Don't worry! All the Racing will be broadcasted via YouTube & Facebook just like in 2019 and during the Sydney SailGP Event in 2020:)

No doubt.  I've sent an email to SailGP, asking if they would be offering some of the features the app has on YouTube as well. 

Maybe we can cajole @dorox into creating another of his great stats apps online as well?  :D

• Like 1
On 3/27/2021 at 7:13 PM, MaxHugen said:

No doubt.  I've sent an email to SailGP, asking if they would be offering some of the features the app has on YouTube as well. 

Maybe we can cajole @dorox into creating another of his great stats apps online as well?  :D

Reply from SailGP:

"Not to worry, the SailGP APP is simply one of several ways to watch the racing.

We will be confirming the options available to fans around the world - including Australia - very soon and well in advance of the racing in Bermuda at the end of April."
  • Like 1
On 3/29/2021 at 5:57 AM, MaxHugen said:

Reply from SailGP:

"Not to worry, the SailGP APP is simply one of several ways to watch the racing.

We will be confirming the options available to fans around the world - including Australia - very soon and well in advance of the racing in Bermuda at the end of April."

Don't worry mate! They are going to this Season as exciting as possible:)

• Like 1

Fucking performing monkeys.

This ain't sailing.

I like that some sailors can feed their families, but the cost is humiliation ... is it worth it?

@Basiliscus, a couple of questions, given your knowledge of the AC72 wingsail.

Is it correct that the wing segments do not twist, only the flaps?

It was mentioned somewhere (?) that twist of the flaps could be up to 40° from wing bottom to top! What do they construct the "skin" of the flaps from, as they would need to be able to stretch on the A-C diagonal (below) when the flap is twisted?

image.png.6ded537763e4b04478ca2d1f6f25ce3e.png

What you have pictured is the new F50 wingsail, which was designed and built by SailGP.  It is made in segments so the area and height can be tailored to the wind conditions.

With regard to the AC72, OTUSA only twisted the flap, and yes, the AC72 flap could be twisted through 40 deg.  

The flaps and main element were covered with a shrink-wrap packaging film made by Clysar.

• Like 1
On 3/23/2021 at 4:21 PM, smackdaddy said:

This is one of the main things I really like about SailGP - its focus on the emerging talent in the sport, and letting those sailors truly shine at the very top...

1094376977_ScreenShot2021-03-23at3_18_15PM.thumb.png.250f50c360bd4b57e11bda21122f22c4.png

It's what sailing has needed for a very long time.

lmao, can't wait for them to be fighting for 6th place. Ya know, usually the whole "diversity and inclusion" circus gets going AFTER a series has real competition, and it's not just a one or two horse race. The crashes might be fun to watch though

Tomorrow it BEGINS...well sort the Teaser for Bermuda. 4 Episodes, SAILGP: "Racing on the Edge". The Story of SailGP. From the Announcement in October 2018 through Season 1 and new Teams for Season 2. I can't wait to watch this! Set your Times folks!

13 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

What you have pictured is the new F50 wingsail, which was designed and built by SailGP.  It is made in segments so the area and height can be tailored to the wind conditions.

With regard to the AC72, OTUSA only twisted the flap, and yes, the AC72 flap could be twisted through 40 deg.  

The flaps and main element were covered with a shrink-wrap packaging film made by Clysar.

I thought you were pulling my leg... since it's April 1st!

image.png.7dc03098863feb9895b705cd588ea09d.png

DENMARKS SAILGP TEAM first out of the Shed in Bermuda:)

Ex5K759XIAoFjKE?format=jpg&name=large

Today and tomorrow looks to be a good Day for Sailing on the Great Sound if they want to get some Training in. From Saturday onwards though there will be over 30 Knots in Bermuda so probably no Training for the Teams.

12 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

I thought you were pulling my leg... since it's April 1st!

I don't know why you'd think that - you know I have no sense of humor.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, 33jesus said:

Is it me or is that the small wing?

Yes it is, they leave out the 2nd section from the foot.  There's a diagram of the 2 setups, about 10 post back ^.

• Like 1

From doing 2D diagrams using Inkscape  - free, and awesome IMO - I thought I'd dip my toes into CAD.  So I downloaded the free version of AutoCAD Fusion 360.  Major learning curve though!

So far I've managed to model the wing and flap segments, and can angle the flaps etc. Just for the hell of it, I set the flap at 30° at the bottom, and went as far as adding negative camber at the top to simulate twist and negative lift for strong winds:

image.png.be9c8706a837715cb2dc7f52f4a1d138.png

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any design diagrams online, so modelling the hulls etc may be a challenge.  If anyone spots these online, please post a link!  :)

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 1:36 PM, smackdaddy said:

Again, I think those descriptors are a bit on the hysterical side. I see this more as a business/political/platform move than some indictment on SailGP itself. For example, from that NYT article...

Then add that on to this announcement we've seen elsewhere...

Notwithstanding the histrionics I'm sure are going on with the KiWhingersTM - what I see here is a decision on the choice of platform that fits into CHN's current path of developing/sponsoring sailors. And, though I think it's a questionable path in terms of long-term viability (will there be another OR after this iteration?, etc.) - it's a decision I can understand based on where they are now as a sailing nation on the world stage. Commit to one thing and get better at it...

So, their current interest is obviously much more on broader industry benefits than it is in being part of a sailing sports league right now. And I get that.

But in turn, it also greatly benefits ETNZ to have some global support for its vision - even from a country that's not participating in the AC - so ETNZ would bend over backwards to make it worth CHN's while. If it comes to paying to be just another sub-par team (SGP) or being paid and offered immediate global exposure as a premier "partner" (AC) - which do you choose if you're CHN?

But, it's also a huge gamble. ETNZ has to win the cup. AC75 boats have to remain the new AC class. The AC9F itself has to gain wide adoption. And there have to be well-supported intermediate events during off-years. Otherwise, there will be no development.

Again, I can see the longer-term logic here. CHN wins either way. But, as I said, I also don't think it negates CHN's SailGP participation in the next season or two by any means. It's simply an annual, global sailing league that can train foiling sailors. It will still be there after the AC36 spray settles. CHN's not stupid. When they get better at foiling - they'll want to show that off.

Well, I'd say the above decision by team CHN didn't age well. My bet is that they will be back in next season. We'll see.

Re-watching some of the action at Cowes in 2019.  I'm wondering why the cats seem to lose so much speed through tacks, mark roundings etc, compared to the AC75s? See AUS go from 47 knots down to nearly 20. Wasn't the best rounding though, others kept speed up better, but generally the F50s seem slower to round than the AC75s?

Well, one thing you have is about 5 tons more weight with the AC75 - as well as 8 more meters of mast, more sail area, more crew, etc. But even so, you still also have a 15-20 knot differential for the AC75s...when they were actually able to go "fast"...

1601943554_ScreenShot2021-04-05at5_03_02PM.thumb.png.d0cd64a76814c6955c5ce3beba9b3245.png

257336543_ScreenShot2021-04-05at5_03_57PM.thumb.png.01d35264e88a5d2e2391f2b5f968093e.png

• Like 1
8 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Well, one thing you have is about 5 tons more weight with the AC75 - as well as 8 more meters of mast, more sail area, more crew, etc. But even so, you still also have a 15-20 knot differential for the AC75s...when they were actually able to go "fast"...

I suppose that the maximum power any sailing boat can use  is determined by the ability to balance Heel with Righting Moment.  Max. width of the F50 is 8.8m, but centre of lift from the foil is somewhat inboard, as is the "ballast" - the crew. Will have to work this out one day. ;)

JUST IN:

Australia SailGP Team just announced their Crew Line Up for Season 2: Tom Slingsby, Kyle Langford, Jason Waterhouse and Sam Newton return from 2019. They added Nick Hutton from the UK plus Nina Curtis (who competed in the VOR in 2017/18 with Team Brunel) and Lisa Darmanin.

I hope Darmanin gets the gig which would put her out as Sailing Expert for SailGP's TV Coverage. Her consistently pumping up Slingsby irked me during 2019.

• Like 2

It's fun watching these teams come together. I'll be interested in the m/f mix on each - and the results that come from it.

2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Her consistently pumping up Slingsby irked me during 2019.

Tough one to understand why she would do so. They were class of the field, her helm (and cousin) was on the boat and they were all from her home country. Now if they hadn't been the class of the field, maybe you would have had good reason to be irked. I think Lisa did a reasonable job, all things considered.

13 hours ago, SimonN said:

Tough one to understand why she would do so. They were class of the field, her helm (and cousin) was on the boat and they were all from her home country. Now if they hadn't been the class of the field, maybe you would have had good reason to be irked. I think Lisa did a reasonable job, all things considered.

Darmanin was completely clueless at times as Expert. Hope she is gone!

Daniela Moroz per Instagram is pretty stoked to be on this team, describing it as her "first ever job", other than being the worlds best kite foiler I guess.  Also twice Rolex/US Sailing Yachtswoman-of-the-year while in high school.   

• Like 2
20 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

@smackdaddy

You might be interesed in this:

Moroz-Perez-PCJ-Presti.jpg?fm=webp&w=164

https://sailgp.com/news/us-sailgp-team-lineup-complete/

Are these Women kids or what?

I'd say the overall results will be your answer. That's what makes this season so interesting.

9 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

Daniela Moroz per Instagram is pretty stoked to be on this team, describing it as her "first ever job", other than being the worlds best kite foiler I guess.  Also twice Rolex/US Sailing Yachtswoman-of-the-year while in high school.   

Rolex/US Sailing Yachtswoman of the Year doesn't equal "Rolex World Yachtswoman of the Year" Moroz isn't a Carolijn Brouwer for starters.

58 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Rolex/US Sailing Yachtswoman of the Year doesn't equal "Rolex World Yachtswoman of the Year" Moroz isn't a Carolijn Brouwer for starters.

Daniela Moroz is an incredible future talent with 2 world championships under her belt at only 19 years old. It will be interesting to see what she can achieve over the next 40 years.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I think it's OK if you win it twice when you're still in high school. And as you know she's won it for being so dominant in kite foiling which is awesome if only to troll the 6 and 8 ktsb super fans who don't even consider the AC75s to be actual sailing.  

• Like 1

Our main man Jason in Bermuda sent on some pics, he is hoping to upload some videos to his MyislandhomeBDA YouTube channel soon too

DSCN3519.JPG

DSCN3529.JPG

DSCN3538.JPG

• Like 1
22 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Have we seen final rosters for all the the teams?

No, SailGP JPN, SailGP ESP and SailGP GBR are missing. They probably reveal their Roster on Thursday. Right now the Event is a little bit in limbo.

• Like 1

Sweet! Those are great pics! Let me know when the vids are up!

• Like 1

Seems Russ is still confident the Bermuda event can happen - with some "dispensations".

I think we'll see some flying cats.

32 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Seems Russ is still confident the Bermuda event can happen - with some "dispensations".

I think we'll see some flying cats.

We'll see!

Just getting round to watching today's racing. I do like Ben's assessment...

"To see the lineup of talent - it's something we've not seen in a long, long time - if ever. It's going to be some of the most exciting racing people have ever seen."

Sounds like SailGP to me.

I'll put up my always-sought-after analysis of the races elsewhere - but one thing is for sure: Winning an "America's Cup" (and being the next CoR) obviously doesn't mean much when it comes to the real racing at the pinnacle of racing.

1154590337_ScreenShot2021-04-25at1_17_58AM.thumb.png.0a8421f7dd3386d20b3cf1fa7badfb57.png

1980895762_ScreenShot2021-04-25at1_35_55AM.thumb.png.d87da701054402dbf62dbc8a7655a803.png

1711733279_ScreenShot2021-04-25at1_36_17AM.thumb.png.8906894cb73e0760c6e7ffd1f6e9c74a.png

The F50s are obviously NOT the AC50s. At least the CoR saved a bit of face in R3.

I won't use the word "humiliation" but....well....

Heh.

@smackdaddy

Ben Ainslie was a "Class of his Own" today and if Burling had not pulled that move at the Bottom Mark in Race 5 despite having no chance making the Final and Ben with the right of way had to avoid him the Brits would have won all 3 Races.