The thing to remember is that SailGP is, first and foremost, a "'television' product" (RC has been very clear about this from the beginning). As such, it's for a wide, general audience. Not just a whingey cadre of traditionalist sailors.

And I don't think anyone can argue against the fact that SailGP is hands down the best and most consistent televised racing this sport has ever seen. Period.

As I said at the time, Jody and Shirley were fantastic for season 1 - as was the production quality. But I think the goal was a more youthful sheen on "the product". Changes were made in that direction. And I have no problem with that. It makes perfect sense. But then the commentating crew AND the production quality in Sydney for the start of S2 were a freakin' dumpster fire. So, changes were made again. And the quality has improved by leaps and bounds.

The bottom line is that, as a televised series, the feel has to be future...not past. And changes - to commentators, production methods, etc/ - are continually being made to ensure that. It's evolution in exactly the right direction for the sport.

So when forum dudes are whinging about moving away from the use of traditional speed terminology that came from toothless, scurvy-ridden, rigging' friggers dragging ropes in the water vs. the universally understood metric of actual speed. I just roll my eyes. After all, at 90+kph, the rope is skimming along the surface and the friggers are holding on for dear life.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Denmark SailGP has a new look with two Women coming onboard https://sailgp.com/news/den-unveils-star-studded-crew/

When the Volvo Ocean Race requested proposals for an inshore foiler for their stop overs, I considered the problem of having multiple very fast boats sailing in constricted areas.  I proposed this. Ig

GBR hits 53.1 knots in Aarhus today. Fastest boats on the planet...and just getting started... https://twitter.com/SailGP/status/1428046536668291078?s=20

Posted Images

here are the universally understood metrics of actual speed.  Marketers have picked the units at the sail gp broadcast, apparently.  Sailors do use knots to this day.  meters per second could be an interesting option, they are about as useful as kph to an american.

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 7.08.12 AM.png

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

So when forum dudes are whinging about moving away from the use of traditional speed terminology that came from toothless, scurvy-ridden, rigging' friggers dragging ropes in the water vs. the universally understood metric of actual speed. I just roll my eyes. After all, at 90+kph, the rope is skimming along the surface and the friggers are holding on for dear life.

Less so than the those hanging onto an aircraft doing 550 knots perhaps!  Yep, knots are used by most aircraft flying (metres per second in the old Eastern Block...halve the value for knots) because knots are nautical miles per hour...useful for navigation.  Not a traditional term, more a fundamental one in the nautical and aviation world. 

But KPH is what SGP chose, so we reluctantly live with it....just don't justify it as knots being traditional.  If you want to be metric, use MPS ('the universally understood metric of actual speed')  

• Like 2

Touché on your point about nautical miles and the relation to navigation. But while perfectly valid, that's a very specific context that just doesn't apply to this kind of racing. Neither is it understood by the larger public - who is the audience for SailGP...and already have a common terminology for speed. F1 doesn't use knots either.

So my point is that trying to "enforce" that kind of reference point onto something where it simply doesn't fit - purely because it's traditional language - deserves a bit of a smacking.

*On the point about Merkins not understanding it  - learn. Watch the races in your car and look at your speedometer for reference if you need to.

On the point about Merkins not understanding it  - learn. Watch the races in your car and look at your speedometer for reference if you need to.

Dangerous advice.....oh, you mean in a parked car! 

It would be interesting to know how many cars worldwide have KPH speed displayed on a dial!  I'm in Espana and I just get digits shown when moving....no comparison to MPH.

But as I said, I have no real problem with KPH, just the comment that knots are traditional, cos only the origin of the word is, not the usage.  What's on the F50 displays by the way (not the ones on the App)?

Looking forward to the next event...more wind please!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Touché on your point about nautical miles and the relation to navigation. But while perfectly valid, that's a very specific context that just doesn't apply to this kind of racing. Neither is it understood by the larger public - who is the audience for SailGP...and already have a common terminology for speed. F1 doesn't use knots either.

The problem is that familiarity is, IMO, actually working against SGP rather than in favor.

If a non sailing guy watches the race and sees "35 kn" he'll probably think, well, that's probably good... maybe he'll ask his "boat friend"

- hey how fast does your boat go?

- 7 kn on a good day

- Wow.. these F50 are pretty fast then

if the same guy watches the race and reads "64 km/h" he'll think:

- what's the big deal? my crappy car is faster than that! Formula 1 do 340!

• Like 2

I just put up the in-app analysis of R3 in Aarhus. Not only does it show how the SA prognosticators (except for me, of course) got it completely wrong regarding how the AC-related teams would supposedly "dominate", but it also contains a penalty call that takes more than 25 seconds. This is important in relation to the "The Call" against GBR in the final that I already covered as well...where there was a complaint that the 17 second lag somehow proved it was invalid. Once you see how the umpires are doing what they are doing in the app, you'll understand. As I discussed with Shang earlier, this is not the racing of yesteryear.

These races are clearly demonstrating that SailGP truly is the ultimate proving ground for actual sailing. Maybe that will change in the future - but as for now, there is simply nothing out there that compares. Period.

SailGP truly is the ultimate proving ground for actual sailing

LOL, so if i take a dingy sailboat out in the ocean and blast around for an hour i wasn't actually sailing?

A wing is not a sail in the tradition sense, and the boats have electric motors.  If anything calling these cats sailboats is a stretch.

There's nothing much at all "traditional" about SailGP. That's kind of the point. And as of now, the same generally holds true for the America's Cup. But the latter, as is understood by most, and as clearly shown by the SailGP results, is really just a boat design competition. SailGP is a sailing competition...the ultimate one at this point.

An F1 automobile is still an automobile - though it may look nothing like your traditional Yugo.

So knock yourself out sailing your dingy. But my comment stands.

SailGP Event in Christchurch has been removed from the App and SailGP Website meaning it's now officially cancelled.

Only 3 Events remain: Cadiz (Spain), Sydney (Australia) and San Francisco (USA).

That puts everything into a whole new perspective given how tight the Overall Season Championship Leaderboard is. Every Penalty Point you get will be magnified.

I expect some big fights in Cadiz.

• Like 1

I already put up the St. Tropez R1 in-app analysis, but then realized I'd missed a goldmine of fun at the finish as the Kiwis - you know, the "Reigning America's Cup Champions" - were freakin' hip-checked off the podium and into the backdrop by Robertson and ESP. I mean, look this glorious sequence!

Nathan in the zone - he's always in the zone...

1274437385_ScreenShot2021-09-22at12_17_02PM.png.b0d459744ff6331de0c91a0c4eca3173.png

NZ cops P1 as they break The Outteridge Rule...(stop your moaning Ben)...

522687452_ScreenShot2021-09-22at12_17_17PM.png.b2becf556f660b02ac6943c6fb6cd2b7.png1382185389_ScreenShot2021-09-22at12_17_45PM.png.43e8b0390015550f5d691c48c0f07b7f.png

Then as Burling tries to recover and take 3rd, Phil comes in for the humiliating smackdown...

600408171_ScreenShot2021-09-22at12_18_17PM.png.d47ecafe2c8dee7bd428763f28d6ad1a.png1981727573_ScreenShot2021-09-22at12_18_44PM.png.7baef3e46c987ecbadb24baced550ab6.png

And they limp across in fourth, dragging yet another P behind them...

515923266_ScreenShot2021-09-22at12_19_09PM.png.bb639e93241ff8c8285354eb37d3195b.png

And Burling looks like a toddler who has just been very publicly spanked...

386881352_ScreenShot2021-09-22at12_19_29PM.png.a19d0b255ed32172c44c7c2cab49ab09.png

Which - is accurate. He has. NZL is clearly out of their league when it comes to OD sailing with the best in the world.

So, this was so good, I'm doing an addendum vid to see the shenanigans from the onboard cameras of all 3 boats. Just glorious.

I posted in one of the SGP threads about how the Crankworks mountain bike event in Rotorua got 80 MIQ spots and SailGP not getting them. I'm starting to think the government phoned Forourselves himself and asked how important SGP was and he replied that it was considerably less important than the MacGregor 26 World Championships.   

16 minutes ago, Foiling Optimist said:

I posted in one of the SGP threads about how the Crankworks mountain bike event in Rotorua got 80 MIQ spots and SailGP not getting them. I'm starting to think the government phoned Forourselves himself and asked how important SGP was and he replied that it was considerably less important than the MacGregor 26 World Championships.   

Can you translate for non kiwis? (I'm a former Wellington dweller yet can't make heads nor tails of it). 

2 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

Interesting. My hunch is that there is still way too much political heat on sailing due to the economic dumpsterfire that was AC36. Hard to jump right back in after you've just lost $250M. Bike races don't usually do that to countries.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, martin 'hoff said:

Can you translate for non kiwis? (I'm a former Wellington dweller yet can't make heads nor tails of it). 

I can't translate it for non-kiwis since I'm Canadian and don't speak Kiwi. It boils down to the fact that a mountain bike event, in fact, a freestyle themed mountain bike event that isn't even a UCI World Cup so is not important from a world sport perspective, got 80 spots for international athletes in the New Zealand "Managed Isolation Quarantine" system or whatever they call it, where Sail GP which is a multimillion dollar single entity business, failed to do so. 

Intersting. One major event that has been around a very long time has its hand out begging for participation and partnership.

SailGP has a line out the door already...

There are those who believe an America’s Cup hosted in Ireland is a dream worth chasing.

And there are those who are just dead against it.

But there are also those who think that if Ireland has to host any international sailing event, it should be one with more appeal, and less cost, like SailGP — the sailing world’s fastest racing league.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/spotlight/arid-40701425.html

We have yet another change on the Season Championship Leaderboard:

Great Britain has been penalized two further Points dropping their Season Total to 32 Points.

Japan leading with 37 Points followed by Australia and the United States at 35 Points.

Those 3 Teams would make the all important Grand Final in San Francisco right now.

16 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

We have yet another change on the Season Championship Leaderboard:

Great Britain has been penalized two further Points dropping their Season Total to 32 Points.

Japan leading with 37 Points followed by Australia and the United States at 35 Points.

Those 3 Teams would make the all important Grand Final in San Francisco right now.

Hmmmm. Did Ben screw up calling bs on the penalty against Japan? Regardless of whether the penalty was correct, that was a ballsy way to talk with umpires.

@martin 'hoff & @smackdaddy

Looks like the Weather is finally delivering next weekend in Cadiz. Saturday looks similar light winds to Saint-Tropez BUT on Sunday it could blow off socks in Cadiz. They could have 16-20 knots gusting into the low 20ties. They haven't seen these conditions since the 2nd Day in Bermuda. Slingsby & Ainslie would love those high winds. Even Slingsby admitted numerous times that they struggle in the light.

@smackdaddy

GREAT BRITAIN SAILGP TEAM OVERALL SEASON SCORECARD

Bermuda: 10 Points
Taranto: 5 Points
Plymouth: 7 Points
Aarhus: 8 Points
Saint-Tropez: 4 Points

TOTAL: 34 Points minus 2 Penalty Points from Saint-Tropez by crashing into the Spanish Boat = 32 Points.

I think that's a pretty safe bet on the Germans entering the fray. The question is - who will replace FRA next season?

On the GBR thing, I understood you to say they were recently docked 2 additional points. Weren't those applied after St. Tropez? Losing points with collisions is a known factor. So no surprise there.

In any case - I just put up R4 in St. Tropez. Actually some fantastic racing.

I think that's a pretty safe bet on the Germans entering the fray. The question is - who will replace FRA next season?

On the GBR thing, I understood you to say they were recently docked 2 additional points. Weren't those applied after St. Tropez? Losing points with collisions is a known factor. So no surprise there.

In any case - I just put up R4 in St. Tropez. Actually some fantastic racing.

You really think FRA SailGP Team will be replaced? I don't think so!

• Like 1

I definitely think they are on the cusp. That's why Billy is gone. It's not just the losing, but they can't find sponsorship either. So it's a death spiral. RC has been very clear they they need to improve to stay. So Dubois is pulling out the stops.

All that said, it would be a major story to have a sailing-strong country like FRA booted from SailGP - but these are the big leagues. There's no reason for SailGP to support a team that can't support itself - or win. Far too many others standing in line to protect them even for tradition's sake.

Clock's ticking.

• Downvote 1

Hoff - just curious, why are you always so personally offended by my posts? This last one about FRA had nothing bad to say - at least certainly nothing that everyone else in the sport is not already saying (Coutts, Dubois, etc.). It's just what it is.

I mean, I don't really care one way or the other what buttons you hit - but this whole upvote/downvote thing is very ACA-ish. I try to always throw a bone to dg when he makes a fair point because he was mercilessly down slammed in the AC threads. Apart from that - who cares?

10 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

it would be a major story to have a sailing-strong country like FRA booted from SailGP - but these are the big leagues.

You're curious so I'll explain. Sometimes you post interesting stuff, regardless of whether I agree or not. Yay. 

But the AC bashing, and comments like the above are fully worthy of a 10 year old bragging in the schoolyard. These are the big leagues ... – you are talking about a country that is dominant in broad range of sailing events, and this is a new league isn't proven (there's a lot to prove given some odd rules in there) and can't make ends meet (yet).

I like SailGP, and like anything else it's got strengths, it's got some bs. It's trying some unconventional stuff -- love to discuss it. But childish fanboyism isn't my cup of tea.

Got it. So you feel perfectly justified mocking dg with 10-yo braggadocio memes, but then get bent if I mention the fact - the fact - that a country that, in your words, "is dominant in a broad range of sailing events" is clearly failing to win and failing to find sponsors in a league that, from the beginning, has made clear that the latter is required - making the former critical?

Well, keep hitting that button then, because notwithstanding your own hypocrisy, I certainly intend to say whatever I want to say.

As for the AC-bashing, that's complicated. Mostly I bash it so hard because I endured for years a deluge of the inverse in the SGP threads in ACA (and here when I started my first thread). Their hew and cry in ACA that SGP had nothing to do with the AC and was a completely inferior and ill-fated "circus" attempt at premiere sailing - which they didn't want to discuss - is why I came here and started these SGP threads. And, I don't know if you've noticed, but these threads of mine have been the most viewed on this sleepy little forum. So, I granted the ACA chuckleheads a respite while bringing MHA some much-needed life. I'd say that's pretty magnanimous of me.

So, yes, I do a good bit of tongue-in-cheek bashing of the AC (and Kiwis) just to rile that crowd. At the same time, most all my points on the matter are valid. For example, your statement that SailGP "isn't proven" is utterly ridiculous. In terms of sailing competition - it is more than proven. Just look at the racing and the field of competitors. When it comes to racing at the highest level - this is it. Period. There is simply no argument to be made otherwise. It's the reason all the best sailors in the world are racing in SailGP - and why there is a line out the door for other teams to come in. There is nothing left to prove there. And it will only continue to improve.

The AC, on the other hand, is a boat design competition. As such, it may be the pinnacle of boat design, but it's clearly no longer the pinnacle of sailing. And that's a critical distinction...and a fact. Look at NZ's performance - or lack thereof. Numbers don't lie.

Financially? Granted, it's early yet for SailGP. But one certainly has to like the growth trends that are evident. But, that too brings us back to FRA. How do you expect SailGP to become financially successful if they are subsidizing poorly performing teams simply because they were, at some time, "dominant in a broad range of sailing events"?

Again, you seem to like to have things both ways. I see a trend.

So, like or don't like. I don't care. Just learn.

And to my point...yet again...

https://sailgp.com/news/ben-ainslie-great-britain-team-franchise-ownership/

Cádiz - Andalusia, SPAIN - October 6, 2021 - Ahead of the sixth event in the global racing league’s second season in Cádiz - Andalusia, the Great Britain SailGP Team has become the first of the existing eight SailGP teams to evolve to a third party owned franchise with Ben Ainslie, the world’s most successful Olympic sailor and America’s Cup winner, taking majority ownership of the team.

This announcement comes with further news that two additional new third-party owned franchise teams will be joining the league for Season 3, the first of which was announced as a Swiss team on September 6 in Geneva. This follows news earlier in the year of ROCKWOOL becoming a Team Operator of the Danish team.

And in case you need further explanation, THIS is the main financial differentiator with SailGP. The sailors can become the owners.

And this is exactly why FRA is on the cusp as I said.

Anymore questions?

Hey, that UK bit is good development. I do hope that there's a roadmap to dropping the training time limitations and other factors that hold leading teams back artificially.

TBH like SailGP, and hope it gets to be what RC/LE have envisioned. I just don't like your way-over-the-top commentary – SailGP is one of many sailing competitions I follow with interest, each for slightly different reasons. Might be your one and only, but most sailors follow a bunch of different ones. Now,  this thread is about SailGP, not about you, or me. So, it's high time we move on to more factual discussion.

Well, you make it about you when you try to dictate what should or shouldn't be said...especially in my thread.

As for other events, I don't really care who follows what. That's completely up to them. I follow plenty of events myself. My point is that SailGP is currently the pinnacle event in sailboat racing (with the Vendee a very close second in a different category). It IS the big leagues just as I said. And there is plenty of factual evidence to back that up. How that makes you or others feel is kind of irrelevant.

So, I'll keep stating the facts - with a bit of shade thrown here and there to keep it fun - as I always do. Read or don't read. It's completely up to you. 

The last month newly introduced Switzerland SailGP Team takes flight for the 1st Time on the Spanish SailGP Team Boat with Phil Robertson acting as a Teacher.

The 9th Boat of the SailGP Circuit for Season 3, which will belong to the Swiss SailGP Team, is currently been constructed at Core Builders Composites in Warkworth, New Zealand.

The Switzerland SailGP Team, announced last month as the ninth team to join the global sailing league, will begin racing at the start of Season 3, with three of their crew already confirmed.

Sebastien Schneiter has been appointed Driver of the Swiss boat, and he got his first taste of being onboard an F50 this week as he went out on the waves in Cadiz alongside Switzerland teammates Nils Theuninck (Tactician/Grinder) and Arthur Cevey (Grinder).

RP2_7848.jpg?fm=webp&w=1263

With Spain’s F50 used for the practice session, Schneiter, Theuninck and Cevey were shown the ropes and taught how to use one of the most cutting-edge racing boats in the world, with Spain Driver Phil Robertson acting as teacher.

RP1_3874_1.jpg?fm=webp&w=1263

Spending around two hours on the water on Monday as the wind speed averaged 18.1km/h, the rookie team managed to take their boat speed beyond 50km/h on a number of occasions, in what can only be called an impressive first training session.

Schneiter and his teammates were back out on the Bay of Cadiz on Tuesday for a second period of practice, and we expect to see the Switzerland team utilsiing similar training sessions throughout the remainder of Season 2 as they aim to get to grip with the F50 before making their competitive debut at the start of Season 3 next year.

Gotta say, pretty impressive from the new Swiss Guys!!!

• Like 1

I'm right there with you on the F1 series, Soma. I've binged them all. Grosjean's crash was the most insane thing I've ever seen. But the behind-the-scenes machinations of the teams, and how anyone on these teams only remains if they win is an apt analogy to what we're seeing with SGP. FRA seems to be the Williams Racing of SGP right now. Great heritage, poor results.

As for the delay, the fact that they are racing year round across the globe, and working to add events each season is amazing in its own right within the world of sailing.

1 hour ago, Soma said:

Eventually I’d hope to see two sets of boats so they can double the number of events per season and halve the time between events. It’s pretty impressive that F1 can pull off 21 events in 6 months. This month long delay between events in SailGP is a bummer. 

Ive recently gotten obsessed with the Netflix F1 series. Lots of lessons to learn for SailGP!

Agreed. WRT the Netflix series, we've been watching it as well, and I think that the drama and character building "Racing on the edge" shorts are inspired by that series.

Finally, the Female Athletes of SailGP get their Chance to race!

BB107469_1.jpg?fm=webp&w=1263

From left to right Nina Curtis (AUS), Andrea Emone (ESP), Erica Dawson (NZL), Katja Salskov-Iversen (DEN), Hannah Mills (GBR), CJ Perez (USA), Amelie Riou (FRA), Sena Takano (JPN)

BB107025_1.jpg?fm=webp&w=1263BB107234.jpg?fm=webp&w=1263

https://sailgp.com/news/womens-pathway-program-athletes-race-sail-grand-prix-fir

• Like 1

That's awesome. I'm going to be very interested how this affects performance.

I think, possibly, that's one of the drivers to the 3-man boats. To see what the absolute minimums are for getting the 50s around the course in a compelling way. Then build from there and measure performance.

It's gonna be fun.

8 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

That's awesome. I'm going to be very interested how this affects performance.

I think, possibly, that's one of the drivers to the 3-man boats. To see what the absolute minimums are for getting the 50s around the course in a compelling way. Then build from there and measure performance.

It's gonna be fun.

I think it will help the Performance greatly. Now you have someone sitting at the back of the Boat who can do Tactics/Strategy/Wind Spotting (especially if it's light) which usually falls to the Wing Trimmer or Flight Controller.

I just put up the in-app analysis of the final in St. Tropez...

Absolutely bonkers start. An idiot in a rib cuts through the starting box and just about collides with JPN. This obviously leads to the classic "pink flag" Sailing Anarchy joke. Then JPN pulls yet another iffy penalty call. USA looks to be squarely in command. Until they aren't. Finally, a couple of very clear examples of why VMG is king. 5-Smacks!

Heh.

@smackdaddy

Some interesting News: SailGP is keeping the Practice Results from today under wraps. It could be that tomorrows conditions are too light for racing and the Results from todays Practice Racing will count towards the Overall Result of the Spain Sail Grand Prix.

I am not saying that will happen but there is a strong possibility. We haven't seen any Pictures from todays Practice Races as well.

• Like 1

NYT coverage - https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/08/sports/sailing/sailgp-catamarans-speed.html 

It's super Press-Release-y, the boats seem to have materialized out of nowhere in 2019, and helmsmen "call themselves 'drivers' ". It's clearly the SailGP marketing lingo and canon. The article seems to cut off oddly. No mention of the cities in the circuit, female sailors on board and lots of other salient points.

But. It's beyond good to get some attention on the paper of record. 

This has gotta sting...

The Kiwis, whose single SailGP race win this season came when skipper Pete Burling was not driving their F50...

Oof.

Burling=Besson=Buh-bye

Well, Jordi was driving today for ESP (not Robertson). He did okay against much more experienced guys. I mean, he didn't get lapped. And the young Spaniards were very happy to bring it home - even in third. So you have to give that to him.

But it also shows how good Robertson is.

SAIL GP TO USE LIGHT AIR WING CONFIGURATION TODAY (Based on ACCU Weather Forecast)FBPshxlWEAMxsmZ?format=jpg&name=medium

vlcsnap-2021-10-09-14h54m07s855.png

vlcsnap-2021-10-09-14h54m42s956.png

vlcsnap-2021-10-09-14h55m13s132.png

vlcsnap-2021-10-09-14h55m44s840.png

This Configuaration was used at Saint Tropez Day 2!

Light Air Wing = 29.4 M/131.7 m²/Range: 0-19 kph

Light Air Boards = 2.8M/0.85 m²/Range: 0-22 kph

Light Air Rudders = 1.4M/0.25 m²/Range: 0-22 kph

• Like 1

Unless they make some Last-Minute Crew Changes here are the Crews for Fleet Race 1:

FLEET RACE ONE

Australia SailGP Team
Tom Slingsby
Jason Waterhouse
Kyle Langford
Sam Newton
Kinley Fowler
Nina Curtis

Denmark SailGP Team
Nicolai Sehested
Tom Johnson
Rasmus Køstner
Hans-Christian Rosendahl
Lars-Peter Rosendahl
Katja Salskov-Iversen

France SailGP Team
Quentin Delapierre
Leigh McMillan
Francois Morvan
Matthieu Vandame
Olivier Herledant
Amelie Riou

Great Britain SailGP Team
Ben Ainslie
Iain Jensen
Luke Parkinson
Richard Mason
Matt Gotrel
Hannah Mills

Japan SailGP Team
Nathan Outteridge
Chris Draper
Francesco Bruni
Timothy Morishima
Yuki Kasatani
Sena Takano

New Zealand SailGP Team
Peter Burling
Blair Tuke
Andy Maloney
Josh Junior
Louis Sinclair
Erica Dawson

Spain SailGP Team
Phil Robertson
Florian Trittel
Diego Botin
Joan Cardona
Mateu Barber
Andrea Emone

United States SailGP Team
Jimmy Spithill
Paul Campbell-James
Rome Kirby
Andrew Campbell
Alex Sinclair
CJ Perez

28 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

With light air, will/did they go with 4?

No, 6 it is + Ben & Hannah schooled everyone how it's done. Aussies got the Start but great tactical Decisons by Ben/Hannah.

Yeah - today was pretty epic. Incredibly good racing...again. And it was good to see the ladies on the pepper grinders.

This is the first race I've watched live in the app. Learned a couple of things I'll share in my next round of analysis vids.

One other issue that is becoming painfully obvious: Blair and Tuke are simply not up to the standards of SailGP. TNZ is gong to have to think long and hard about what to do for next season. 

Another thing that is super interesting to me is why GBR were so dominant in Sydney. They upper-mid fleet in terms of results now. My hunch is that it was pure intimidation - not talent. But it was some serious intimidation to go undefeated in Sydney based on what we're seeing now. Or may BA just has dad-bod now?

55 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Yeah - today was pretty epic. Incredibly good racing...again. And it was good to see the ladies on the pepper grinders.

This is the first race I've watched live in the app. Learned a couple of things I'll share in my next round of analysis vids.

One other issue that is becoming painfully obvious: Blair and Tuke are simply not up to the standards of SailGP. TNZ is gong to have to think long and hard about what to do for next season. 

Another thing that is super interesting to me is why GBR were so dominant in Sydney. They upper-mid fleet in terms of results now. My hunch is that it was pure intimidation - not talent. But it was some serious intimidation to go undefeated in Sydney based on what we're seeing now. Or may BA just has dad-bod now?

Ainslie was in control of Races 1 + 2. Race 1 he & AUS nailed the Starts and then Ben & Hannah worked their magic to sail around the Aussies.

Race 2 he had in control until 5 Seconds before the Start when it became apparent he was early.

These Starts especially in the light winds are super critical.

Keep in mind when you making references to Sydney 2020: That Event was raced in more medium breeze 13-15 knots where Ainslie feels most comfortable.FBRSKL4XoAEfNBs?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1

@smackdaddy

And let's be honest here: The only Reason Nathan is leading the Series is because the vast majority of the Events/Races are being held in lightish winds. Outteridge has yet to prove his heavy air prowness. He got clobbered in Cowes by Tom in 2019.

You're wrong regarding Nathan. Yes, we absolutely DO know he's the hands-down King of Light Air Racing. But he ALMOST won season 1. You don't get into the championship final (especially with venues like SF, Cowes, etc.) if you only have one single tool in your box. So let's not get carried away.

36 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I also do not trust the "RACE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM" That System is crap. No way were the Brits over the line in Race 2.

If you ignore the graphics, but look down the line, between the masts on the marks, they were definitely over. The RM system is about the best you could possibly have, each F50 and race mark has accurate RTK GPS position with corrections applied. The F50s all have high end IMUs, as does the heli.

The graphics sometimes lag the RM system, so can give a false impression. Tough to do on a race course that does not sure a nice stationary stadium to have fixed positions.

5 minutes ago, Potter said:

If you ignore the graphics, but look down the line, between the masts on the marks, they were definitely over. The RM system is about the best you could possibly have, each F50 and race mark has accurate RTK GPS position with corrections applied. The F50s all have high end IMUs, as does the heli.

The graphics sometimes lag the RM system, so can give a false impression. Tough to do on a race course that does not sure a nice stationary stadium to have fixed positions.

That System is based out of London and is controlled out of the UK. It's IMO as bad as the Challenge System that's being used in Tennis Tournaments when they play on Hardcourt or Grass.

How do you even know that the System is properly calibrated? No one knows that!

I'll check it in my in-app analysis vid. Judging by a crap-ton of races now, the system is pretty spot on. Sometimes the judges give a bit of leeway - but the system doesn't.

So we'll see. But I definitely trust the system much more than I trust your eyeballs and conspiracy theories. I'll say that much. I've yet to conclude that you're "properly calibrated". Heh.

How do I know it is calibrated? Because when the team arrive on site they put a GPS up on a fixed site and start logging data, originally this was done for about 10 days. Now it is down to about 3 days.

The corrections are applied real time. Being in London makes no difference to the measurement, that is all done on site. 

The lag from Sydney to London is less than 1 ms over fibre, so it is not an issue for the TV production.

As shown in my analysis vids - there is a slight delay between what you see on screen and what's happening in the live Umpire App. So that can throw people off a bit if they're just watching the screen in relation to penalties. But the Umpire App is solid - and it's king.

I am curious to see today's race with a bit more wind... SailGP has been really unlucky with low winds this year.

My impression is that this season the results look very very random.. you get a boat winning a race and then ending up close to last place the next race.

Watching Season 1 there was a much more clear distinction between the top guys (mostly Slingers and Nathan) and the rest of the fleet. In the aborted Season 2 Ben Ainslie dominated every race.. this season is all over the place and the overall season leaderboard proves it by showing only about 10 points gap between first and last.

While it's good to have unpredictable races there's a thin line between close competition and something that feels totally random.

Well that was like season 1 in New York …..

loose as fuck 

great effort from Denmark not to hit the aussies at mark 1 in the first 4 crazy close

then for the USA and Aus to miss GBR IN THE FINAL was crazy crazy ….

just the way we like it …..

• Like 2

@dg_sailingfan- you were getting all verklempt about GBR's OCS penalty in R2. Well, I went back and looked as promised and it's as clear as day when you see it in the umpire app...

Here is probably what you saw - asking yourself why they have a penalty marker in the video before they even cross the line...

IMG_0184.thumb.PNG.933902cdbc2b915e4212fadb9effc004.PNG

But you have to look at the umpire view below left. As you can see in the image above, and as I mentioned already, there is a lag (understandably) between the live data feed and the broadcast video.

As you can see in the umpire app blow up here, at this point GBR is already several meters ahead of where they are in the video - and the penalty has already been called.

IMG_0186.thumb.PNG.ffe2a9369ece5c38c68769d55806801e.PNG

The other thing you'll notice is that in this particular case, the umpire is not focused on the OCS in his view, but the tussle between FRA and JPN (where a penalty has also been called). 

And this means that the OCS calls are almost certainly automated (like the boundary penalties).

GBR were early. No question.

I'll get the analysis vids up soon.

I also took a quick look at GBR's epic faceplant. In the sequence below you can see how the jib is being trimmed - and not trimmed...

Coming toward the line and powered up...

IMG_0200.thumb.PNG.4338fb24c22e749665e996671c93c70c.PNG

Eased a bit to bleed off speed...

IMG_0201.thumb.PNG.416fb8129ca2f047f37cef955b526973.PNG

Eased even more to time the start...

IMG_0202.thumb.PNG.fe67bc635200f53825a1356100d15c8f.PNG

IMG_0203.thumb.PNG.f5888e68af96fd36e05ceb851884a038.PNG

Then powering back up as they blast toward M1...

IMG_0209.thumb.PNG.aa244670b81de604e647dc549b4153d5.PNG

Camera swings to the crew...all good at this point...and they are blasting along at 76kph

IMG_0210.thumb.PNG.4e23c484146b3a16fb903865d935c3bf.PNG

But then you see Jensen starting to freak as they hit 82kph+...

IMG_0211.thumb.PNG.5a7e915461f2d78cbad7ceb24712315a.PNG

Looks a lot like a wrap...trying desperately to free it...(been there)...so everything - both wing and jib are fully powered, and he can only focus on one at a time...

IMG_0212.thumb.PNG.73d15521c2aaff207404278163f7d0c6.PNG

Now keep in mind the delay between the broadcast feed and the data feed. You can see with the onboard feed that they are already going in before you see it on the broadcast feed. Ben is ducking down - and Parkinson is focused on the controls. Hannah is being a freakin' soldier...

IMG_0213.thumb.PNG.2752ccaffa57358d19a46fbe9bdf5e6f.PNG

Going in now at 83kph (insane)...Ben is is in his foxhole while everyone else is still working the problem...Hannah is probably still calling wind shifts...

IMG_0214.thumb.PNG.40f0055599b34f2fbaae518fc6633f5a.PNG

Look at that deceleration as pitch and roll go off the chart - and the camera hits the Spanish mud...

IMG_0215.thumb.PNG.61e66c65e4aa2d29a458575a787f0f3b.PNG

99.4% of roll ALWAYS indicates a bad day.

Pretty simple explanation for this one.

• Like 1

@smackdaddy

Let's not carried away too much here: GBR hit a MEGA-GUST on that reach to the 1st Mark.

Quote from Ben after the Race Day 2:

“That was a full-on day with really breezy conditions. The first two races were good. We had a nice start in the second race especially and two second place finishes which was solid to get us through to the final podium race.

“It was a great line-up with us, USA and Australia in that podium race. We had a great start again and managed to get into the lead and then halfway across the first reach we got hit by a mega gust and between myself steering the boat, Gooby [Iain Jensen] on the wing and Maso [Richard Mason] on the jib we just didn’t get the trim and the balance of the boat right and stuck the bow in and managed to pitchpole it. That was massively frustrating as we’d done the hard bit with the start, it would have been a great race. It’s a shame but we have to learn from it. We are improving our performance and we have the package to be competitive across the wind range, but we just have to eliminate some of these mistakes that are costing us.

“Having Hannah onboard this weekend was brilliant, she’s such a star. She’s an amazing sailor and a great team player. She fitted in naturally, was helping with the boat handling in the lighter airs and across all the conditions she was playing a big role tactically in helping me make some of the key decisions. It felt like a natural combination.”

Quote from Hannah after Race Day 2:

“I had the best weekend. We are obviously disappointed with what happened with the final race, but it was awesome to be on the boat, contributing and learning. It’s great to have this opportunity.

“The first couple of races today went really well, we were fast, making good decisions and had really good boat handling. We were confident going into that last race and executed the start well. We were blasting along that first reach and unfortunately things got a bit out of whack and in those conditions there’s not much room for error. We will be coming back to Sydney looking to win.”

Ainslie doesn't reference the word "MEGA-GUST" very often. Actually you rarely hear or see him saying that. They must have been hit by an over 20 Knot Wind Puff.

So basically Slingsby wins two Events this year unchallenged because Opponents were unable to put pressure on him. In Aarhus the Umpires took the pressure away from him and he cruised to an easy victory and in Cadiz GBR capsized, USA had to avoid them and by the time they got back racing again he had an 1000M+ lead.

In the two Finals were the pressure was applied to him he won one and lost one.

Still, for all your bragging about Slingsby and his AUS Team being the best they either win or come last most of the time:

Bermuda: 2nd Place
Taranto: 8th Place
Plymouth: WON
Aarhus: WON
Saint-Tropez: 8th Place
Cadiz: WON

I maintain what I've at the beginning of the Season: The only Team who can beat him Head-to-Head are the Brits.

Regarding the above GBR sequence, what I don't know for certain is if the jib was really an issue at all. What Jensen is fighting in that last second is the wing sheet at the winch (not the jib sheet which I think is a mechanical control).

Clearly the wing is fully powered up at this point with twist and at some point the wing gets overpowered and the sheet no longer has any affect anyway - and you're going over (covered by PCJ in one of Mozzy's vids). 

That said, it could be a combo where the jib wouldn't de-power as described (mechanical issue), then Jensen started try to blow the wing and just couldn't do it in time (wrap or no wrap).

Usually it's more than one thing.