J29 fuel tank storage

Just bought a J 29 with an outboard. While wondering what to do with the gas tank I found a ten year old thread where someone made a molded  compartment in the rear end of the cockpit to fit a standard tank. Anyone know if it’s available to buy somewhere or is it a one off. Do I just need to try and make my own or have a local fibreglass guy make one?  What’s everyone else do with there gas tanks. 

No reason to put the gasoline in the cabin. Cliff sold me a fuel cubby a few years ago that creates a fiberglass bin in the aft wall of the cockpit. Fits my autohelm a three gallon fuel tank and a six pack. I can get you some specifics if you want. 

5 hours ago, BobbyZ said:

No reason to put the gasoline in the cabin. Cliff sold me a fuel cubby a few years ago that creates a fiberglass bin in the aft wall of the cockpit. Fits my autohelm a three gallon fuel tank and a six pack. I can get you some specifics if you want. 

Yes please. 

I am racing. But I’m not serious enough to make me want to store it in the bow of the boat. I don’t even want to put it anywhere down below. The cubby in the cockpit is what I’m looking for. 

It doesn’t go so far back that you can’t easily get a wrench on the nuts. Or you could remove it and get to the nuts from the cockpit without having to crawl past the quarter berth to the transom. 

On 2/6/2021 at 6:37 AM, wbrent said:

Just bought a J 29 with an outboard. While wondering what to do with the gas tank I found a ten year old thread where someone made a molded  compartment in the rear end of the cockpit to fit a standard tank. Anyone know if it’s available to buy somewhere or is it a one off. Do I just need to try and make my own or have a local fibreglass guy make one?  What’s everyone else do with there gas tanks. 

Don’t know your application 

for spare gasoline it’s common to use Rotopax fuel containers fastened to the base of the stern pulpit or on the transom 

choose the color white , less heat buildup , better looking