SSS 2021 Corinthian Regatta

Registration for the SSS 2021 Corinthian Race annouced this morning. The fun bay race is open to both Singlehanded and Doublehanded entries only. There will be a 150 boat entry limit. There will be no wait listing.  Start and finish will be at the GGYC X mark.

At 10:15am 95 have already registered. 55 spots remain open

• Like 1

An update from YRA:

Due to some logistics issues with COVID, we've had to change up our new Double-Handed Series. The good news? It's still definitely happening!

The 2 SSS races, the Corinthian and Round the Rocks race, are no longer part of the series. Those 2 dates are being rescheduled and replaced with 2 new doublehanded only YRA races. We will get the new schedule of dates out as soon as possible. We're planning a kick off date of March 14th for the 1st race. Stay tuned for more info!

So the SSS Corinthians race will no longer be on 02/27, new date is TBD.

I don't envy anyone trying to run a 150+ boat race with a shorthanded race committee. We manage with two on race committee for IYC races and 20-30 boats, so I'm impressed with what the SSS was able to do for 3BF and was planning to do for Corinthian / Round the Rocks given the constraints.

57 minutes ago, atnan said:

An update from YRA:

So the SSS Corinthians race will no longer be on 02/27, new date is TBD.

The SSS Corinthian Race is still on for 2/27, currently with 164 entries.  It's just not going to be part of YRA's Doublehanded Series.

1 minute ago, BobJ said:

The SSS Corinthian Race is still on for 2/27, currently with 164 entries.  It's just not going to be part of YRA's Doublehanded Series.

Oh wow, my bad. I was tripped up by the wording of "those 2 dates are being rescheduled".

That's great news.

I'm glad the YRA is changing to do their own series.  I wrote them the minute I saw the combined race series.    If the YRA is trying to replace what would normally be "crewed" events to Doublehanded then they shouldn't be doing it on top of the SSS.    Those crewed events had separate dates to begin with and gives more opportunity to sail.   Also, for folks doing the SSS Singlehanded series it gives them a chance to Doublehand since they can't crewed race anymore either.

this is the first year I joined the YRA and SSS concurrently. I now have a little mixed feelings with this increased mixed fleet size in the Corinthian SSS. 164 boats with even larger potential numbers, it changes the dynamics, overall safety,  let alone increased numbers one the race committee. I recognized the SSS effort to run a broad solohanded program season, and really eager to support it and plunked my money immediately down as a way to support both organizations.

considering the YRA is now running their own program and folks allowed to sail together not of the same bubble... we have to ask is that really prudent or wise to open the sailing scene to mixing bubbles? Moreover since the YRA is promoting the broad double handed series, it might be a time that they run a series of educational on line meetings to get these racers and short handed crews to make it safer for the participants and those others out there that might need to support them. Maybe it just doesn’t matter since most aren’t following federally mandated protocols anyway.

Got a little down when flying to Long Beach today. Folks we not wearing masks at airport or on plane. Bummed me out. Most likely no one will get sick sailing together but how do we know? The protocols suggest we wear masks when we are in mixed conveyances in public and private. Considering the mutations of the virus and how much easier it moves between folks, until we get 70 percent vaccination rates, we need to follow strict protocols.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Black Jack said:

Got a little down when flying to Long Beach today. Folks we not wearing masks at airport or on plane. Bummed me out. Most likely no one will get sick sailing together but how do we know? The protocols suggest we wear masks when we are in mixed conveyances in public and private. Considering the mutations of the virus and how much easier it moves between folks, until we get 70 percent vaccination rates, we need to follow strict protocols.

really so TSA and flight crews are looking the other way now? Long Beach is trump land

Still waiting on YRA for my PHRF cert.  I guess the committee meets on Monday.

I pitched in my application almost 3 weeks ago.  Not enough time, obviously.

11 hours ago, atnan said:

Might be worth emailing Laura via info@yra.org. I was also pending for the race waiting for our 2021 cert to be issued, and she quickly got us sorted out.

I talked to Laura on the phone late last week, actually.  Apparently she wasn't able to do the rating herself, and had to send it to the committee meeting on Monday. I hope that the committee gets to mine. If they don't, then no Corinthian race for me, and it's possible that no SHF either, since the committee doesn't meet until late in the month, so I'd get put off until the late March meeting.

..which is not exactly happy-making.

63614701363__2C0699C7-8C9D-4344-AEFA-A9E7691E374B.jpeg

Screen_Shot_2021-02-28_at_11_17.14_AM.png

Spent Friday night with friend Shelly hand sewing up the mainsail luff that i ripped in a hoist on Thursday so I could race.  Great long day in solo non spin class in the last group to start, spending time in sun, drinking coffee and finding every wind pocket on the bay. Was too lazy to make a headsail change. Went with the blade when I shoulda gone with the 140 and been done a hour sooner.

The Osprey were way cool and buzzed me heading back to Richmond. Nice weather for sure.

Southampton rounding was a complete shit show- just nowhere to go. The first time I was unhappy catching the bulk of the fleet after starting near the bottom in singlehanded sportboat.

Video clips of the approach to the finish trail from the Feb 27, 2021 sfbaySSS.org race

J-105

Arrived

Santa Cruz 52, City Lights

J/70

Kangaroo Jockey

Moore 24 Snafu

J/100

Grace

I had a nice day, flew the asymmetric kite in a race for the first time and didn't botch it too badly. I was 20 minutes late to the bumper-boats party at Southampton, and then elected to go through Raccoon Strait instead of back around Angel Island.  Wow. THAT ate up time, I must have wasted 40 minutes or more screwing around  in the eddys and whirlpools at the north end of Angel Island.

I know I'm slow-assed, but in my class, the last four boats all went the way I did. Of those four, I corrected out on top, yay me. But I was an HOUR behind the boat that finished right before me.  Raccoon Strait was seriously the ~Wrong~ way to go!

We had a Moore 24 round a few lengths in front of us. We went around Blunt, they went through Racoon Straights. They rounded little Harding a good 10 minutes in front of us. 

Like so much midwinter racing, often not as much where you went, as when you went. 

Really?  I didn't know that.

Well, maybe it was my bad planning and crummy sailing...or like Mr. Moab said, it was all about timing. I wasted a LOT of time going in circles in eddy's and whirlpools, and had to throw in about 4 more tacks than I wanted to. I wasn't the only one, all four of us that went through at the same time got hammered exactly the same way.    I really thought Galaxsea was going to go up on the rocks at one point, he was less than 30 feet from the shoreline.

The multihulls started first at 11:00, so they would have gone through Raccoon Strait when it was slack. Alan started at 11:55, so he was probably up against 2-3kt of current in fairly light winds.

city11080204_overlay.png

Pretty sure Alan was referring to going through Racoon on the way back form SH. We rounded a bit before 2pm. Definitely more current in Racoon, but I was concerned about breeze in the straights. Talking to two guys that went that way near the same time we went for Blunt, they said it was pretty much one port tack most of the way ,light at the exit, transition to the westerly then flop over to stbd and lay Little Harding. 

Ah, interesting. We went from Southampton Shoal to Little Harding via Raccoon Strait. It did take a little while to power through the back-eddy entering Raccoon Strait with a bit of wind shadow, but once we were 1/4 of the way to Keil Cove we powered up and broke through. I think it took us about 4 tacks to make Little Harding, which was probably 1 tack more than some of the boats that went deeper towards YRA-N before tacking and bearing away.

I too went for Raccoon Straits.  I was spun 360 in 8 kts of wind while still making 4 knots just south of the Ayala cove just after recording over 9 knots entering the straits. The boats that were near me at SHS at 4 were no where to be seen at Little Harding including the full keeled Tortuga as they when passed Point Blunt again.  The wind died while heading to Blossom rock. My 20 minute lead was gone and Tortuga passed me on Starboard.  We ended up neck and neck with me giving room to him to round at BR. We both short tacked up the city front and perhaps his full keel worked to his advantage to beat me by seconds at the finish line once i came to finish under the X mark. 

IMG_3261.jpg

The current down the east side of Angel Island was ferocious, all the way right up to the island.  Twice, I tacked hundred of yards out into the main channel just to get washed down onto  the north point....which has a name, I just can't remember it.   I finished at about 5:45, was probably going through there around 3:30-4:00.

I know why I was so slow.

1. I'm an OK but not exceptional racer.

2. I picked a small headsail for the day, figuring it would build and it didn't until very late

3. I haven't figured out the asymmetric spinnaker, yet, and that just killed me in the transition zone at Pt Blunt, on the way to SHS

4. All that BS around the entrance to Racoon Strait.  I mean, I gave up so much mileage screwing around in there that boats that had just rounded SHS actually caught up with me by the time I finally got into the Strait. It was THAT bad.  Just me being stupid.

5. I'd sort of written off placing very well in the race overall by the time I got to Little Harding, so I just headsail reached down to Blossom Rock.

Boat for Boat I was about the same speed at Tom on Slainte, the Cal 20. Something is wrong when I can't pass a Cal 20 in an S2 7.9. Either the bottom is foul, somehow, or I'm just a shitty sailer.....most likely option #2, there!

• Like 1

With you Alan.  I was reminded how much focus I lose when sailing by myself. Not taking better note of the breeze on the water, searching for relief or help from the tidals and ultimately not making larger headsail changes cost me at least 45 minutes off my total course time. I should have been working to sail fast rather than sailing for fun and photos.

1 hour ago, Black Jack said:

With you Alan.  I was reminded how much focus I lose when sailing by myself. Not taking better note of the breeze on the water, searching for relief or help from the tidals and ultimately not making larger headsail changes cost me at least 45 minutes off my total course time. I should have been working to sail fast rather than sailing for fun and photos.

Speaking of, I saw a photographer out there on a RIB. Do they have a website or something?

• 2 weeks later...