Farr 1220 vs Beneteau 40.7?

With your prescribed usage I would go with the 1220.  It is a bit older but I think the build is better than the Bene.  Not as fast as the bene but you would probably need a pretty good crew to extract all the performance out of the 40.7.  

I also like the aesthetics of the 1220 better.  I think you need to get aboard both and see which one speaks to you.

There was a 1220 that sold in PNW maybe 3 years ago to a local.  Great deal at the time.  Very nice looking interior: https://sailnorthwest.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Full-Brochure-Farr-1220.pdf

Rig looks a bit squat (like most kiwi boats) but seems to do okay in lighter stuff.  Just checked and Sailboatdata indicates it has a SA/D of over 20, which is pretty decent for a MH rig.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 12 metre said:

There was a 1220 that sold in PNW maybe 3 years ago to a local.  Great deal at the time.  Very nice looking interior: https://sailnorthwest.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Full-Brochure-Farr-1220.pdf

Rig looks a bit squat (like most kiwi boats) but seems to do okay in lighter stuff.  Just checked and Sailboatdata indicates it has a SA/D of over 20, which is pretty decent for a MH rig.

And it’s for sale again or still for sale.  

1 hour ago, Chunks Ahoy said:

And it’s for sale again or still for sale.  

Different boat. Both really good options though. 

Farr 1220 hands down. 

• Like 1

I've owned my 40.7 for five years and am very happy with it. That said, the Farr interior would appeal more to your cruising needs. Specifically, the galley has considerably more counter space and the straightforward settees would make infinitely better sea berths than the curved ones on the Bene. Agree the Bene needs crew weight on the rail to get the advertised performance but we actually show our stern to a lot of boats by using a #3 up front and keeping the main flat. Either one would be fine. I do think the elongated cabin trunk on the Farr looks wrong, though. Row away factor counts for me.

On 2/7/2021 at 8:20 AM, T sailor said:

you would probably need a pretty good crew to extract all the performance out of the 40.7.  

As opposed to every other yacht ever launched? 

On 2/6/2021 at 6:25 PM, Roleur said:

Different boat. Both really good options though. 

Farr 1220 hands down. 

Dought! Who knew there is a 1220 fleet in Seattle?  I like the price on the earlier boat better and the 40.7 I’m thinking about isn’t in canuck bucks so these boats are at the top of my budget.  Noticed the 40.7 has a cockpit traveler and german sheeting vs 1220 cabintop setup. I like everything at hand when driving so need to think on that a bit if going kiwi.  Anybody sail a 1220?  I’ve read plenty about the 40.7 (and J/120) already.

8 hours ago, Chunks Ahoy said:

Dought! Who knew there is a 1220 fleet in Seattle?  I like the price on the earlier boat better and the 40.7 I’m thinking about isn’t in canuck bucks so these boats are at the top of my budget.  Noticed the 40.7 has a cockpit traveler and german sheeting vs 1220 cabintop setup. I like everything at hand when driving so need to think on that a bit if going kiwi.  Anybody sail a 1220?  I’ve read plenty about the 40.7 (and J/120) already.

Kotuku is in Vancouver now.  Have you seen their Pac Cup (2012?) video?  Pretty awesome.  Alex Simanis from Ballard Sails was on Kotuku for that race.  He'd probably have an opinion he would share.  Graeme Esarey was the owner.  He's still in Seattle, I think sailing on the TP52 Sonic now.  I don't have his contact info, but I bet it wouldn't be hard to find.  

image.png.78fdac853f130b312ec83ce0ad2e3d9e.png

Own a Farr1220 down in NZ looked a myriad boats before buying.

An older boat for sure but quality of build was a no brainer compared to some newer production boats and the U shaped galley that you can slot into especially in a blow is a bonus.

It has well thought out interior spaces and oodles of storage.

Sail short handed mostly and have rigged the main sheet to a half German admirals cup system with block at chainplates then back aft to Starboard secondary winch easily reached from the helm, this works well.

A nice boat to be in when the things start getting interesting like above.

The two slight minuses are a relatively small cockpit from an entertainment point of view and the large wheel, we remove the wheel in marina to assist on and off with groceries etc.

26 minutes ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

The Farr 1020 isn't half bad either. Same style - just smaller. A WVYC member owns and has had it for many years. 

The 1020 is a great boat.  One of the best for it's size with a great layout.  There's one down here in Edmonds.  Probably better suited to the PNW than the 1220, with more horsepower.  Rascal won a ton of races when it blew in the high teens, but not so much below that.  

3 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

The 1020 is a great boat.  One of the best for it's size with a great layout.  There's one down here in Edmonds.  Probably better suited to the PNW than the 1220, with more horsepower.  Rascal won a ton of races when it blew in the high teens, but not so much below that.  

It's Kiwi boat/design anyway with the 1220. Yes, they did well with it. I sailed/raced the 1020 myself. It's his cruise boat these days and has it up in Pender Harbour. 

9 hours ago, xyzzy said:

The 1220 toe rail is very uncomfortable to sit on for long periods of time.  Needs additional padding.

More padding in the toe rail or your ass?  

Think I’ll give bob a call and see what he has on the canvas.  

0725_ross01.jpg