J35 rudder stop issue

I recently purchased an 85 j35. The rudder stops are 1/4 inch bolts that must protrude over an inch and don’t really provide much of a stop for the rudder. There must be a stronger way to stop the rudder from turning to far. Btw it’s a tiller.

12 hours ago, dvd said:

I recently purchased an 85 j35. The rudder stops are 1/4 inch bolts that must protrude over an inch and don’t really provide much of a stop for the rudder. There must be a stronger way to stop the rudder from turning to far. Btw it’s a tiller.

There should be two of those bolts (one on each side) and they pass through the center of a rubber piece that is actually the stop.  I sold the boat or would send a pic but perhaps a current owner of a 35 will chime in and send a pic.  Enjoy as they are great boats.

Thanks for the input. Yes there are two stops. 1/4 in bolts with rubber. The j 35 has a massive rudder system. Two 1/4 inch bolts are pretty wimpy. Thought maybe someone may have come up with something other than this. The bolts will bend over as they were when I picked up the boat 

9 hours ago, dvd said:

Thanks for the input. Yes there are two stops. 1/4 in bolts with rubber. The j 35 has a massive rudder system. Two 1/4 inch bolts are pretty wimpy. Thought maybe someone may have come up with something other than this. The bolts will bend over as they were when I picked up the boat 

The previous owner of the boat had removed both the bolts and stops to aid in backing out of his slip which I understand was tight and he felt he needed the slight additional side to side movement.  The problem is, this allows the aft end of the rudder to rub on the transom, so these were the first things I reinstalled.  I raced the boat offshore for thousands of miles and never had an issue with this system of stops.  A few thoughts though, perhaps the previous owner had a bad broach/lost control/let go of the tiller and it slammed into the stop with great force such as to bend the bolt or perhaps the bolt holes themselves are a little bit elongated and need some tlc.  As mentioned, enjoy the boat, there is a reason they are in the hall of fame and anytime I went offshore with the boat I always knew I was coming home safely.

excellent advice.  Yes these stops are what you are describing.  I'll reinstall and give them a try.  I'm mostly worried about maneuvering in close quarters in crowded starting area.  My previous boat had seriously strong stops so maybe i'm just overthinking.  Thanks again!

The stops on my boat is where the aft top end of the rudder makes contact with the hull on each side. The rudder swings about 45 degs Port/Stbd from being dead fwd and aft. Seems to work just fine like that even when the tiller got out of hand backing down once or twice and slammed someone around. I would not mind seeing some pictures of the stops as it sound interesting. 

If you let the rudder go to far and it hits the bottom of the boat you will be taking bottom paint off and potentially be damaging your rudder.  It may be that the rudder I have (mod 3) I think, has tighter tolerances than original and that's why the stops are necessary.  Once I get the boat back in the water I can post a photo.

my rudder just gently rubs into the hull. The top of the rudder is rounded enough and the point of contact is flat enough that it barely even leaves a mark in the bottom paint where it makes contact and builds resistance and just stops the rudder. The bottom paint that it does make contact is also above the normal waterline. I will be interested in seeing the photo. I should note that I am not in the habit of jamming my rudder into the hull, just the couple of times that it has happened over the last 9 years, it does not damage anything. 

On 2/10/2021 at 4:13 PM, ahab in puget said:

my rudder just gently rubs into the hull. The top of the rudder is rounded enough and the point of contact is flat enough that it barely even leaves a mark in the bottom paint where it makes contact and builds resistance and just stops the rudder. The bottom paint that it does make contact is also above the normal waterline. I will be interested in seeing the photo. I should note that I am not in the habit of jamming my rudder into the hull, just the couple of times that it has happened over the last 9 years, it does not damage anything. 

I don't have rudder stops. When I bought the boat used in 1999, they were not installed. I want to say that there is or was holes in the deck plate for the top rudder bearing to accommodate the bolts that hold the stops. I have seen them installed on other boats, so I have a good idea what they look like. I have considered installing some. I have turned the rudder against the hull a few times and once really hard when I was backing down. Never saw any damage or scraped paint. I may have some drawings somewhere in my files.

• Like 1
On 2/13/2021 at 12:45 AM, Great White said:

I don't have rudder stops. When I bought the boat used in 1999, they were not installed. I want to say that there is or was holes in the deck plate for the top rudder bearing to accommodate the bolts that hold the stops. I have seen them installed on other boats, so I have a good idea what they look like. I have considered installing some. I have turned the rudder against the hull a few times and once really hard when I was backing down. Never saw any damage or scraped paint. I may have some drawings somewhere in my files.

same same

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Mine have big chunks of rubber on them.  Never felt constrained turning the boat.  I will try to take a picture this weekend.