So Cal Trailer Paint

Any ideas for places in Southern California before i start cold calling to have the trailer painted and serviced?

I am OK with driving the trailer to the IE if necessary to get a price reduction since as soon as I say its for a sailboat in OC the price doubles usually.

Yeah - I am cheap.

Money for sails is more important but eventually I gotta take care of the trailer too.

Cheers!

Do it yourself with a brush after getting the rust off.

Use one of these in an angle grinder rather than a grinding disk.

image.png.0b10d834533d4cf778e023302075e6c6.png

• Like 1

I know TJ is the way to go - wouldnt know where to start though.

Pacific Trailers in Chino has the best bid so far - and they responded - thats half the battle.

On 2/8/2021 at 2:35 PM, Code 2 said:

Any ideas for places in Southern California before i start cold calling to have the trailer painted and serviced?

I am OK with driving the trailer to the IE if necessary to get a price reduction since as soon as I say its for a sailboat in OC the price doubles usually.

Yeah - I am cheap.

Money for sails is more important but eventually I gotta take care of the trailer too.

Cheers!

Find a guy with a sand blaster 

blast it , paint it 

this is not yacht type work 

look in the agricultural sector 

On 2/8/2021 at 9:24 PM, SloopJonB said:

Ha.... ordered one of them three days ago...to de rust my trailer!!!

• Like 1

about twenty years ago I painted a very rusty old J024 trailer with Rustoleum aluminum color.

That stuff is super runny

What I did..

I washed it with a hose in one hand and a scotch brite paint remover pad in the other hand...I spent about half an hour trying to clean off loose stuff..

the scotch brite paint remover pads are about an inch thick and maybe 3' x 4'  they come in a cardboard wrapper set of two.  Done waste your money on a handle.

Anyway..It was starting to get dark so I started frantically painting the thing with a 2" chip brush from a box of 36 brushes I bought at harbor Freight.  The whole box cost about $10

A few days later I touched up the places I missed while trying to paint in the dark.

About a year later there were a couple rusty spots so I slathered on some more paint.

Last summer, I was showing a friend my old trailer and noticed a couple rusty spots so I touched it up a bit.

I now have about 20 trailers to maintain and most of them have a first coat of the aluminum Rustoleum.  Most of them also have a coat of another light cloor over the aluminum stuff. 

They are all doing just fine.

My friend who had his trailer sandblasted and primed for the SECOND time  about the same time I painted the J-24 trailer had to do his again a few year later.  he quit wasting money ands switched to my way., His trailer still looked fine when he sold it to a fellow from mexico last summer. 

Note..when I have painted brand new shiny steel, I have had tor epaint it a few years later...but after it has a nice layer of rust, I have .found the rustoleum sticks and stays for many many many years,

I have only done about thirty trailers and only have twenty of them still here to watch. Mine might be a tiny sample compared to many of the experts who haVE POsTED so I may be an ignorant fuck...or maybe I know something. 

• Like 1

anyone use the spray on zink ? I have used it on metal roofing cuts

or PRC or similar anti rust paint other then rustoleum 

I feel zinc paint is a scam. Doubt the chemistry magic of real galvanizing works with paint. Proper red iron oxide primer is second best to re-galvanizing. Not the thin Rustoleum stuff...something from an industrial brand. To make it pretty you could finish with the faux zinc paint.

Physically remove chunky rust. Then the readily available rust converters are a miracle. Follow instructions. Then paint. 

41 minutes ago, El Borracho said:

I feel zinc paint is a scam. Doubt the chemistry magic of real galvanizing works with paint. Proper red iron oxide primer is second best to re-galvanizing. Not the thin Rustoleum stuff...something from an industrial brand. To make it pretty you could finish with the faux zinc paint.

Physically remove chunky rust. Then the readily available rust converters are a miracle. Follow instructions. Then paint. 

Use a surface tolerant paint on non sandblasted steel 

412897BB-EAF0-4261-AE16-E44A4EC73368.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 2/8/2021 at 1:24 PM, SloopJonB said:

I used a few of those on my trailer.

On 2/10/2021 at 9:41 PM, Gouvernail said:

about twenty years ago I painted a very rusty old J024 trailer with Rustoleum aluminum color.

I never hear of the Aluminum so I looked it up.
Professional Aluminum Primer Spray Product Page (rustoleum.com)

I still have rust bubbles popping up after doing my trailer. It is a dual axle O30 trailer. Harder than fuck doing it from a wheelchair. I had to get on the ground to do the bottom sides. 

• Like 1

Mr. Wad, I know we despise each others sociopolitics but I gotta give you props for your boat work.

I know how hard it can be with normal (albeit fading) mobility so your doing it from a chair is just boggling to me.

It reminded me of a story Bill Garden told in one of his books - he was visiting a blind friend who was building a wood boat. He stopped by his shop but the lights were out so he turned to go. His friend called out from under the boat and Garden then realized the true scope of what his friend was dealing with.

I don't think I've got what it takes for either situation.

• Like 2