Of course they are cool! So is saying that Mt Gay hats are the domain of 2 year PHRF superstars. Trucker hats are also cool (along with a solid 'stache to go along with it). 

We should have a cool / not cool ongoing list for sailing. I will start:

COOL:

• Patagonia branded vests / jackets
  • boat branded buffs
  • your boat's own personal instagram hashtag

NOT COOL:

• North Face anything...out of style but will come back
  • Mountain Hardwear...keep it on the rocks

:)

• Like 1

Sigh...  The MAGA stuff has made it unwise to wear a red hat...  I lost alot of weight and started wearing one around the house as it was compfy during the pandemic...( LBRW 2018 I think) got it broken in and everything.  Anyway..  I mistakenly wore it while running errands.  Returns to Kohls, target and Cabellas of all things.  Fit right in at Cabellas next to the guys returning AK47's (I shit you not), but target/Kohls,  I got wird looks..  Just sayin..  

• Like 2

I once donated one to the Lake Eustis sailing club junior auction. It was stolen before the auction occurred. Somebody likes them.

Have several in the closet. Afraid to wear them any more.

Over the summer I was wearing a Mount Gay hat at a local art festival. As I was walking down the street some old woman walked past me, turned around and yelled "fucking asshole!"

This leads me to two conclusions:

1. She recently caught her husband  with the bow girl at our local regatta rum tent

or

2. Donald Trump ruined red hats for all of us

• Like 1

Red... bad optics, so no. The Tangerine Berlusconi ruined a lot of things, including red hats . Rum is good, drink the rum. 

They were when you had to earn them and they were made with quality. Not anymore. After the last transpac they were given out at the door at the YC afterparty to whoever wanted them, sailors, kids, bartenders, dishwashers. It was fucked up because they did not have enough for all the sailors who did the race. Some people had ten hats. The prestige was gone.

49 minutes ago, 'Bacco said:

Over the summer I was wearing a Mount Gay hat at a local art festival. As I was walking down the street some old woman walked past me, turned around and yelled "fucking asshole!"

This leads me to two conclusions:

1. She recently caught her husband  with the bow girl at our local regatta rum tent

or

2. Donald Trump ruined red hats for all of us

I have a red Americas cup hat that I won't wear because it looks maga

1 hour ago, Vin said:

NOT COOL:

• North Face anything...out of style but will come back
  • Mountain Hardwear...keep it on the rocks

:)

North Face anything isn't cool any more?

Hmmm...

While I will admit I'm always late to the fashion show, this seems a bit excessive.

Hope it returns to fashion, as I'm not ditching all my North Face fleece stuff any time soon.

*** now where are my bell bottom jeans.

I like my MG hats.  Though I don't wear them anymore.  But I do choose Mt Gay Rum over Sailor Jerry when it's available here in Utah, as I do think it's important to support the businesses that support sailing.

Yes - When your wife sells years of hats sitting in a box for $2,200 back in 2012. The hassle she dealt with having to reiterate stitching color, under brim color, sizing type (snap vs pull) which event, which year....  I told her she must have lost money vs. the time to appease all those not willing to simply look at the pics.  

38 minutes ago, Kevlar Edge said:

There are 30 on eBay a few for over $60

so there  are still some simps out there that think they might have been cool. 

Anyone that would wear/buy one that they were not a part of is just delusional.  Same goes for t shirts.  Also never wear a hat and jersey from the same team unless you are a part of that team.  Now get off my lawn...  

• Like 2

I threw away about a dozen that were sitting in the back of a cabinet, unworn, about 2 months ago. It was time to purge and they went. I don't have the patience for ebay, but maybe I should have gone fishing.

Fellow crew got ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) and there was a fund raiser for him in Newport a few years ago. I donated ~25 red hats for the auction. The hats were a hit on the auction block... much better than I had anticipated. 

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, ropetrick said:
5 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Holley Crappe!  I felle foire it!  Is SOTM a bot on a to yeare loope?

Groundhog Day was late this year.

I heared that to............              :)

A local Sailor had collected about 50 MG hats -travelling x-country to crew in a LOT of regattas. All brand new 'cept one or two.  He donated them to our annual regatta for raffle, they were a hot item.  Boy did I appreciate that. I did keep one - Black Seal Newport to Bermuda 2002. Goslings is SO much better than MG.  

41 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I heared that to............              :)

Okay...Who let the Machines get to the red pillers?  

Looks like somebody re-set the Matrix.  Again. 

Get Neo in here. We've got work to do.  

And no, they're not cool.  I'm not either.  So a worn old pink hat with some scuffs on gotten from the swag bag at some regatta where I got my ass kicked, is a decent fit.  I'm a fat 50-something who sails. So. Un. Cool.  And I don't care.  But you know what is cool?  Not really caring what people think of my hat or hobby choices and not bothering to ask the group to ratify them.   

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lex Teredo said:

But you know what is cool?  Not really caring what people think 

Nuggette of truthe, embraice it, learne to love it foire it ist key to happinesse...........                   :)

1 hour ago, Half Ass said:

A local Sailor had collected about 50 MG hats -travelling x-country to crew in a LOT of regattas. All brand new 'cept one or two.  He donated them to our annual regatta for raffle, they were a hot item.  Boy did I appreciate that. I did keep one - Black Seal Newport to Bermuda 2002. Goslings is SO much better than MG.  

Yea, depends on where you are and what the had says...........place and date.

I got a 1989 red hat too. worn maybe twice. 

2 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Got a shelf full of them never worn.If they were black maybe.

Got a bunch of spanning decades back.  I got a weird shaped head, and they fit my head well compared to many hats.  But black?  Fuck no.  Bakes your brain in the sun, one boat I raced on had black crew hats.  Racing BI race week years ago on a hot sunny day, everyone took em off after about 30 mins.  Terrible.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, bgytr said:

Got a bunch of spanning decades back.  I got a weird shaped head, and they fit my head well compared to many hats.  But black?  Fuck no.  Bakes your brain in the sun, one boat I raced on had black crew hats.  Racing BI race week years ago on a hot sunny day, everyone took em off after about 30 mins.  Terrible.

Blacke sondes licke a realley badde idea............                  :)

11 hours ago, glexpress said:

The rum is better than the hats anyway.

True ... but damning with faint praise!

Mount Gay is perfectly drinkable, but mediocre. Boring, really. There are plenty of other rums that cost no more and have more character ... including Goslings.

5 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

And no, they're not cool.  I'm not either.  So a worn old pink hat with some scuffs on gotten from the swag bag at some regatta where I got my ass kicked, is a decent fit.  I'm a fat 50-something who sails. So. Un. Cool.  And I don't care.  But you know what is cool?  Not really caring what people think of my hat or hobby choices and not bothering to ask the group to ratify them.   

^^^^ This ^^^^

I have never been particularly ‘cool’, nor worried about it. And the older I get, the less cool I am, and the less I care.

I have only one MG cap. I rarely wear it, but not out of concern for what others might think. When sailing I usually wear a Tilley hat: which is about the most seriously uncool hat anyone could possibly wear, but helps ward off skin cancer when I forget to apply fresh sunscreen every couple of hours.

image.jpg

When you don’t care about looking cool, you save so much money! No need for celebrity-endorsed wristwatches, sports cars, the latest iPhone, etc. And when Madison Avenue doesn’t have a hold on you, you are able to work less, or eventually not at all.

Freedom from wage slavery is really cool! B)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Svanen said:

Mount Gay is perfectly drinkable, but mediocre. Boring, really. There are plenty of other rums that cost no more and have more character ... including Goslings.

I liked Mount Gay rum because of their support of yacht racing.

We were racing at Whidbey Island Race Week and perhaps ran aground short tacking the north shore of Penn Cove.  We couldn't get off without outside assistance (Kelly O'neil . . . but that's another story).  We pulled out a bottle of Mount Gay rum, threw away the cap and finished the bottle before we reached the leeward mark to watch the action.  We approached the Mount Gay corporate yacht and indicated that our bottle was empty.  They threw another bottle to us.  The guy that caught the bottle was a US Customs Agent, and let them know that there was not a tax stamp on the cap.  They said that it was "ship's stores" and we could have more bottles as needed.  We did, and won "Boat of the Day" for lots of reasons.

I'm sorry that Mount Gay changed to oval bottles that don't fit into round storage recesses on most boats. They wanted more shelf frontage in retail stores.  Corporate decisions vs. reality.  I've also moved to Goslings.

13 hours ago, SailRacer said:

Remember, the Vang Trimmer may just be the most important person on the boat!

Sail Safe!

as important as fordeck on a Nonsuch 22...or 26. or 30.. or 33.... or 36.

• Like 2

S, I couldn't agree more.

"Mount Gay is perfectly drinkable, but mediocre. Boring, really. There are plenty of other rums that cost no more and have more character ... including Goslings."

I like what and how MG has branded themselves and participated in so many ways. We all owe a thank you. However..

You simply cannot enter in that % of heads then mask it with stuff. Life is to short to drink anything but quality alcohol.

Other than tonight.. whatever.

20 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

The age old question... Are Mount Gay hats cool?

Do they scream offshore yacht racer or nerdy, PHRF self proclaimed vang trimmer?

Cool ?

yes indeed

excellent ventilation 16FCBD6E-5AD9-42E0-9942-D9715B7DFC79.jpeg.de3b476ecc0105a68904f859f27df51d.jpeg

• Like 3
19 hours ago, shaggy said:

Anyone that would wear/buy one that they were not a part of is just delusional.  Same goes for t shirts.  Also never wear a hat and jersey from the same team unless you are a part of that team.  Now get off my lawn...  

It goes on all the time here on LIS

we refer to them as “all the gear and no idea” it’s kind of a hipster thing around here. Apparently it’s cool to walk around urban areas dressed like you’re  a pro at at a tent party. 

9 minutes ago, Kevlar Edge said:

It goes on all the time here on LIS

we refer to them as “all the gear and no idea” it’s kind of a hipster thing around here. Apparently it’s cool to walk around urban areas dressed like you’re  a pro at at a tent party. 

Down here in Texas they say: 'All hat, no cattle'

• Like 1

Collectable maybe but cool? They don't have ear protection tho the company has been handing them out to sailors since 1703. How friggin-in-the-riggin dumb can ye git? Mt Gay ball caps may be cool in that Gay Gatsby white slacks, blue blazer way but you don't need sun protection in the club bar.

On that note check out this observation:

Tilley LTM3 Airflo Outdoor Hat, UPF 50+, Water-Repellent and Buoyant - Perfect for Sailing Connectyle Outdoor Mesh Sun Hat Wide Brim UV Sun Protection Hat Fishing Hiking Hat

Tilley Airflo $85                                                                          Example of Lesser Cachet hats; $10-15

Both come up on the same page on Amazon. I don't think we can count the disparity to materials or CDN to US exchange rates. At least one Tilley has a MRP of $115! Back in the day when Tilleys just cost double a no name hat at the boat show, sure, the quality was superb ... Now at 10X the price? That's LIS stuff.

I've had many a Mt Gay and Tilley but now just one, the Airflow. It was a gift. That ladyfriend has passed on, as they say, so I don't even have to wear it at all. 

13 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Can we still say BN?

There's another thread about colored sails. Should that be sails of color? 

No BN 

the wokesters will cancel you 

you will  be put on the no fly list 

your rating certificate  will be withdrawn 

10 hours ago, view at the front said:

I liked Mount Gay rum because of their support of yacht racing.

We were racing at Whidbey Island Race Week and perhaps ran aground short tacking the north shore of Penn Cove.  We couldn't get off without outside assistance (Kelly O'neil . . . but that's another story).  We pulled out a bottle of Mount Gay rum, threw away the cap and finished the bottle before we reached the leeward mark to watch the action.  We approached the Mount Gay corporate yacht and indicated that our bottle was empty.  They threw another bottle to us.  The guy that caught the bottle was a US Customs Agent, and let them know that there was not a tax stamp on the cap.  They said that it was "ship's stores" and we could have more bottles as needed.  We did, and won "Boat of the Day" for lots of reasons.

I'm sorry that Mount Gay changed to oval bottles that don't fit into round storage recesses on most boats. They wanted more shelf frontage in retail stores.  Corporate decisions vs. reality.  I've also moved to Goslings.

I too have become a big fan of Goslings. Good enough to drink straight with a big icecube in a tumbler, but not so good that you have to sit and contemplate the damn glass while drinking. Hats are better as well.

IMG_1272.thumb.JPG.2c12162e458aacb17ebaffe2a50a5f4b.JPG

8 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

No BN 

the wokesters will cancel you 

you will  be put on the no fly list 

your rating certificate  will be withdrawn 

BN was funny at the time. I have only one real buddy who is black. He is the FUCKING MAN. He's a tall handsome very black dude with a white-as-rice professional wife, one beautiful mocha toddler, another on the way. Has a mortgage. Walks the walk. You cannot piss him off. He just isn't haven't any of it. Probably didn't even know he was black til junior high. Totally holds his own in my think tank crowd of racists and rowdies, nonobs and ne'er-do-wells. 

40 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Probably didn't even know he was black til junior high. 

If you think that then you absolutely don't know him.

4 minutes ago, Jackdaw said:

If you think that then you absolutely don't know him.

Yeah, I knew I'd catch it for that comment but I went for the chuckle anyway. We have discussed that at some length. I wasn't his best man at the wedding but I fixed his tie. I'm good with it.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, cje said:

There are plenty of other rums that cost no more and have more character .

Image result for tanduay rum

20150302_202555

On 2/9/2021 at 12:39 PM, Windward said:

North Face anything isn't cool any more?

Hmmm...

While I will admit I'm always late to the fashion show, this seems a bit excessive.

Hope it returns to fashion, as I'm not ditching all my North Face fleece stuff any time soon.

*** now where are my bell bottom jeans.

No.  I was never a big brand wearing guy, but I have a few of the ironic knock offs.

51rlSMZ-a1L._AC_UX679_.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

but your location says you're on the opposite end of the country

That's to keep the feds guessin. Or because I'm lazy. Not sure which. Anyway, down in Canyon Lake TX to beat the cold.

• Like 1