SO Cal Newport to where ever you decide to finish

A few days ago PHRF SO Cal send an email out about the NOSA events N2E or N2SD. So I clicked on the link to read the FAQ about the new event.

It seems that the N2SD is now almost 100 miles and you have to sail around the Coronado Islands and go upwind to the SD finish. Why the F would you enter an OW race only to go upwind for quite a distance to finish. That would be like making the N2E go to the Todo Santos Islands and then beat back to Ensenada. If it is blowing (climate change so who  knows) it will be a wet cold finish. Of course if it blows from the south the race will be miserable but the finish will be OW. JFC, just go straight to SD.

Email from So Cal PHRF

NEWS FROM NOSA
Still confused about Covid restrictions in your county and what that means for sailing?

Us too.

But to make it easy for Newport to Ensenada racers, which will sail April 23, 2021, we’ve added information to our frequently asked questions page at https://nosa.org/frequently-asked-questions/.

While the NOSA board is proceeding with plans for the traditional N2E Ensenada finish, we understand the unpredictability of the ongoing health crisis and the varying levels of comfort of our skippers, crew and volunteers may experience.

The FAQ page outlines the three options offered to racers. As previously announced, backup plans include Ensenada competitors joining the San Diego competitors on a longer, more challenging course around the Coronado Islands.

Team NOSA has been anticipating what this means for racers and has been actively planning alternatives for racers – from securing slips and hotel accommodations to make the switch as easy as possible. If necessary.

For more information on the current plans, get updates, or to review the Race ABCs before signing up for N2E 2021, please go to nosa.org. And of course – don’t forget to register! -

Still, have questions? - Contact us via email, on social media, or via the phone at 949-644-1023.

That's how the border run was back in the day - did it once.  I am almost certain the guy that did win that year did what Parma suggested.  Great ride back upwind to get the boat back to newport (sarcasm font).  Never again without a trailer or much bigger boat.

On 2/9/2021 at 11:16 AM, Meat Wad said:

A few days ago PHRF SO Cal send an email out about the NOSA events N2E or N2SD. So I clicked on the link to read the FAQ about the new event.

It seems that the N2SD is now almost 100 miles and you have to sail around the Coronado Islands and go upwind to the SD finish. Why the F would you enter an OW race only to go upwind for quite a distance to finish. That would be like making the N2E go to the Todo Santos Islands and then beat back to Ensenada. If it is blowing (climate change so who  knows) it will be a wet cold finish. Of course if it blows from the south the race will be miserable but the finish will be OW. JFC, just go straight to SD.

Email from So Cal PHRF

NEWS FROM NOSA
Still confused about Covid restrictions in your county and what that means for sailing?

Us too.

But to make it easy for Newport to Ensenada racers, which will sail April 23, 2021, we’ve added information to our frequently asked questions page at https://nosa.org/frequently-asked-questions/.

While the NOSA board is proceeding with plans for the traditional N2E Ensenada finish, we understand the unpredictability of the ongoing health crisis and the varying levels of comfort of our skippers, crew and volunteers may experience.

The FAQ page outlines the three options offered to racers. As previously announced, backup plans include Ensenada competitors joining the San Diego competitors on a longer, more challenging course around the Coronado Islands.

Team NOSA has been anticipating what this means for racers and has been actively planning alternatives for racers – from securing slips and hotel accommodations to make the switch as easy as possible. If necessary.

For more information on the current plans, get updates, or to review the Race ABCs before signing up for N2E 2021, please go to nosa.org. And of course – don’t forget to register! -

Still, have questions? - Contact us via email, on social media, or via the phone at 949-644-1023.

Most hotels not closed have been stuffed with homeless who not only stay for FREE but get fed and health care and walkin around money

the Whole friggin state is upside down

watch for the price of EVERYTHING to SkyRocket

Tickets and Fines will be the quickest TAX Increase

DAGO went to FULL PARKING Enforcement Towing and Ticketing vehicles not having moved

EXCEPT if someone is Living in their car They are EXEMPT !!!

ya kinda off topic BUT my point is DO NOT EXPECT any FUN if/when you get here

Bet there wont be any Big Mixer Pre-Race Party either

what's the point of racing other boats if you have no idea where they are headed

or will end up

Might as well just call it an Everyone Go Sailing weekend

record your own start time, sail wherever you want and record your finish time whenever you decide to quit

give yourself a bottle of Rum and After Party when you get home

Download Participation Certificate of Achievement [PDF] - Print and hang on wall

Downloadable [PDF] Iron-On Transfer to make your own tshirt =$10

Memories of the HayDays of The N2E = Priceless !!!

17 hours ago, Code 2 said:

That's how the border run was back in the day - did it once.  I am almost certain the guy that did win that year did what Parma suggested.  Great ride back upwind to get the boat back to newport (sarcasm font).  Never again without a trailer or much bigger boat.

Suggested? I straight up saw them cut the corner, but it was too dark to ID which boat it was

with N2E Entry Fees Starting @ $325.

The Cougar Run only open to boat owners

and as Woody states.. SD is a barrel of laugh to visit these days.

where's the fun in this event..  

Little Capt & Coke in a cold shower @ midnight,

wake up and head over to your local rub & tug

you're far ahead in the game

9 hours ago, SEC16518 said:

Wow, you west coast guys really do hate going upwind.....

If you have ever done 100 mile to weather on a Cali Sled you wouldn't be dumb enough to even make that statement.. 

Remember to LQQk Left

Done 16 N2E races starting in 1990.  Back then the finish was off the Ensenada breakwater and those last few miles were a light air bitch with sometimes raging current into Todos Santa Bay  where you miss the finish line and spend four hours clawing back up to finish.  Then they shortened the course to Hotel Coral, added motoring allowed classes & shortened courses into SD, etc.  They've pussified it to the point where it's just another easy SoCal offshore race.

My posit is not quite true; I've done it on my 6kn shitbox, and a Cal25 to a SC52 (best result 2nd in class twice on different boats) and every 10 years or so it's a raging big wind test of seamanship & boat strength, but that's rare.  I lived in Newpy in the 90s and the pre race festivities were epic, not so these days.  Haven't done it since the Aegean Sea disaster; we were within three miles of North Coronado when they sank in easy and light conditions.  Just too many ersatz "racers" these days to make it worth participating.

1 hour ago, AHoleMel said:

with N2E Entry Fees Starting @ $325.

The Cougar Run only open to boat owners

and as Woody states.. SD is a barrel of laugh to visit these days.

where's the fun in this event..  

Little Capt & Coke in a cold shower @ midnight,

wake up and head over to your local rub & tug

you're far ahead in the game

If you have ever done 100 mile to weather on a Cali Sled you wouldn't be dumb enough to even make that statement.. 

Remember to LQQk Left

Just as bad as NASCAR, cars that only turn left........F1 is more my style......

This opens the door for a more balanced boat and crew for sure.

41 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Done 16 N2E races starting in 1990.  Back then the finish was off the Ensenada breakwater and those last few miles were a light air bitch with sometimes raging current into Todos Santa Bay  where you miss the finish line and spend four hours clawing back up to finish.  Then they shortened the course to Hotel Coral, added motoring allowed classes & shortened courses into SD, etc.  They've pussified it to the point where it's just another easy SoCal offshore race.

My posit is not quite true; I've done it on my 6kn shitbox, and a Cal25 to a SC52 (best result 2nd in class twice on different boats) and every 10 years or so it's a raging big wind test of seamanship & boat strength, but that's rare.  I lived in Newpy in the 90s and the pre race festivities were epic, not so these days.  Haven't done it since the Aegean Sea disaster; we were within three miles of North Coronado when they sank in easy and light conditions.  Just too many ersatz "racers" these days to make it worth participating.

That race was The Last

I'm Sure attorneys of BCYC & NOSA kept anyone from forgetting what happened to Party attendies

Bunched Panties no doubt Killed Off the BCYC Pre Race Running of TheCougars

Just not a speck of DNA Left from The GOOD OLD DAZ

Im supersized they don't have a class that starts Last and the Winner is the 1st back in their NewPort Slip

and Why No DUFFY Class ?? Start at the Check In boat by the Bait Barge and run a Lap around the Harbor

21 hours ago, axolotl said:

I remember those days well. My first N2E was in 1973, I was 14 and sailed with the local Sea Explorers. I hadn't started big boat racing yet, so it was a real experience and my first overnighter. I think the next time "75" I think, was with Bob and Rex Boyes on their Ranger 29 Saltshaker. Then it was on the the SC27 & Olson 30 with Gary Swenson and then with Chuck Stanton on his Wilderness 40. Lots of great food and sailing.

Doing the N2SD with my zap would be fun. If the SDYC Yachting Cup had a small boat class, staying for that would be an option.
I guess sleeping in my van would get me free parking.

• 4 weeks later...

Covid restrictions are easing,  people are getting vaccinated, and evidently some people still want to go sailing.

The 73rd N2E IYR event is up to 111 entries today with a bit over 2 weeks to go for entries, and another week with late fee.  87 are going to Ensenada, 21 to San Diego, and 3 to Dana Point.  We picked up 20 entries in the last week alone.  No, these are not the glory days of SoCal sailboat racing, but coming out of a pandemic, they aren't half bad numbers either.  We've even got a dozen multi's going.  ULDBs are in their own group, as are the CRUZ classes with motoring.  We can get some pretty great PHRF class breaks with this many boats entering.  Say what you will, the history represented in our perpetual trophies is inspiring.

N2SD course was lengthened in case the border was closed when April 23 gets here.  Which isn't a concern now.  It rounds the north Coronado island.  The leg back to San Diego is usually at least a heavily favored tack, if not a reach.  The old direct course was short and simple.  This is a good choice for people not quite ready to go back to Mexico.

Still plenty of time to get your boat out and do a race.   Maybe Mr. Tempesta will join us...

The finish line can be moved and located by app. Luckily there are lots of taco trucks around so the race conclusion can be properly covered wherever the skipper decides and crews properly rewarded.

Tacos-Tumbras-Truck-1000x600.jpg.fde37e6c7fbb092c56065d27a8c67338.jpg

Da Woody is right, it isn't fair to Cougars.  But after all, not every sailor is looking for a Cougar.

After a year of Covid, a lot of boaters are looking to get out on the water.  We should have over 100 boats on the N2E course alone.  Sitting at 117 total for all 3 courses today, with plenty of time left to enter.

I'm going, first one was 1973 an islander 36 finished Sunday morning. no were not rounding the islands, nor stopping in Dana Point, Were going to have some tequila in Husongs and celebrate the classic event, and toast our southern hosts. yes it has its ups and downs. one in ten will blow and its a fabulous ride. 

proudly hoisting a couple of gold pennants 

Moloki channel.JPG

On 3/24/2021 at 5:52 PM, 40grit said:

I'm going, first one was 1973 an islander 36 finished Sunday morning. no were not rounding the islands, nor stopping in Dana Point, Were going to have some tequila in Husongs and celebrate the classic event, and toast our southern hosts. yes it has its ups and downs. one in ten will blow and its a fabulous ride. 

proudly hoisting a couple of gold pennants 

Moloki channel.JPG

what boat is that?