I use a lot of 80 grit 2 inch wide PSA strips.  Buy a box at a time,   2.75" by 16.5".    I used to get a 3m product that was purple. Seemed really good and sharp.  Now fisheries tells me that the purple has been discontinued, and that the green is all they carry.  The green stuff is very mediocre.  

Any advice on quality sandpaper?

16 minutes ago, Vincent DePillis said:

I use a lot of 80 grit 2 inch wide PSA strips.  Buy a box at a time,   2.75" by 16.5".    I used to get a 3m product that was purple. Seemed really good and sharp.  Now fisheries tells me that the purple has been discontinued, and that the green is all they carry.  The green stuff is very mediocre.  

seems like it's still being made..

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/search/?Ntt=Purple+abrasives

I know that we have generally switched (at least in the ‘paper’ realm of abrasives) from 3M to Mirka at the yard... but I’m certainly not sure they have those board file type sheets.. but the guys have been happy with the Mirka product overall...

30 minutes ago, Vincent DePillis said:

Apart from any public toilet which has 40 grit in a roll for free, ive had great success with Mirka abrasives

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, toolbar said:

I love the non-paper net abrasives from Mirka.

Paul

Yeah, that’s why I put paper in quotes- we use the net stuff as well and everyone seems to really like it...

Mirka, Klingspor, and 3M are all good - but they do come in different grades and type of material. 

Years ago I used to buy from these guys. Their closeout deals were very cheap

https://www.supergrit.com/view.php?pg=index

Their website is a bit dated but the prices can be very good. Also find your local autobody repair SUPPLY store; you might find better pricing (though a lot of autobody paper has a light backing paper that tears easily)

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

Mirka, Klingspor, and 3M are all good - but they do come in different grades and type of material. 

Years ago I used to buy from these guys. Their closeout deals were very cheap

https://www.supergrit.com/view.php?pg=index

Their website is a bit dated but the prices can be very good. Also find your local autobody repair SUPPLY store; you might find better pricing (though a lot of autobody paper has a light backing paper that tears easily)

sweet Zonks, thanks for the link

6 hours ago, slug zitski said:

3m , Mirka , Norton 

they all work , purchase what’s available 

the pro paint companies are using 

https://smirdex.gr/filtering/?fwp_application=marine

price , performance 

ask a pro shop in your region for guidance 

do i have to go to greece to buy it?

1 hour ago, slug zitski said:

Do all SA posters need to be American 

Some things are just assumed. ;)

What is this "Rest of the world" of which you speak?

In grits 80 and rougher ,  Norton’s blue papers outlasts  3m and costs less.

I use Norton for 80, 40,  and 36 

that applies to air file strips, 6” da , and 7” discs. 

Every once in a while nobody has the Norton  I want anywhere in Austin and I buy some 3m ,

I do use a lot of 60 grit 3m gold on my 6” da.

Note: Diablo has 40 grit 6” self stick discs at Home Depot for a sweet price. We have been messing with it and it seems to perform in a similar manner to 3m 60 grit gold ... 

it lasts almost as long as 3m 40 grit green and about half as long as Norton blue 40 grit. 

Norton blue is ruthless. 

The local autobody wholesale supplier was my go to source although my use is greatly curtailed these days.  

I keep seeing high praise for Norton products on this site.

I dunno if Norton sells different products here but I have never used one of their papers that I didn't regard as cheap shit - no better than hardware store Garnet paper..

• Like 1

I've always been happy with the more expensive Norton stuff in a pinch. Klingspor is my go-to, but the Norton 3X/Prosand seems fine, quality wise, especially if it's 9pm and Home Depot is the only thing open.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I keep seeing high praise for Norton products on this site.

I dunno if Norton sells different products here but I have never used one of their papers that I didn't regard as cheap shit - no better than hardware store Garnet paper..

For anything other than very rough grits, I won’t have Norton in my shop period!!

Norton Blue stripe, blue fire, or whatever they are calling it this week seems to outlast any other paper available in auto body or marine supply 

note: I bought some Norton wet sand paoers in the eighties and I am still holding the grudge. 
I used some of their so called 1200 and it put in scratches I had to take out with 3m 400. 

I have used Carborundum brand wet sand paper and it seemed to be just like 3m

i have tried MANY other brands and I am happy to live out my life just using 3m fir all grits above 80. Gold wet for dry and wetordry for wet sanding. 

EXCEPT:  I bought a box of some smart-grip 600 Velcro 6” discs a few months ago that seemed pretty nice. So I bought a couple boxes of other grits to try out... 

We've been using Klingspor since the mid 90's. Their 6" RO discs outlast anything else I've used by a wide margin. 3m pro stuff is simply overpriced. Mirka got really good with their Abarnet non wovens and their Ceros sanders. Now Klingspor has their own non woven discs. Norton is one of those companies that mixz and matches their pro vs consumer stuff. You never know what the quality will be regardless of the price.

I still believe Klingspor is the best. cost & quality. Every company has their one thing Klingspor does well on everything.