4 hours ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

Is much more civilized having espresso and croissants and steering around islands than doing same at 0200/middle of the night. 

Didn't realize could navigate between those islands north of the bottom mark. Mom was east of me which seemed an error until it wasn't and then I was taking the long way around. Grrr.....

C'est la vie!

I made the same mistake the first time I did this race.  Most people do.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

Didn't realize could navigate between those islands north of the bottom mark. Mom was east of me which seemed an error until it wasn't and then I was taking the long way around

Depends what time of day you get there.  

Let's say I wouldn't leave it up to the inflatable autopilot at 03:30 in the morning.

Buffalo girls around the outside is safe ....... zzzzzzzzzzzz   ;)  (and costs less than hitting the bricks)

34 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Live and learn, filed away for next time.

damn.. I'm gonna need a whomper to catch some of you fuckers. 

53 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Live and learn, filed away for next time.

Mom still stuck @ 11th (0.86 Nm) with a few very determined Frenchmen/Swiss in front of him.

I remember from the Vendee VR blurb that Buddha is a couple, each with their own boats,  that stand/swap watches during the night.

Whats the plan mate ?

52 minutes ago, Laser1 said:

Mom still stuck @ 11th (0.86 Nm) with a few very determined Frenchmen/Swiss in front of him.

I remember from the Vendee VR blurb that Buddha is a couple, each with their own boats,  that stand/swap watches during the night.

Whats the plan mate ?

Tipapacheri is the other half of that couple.  They've been 1-2 in the world rankings a good chunk of the last year or so.  They're very good and usually sail almost identical courses.  Most of the top 10 are very familiar to me...  boats who have done very well for years.  Tough to bear.

For marks 10 and 11, I'm just trying to stay clean.  There aren't any passing opportunities, aside from hoping someone else makes a mistake.  I'm tentatively trying to sail the leg from 10 to 11 without changing sails from C0, which would be a small gain on anyone who changes to LG and back.  But sailing exactly TWA 130 with LG for a while would give better boatspeed.  Not sure if it's enough to overcome the two sailchanges or not.  Anyway...  I'll probably get to mark 11 between 8th and 15th...  Most likely still 11th...  And then will see what I can do on the final upwind leg.  I'll have the advantage of it being the middle of the night in Europe and simply evening here.  But...  I also need to cook dinner, help my older son get to a couple events, and help manage a toddler, so...  it's not like I'll be sitting in front of it micro-tuning my VMG angles.

Update:  I was approaching Mark 10 and didn't want to jinx myself by posting this before rounding it...  I cut the mark very close, and was worried I might miss it.  You can't win races like this without pushing the limits, so it's always somewhat of a war of attrition as boats run aground or accidentally cut marks.  Anyway...  Mark 10 has turned green for me, and I'm successfully still flying C0, so I'm happy.  Looks like I picked up Rafal, and got about 0.02 on the leader.  I doubt I can win this thing...  But I'll try like hell to pick up a couple.  Shockwave and BigBalls are doing a nice job of making me work hard just to win the SA group!

9 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I cut the mark very close...

How do you do that?  You seem to put it on the beach, or around the buoy, on every corner without hitting.

Have you got an extra zoom level beyond 1Nm ?

@Laser1, I would assume you have to do that with a couple waypoints (also not turning more than necessary for a sailchange/maneuver slow down if you can avoid it) so you aren't stuck in that dumb 10 minute window waiting for the mark to turn green after you pass it then maneuver. Get the WP set as close as you can and let the servers turn you when you hit the waypoint. That is just my dumb guess back here in 37,xxx :D

I have set up some waypoints to slice around #8. Looks like I'll come into it about 43° on port, tack, and come out at 41° on stbd if the forecast is correct.

rorc600.png

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Laser1 said:

How do you do that?  You seem to put it on the beach, or around the buoy, on every corner without hitting.

Have you got an extra zoom level beyond 1Nm ?

The simple answer is to use waypoints.  All coastal stuff, and tight buoy roundings, need waypoints.  Which of course is almost impossible if you're running on credits because with credits you can only have two waypoints planned at any given time.

But..  to really cut it close, you need to be playing on a Google Chrome browser and running the VR Dashboard extension.  (There's a link to it in Zezo).  The Dashboard shows you your specific coordinates, and the specific coordinates of your waypoints, as well as detailed data from each 10-minute update about things like windspeed, direction, boatspeed, etc.  The piece of the Dashboard that matters for this question is its Map tab.  In the Map, it shows the buoys, and if you hover over a buoy, it shows you the precise coordinates of the buoy.  If you're running on waypoints, it will also show your waypoints on the map.  So, for buoys like number 10, it's possible to try to cut it very very close, as I did this time.  But...  It's risky.  Sometimes you'll think you nailed it and VR will fail to validate your rounding.  So don't push it exceptionally close unless you're willing to risk the possibility that you might have to go back and re-round.  (Also, be patient...  wait until the next 10-minute cycle after your roudning, and then close VR and re-open, before deciding to turn back...  sometimes it takes 10 minutes for it to confirm your rounding).

But!!!  DON'T expect that to work with land.  The game's cartography isn't precisely identical to the real world, and the Dashboard map is the real world's Google map.  So you have to use your eyes in the game to decide how close to land to go, not count on the land in the Dashboard to tell you if it's safe.  And then it's a risk/reward decision.  If you're trying to win, you have to take some risks and hope to not get lucky.  If you're content with 50th or 100th, then take more margin because 0.06 nm on a rounding won't be the key to your result.  If you're running on credits without full options, just have fun and don't worry about trying to cut it insanely close.

It's actually pretty realistic...  If you were racing a real Class 40 in a one-design fleet of 50,000 boats, how close to the beach would you risk sailing?  And if you push it, would you be surprised if your keel found a rock?

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

to really cut it close, you need to be playing on a Google Chrome browser and running the VR Dashboard extension.............. If you're content with 50th or 100th, then take more margin because 0.06 nm on a rounding won't be the key to your result.  If you're running on credits without full options, just have fun and don't worry about trying to cut it insanely close.

Haha,  you nailed it in one.  MkI eye ball here with slow internet, a proper day job for approx 10 hrs/day incl. travel and a laptop way past it's sell by date.  Good fun and chuffed with my 992 for the moment.

I guess top 10 will be for my retirement days :lol:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Tipapacheri is the other half of that couple.  They've been 1-2 in the world rankings a good chunk of the last year or so.  They're very good and usually sail almost identical courses.  Most of the top 10 are very familiar to me...  boats who have done very well for years.  

MCES and some others in France are I believe  professional esport teams. I not aware of how this works or intricacies but  I think Fortnite and F1 and perhaps other game/sports. I am 70 years and retired, esport somewhat mysterious to a person my age.

I do routing without assistance (hangover from mini classe years) but am learning Zezo now and hope at least some implementation in future.

Very informative post Mom.

• Like 2

My decision to try to avoid changing from C0 to LG was a poor decision, and I kept going a long time after I should have given up on it.  By the time I gave up, I had to sail TWA 138 to get around mark 11...  About a knot slower than the fleet for half an hour.  that was painful.  The boats who went straight to LG and TWA 130 after mark 10 made the best gains.

Good morning.

First up, my apologies to @mred, I missed your initial post.  You have been added.

Second, BUGGER!

Third, what did I say about those f@%#ing programmations.  I have never known them to be so far off.  Ho hum.  Way points on near pointy bits from now on.

Fourth, even though I was asleep, I am sure that Shorty stuck his elbows out and gave me a nudge.

Fifth (and least important :ph34r:) - it is damn close at the front - three boats within 0.06, ranked 11th to 17th OA.  Well sailed gents!

Rankings - most people should be finished by tomorrow, so I will give a wrap up then.

25-Feb      
00:30UTC      
Place SA Name Boat Name Dist to Leader
1 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 27.66
2 Your Mom Your Mom SA 0.02
3 Gufmiester BigBalls 0.06
4 viper43 viper640 4.68
5 Jean-Baptiste HelloKitty-Iceland 10.1
6 Laser1 Hotfoot 13.3
7 Flaming Flaming 13.7
8 mred mistered 21.7
9 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 43.7
10 Headntac Ryoochi 52
11 Shorthanded Shorty 54.5
12 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 83.2
13 mad Sticky 83.4
14 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 100.5
15 SteveJH Stephen_1987 106.7
16 Bump-n-Grind SA_Bump 113.6
17 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 123.1
18 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 125.3
19 Iced Tea rule69 141.5
20 PB2207 Chi-2207 148.8
21 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 180.2
22 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 462.7
  • Like 3
39 minutes ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

Wow. I had never noticed the Zezo map before. Do I have to follow myself to see myself on the map? 

Nope.  There are controls in the Dashboard Fleet page that control whose position will be shown, but yours should always be there.  You can turn others' off to simplify your view.

43 minutes ago, viper43 said:

Lost 100 spots on the turn at Redonda for my kids 4th birthday party. Poor planning. :lol: #priorities

Did you have cake? Good cake mjght be worth 100 spots. I almost hit Redonda, set a timer to check as needed to go a bit west, apparently wind came up and I got there early and had to gybe around, 50 places poof! 0334 here in Corse, banished to one of the spare bedrooms after it was suggested violence possible if any late night yachting disturbed ma femme.

:-)

• Like 4

yeah, a 4 yr old's bday cake trumps this shit LOL

• Like 4

My final move to try to regain some spots was to tack as early as possible and then pinch like a pervert to try to make the finish line.  I think I can fetch, but of course the boats who tacked later will footing down over me...  Not sure if I can regain the top 10 or not.  I got to 10th at mark 10, and then was something like 18th at mark 11, having lost half a mile or so.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

Did you have cake? Good cake mjght be worth 100 spots. I almost hit Redonda, set a timer to check as needed to go a bit west, apparently wind came up and I got there early and had to gybe around, 50 places poof! 0334 here in Corse, banished to one of the spare bedrooms after it was suggested violence possible if any late night yachting disturbed ma femme.

I think our wives would get on well, although yours seems on the gentle side!

4 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

My final move to try to regain some spots was to tack as early as possible and then pinch like a pervert to try to make the finish line.  I think I can fetch, but of course the boats who tacked later will footing down over me...  Not sure if I can regain the top 10 or not.  I got to 10th at mark 10, and then was something like 18th at mark 11, having lost half a mile or so.

Allez Mom! I tacked early going way north as appeared more wind, gained 150 places so it may just be working.

6 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

I think our wives would get on well, although yours seems on the gentle side!

Icelandic, her Viking berserker tendencies mostly under control!

Are you in Hong Kong? Used to fly that trip, I miss the checkerboard target approach into Kai Tak.

28 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

yeah, a 4 yr old's bday cake trumps this shit LOL

Yeah man it was a Thomas the Train cake with some good ass ice cream. I was working two FaceTime calls with family members out of town while singing and opening presents.
I’ve also been sleeping in the extra bedroom cause Wifey thinks this fake sailing shit is ridiculous. Gotta pick your battles and live to sail another day!:ph34r:

• Like 3

I have no idea what the polars are on these boats but VR is showing you sailing at 38°. That definitely seems pinched based on the 'green zone'...Good Luck, @Your Mom, you picked up a few spots with that move anyway. i'll see you and everyone else at the virtual bar in a day or two! :D 

3 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Hey @chuso007 it looks like you did your gybe set a bit prematurely.  Trusting the programmations?

Damn... just woke up. I have to go upwind for 6 hrs. to get back to that mark. That sucks.

• Like 1

fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck... missed a fucking mark... 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck... missed a fucking mark... 

Wlecome to the club

1 hour ago, chuso007 said:

Damn... just woke up. I have to go upwind for 6 hrs. to get back to that mark. That sucks.

Parked on the last turning mark for me, which is probably the best option available. 

• Like 1

I even gave it a few minutes of slack on the programming, but it wasn't enough. Well, can't do anything about it now.

sure glad I didn't pay anything to suffer this abuse LOL

• Like 2

Just inside the top 1k, didn't quite pip laser.  Happy with that after my grounding early in the race.

Overall though, I'm not sure that this race is well suited to the VR format.  Steady breeze and short legs made the tactical options very limited, and the biggest gains were to be had by shaving the corners as close as you dared.  Think I'll stick to the Ocean courses in the future.  

Looking at the 3D images of my boat creaming along at 13 knots with the temperature saying 25 degrees though...  Made me want to actually do the race...

• Like 2

I stuffed up the start badly, started with three programations in, forgot to add new way points before going to work about 6 hours after the start. Remembered at lunchtime and logged in to find myself well north of Anguila in a theoretical 86,000th position.

Jumped back to the rescue ship in position 46k, up to 17k now.

• Like 1

Fun race, quite a change from Vendée or Verne but enjoyed and also enjoy comments/interaction here.  Thanks to Tunnel Rat for doing the classification.

Overcoming one grounding, one program failure, personal misjudgment (2x), sleep deprivation, mocking by my spouse, three daughters and my 6 year old grand daughter I finish in place 809.

Merci à tous, bon travail et bonne chance.

• Like 2

I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the VR Dashboard in teh Vendee.  I can't figure out how to get it to display data every 10 minutes like Your Mom mentioned. When I first fire it up it gets a status, and then if I make any kind of course correction I get that in the log (bascially whack the big green checkmark in the game), but otherwise, I don't get any additional data in my dashboard..I did figure out how to see Friends on the map, and I saw myself on there too. Baby steps. :D 

1 minute ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the VR Dashboard in teh Vendee>  I can't figure out how to get it to display data every 10 minutes like Your Mom mentioned. When I first fire it up it gets a status, and then if I make any kind of course correction (bascially whack the big green checkmark in the game), but otherwise, I don't get any additional data in my dashboard..I did figure out how to see Friends on the map, and I saw myself on there too. Baby steps. :D 

I do on iPad seem not work even with Chrome.

Just now, Jean-Baptiste said:

I do on iPad seem not work even with Chrome.

I have always thought the VR Dashboard was a little quirky, but you cannot complain about free. Sometimes I have to click on the extension and reload the game more than once to get it to update the Dashboard. Have not tried it on anything except a PC. For middle of the night course corrections, app on my phone. I don't trek across the house to the computer anymore at night. :ph34r:

21 minutes ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

I have always thought the VR Dashboard was a little quirky, but you cannot complain about free. Sometimes I have to click on the extension and reload the game more than once to get it to update the Dashboard. Have not tried it on anything except a PC. For middle of the night course corrections, app on my phone. I don't trek across the house to the computer anymore at night. :ph34r:

I have solved the trek across house issue, ma femme says sail as wish in own bedroom.

• Like 2

I have quite a list of lessons learned!

probably could have done better if I'd remembered what time the  start was :huh:

I sat there at the line for about 6 hours with flogging sails

play with the interface at least once before the start of the race!!

don't trust resolution at mark roundings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

give a mark at least a mile 

don't get married 

edit: an observation; they went to all the trouble of building the VR 3D view, you'd think they could have added the terrain of the islands, and marks  into that to make it more intersting... toss in a cruise ship every now then!!! 

• Like 1

ok.. it says I've finished.. I dont believe it for a minute.. this fucker is gonna drop me back on Barbuda, I just know it!!!

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

ok.. it says I've finished.. I dont believe it for a minute.. this fucker is gonna drop me back on Barbuda, I just know it!!!

Yeah...+1 on testing the interface, and there are some differences between this one and the Vendee I just completed. Agree on mark/island roundings, you need to zoom all the way into 1NM scale to avoid hard bits and turning marks. The little projected line for your course does change based on zoom level. You may be clear at 2nm zoom, but at 1nm zoom you might be smacking into something.

I also missed the start, but I pre-set myself on port tack and ended up down at marker #9 & on the hard near Guadaloupe, so that is really where I started..then I was headed toward Africa for a while too. Ah well..something to pass the time while I think about de-winterizing the 4KSB. B)

• Like 1

Regarding Dashboard...  In-game, in the top right corner, you get a refresh button once every 10 minutes.  When you click that and it refreshes the data (or if you exit the game and re-enter), it'll post the latest data to your Dashboard Log.

13 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

sure glad I didn't pay anything to suffer this abuse LOL

I’m sure I remember doing some races in the Med a couple of years ago that would have been almost impossible if the platform was like this. I managed to do them on the cheap using the program and free way points. 

2 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

You’re enjoying this, I can tell :P

1 hour ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

Yeah...+1 on testing the interface, and there are some differences between this one and the Vendee I just completed. Agree on mark/island roundings, you need to zoom all the way into 1NM scale to avoid hard bits and turning marks. The little projected line for your course does change based on zoom level. You may be clear at 2nm zoom, but at 1nm zoom you might be smacking into something.

I also missed the start, but I pre-set myself on port tack and ended up down at marker #9 & on the hard near Guadaloupe, so that is really where I started..then I was headed toward Africa for a while too. Ah well..something to pass the time while I think about de-winterizing the 4KSB. B)

That’s always been a feature, I’ve had loads of “where’s Wouter” moments by not zooming in playing this. :)

31 minutes ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

@Your Mom - I noticed that refresh button...is that new? I don't remember that from races before this one.? ? ? And thanks..20 minutes from the finish I whack refresh and it does in fact refresh the dashboard...lol

It was introduced sometime around the start of Vendee.  Maybe a month or two prior.  Presumably to reduce the load on their servers when they were anticipating hundreds of thousands of entries for that event.  Before that, it auto-refreshed every 5 minutes.  Now it doesn't refresh unless you click the button.  Your boat moves, but its position may have slight inaccuracies (and the rest of the fleet doesn't move).  When you click the button, it syncs your position with the server-level computation (which is what matters for things like mark roundings and groundings).  When they first introduced it, its frequency was the same as the auto-refresh...  5 minutes.  But then the server got overloaded anyway, so they moved it to 10.  I don't know if they'll ever move it back or not.  But yeah...  I can't imagine doing this race without knowing about that...  The only other way to accurately know your position would be to close and re-open the race to force a refresh.  Must have been extremely frustrating at times.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

It was introduced sometime around the start of Vendee.  Maybe a month or two prior.  Presumably to reduce the load on their servers when they were anticipating hundreds of thousands of entries for that event.  Before that, it auto-refreshed every 5 minutes.  Now it doesn't refresh unless you click the button.  Your boat moves, but its position may have slight inaccuracies (and the rest of the fleet doesn't move).  When you click the button, it syncs your position with the server-level computation (which is what matters for things like mark roundings and groundings).  When they first introduced it, its frequency was the same as the auto-refresh...  5 minutes.  But then the server got overloaded anyway, so they moved it to 10.  I don't know if they'll ever move it back or not.  But yeah...  I can't imagine doing this race without knowing about that...  The only other way to accurately know your position would be to close and re-open the race to force a refresh.  Must have been extremely frustrating at times.

understatement of the week!

and I thought the Vendee tracking map was lame!!!:blink:

noticed that refresh button...is that new? I don't remember that from races before this one.? ? ?

I have seen that refresh button too but it wasn’t part of my interface in the 600. As long as my WiFi connection was active and the screen didn’t go to screensaver for inactivity the boat progressed on screen one min at a time. There was also the trailing server boat location that updated automatically every 10 min on the 2’s and a few seconds. If I remember correctly that was the same interface as the Vendee. I don’t know how, why, or when the manual update button went away but glad it wasn’t part of my experience this time

3 minutes ago, viper43 said:

I have seen that refresh button too but it wasn’t part of my interface in the 600. As long as my WiFi connection was active and the screen didn’t go to screensaver for inactivity the boat progressed on screen one min at a time. There was also the trailing server boat location that updated automatically every 10 min on the 2’s and a few seconds. If I remember correctly that was the same interface as the Vendee. I don’t know how, why, or when the manual update button went away but glad it wasn’t part of my experience this time

Had more issues with the vendee and the 600 than ever before. Hopefully they’ll sort it out before the next inshore race, don’t fancy short tacking along the English coast. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, mad said:

Had more issues with the vendee and the 600 than ever before.

So do you think the game is better with the manual updates or auto?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mad said:

Had more issues with the vendee and the 600 than ever before. Hopefully they’ll sort it out before the next inshore race, don’t fancy short tacking along the English coast. 

I print out screenshots of the Regatta map and figure out with pencil and protractor.

• Like 1

Good morning,

All but two have finished and Screaming Eagle does not seem to intend on finishing.  

As pointed out yesterday it was very close at the pointy end - @Gufmiester took the win by 10 secs over @Your Mom with @Shockwave only 59 secs further back.  All of them finished in the top 20.  Bloody well played.

For myself, I managed to achieve one of my goals which was to finish ahead of @daan62 :P (who did not play) but I failed on my other goal to only hit one island, I hit two, and the quite spectacular overstand on Mark 2 was equally frustrating.  I have done quite a lot of these races and the inaccuracy of the programmations was something new and annoying.  I went from what I guess would have been a reasonable position approaching Mark 2 to 53,xxx, then back up to 6,xxx before hitting Island No 9 and back to 25,xxx and finally finishing at 17,283rd.    

This experience has made me very unwilling to pay for a full pack in the future.  Especially for a coastal race.

Anyway, thanks for putting some fun into proceedings.

26-Feb                
02:00UTC                
Place SA Name Boat Name DTF Days Hours Minutes Seconds Overall Finish
1 Gufmiester BigBalls   2 12 56 27 11
2 Your Mom Your Mom SA         10 12
3 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11       1 9 16
4 viper43 viper640     1 5 56 490
5 Jean-Baptiste HelloKitty-Iceland     1 38 1 808
6 Laser1 Hotfoot     1 47 45 910
7 Flaming Flaming     1 52 48 969
8 mred mistered     2 23 46 1,328
9 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC     4 9 26 3,073
10 Headntac Ryoochi     5 1 20 4,561
11 Shorthanded Shorty     5 6 27 4,732
12 mad Sticky     8 22 21 13,421
13 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA     8 35 1 14,117
14 Tunnel Rat Mongrel     9 37 5 17,283
15 SteveJH Stephen_1987     9 38 18 17,354
16 Wet Hog WetHog-SA     10 21 20 19,113
17 Iced Tea rule69     11 29 27 21,468
18 Bump-n-Grind SA_Bump     15 8 26 26,720
19 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches     17 3 10 28,757
20 PB2207 Chi-2207     20 52 19 32,026
21 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 20.57          
22 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 469.8          
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, mad said:

I don't know about before but I have worn out the screen pixels where the refresh button sits.  If that didn' give the desired result I rebooted to restart the game to get an accurate idea where I was closing in on the bricks.   My poor hard drive nearly melted :huh:

For Fastnet I'll probably take 3 days off and lock myself in the spare bedroom with a few bags of crisps and a box of Merlot and hand steer around the track.

If swmbo comes in and throws a bucket of water over me from time to time it'll be just like the real thing. :lol:

Edit:  Thanks Rat.

• Like 3

Flaming-like you I sailed my first year on only a phone. Then I saw the Vendee thread TR started before the race and found a whole new level of addiction to this game. Using a desktop/laptop and routing with zezo has definitely helped me improve. Plus with the comments from this group of pirates, and actual useful tips and tricks Mom gives us I feel confident being able to compete. 

I do use the phone only to adjust and check when away from the MacBook 

The app on the phone is great as a supplement so that you aren't tied to your desktop machine.  For long offshore races, it works fine most of the time as your primary device if you prefer.  But for tight coastal races like C600, you simply can't get the screen resolution on a phone to compete as well as you can with a desktop.  And if you want to use Dashboard, that doesn't run on phones (that I know of).  Of course, that only matters if you're racing near the front.  If you're further back, have fun on whatever device you prefer.

• Like 1

Of course, that only matters if you're racing near the front.  If you're further back, have fun on whatever device you prefer.

......  For us mere mortals in the cheap seats you mean ...   hahahahahaha !!  ;)

• Like 3
20 hours ago, viper43 said:

So do you think the game is better with the manual updates or auto?

Its way worse, the updates aren't as accurate as before.  I'm trying to find one of the races in the med through a narrow passage that would have stopped almost all.

They had a platform that worked well, and have downgraded it in upgrades.  Sound familiar?

20 hours ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

I print out screenshots of the Regatta map and figure out with pencil and protractor.

That's an impressive commitment of time and paper, I do this for fun and relaxation, this was just a pain in ass.

Its one of the few times when you really can blame your tools. 

2 hours ago, mad said:

That's an impressive commitment of time and paper, I do this for fun and relaxation, this was just a pain in ass.

Its one of the few times when you really can blame your tools. 

Oh is all good, lack of attention, general sloth and poor decisions my outcome. Is not tools, just a poor workman.

5 hours ago, Laser1 said:

......  For us mere mortals in the cheap seats you mean ...   hahahahahaha !!  ;)

Oui! I speak to my 96 year old mother on her birthday today, she quite sailor in years past, I explain I virtual sailing and lose to sailor named Your Mom. Her response:

"As it should be, listen to your mother"

Then she says can do on iPad, I will get app!

20 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Good morning,

All but two have finished and Screaming Eagle does not seem to intend on finishing.  

As pointed out yesterday it was very close at the pointy end - @Gufmiester took the win by 10 secs over @Your Mom with @Shockwave only 59 secs further back.  All of them finished in the top 20.  Bloody well played.

For myself, I managed to achieve one of my goals which was to finish ahead of @daan62 :P (who did not play) but I failed on my other goal to only hit one island, I hit two, and the quite spectacular overstand on Mark 2 was equally frustrating.  I have done quite a lot of these races and the inaccuracy of the programmations was something new and annoying.  I went from what I guess would have been a reasonable position approaching Mark 2 to 53,xxx, then back up to 6,xxx before hitting Island No 9 and back to 25,xxx and finally finishing at 17,283rd.    

This experience has made me very unwilling to pay for a full pack in the future.  Especially for a coastal race.

Anyway, thanks for putting some fun into proceedings.

26-Feb                
02:00UTC                
Place SA Name Boat Name DTF Days Hours Minutes Seconds Overall Finish
1 Gufmiester BigBalls   2 12 56 27 11
2 Your Mom Your Mom SA         10 12
3 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11       1 9 16
4 viper43 viper640     1 5 56 490
5 Jean-Baptiste HelloKitty-Iceland     1 38 1 808
6 Laser1 Hotfoot     1 47 45 910
7 Flaming Flaming     1 52 48 969
8 mred mistered     2 23 46 1,328
9 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC     4 9 26 3,073
10 Headntac Ryoochi     5 1 20 4,561
11 Shorthanded Shorty     5 6 27 4,732
12 mad Sticky     8 22 21 13,421
13 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA     8 35 1 14,117
14 Tunnel Rat Mongrel     9 37 5 17,283
15 SteveJH Stephen_1987     9 38 18 17,354
16 Wet Hog WetHog-SA     10 21 20 19,113
17 Iced Tea rule69     11 29 27 21,468
18 Bump-n-Grind SA_Bump     15 8 26 26,720
19 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches     17 3 10 28,757
20 PB2207 Chi-2207     20 52 19 32,026
21 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 20.57          
22 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 469.8          

Thanks TR for scoresheet of shame, just happy I beat you. :P

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:
13 hours ago, Flaming said:

Was I the only one solely playing on the mobile app?

I use my desktop when I'm at work, when I'm not at work I'm on the mobile.

I used every option available going between work and home and didn't notice any difference. I can go in the wrong direction and hit land on any platform.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

Oh is all good, lack of attention, general sloth and poor decisions my outcome. Is not tools, just a poor workman.

You may not have used the tools earlier it seems, you now have a selection of adze, hammer and axe, just with no handle.

Did you use this platform 2 or 3 years ago?

18 hours ago, Flaming said:

Was I the only one solely playing on the mobile app?

only on desktop here