Former Republican Officials In Talks To Form Anti-Trump Third Party

15 minutes ago, Remodel said:

To become a tiny minority party, smaller than the Greens?  We may get to see the dream of those chanting "we need more political parties" come true with potentially the same results as last time (extended one party rule).

I think those involved in these talks have access to lots of money so that is a start. Of course, so did Ross Perot and we saw what led to. I suspect the Dems would be very supportive of this or anything else that messes up the right.

1 hour ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

I think those involved in these talks have access to lots of money so that is a start. Of course, so did Ross Perot and we saw what led to. I suspect the Dems would be very supportive of this or anything else that messes up the right.

Actually, this is exactly the type of effort that, if it gets traction, will get the notice of one of the major parties and possibly get absorbed into their platform/approach. I applaud it.

• Like 1

For the US to have three or more viable parties it would have to change its election system, i.e.  

Get rid of electoral college

Set a systems whereby one candidate has to have at least 51% of popular vote.  

This would necessitate the possibility of a run off election for the two leaders.

NEVER HAPPEN

4 minutes ago, bletso said:

For the US to have three or more viable parties it would have to change its election system, i.e.  

This would necessitate the possibility of a run off election for the two leaders.

NEVER HAPPEN

Forget POTUS.  Get rid of first past the post, single member districts for Congress and state legislatures.  A little proportional voting wouldn’t hurt. Throw in some ranked choice voting as well.

But so many voters are lazy, uninformed and downright dumb that anything requiring a modicum of thinking is doomed to failure.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, bletso said:

NEVER HAPPEN

I don't think that's the point. If ever anyone of these 3rd party movements get traction, the major party will take on a bit of what makes it popular. That's one way the parties change over time. It's a good thing.  Better would be proportional representation, but that's not going to happen.

4 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

lets do , the 2 party system sucks, puts every one in a box 

the Electoral college RIP, 

Image result for political bell curve

I'm not sure there are really any "radical left" Democrats.  Even AOC would just be a regular liberal in Europe. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

I'm not sure there are really any "radical left" Democrats.  Even AOC would just be a regular liberal in Europe. 

I guess everything is relative, on where you are and what your looking at, down here GWB was a liberal,

2024 AOC

10 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

Is there a Leftie that mirrors the crazy of bobert or the other nutzo chick??  

3 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

I guess everything is relative, on where you are and what your looking at, down here GWB was a liberal,

2024 AOC

Old line in organizations:”where you stand depends on where you sit.”

stand=position on an issue or policy

sit=your place in the company/organization

1 hour ago, Not for nothing said:

lets do , the 2 party system sucks, puts every one in a box 

the Electoral college RIP, 

Image result for political bell curveImage result for political bell curve

Do you have any evidence that there IS a "moderate middle" anymore?  What I'm seeing is that the parties have moved far enough apart that the graph more closely resembles an inverted U.  Last numbers I saw from V.O.T.E.R. data was that there's only about 7% true swing voters, the rest of the self identified "middle" normally vote straight party. It would be nice to think there is a "silent majority" in the middle but it doesn't seem to be visible.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, shaggy said:

Is there a Leftie that mirrors the crazy of bobert or the other nutzo chick??  

no.

another 'business as usual' party (that would probably lean increasingly right)? Fuck that, it can't, and shouldn't  be 'indulged' .

global society needs to make a truly RADICAL, and at first uncomfortarable, shift to address issues that are on a larger scale than sociopolitical ones, and the US needs to integrate into that society. 

'triage' could be an appropriate word to put shit into some perspective.

27 minutes ago, mathystuff said:

You guys should get a proportionally representative parliament like uhm... all other western countries.

Also strip away the presidents power. He should be for smiling and waving.

Yes on the proportionally representative parliament [*]. It would be radically different from what we have where a couple of dumbfucks in Wyoming have 2 Senators and a Critter. Consequently, short of a constitutional convention, it won't happen. So it is what it is and we gets what we get.

Actually, a president is weak compared to a prime minister unless, as was the case with the execrable Shitstain, he has a docile Congress usually of his own party. Otherwise, a president has to ask Congress for things. In Shitstain's case, he could do whatever he wanted (like storm Congress or sell the country out to Putin) and nothing would happen. For example, a president has to get their ambassador to Tonga approved by the Senate.

Clinton worked very hard to get what he wanted done. He was a good salesman. (What he didn't want, and what is largely in his purview, was to get trapped in a foreign entanglement the way his fellow Southerner LBJ got trapped trapped himself in Vietnam. I digress.) But he couldn't order Congress to cut the defense budget and increase taxes. He convinced them. Obama got the bare minimum from a Republican Congress that wanted him to be a one term interregnum between Republicans. They wanted him to fail if though that meant the country, mired in the Great Recession, would fail as well. On the other hand, W + Shitstain are given completely free hands by their majorities.

Proportional representation wouldn't allow the nutjobs to hold an uncritical base of Deplorables in Dumbfuckistan. My vote out here in CA is pretty meaningless. Johnny One Tooth in Wyoming matters much much more. Johnny doesn't do dick, but that doesn't really matter. But it would be a big change and getting there, short of a constitutional convention? Yeah, nah.

[*] I have mentioned this before but even writing about proportional representation in a law review article--gasp!!!--cost Lani Gunier an Assistant Attorney General job.

Any small party will form a coalition with a big party to gain power.

The natural ally of the non Trump Republicans will be the Trump Republicans.

It just means they can publicly disagree without the accusations of disunity while privately doing what they have always done.

• Like 2