Transat Jacques Vabre 2021

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

something like this, perhaps?

This has been discussed widely in Other Imoca forums and particularly in French arenas. To understand why there is a One Design mast requires an understanding of class history and what brought ab

The big picture from above with NOAA overlay and Avation Weather sat image infrared. HPs all around, except the Med with a storm moving west. That orange line across Spain is a through over the G

Posted Images

Looking forward to this one. The new Race Director Francis Le Goff sure has a challenging mandate: Helping the Ultimes make the start, encouraging more women, Corporate Social Responsibility (green initiatives), and a new finish line. 

Perhaps we'll even get a sniff of the future stars of the DH Olympic Offshore event. Too, making the VR a new class might just be the biggest opportunity for local land-locked sailors to find international fame and fortune.

Lots of good stuff to anticipate for next winter.

• Like 1

Lots of exciting racing to look forward to. Several new Class 40s due to hit the water this year, Layton have now joined the Multi 50 game, all the broken 2020 Imoca 60s get a chance of redemption and the broken Ultimes get to face off against the new Ulitmes that haven’t broken yet

• Like 4

So pleased they're looking to bring the finishes together. This race has always suffered as once the Ultime's finished, much of the worlds (French) media turned off. This seems to make a lot of sense. 

I think that VR is awesome but I'm not sure about incorporating it more formally. Maybe I just need to move with the times... 

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin Escoffier to join Armel le Cléac'h on BP Ultime

Armel : “Kevin is a very good sailor and he has proven it by sailing on many supports. His adaptability and technical knowledge allow him to have a very substantial experience offshore. There was a real logic to navigate together, especially since he knows the Ultimes very well and how it works at Banque Populaire. We are going to start a long learning phase and I am delighted that we can do it with him. He is a very endearing person and we are very happy to have him back in the team. "

Kevin Escoffier: “It's a privilege to be able to take up this challenge, all the more so with personalities that I really appreciate. During my 12 years at Banque Populaire, I had the chance to work on the design of high-tech boats, to participate in races, to break records… When you are passionate about technique, speed and performance , we can only be delighted to be part of such a team. Being able to support Armel in the development of Banque Populaire XI will undoubtedly be very rich in terms of experience. And I will do everything to help the team to give the best to the Transat Jacques Vabre. "

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.voile.banquepopulaire.fr/news/transat-jacques-vabre-armel-embarque-kevin-escoffier

• Like 2
14 hours ago, stief said:

yes, and Sodebo just announced yesterday that they'll be taking part! Gitana is signed up as well and will be sporting all new foils and appendages. Actual Leader 2 is in as well.

• Like 2

Servane Escoffier: "No, I won't co-skip her. Nothing is official today, but Louis has two boys in mind." 

and some other interesting names and numbers, thanks to a safari snip-and-trans of today's Tip and Shaft

At what price? And how much do you sell Bureau Vallée 2?
The purchase price is not communicated, but it is between 4 and 5 million euros. For BV2, the basis for discussion is 2.6 million euros excluding tax. We already have a lot of contacts and we receive the first visits.

"I will do one or two steps
on The Ocean Race Europe
"

Does this new boat need to expand the team and therefore increase the operating budget?
Yes, we are in the recruitment phase at the technical level, we are looking for one or two people. Obviously, this will have an impact on the operating budget, I can't give you an exact figure because it will depend on the program, but over the past ten years, we have always ensured that budgets remain reasonable for sponsors. I don't think we'll be in top budgets, but we will really have the means to do things right.

The first race will be The Ocean Race Europe, with whom are you going to race it?
Certainly with our former skippers Espoir, Arthur (Hubert) and Clément (Commagnac), but we also have proposals from sailors who plan to continue or embark on Imoca and want to see how the boat is, we are very open to this. We will also offer the architect, Sam Manuard, who made the first part of the ferry with Louis. And I think I'll also do one or two steps. I said it when we did the Transat Jacques Vabre together in 2017: I'm not necessarily the best co-skipper for Louis, but I really want to know the boat well to measure the technical problems that might arise later. It is in this spirit that I will try to sail on the Tour of Europe.

And the Jacques Vabre?
No, I won't co-skip her. Nothing is official today, but Louis has two boys in mind.

Don't you want to get back to sailing in competition?
Today, I still continue to be on the water, whether on the Imoca or the Class40 for training, if only to keep my hand, but it is currently not compatible for me to participate in races. Now, I'm not closed, you must never say never, but for 2021, no, it's not on the program.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, stief said:

Nice job on the Front Page by ronnie_simpson. Enjoyed the TJV/JVT distinction. Well played. Figured, too, the article nicely stick-handled the issue of Kevin E's reward for BRB's loss.

thank you! the upcoming Transat Jacques Vabre and other French racing is looking very exciting!

• 1 month later...

The entry lists are filling out for the TJV.  34 class 40s listed so far and more are in process.  The first 40 are guaranteed spots in the main basin.  The first entry deadline was 31 March, with the next tier/cutoff in mid July.  Some background on the teams is also provided on the French site:  https://www.transatjacquesvabre.org/fr/actualites.  It could be a record event.  

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...
21 minutes ago, V21 said:

Anyone know if there is a live stream ??

Below page on how to follow the start (not translated in English yet apparently) :

https://www.transatjacquesvabre.org/fr/actualites/actualite/2400/comment-suivre-le-depart-de-la-transat-jacques-vabre-ce-dimanche

(many TV channels)

And it will be live on the YT channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqFazsGBPuVwWOOJe2XRF2g

And FB live

• Like 3

https://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/voile/transat-jacques-vabre/transat-jacques-vabre-le-parcours-des-class40-vu-par-les-skippers-4e79ab2c-3e3e-11ec-b5                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           https://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/voile/class40/dossier-transat-jacques-vabre-2021-pourquoi-la-class40-est-elle-en-plein-essor-ea66447c-3d9a-11ec

If these dont read..reenter...sometimes works 

image.png.fee7e133f2d24119660c37fbe575b93c.png

• Like 2
3 hours ago, yl75 said:

Below page on how to follow the start (not translated in English yet apparently) :

https://www.transatjacquesvabre.org/fr/actualites/actualite/2400/comment-suivre-le-depart-de-la-transat-jacques-vabre-ce-dimanche

(many TV channels)

And it will be live on the YT channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqFazsGBPuVwWOOJe2XRF2g

And FB live

Thanks!

The big exclusion zone they have added along south America will limit the options quite a bit, wonder why they put it, security most probably, too many oil rigs ? Traffic ?

Killer Whales!  :huh::o:)

• Like 1

Would like to see a Class 40 get there first, but that will only happen if the others get stuck in the doldrums. Twice in the doldrums and only one person to vent your frustration, can't wait...

And the 40's might get stuck at the Cape Verdes, once only.

• Like 1

Below Merfyn Owen (from Owen Clarke) walks the docks and talks about his boats(mix of French and English), he is doing the race in class 40 (not on one of his design) :

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/course-au-large/transat-jacques-vabre/video-transat-jacques-vabre-l-architecte-merfyn-owen-fera-la-course-contre-ses-bateaux-30ca64f4-3e5c-11ec-b567-f76c2a8a24ee

• Like 3

Dock out is under way. Gonna be real interesting to see all the ultims (except actual) lined up. Not quite sure it's good or bad that Gitana hasn't lined up against either BPXI or SRV. Both are very fast.

Strange that Goodchild is last or something in Ocean fifty on Leyton, they have won all legs in the last major race right ? (forgot the name)

On the tracker page it says updated every hour but it seems the tracker is updated much more often right now.

Otherwise that live was quite good !

• Like 2

Really don't understand why they don't put a 15mn update or something at least up to exiting the channel.

I'm sure it would cost almost nothing, afraid of their servers not handling the load or what ?

2 hours ago, yl75 said:

All classes are really interesting this time, four races!

Exactly, and 4 starts all in one, really impossible to do properly, for the commentators too.

Been wondering if we should have a separate thread for each class, but seeing little enthousiasm for the race so far, we better stick with one potpourri, I would think. Gone make my head spin, and if someone could make a spreadsheet with all the names and pricipal boat data, then you are welcome!

• Like 1

The Class 40 are seeing the wrath of the tide (Coeff 107) at the Raz de Barfleur, with the locals going from 12th to 3rd in no time. Not a place where you would normally want to play around the rocks with a leeshore on your first night...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

and if someone could make a spreadsheet with all the names and pricipal boat data, then you are welcome!

Yes that would really help, especially for the class 40, will try to look around to find if somebody did it already 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Sebyseb said:

The Class 40 are seeing the wrath of the tide (Coeff 107) at the Raz de Barfleur, with the locals going from 12th to 3rd in no time. Not a place where you would normally want to play around the rocks with a leeshore on your first night...

So… explain that to me. Was that not predictable? Why didn’t they follow course like most of the the Imocas 

35 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

So… explain that to me. Was that not predictable? Why didn’t they follow course like most of the the Imocas 

I don't have the tide maps at hand, but all these currents are tide currents, so you can pass if you arrive before the "reverse", otherwise you don't.

I once got stuck at the Raz Blanchard (the west corner of the contention peninsula) in a race (long time ago), we dropped anchor (like many), were at 12 knts at one point at anchor (SOG=0), when the reverse came, had to cut the anchor rope ... The ones that dropped anchor where the reverse was starting very close to shore were the winning ones ...

http://img.xooimage.com/files115/d/7/7/carte_courant-5691934.jpg

01PM-Cherbourg-6.thumb.jpg.ae629590b94d0d32639439a36aed5f85.jpg07PM-Cherbourg.thumb.jpg.d5d044b543e5d0bafcde3f3d94ad6c95.jpg

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, staysail said:

Arkea just went from 23 kts to 1.3 kts in 5 minutes just after 22:30 UTC, and headed to wind.

Hope its not serious.

Now back on course at 26 kts so looks OK. Wonder what they caught?

A bit boring in the Imoca class it seems Apivia in a class of it's own? Although it's great to see 11th Hour Racing making a move past Charal and catching Linked Out. I think Alex retired at a good time, who is going to race Apivia? Also Bureau Valle heading North at 1 knot? Tracker glitch or problem?

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, yl75 said:

I don't have the tide maps at hand, but all these currents are tide currents, so you can pass if you arrive before the "reverse", otherwise you don't.

I once got stuck at the Raz Blanchard (the west corner of the contention peninsula) in a race (long time ago), we dropped anchor (like many), were at 12 knts at one point at anchor (SOG=0), when the reverse came, had to cut the anchor rope ... The ones that dropped anchor where the reverse was starting very close to shore were the winning ones ...

http://img.xooimage.com/files115/d/7/7/carte_courant-5691934.jpg

01PM-Cherbourg-6.thumb.jpg.ae629590b94d0d32639439a36aed5f85.jpg07PM-Cherbourg.thumb.jpg.d5d044b543e5d0bafcde3f3d94ad6c95.jpg

Thank you, very helpful 

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Although it's great to see 11th Hour Racing making a move past Charal and catching Linked Out.

Not for long.

A couple of ultimate's, going backwards... 

2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

A bit boring in the Imoca class it seems Apivia in a class of it's own? Although it's great to see 11th Hour Racing making a move past Charal and catching Linked Out. I think Alex retired at a good time, who is going to race Apivia? Also Bureau Valle heading North at 1 knot? Tracker glitch or problem?

It's pretty shocking how much faster Apivia is for being what appears to be a very similar boat to many.  They have some secret that would be worth a lot of money to a lot of teams.  Even if it's just a magic gear for wind forward of the beam, it's quite a powerful tool to have in your pocket, considering all major IMOCA races depart from well inside the English Channel or the east end of Biscay.  It will be interesting to see if they have something special for VMG running as well.

• Like 2

Which makes no sense, unless they must leave Ushant to port. Which seems plausible for the effort they are going to.

Yet to get sucked into that position seems a little rookie for the people and boats involved.

Can anyone confirm actual route?

(The dotted lines of the tracker do not substitute for Sailing Instructions.)

3 hours ago, terrafirma said:

A bit boring in the Imoca class it seems Apivia in a class of it's own?

Charlie and Paul are sending it. No surprises there.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Foiling Optimist said:

The top three seemed to do the same thing and the first one that went direct was Sodebo. Super weird. You think they got sucked in there by big tides and no wind? 

Um... YES!

After Fastnet and the first 12 hours of the TJV it appears Apivia have cracked the code, or found the secret sauce.

Maybe their foils are more better?  They led right out of the gate and haven't looked back.   

3 hours ago, TPG said:
4 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Although it's great to see 11th Hour Racing making a move past Charal and catching Linked Out.

Not for long.

You were saying TPG..? :D LOL 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

It's like the ultime leaders were going to go south of Ushant and then suddenly decided to go around north for some reason but the wind has shut off completely. Zut alors!

Makes for some weird action on the tracker

2021-11-08_164254.png

29 minutes ago, kaptah said:

BP XI also abandoning?

Looks more to me that they found their way in the currents better than the others, but hope that is the case and they didn't start the engine ...

The ocean fifty "solitaire en peloton" is right behind them !

• Like 1

Doesn't look like you had to clear Ushant to port so hopefully we will find out what they were all up to soon thanks to the miracle of Instagram, though they haven't said anything in their last posts. I follow Sodebo, Gitana SVR and Gabart on the 'Gram and while there's no such thing as too much trimaran, that's a lot of trimaran. I think my French is slowly improving though. 

Hey is it just me or is the ratio of controversy to miles raced in French Course au Large just a little low in to keep English language forums losing their minds for years on end? Even moving the finish of the Fastnet to Cherbourg didn't compare to Auckland vs Jeddah and the latter isn't even decided. Oh well, I guess we have to keep discussing the actual sailing.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, yl75 said:

Bureau Vallée dismasted :( :

After 10 hours of racing only, they must feel devasted. More importantly, both men are safe.

• Like 1

One thing that is obvious is the old Hugo Boss is still a very fast boat. Being narrower she should be a little quicker in the non foiling conditions but they are in touch with the leaders. Hope the breeze builds a little more. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Herman said:

The fleet is in between the hammer and the anvil; two HP zones. Not really foiling conditions.

And looks like it is far from over ..

31 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Armel lost the bet ...

Not a good call when they were in the running up front. They're hitching out.... slowly....

9 hours ago, terrafirma said:

You were saying TPG..? :D LOL 

So much for the chuckles eh? Old boat has a 2 mile lead on the new boat now.

8 minutes ago, kaptah said:

In the latest update Armel looking really strong on BPXI. I was totally wrong thinking that they were done.

Well, he's living up to his nickname again.