One of the best. RIP.

( Point of order: I understand DTS to mean, "Dead Too Soon". Some seem to believe it to mean "Deader Than Shit". Which leaves DTF to mean, "Deader Than Fuck"? In any case, it seems a bit disrespectful, don't you think? NTTAWWT, this is Anarchy, after all. Thanks. .)

Damn.............. I really am getting to be that age where everyone I admired is dying....

1 hour ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

One of the best. RIP.

( Point of order: I understand DTS to mean, "Dead Too Soon". Some seem to believe it to mean "Deader Than Shit". Which leaves DTF to mean, "Deader Than Fuck"? In any case, it seems a bit disrespectful, don't you think? NTTAWWT, this is Anarchy, after all. Thanks. .)

Here it’s always meant Deader Then Shit.

the first time it was used her it was after someone was declared deader then shit and that was shortened to DTS 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Here it’s always meant Deader Then Shit.

the first time it was used her it was after someone was declared deader then shit and that was shortened to DTS 

In my head, it's Down The Shitter.

Oddly enough, I gave the man and a few members of the band a ride to the gym in the early 90's. They were staying at the hotel I worked in that didn't have a gym, but had a relationship with a nearby Jack LaLane (another blast from the past). The hotel van wasn't running so I offered to drive them a ride in my car.

What was a little sad was that when I got back to the hotel only one person had any idea who they were.

My boring story aside, he was one of the greats. I liked his music at first, but didn't fully appreciate it until later.

I play(ed) piano/keyboards back in the day. High school jazz band, swing choir (not sure what current term is) keyboards, played in local big band ensemble.
Drove my classical instructors crazy when all I wanted to do was play like him, Lyle Mays, Keith Emerson, Jeff Lorber, Josef Zawinul, Tom Schuman, etc. yeah, eclectic mix,  but sounds of the time. 

Sorry to hear of another great artist passing. 

5 hours ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

One of the best. RIP.

Originally it meant "Down The Shore", as in the New Jersey shore. It meant you were on vacation.... Or sometimes dead of a mob hit and wearing cement shoes.

In my father's day, it meant you were going down to the beach, maybe kiss and cuddle a buxsome broad that you'd never take home to meet mom and dad.....

You left that broad DTS.....

Now it has different meanings, which have even made it into my little black book.

6 hours ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

actually,   DTF   is supposed to be   down to fuck...   but who wants to be a necrophiliac..

Well that just sucks. I was on the road in the 70s, played bass and some keyboards and picked up RTF tapes and was so blown away.  Those cassettes got me through some weird times in some strange places.  RIP to a genius.  

On February 11, 2021 at 2:46 PM, justsomeguy! said:

Return to forever.

I stuck with electric flute after my friends had me listen to rtf. Between that and herbie manns Memphis underground I saw the light that it could be a viable jazz and jazz/rock instrument with sax like rawness instead of just a surgically clean and super precise sound.

i loved his albums Gary Burton on vibes. Met him in a small club in Santa Cruz with a much younger band. He was in line behind me for the head and insisted in not cutting the line. So we talked about his current life and band. Super unassuming guy.