I thought math was pretty cut and dried.  How can math be encouraging white supremacy?

Discuss.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oregon-education-math-white-supremacy

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And then there was the differential equations class I had to take for my civil/structural degree...only class I think I took where I knew more about the subject on the first day of class than I did wh

"The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false, and teaching it is even much less so," the document for the "Equitable Math" toolkit reads. "Upholding the idea that there ar

Recent trip to tractor supply, internet down so registers not working. I gave the kid some bills and enough coins to avoid getting a bunch of pennies back. He was totally confused, had to use his phon

Posted Images

math instruction is white supremacy because it rewards the correct answer, that may be the most racist idea I’ve heard this month. 

It is based on the belief that minorities cannot figure out the correct answer. What a crock. 

• Like 2

sheesh,  I though the one thing in life that was pretty much right and wrong (i was going to say black and white, but I don't want to be racist) was mathematics.  in some cases, you get the math numbers wrong people die...  Nasa, Boeing, Civil engineers, naval architects, ect.

yeah i get it that some areas are theoretical,  but by large what 99% of the population deals is   + - x / =      lunch was 21.50,  i gave 25 in cash,  i'm expecting a 3.50 in change...  there's no grey area there.  I'm either getting the proper amount back or i'm not.  if you try to give me 2.50  I complain.  you give 4.50  I may not.

The sad thing is that I'm seeing the confusion.  letts say my lunch tab was 21.50  so I give them 25.50, so I get just bills back.  sometimes the confusion is real.  You really want to blow their mind.  give em a $2 bill, or a $1 coin. 

The sad part is that its only gonna get worse as more people move to a cashless existence.

Recent trip to tractor supply, internet down so registers not working. I gave the kid some bills and enough coins to avoid getting a bunch of pennies back. He was totally confused, had to use his phone and still couldn't get it right. I told him what to give me back and left him with "It's just math". 

• Like 4

Ebonics with a calculator.

The toolkit adds that "building on the framework, teachers engage with critical praxis in order to shift their instructional beliefs and practices toward antiracist math education. By centering antiracism, we model how to be antiracist math educators with accountability."

Sorry, just being racist.

46 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

The sad thing is that I'm seeing the confusion.  letts say my lunch tab was 21.50  so I give them 25.50, so I get just bills back.  sometimes the confusion is real.  You really want to blow their mind.  give em a $2 bill, or a $1 coin. 

If you really want amusement, give $25 and wait until after the amount is entered into the register before giving the additional $0.50.

I try to pay cash for most things - especially tips (or did prior to COVID). Partially because I don't the entirety of my life tracked, partially because I don't want to give a bank and transaction processing company money 2-3% that I'd rather the merchant keep.

I realize it's a foolish philosophy, but in the last few years I've noticed more and more disdain, and even anger from those receiving the cash.

• Like 1

Not to be racist, but how does this impact Asian students? My personal experience in school was that they breezed through math and science classes. My very underwhelming education still left me with the skills to do numbers in my head and handle a cash register in the early years of my employment opportunities. 

Now, Asians and Drivers Ed???  ducking and running now... :P

WL

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:
2 hours ago, More Cowbell2 said:

Someone is now a "doctor" for this though I don't think it adds anything to the body of knowledge.

So, basically this is about Fox News claiming an educational program that mentions "racism" is a lot of muzzy-headed hooey? Color me surprised.

It would be interesting to see what the actual material was. It's quite possible that it is indeed a lot of muzzy-headed hooey, or it could be some useful and functional pointers to encourage minority students to do better at math.

My limited experience with high school kids in a context of trying to teach math or science related subjects (one of the cool things about sailing is that it is connected with every branch of science), is that there are a few kids who study hard and work at learning, and they enjoy being rewarded/recognized (almost always... don't push the shy ones). I've seen white kids who expected to coast on diagnoses of ADHD or whatever, and minority kids who try to say "this is too hard for me" (stereotype alert- the Asians rarely pull this).

If there were a bag of tricks I could use to get the kids more interested, to make it seem more relevant to them, I'd very much like that. Anti-racism or whatever the slogan of the day might be, results matter.

Sometimes it's surprising what they'll come up with, though. Most of them aren't dumb. They just have not been expected to perform at a level that will get them results in the real world, and as a result, they have not taken hold of the tools and materials they need. And worst of all, they're a few short semesters away from being dropped in a shark tank of college science/engineering programs.

- DSK

• Like 1

of course  if you remember back in the day.  when doing math,  

Student:  why can't I use a calculator?

Teacher/parent:  you need to learn how to do it since you won't always have a calculator around

FFwd 20 years.

student: Why do I have to learn this?

Teacher/parent:  you don't have to, you have a have a calculator in your pocket.

Student:  whats a calculator?

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

It would be interesting to see what the actual material was. It's quite possible that it is indeed a lot of muzzy-headed hooey, or it could be some useful and functional pointers to encourage minority students to do better at math.

With dumb headlines like Foxnews used and clickbaity thread subjects, it always pays to dig a little deeper.

This article gives some useful background:

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/04/racist-math-education/524199/

1 hour ago, cmonkey said:

Counting change from cash payments is a lost art.  

When I was a kid, they taught us to count up from wherever the total was to what they gave us. So if they handed you a twenty for a $2.38 purchase, it would be $2.39, $2.40, $2.50, $2.75, $3.00, $4.00, $5,00, $10.00, $20.00.

But then I noticed at some point in the 1990s, the registers told the clerks the change, literally said on the screen, pennies x 2, dimes x 1, quarters x 2, $1 x 2, $5 x 1, $10 x 1.

I can only assume the change was the result of us punk kids getting shortchanged by the shortchange artists, but it seemed to slow down the process, so I'm not sure if the owners actually made any more money.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

With dumb headlines like Foxnews used and clickbaity thread subjects, it always pays to dig a little deeper.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/04/racist-math-education/524199/

Good link.

If there is a way to teach math more effectively to more children, that's a good thing.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PurpleOnion said:

partially because I don't want to give a bank and transaction processing company money 2-3% that I'd rather the merchant keep.

I realize it's a foolish philosophy, but in the last few years I've noticed more and more disdain, and even anger from those receiving the cash.

...let them decide how/if to report it, their choice.  Further, if for any reason you don't pay off the balance on the due date, you pay interest on a tip you gave some one else.  I fold cash under the signed reciept.

30 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

So it's not about capability, but more about how to engage all when teaching a subject.  

Thought that was what teachers were supposed to do.

Though there were a few profs at the University that certainly could use a refresher in how to engage their students.

1 hour ago, alphafb552 said:

Pfffft, as if The Atlantic hasn't a slant?
com'on man!

Do not get me wrong, we do a crap job capturing the imagination of our kids. As such we get failing marks on the education front.

So much promise at 5 years old, lost by 15. That cannot continue and assigning blame to race based teaching methodology is not productive. At some point our society has to stop with the excuses and own our kids' futures.

59 minutes ago, More Cowbell2 said:

Though there were a few profs at the University that certainly could use a refresher in how to engage their students.

That is NOT their job damnit. Their job is to create an environment for social entitlement!!
Please get with the program.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, PurpleOnion said:

If you really want amusement, give $25 and wait until after the amount is entered into the register before giving the additional $0.50.

I try to pay cash for most things - especially tips (or did prior to COVID). Partially because I don't the entirety of my life tracked, partially because I don't want to give a bank and transaction processing company money 2-3% that I'd rather the merchant keep.

My wife still writes checks for most purchases over $50. If the cashier is fairly new, sometimes this is the first time they may have ever seen a check. They usually have to call a manager over to approve the check and to show the cashier how to take one. More than a few roll their eyes or ask, sometimes not politely, if she wouldn't prefer to pay with a credit or debit card. She would not...

Sometimes people in line behind her get annoyed at the length of time this can take and make a rude comment, but to be honest that doesn't happen often.

She likes to have a register of each purchase, always knows to a penny how much is in the checking account. I point out that she could exactly the same thing with a debit card and a smart phone.

She refuses to  carry or use a smart phone.

27 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

That is NOT their job damnit. Their job is to create an environment for social entitlement!!
Please get with the program.

my bad :D

3 hours ago, bmiller said:

Recent trip to tractor supply, internet down so registers not working. I gave the kid some bills and enough coins to avoid getting a bunch of pennies back. He was totally confused, had to use his phone and still couldn't get it right. I told him what to give me back and left him with "It's just math". 

It's not even math - it's low level elementary school arithmetic.

Like grade 3 or 4.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

of course  if you remember back in the day.  when doing math,  

Student:  why can't I use a calculator?

Teacher/parent:  you need to learn how to do it since you won't always have a calculator around

FFwd 20 years.

student: Why do I have to learn this?

Teacher/parent:  you don't have to, you have a have a calculator in your pocket.

Student:  whats a calculator?

This was the first calculator that my father brought home from work.

Image result for images of early calculators

More Reich Wing hate - intended to divide us . . 

which, as one can observe in the comments above, 

is succeeding. 

How many of ya believe the Big Lie ?? 

2 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

It does give some useful background.......  and it still says math instruction is a result of "white supremacy".  What a fucking bunch of BULLSHIT!  Even the little indigenous girl in the start of the article was in advanced AP classes and it was her own discomfort to not approach teachers (not the teachers themselves) that caused her problem.  

Lately, much of the discussion of race in math education has centered on the persistent underperformance of certain student groups, particularly black, Latino, and indigenous youth, and their disparate access to honors, gifted, and advanced mathematics courses. Yet a new paper disrupts those narratives by examining an unaddressed element of the equation—namely, the ways in which “whiteness” in math education reproduces racial advantages for white students and disadvantages historically marginalized students of color.

Has anyone addressed the other unaddressed element of the equation?  Namely that ALL learning starts at home from birth and minority students are historically far more underprepared when they hit the school system than their white and asian counterparts.  Level the playing field on that issue alone and you will see the disparities mostly go away.  

10 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

is succeeding. 

JFC - this is not a left/right issue!

5 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

JFC - this is not a left/right issue!

Most, but not all, racism is of the Reich. 

You really do not begin to grasp what FAUX is. 

7 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Most, but not all, racism is of the Reich. 

You really do not begin to grasp what FAUX is. 

The most common and corrosive type of educational racism is the stuff without agenda, the stuff that nobody notices. It's apolitical.

I worked at Macmillian/McGraw-Hill Eduction for several years, we would have to retool textbooks to the whims of state textbook adoption boards. The kinds of things that we would see from California and New York were sometimes even more blatant than the kinds of things we saw from Florida, Texas and Tennessee. I doubt that the state adoption boards said "hey, let's make choices that disenfranchise students of color" but the end result was sometimes indistinguishable from that.

But in general, I think that states who shitcanned the state adoption boards were better off. The schools were able to pick their own textbooks from any publisher that best suited their needs ... those are called "open adoption" states.

Probably the single worst thing for equity in school was the "No (every) Child Left Behind Act", and that passed with full bipartisan support. By pegging the schools to an average performance standard, it ended up defunding neighborhood schools in poor areas that desperately needed the funding and the students, and it moved that funding to the wealthy neighborhood schools, where many parents couldn't deliver their kids. So working parents were then forced to keep their children at underfunded, underperforming neighborhood schools. The "Reich" as you call it, was everyone, left, right and center.

40 minutes ago, dorydude said:

You would all be surprised what is racist now...

Coffee.jpg

Coffee is racist as hell.

Wealthy chains like Starbucks get their coffee through this "Fair Trade" model, which is utter bullshit, and ends up perpetuating poverty of people in Developing Nations in West Africa and South America.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2014/05/25/surprise-fairtrade-doesnt-benefit-the-poor-peasants/?sh=4b5c6090370d

1 hour ago, silent bob said:

Aspirin is Racist.

It's White, it works, and you have to pick cotton to get to it!

I'm so stealing that!!!  :lol:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

is succeeding. 

Apparently you.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, chinabald said:

math instruction is white supremacy because it rewards the correct answer, that may be the most racist idea I’ve heard this month. 

It is based on the belief that minorities cannot figure out the correct answer. What a crock. 

if you think minorities can't do math,  try shorting them $10 when you pay cash..

• Like 1

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/lapd-redeploys-controversial-units-in-south-l-a-other-neighborhoods-amid-spike-in-gun-violence/

So, is having the Police patrol a neighborhood or not patrol the neighborhood racist?  I'm so confused.  The Police got reduced in the area, and now shootings and murders are up in very high percentages, with most of the victims (and perpetrators) being "of color".  

4 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Why is this topic in GA?  It's most definitely a PA subject.  

It has been a civil discussion with out a lot of rancor, yet:ph34r:  The topic in and of itself is not political.

• Like 1

Not having read the article, there is plenty of opportunity for racism in mathematics education.  For example, word problems in a mathematics text may be couched in white societal norms which may be foreign to other ethnic or racial groups.

Just using WASP-ish names like Sally and Theodore for the people in the problems is an issue.  Students need to identify with what is going on.  It isn't just the names, it is also the types of problems being considered.  Even the old lawnmowing problem is an issue - if you live in a housing project you are not going to relate to cutting the surburban lawn are you?

All racial and ethnic groups need to be represented.  Asian, Black, Hispanic, First Nations.  

This isn't just political correctness, it is necessary for student engagement.  We do a pretty good job of this in Canada - I have no idea how culturally sensitive other places are.

Ok, now that I have completely pre-judged this I will go read the article.  :ph34r:

"The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false, and teaching it is even much less so," the document for the "Equitable Math" toolkit reads. "Upholding the idea that there are right and wrong answers perpetuate objectivity as well as fear of open conflict."

I'm just gonna say.... I'm glad I'll be gone before that generation of kids starts designing bridges and airplanes.

• Like 5

THE CITY OF LOS ANGELES — HIGH SCHOOL MATH PROFICIENCY EXAM

NAME: __________________

GANG: __________________

1. Johnny has an AK-47 with an 80-round clip. If he misses 6 out of 10 shots and shoots 13 times at each drive-by shooting, how many drive-by shootings can he attempt before he has to reload?
  2. Jose has 2 ounces of cocaine and he sells an 8-ball to Jackson for $320 and 2 grams to Billy for $85 per gram. What is the street value of the balance of the cocaine if he doesn't cut it?
  3. Rufus is pimping for three girls. If the price is $65 for each trick, how many tricks will each girl have to turn so Rufus can pay for his $800-per-day crack habit?
  4. Jarone want to cut his 1/2 pound of heroin to make 20% more profit. How many ounces of cut will he need?
  5. Willie gets $200 for stealing a BMW, $50 for a Chevy, and $100 for a 4X4. If he has stolen 2 BMWs, 3 4X4s, how many Chevies will he have to steal to make $800?
  6. Raoul got 6 years for murder. He also got $10,000 for the hit. If his common-law wife spends $100 per month, how much money will be left when he gets out?
    Extra credit bonus: how much more time will he get for killing the bitch that that spent his money?
  7. If an average can of spray paint covers 22 square feet and the average letter is 3 square feet, how many letters can be sprayed with 3 eight ounce cans of spray paint with 20% paint free?
  8. Hector knocked up 3 girls in the gang. There are 27 girls in his gang. What is the exact percentage of girls Hector knocked up?
  9. Thelma can cook dinner for her 16 children for $7.50 per night. She gets $234 a month welfare for each child. If her $325 per month rent goes up 15%, how many more children should she have to keep up with her expenses?
  10. Salvador was arrested for dealing crack and his bail was set at $25,000. If he pays a bail bondsman 12% and returns to Mexico, how much money will he lose by jumping bail?
  11. Bernie is a lookout for the gang. Bernie has a Boa Constrictor that eats 3 small rats per week at a cost of $5 per rat. If Bernie makes $700 a week as a lookout, how many weeks can he feed the Boa on one week's income?
  12. Billy steals Joe's skateboard. As Billy skates away at 35 mph, Joe loads his .357 Magnum. If it takes Joe 20 seconds to load his magnum, how far away will Billy be when he gets whacked?

Do not use this at school, especially not in the USA. Dozens of teachers have gotten in trouble, for doing so (even with entertainment purpose).
The joke employs the myth, that teens from urban centers are steeped in a drugs, guns, gangs, and promiscuity culture. So, in order to be relevant, even the math questions have to be framed in that context

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Not having read the article, there is plenty of opportunity for racism in mathematics education.  For example, word problems in a mathematics text may be couched in white societal norms which may be foreign to other ethnic or racial groups.

Just using WASP-ish names like Sally and Theodore for the people in the problems is an issue.  Students need to identify with what is going on.  It isn't just the names, it is also the types of problems being considered.  Even the old lawnmowing problem is an issue - if you live in a housing project you are not going to relate to cutting the surburban lawn are you?

All racial and ethnic groups need to be represented.  Asian, Black, Hispanic, First Nations.  

This isn't just political correctness, it is necessary for student engagement.  We do a pretty good job of this in Canada - I have no idea how culturally sensitive other places are.

Ok, now that I have completely pre-judged this I will go read the article.  :ph34r:

Ummm, you should have done that step first, if I might say so.

And second point, as a White Anglo Saxon descendent,  the number of actual "WASPs" as you refer to my people (which many find offensive) likely make actual White Anglo Saxons a true minority. It is only through cultural appropriation and cultural re-assignment that our numbers are considered any where's near a "majority" cultural heritage.
Nice job.

32 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

Ummm, you should have done that step first, if I might say so.

And second point, as a White Anglo Saxon descendent,  the number of actual "WASPs" as you refer to my people (which many find offensive) likely make actual White Anglo Saxons a true minority. It is only through cultural appropriation and cultural re-assignment that our numbers are considered any where's near a "majority" cultural heritage.
Nice job.

FTFY

10 hours ago, warbird said:

I cannot follow my 8 and 10 year old granddaughter's curriculum in school but when I do have them in the car or at the dinner table I do ask Math questions.

Started asking my son math questions while we were driving places. Then written questions while at restaurants. He is now a post-doc at UCLA teaching 1st year calculus.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Gangbusters said:

Started asking my son math questions while we were driving places. Then written questions while at restaurants. He is now a post-doc at UCLA teaching 1st year calculus.

I do not do challenging questions so much as "rote" questions. We need to prepare our kids or grandkids.  My kids will not be post doc but do have decent math skills.  Life skills not so much:ph34r:

6 minutes ago, warbird said:

I do not do challenging questions so much as "rote" questions. We need to prepare our kids or grandkids.  My kids will not be post doc but do have decent math skills.  Life skills not so much:ph34r:

Started out with simple math. Once a list of 13-15 questions all had the number 6 as the answer. Who new that that was going to be his path.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, warbird said:

18 minutes ago, Gangbusters said:

Started out with simple math. Once a list of 13-15 questions all had the number 6 as the answer. Who new that that was going to be his path.

Both my adopted daughters had a drug addict mom.  Each different manifestations of that background.  The grandaughters have the advantage of clean and sober mothers and are joys.  We have "Dry erase Math Problem" place mats for them at the dinner table.:D.  Like the "Number 6" answer.  "I am  not a number?"

8 hours ago, quod umbra said:

Apparently you.

You suggest that I believe the Big Lie, that  Drumph won the election ?? 

No, I do not believe that, 

do you ?? 

11 hours ago, Rain Man said:

FTFY

Oh so you know what I think and feel? Thanks for clearing that up for us all.
Listen, just because you live "In the land of white people" does not give you any right to tell others what to think and how to feel.
But that won't stop you and all the while you think you are entitled to do so.
Wanna colour my words, colour me not surprised in the least in how clueless you truly are.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

do you ?? 

Pfffft. No, the "big lie' you believe in and promote is that somehow Trump is the Second Coming of Hitler and all those who do not share your political slant are tantamount to Nazis. You fancy yourself to be an intellectually superior to the average person and thus through that false notion entitled to tell others how they should live their lives.
And the best part, the best part is you do not even see nor understand how flawed, how bigoted you really are.

Dunning Krueger much??

• Like 4
7 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

do you ?? 

Now for your other premise, whether or not our most recent election should be held in question.

Statistically speaking, it is improbable, but not impossible Mr. Biden won they way he won.

Statistically speaking, when you have a surge of 30 million votes over any prior election, there is an increased possibility that some degree of fraud took place.

Antidotally speaking if you and I were sitting down having a beer back in October, and one of us suggested that Donald Trump would garner 10 million more votes than in 2016, we would have been laughing until half dozen days after the election.

Antidotally speaking if while sharing that beer one of us suggested that Joe Biden would garner more votes than either Hillary Clinton or Barak Obama, and do so by 20 million votes we would have thought that insane.

So with that before, do you think there is a possibility, no matter how small, that our most recent election may have been compromised?

I'll tell you this much, no matter the answers to the above, we need to do a top to bottom review of our election laws, strengthen them and ensure that future elections are above reproach.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

Statistically speaking, when you have a surge of 30 million votes over any prior election, there is an increased possibility that some degree of fraud took place. 

Please show your calculations.

14 hours ago, Windward said:

THE CITY OF LOS ANGELES — HIGH SCHOOL MATH PROFICIENCY EXAM

NAME: __________________

GANG: __________________

1. Johnny has an AK-47 with an 80-round clip. If he misses 6 out of 10 shots and shoots 13 times at each drive-by shooting, how many drive-by shootings can he attempt before he has to reload?
  2. Jose has 2 ounces of cocaine and he sells an 8-ball to Jackson for $320 and 2 grams to Billy for $85 per gram. What is the street value of the balance of the cocaine if he doesn't cut it?
  3. Rufus is pimping for three girls. If the price is $65 for each trick, how many tricks will each girl have to turn so Rufus can pay for his $800-per-day crack habit?
  4. Jarone want to cut his 1/2 pound of heroin to make 20% more profit. How many ounces of cut will he need?
  5. Willie gets $200 for stealing a BMW, $50 for a Chevy, and $100 for a 4X4. If he has stolen 2 BMWs, 3 4X4s, how many Chevies will he have to steal to make $800?
  6. Raoul got 6 years for murder. He also got $10,000 for the hit. If his common-law wife spends $100 per month, how much money will be left when he gets out?
    Extra credit bonus: how much more time will he get for killing the bitch that that spent his money?
  7. If an average can of spray paint covers 22 square feet and the average letter is 3 square feet, how many letters can be sprayed with 3 eight ounce cans of spray paint with 20% paint free?
  8. Hector knocked up 3 girls in the gang. There are 27 girls in his gang. What is the exact percentage of girls Hector knocked up?
  9. Thelma can cook dinner for her 16 children for $7.50 per night. She gets $234 a month welfare for each child. If her $325 per month rent goes up 15%, how many more children should she have to keep up with her expenses?
  10. Salvador was arrested for dealing crack and his bail was set at $25,000. If he pays a bail bondsman 12% and returns to Mexico, how much money will he lose by jumping bail?
  11. Bernie is a lookout for the gang. Bernie has a Boa Constrictor that eats 3 small rats per week at a cost of $5 per rat. If Bernie makes $700 a week as a lookout, how many weeks can he feed the Boa on one week's income?
  12. Billy steals Joe's skateboard. As Billy skates away at 35 mph, Joe loads his .357 Magnum. If it takes Joe 20 seconds to load his magnum, how far away will Billy be when he gets whacked?

Do not use this at school, especially not in the USA. Dozens of teachers have gotten in trouble, for doing so (even with entertainment purpose).
The joke employs the myth, that teens from urban centers are steeped in a drugs, guns, gangs, and promiscuity culture. So, in order to be relevant, even the math questions have to be framed in that context

You spelled “perpetuates the stereotype” wrong.  

23 hours ago, mikewof said:

When I was a kid, they taught us to count up from wherever the total was to what they gave us. So if they handed you a twenty for a $2.38 purchase, it would be $2.39, $2.40, $2.50, $2.75, $3.00, $4.00, $5,00, $10.00, $20.00.

But then I noticed at some point in the 1990s, the registers told the clerks the change, literally said on the screen, pennies x 2, dimes x 1, quarters x 2, $1 x 2, $5 x 1, $10 x 1.

I can only assume the change was the result of us punk kids getting shortchanged by the shortchange artists, but it seemed to slow down the process, so I'm not sure if the owners actually made any more money.

In 1984 I was a manager at a restaurant. I was trying to teach a hostess how to work the cash register and make change. After some time of getting no where I asked her how many quarters in a dollar, how many dimes, how many nickels... she didn’t know. 

Somewhere right now that same woman is in her fifties and posting on Facebook about “kids today”. 

Cash registers tell the cashier how much change to give, not because of a recent failure in education, or as a result of shortchange artists. But as a result of technology Catching up to need. I would have to hire and subsequently fire lots of kids who couldn’t make change, now there is a better chance of keeping that person employed. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, mathystuff said:

Please show your calculations.

First off the premise that they are "my calculations" is errant. I do not think I am qualified to undertake such an exhaustive exercise. As such would  defer to those more suited.
I offer you this....

https://www.heritage.org/article/about-the-election-fraud-database

I hope that helps you better understand how I have approached this. subject.
That said, I do not wholly think the issue is whether the election is suspect due to election fraud. Rather, that as the world's bellwether democracy, the US has an obligation to lead by example and ensure that fraud does not place our elections above reproach. 

5 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Wot?

LOL, nice catch. Sometimes the hand is quicker than the mind, or something like that.
The point I am attempting to make is this, if not for the appearance of possible fraud, does a candidate such as Donald Trump (or Hillary Clinton in 2016) have the opportunity to call into question that election? In doing so it undermines our democracy and delegitimizes the winner. Our goal in staging elections should be that that is not an exploitable option.
At the time of the election, when DJT started suggesting fraud, I strongly felt that Joe Biden should have joined him in calling for an exhaustive investigation. I say this for two reason. First it would have been unifying, disarming those who may think the possibility existed. Second it would have strengthened Mr. Biden's validity in that he would have then been able to point to an exhaustive review that certified his election to the presidency.

Sorry to take this into the political realm. I am torn between answering those who ask questions of my and at the same time taking it to a place better suited for the PA swamp.

Last I shall say on the subject. Please resume regularly scheduled programming. 

25 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

First off the premise that they are "my calculations" is errant. I do not think I am qualified to undertake such an exhaustive exercise. As such would  defer to those more suited.
I offer you this....

https://www.heritage.org/article/about-the-election-fraud-database

That site does not contain any calculations regarding what you said.

30 seconds of googling found voter turnout not increasing by 30kk but by 12kk, tho. An increase of ~2% which fits with the pattern of increased voter turnout since the 90s.

The site you linked speaks of ~1100 cases of election fraud. It is unclear whether they are all from the 2020 pres election. Even if they were, they wouldn't change the outcome.

Overall I rate your statements BS for bullshit.

16 hours ago, Windward said:

You are a racist slime for posting that garbage - teachers should indeed get "in trouble" for using it. 

Like getting terminated from the profession. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, quod umbra said:

You fancy yourself to be

How do you know what "I fancy" ?? 

Once again, the Reich shows off its superior mind reading skills. 

And thanks to everyone else for challenging the election drivel in defense of the Big Lie 

1 minute ago, AJ Oliver said:

You are a racist slime for posting that garbage - teachers should indeed get "in trouble" for using it. 

Like getting terminated from the profession. 

For the love of God go back to PA or wherever and stay there. 

3 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

So ya think racism is not political ?? 

That strikes me a pretty darn dumb 

1 hour ago, mathystuff said:

That site does not contain any calculations regarding what you said.

30 seconds of googling found voter turnout not increasing by 30kk but by 12kk, tho. An increase of ~2% which fits with the pattern of increased voter turnout since the 90s.

The site you linked speaks of ~1100 cases of election fraud. It is unclear whether they are all from the 2020 pres election. Even if they were, they wouldn't change the outcome.

Overall I rate your statements BS for bullshit.

Okay, I said I wouldn't, but I am weak….lol

For starters, according to Wikipedia (I know)

2016, 62.9 million votes Clinton + 65.8 million Trump = 128.7 million.

2020, 74.2 Trump, 81.2 Biden= 26.7 million additional votes cast.

So then the increase over 2016 to 2020 being 26.7 million, divided by 128.7 million gets you 0.207..... move two places to the left to convert that to percentage and you get 20.7%

So you arecorrect,26.7 million, not 30 million. As for 2%, not sure where you got that but you are the one with the "mathy" screen name.

As for the link I offered you. Maybe actually reading the cited page would be helpful......paragraph 5 states, "....

"But.as the U.S. Supreme Court said in 2008 in Crawford v. Marion County Election Board, “flagrant examples of such fraud … have been documented throughout this Nation's history by respected historians and journalists … [that] demonstrate that not only is the risk of voter fraud real but that it could affect the outcome of a close election.”

Enjoy your day.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

How do you know what "I fancy" ?? 

Once again, the Reich shows off its superior mind reading skills. 

And thanks to everyone else for challenging the election drivel in defense of the Big Lie 

I think it plain to see for all who read your posts that the only one not seeing it is you.
The rest of that post best summed up by "pot/kettle".....
Enjoy your day.

2 hours ago, chinabald said:

In 1984 I was a manager at a restaurant. I was trying to teach a hostess how to work the cash register and make change. After some time of getting no where I asked her how many quarters in a dollar, how many dimes, how many nickels... she didn’t know. 

Somewhere right now that same woman is in her fifties and posting on Facebook about “kids today”. 

Cash registers tell the cashier how much change to give, not because of a recent failure in education, or as a result of shortchange artists. But as a result of technology Catching up to need. I would have to hire and subsequently fire lots of kids who couldn’t make change, now there is a better chance of keeping that person employed. 

The register I used in the 1980s was electronic, it had a function somehow back total the change, but the owner didn't want us to use it, nor did any of us know how, because it supposedly messed with the end-of-day tallies. I agree that technology does catch up to need, but sometimes it makes its own need, by stupifying us to a degree.

Older folks have a really hard time with some of these transitions. When did Britain transition from the "old money" to the "new money"? I remember standing  in line at a shop in Manchester, some kids ahead of me were pissed off and complaining about an elderly woman holding up the line because she couldn't figure out the new money and the counter girl was patiently helping her. It must be very tough for old folks to use a certain money their entire life and then have the rug pulled out from them in the last few years of their lives.

20 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Indeed. Any attempt to group people into sub-sets is designed only to diminish them. Any party that ascribes to such is make them believe that  life is about the color of their skin or their ancestral lineage. I would rather we measure people by the content of their heart.

Now again, good day. Off to far more important tasks.

2 minutes ago, mikewof said:

……..but sometimes it makes its own need, by stupifying us to a degree.

My father, rest his soul, would not allow me to use a calculator in my youth. At the time I thought it arcane, old fashioned.

Today I thank him.

14 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

My father, rest his soul, would not allow me to use a calculator in my youth. At the time I thought it arcane, old fashioned.

Today I thank him.

I had the opposite problem. My old man was an engineer on the Titan Missile program, any new technology was holy to him. He had many mechanical adding machines, and got one of the first electronic calculators, the thing literally plugged into the wall with a three-pronged grounded plug!

He insisted on teaching me to use them as I got older, but it had to be his way, which meant first typing hex-codes into his Heath Kit breadboard computer and later suffering through Reverse Polish Notation on his HP. And of course, all of that had to come after first learning to use both linear and circular slide rules. I ended up detesting math for quite a while.

One odd memory ... before he got his HP, they had advertised in one of his engineering magazines about this pocket marvel from HP, and had a little die-cut of the calculator which was the same size, and could be popped out of the magazine. (Obviously paper thickness rather than calculator thickness, but the same size otherwise.) He walked around all day with this cardboard cutout of a several thousand dollar pocket HP calculator in his pocket, just marveling at the arrival of the space age to the ability to shrink down a calculator to pocket size.

Now my son has a supercomputer that he uses to play Fortnite and Roblox, and it has trained him to do math in his head, somehow. The schools can't even keep up with these gamer kids in teaching them math, they seem to learn it so fast that the other subjects like reading and writing and social studies can't keep up and there is no clear cross-curricular way to move math up for the non-gamer kids.. But I handed him some rare earth magnets the other day, and it's the first toy he's had since discovering video games that infatuates him equally. We need more toys like that for kids, things without an educational agenda, that just work on Mother Nature's sexy hips.

51 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

So then the increase over 2016 to 2020 being 26.7 million, divided by 128.7 million gets you 0.207..... move two places to the left to convert that to percentage and you get 20.7%

The english wiki states 23 million additional votes which is roughly 7 percentage points higher turnout.

The german wiki, which I looked at first, states 12 million/2 percentage points.

Anyway you are avoiding the point:

How does a higher turnout statistically prove fraud?

Was there fraud in 04 aswell, when turnout jumped up 5 percentage points?

How huge must the fraud have been in german elections for the european parliament when voter turnout jumped up 15 percentage points?

440px-WahlbeteiligungEuropawahl.svg.png

3 hours ago, quod umbra said:

Rather, that as the world's bellwether democracy, the US has an obligation to lead by example and ensure that fraud does not place our elections above reproach. 

If you did even a scintilla of research, you would know that House-passed bills on voting and election security sits inactive on McConnell's desk. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/482569-senate-gop-blocks-three-election-security-bills

Historically racists (they used to mostly be Dems) have used vote suppression and outright terror as tools of voting fraud. 

I'm no big fan of the Dems, but they are much better on electoral reform. 

So stop with the Both Sidesism 

2 minutes ago, mathystuff said:

The english wiki states 23 million additional votes which is roughly 7 percentage points higher turnout.

The german wiki, which I looked at first, states 12 million/2 percentage points.

Anyway you are avoiding the point:

How does a higher turnout statistically prove fraud?

Was there fraud in 04 aswell, when turnout jumped up 5 percentage points?

I am not avoiding anything. 
I am admittedly miffed by your math. If we had 128.7 million votes cast in 2016 and that increased by 26.7 million, what is the percentage of increase over that 128.7? 
Again, 26.7 divided by 128.7 gives you 0.207 greater number of votes....expressed in percentage that would be an increase of 20.7%. If you would be so kind as to explain why you think my math is wrong, I would appreciate that.
As for the second part, I take it that you first go to the German version of wiki and then the English version, that you are not from the US. So this is the part you are missing. Due to Covid many states implemented vote by mail. There are numerous accounts that the protocols for mail in voting were not followed. No address verification, no signature verification, like that. Further, many of these states that opted for mail in voting did so in non-legislative manners. The US Constitution states that changes to voting law for federal elections is to be done at the legislative level. That is to say any given Board of Elections cannot just decide to mail out ballots to everyone in their state. Now a state can opt to do that, but it must do so by vote of their legislature and have those changes signed into law by their Governor. 
So back to your question, how do we know whether or not there were an erroneous number of ballots cast? It goes back to the fact that these additional mail in ballots were not deemed valid due to lack of proper address, lack of verified signature or missing/invalid signatures. Again, as to my citation link above, at face value if you cannot verify the veracity of a ballot, then it is to be disqualified. That was not done and thus calls into question whether or not fraud took place.
Also from my link, it is nearly impossible to certify ballots after the fact, as noted in that article. That is problematic in qualifying those votes.
I hope that helps and look forward to your response on the math question.

Thanks

• Like 1
1 minute ago, quod umbra said:

Again, 26.7 divided by 128.7 gives you 0.207 greater number of votes....expressed in percentage that would be an increase of 20.7%. If you would be so kind as to explain why you think my math is wrong, I would appreciate that.

Your maths isn't wrong, but no one does it that way like ever...

Especially as it ignores the number of eligible voters going up as well.

That's why it is more usual to speak about percentage points.

As for the voting by mail, we have the same idiotic arguments from the right wing in germany. Do you seriously believe the people setting up voting by mail are too stupid to set up basic failsaves like a unique ballot ID matched to a voter? Where are the people complaining of not recieving their ballots if someone else used it?

2 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

If you did even a scintilla of research, you would know that House-passed bills on voting and election security sits inactive on McConnell's desk. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/482569-senate-gop-blocks-three-election-security-bills

Historically racists (they used to mostly be Dems) have used vote suppression and outright terror as tools of voting fraud. 

I'm no big fan of the Dems, but they are much better on electoral reform. 

So stop with the Both Sidesism 

Ummmm putting aside your usual condescension….. The House cannot simply pass legislation to change voting regulations. That is the domain of The US Constitution. Altering that constitution requires a Constitutional Amendment.
Frankly I am a bit surprised you do not know that.
As for voting rights, voting rights are to be afforded to those who enjoy the right to vote. Asking someone to demonstrate eligibility is not voter suppression as you would lead people here to believe. All US Citizens hold a Social Security Number, it is required by age 12 IIRC. Nearly all US Citizens born in the US have or have access to a Birth Certificate on file with the county they were born in. All persons who seek employment, government 'benefits', a passport, driver's license, bank account, etc need or are required to have a Social Security Number. It is plain nonsense that someone legally in the US or born in the US has limited access to those documents. It is a fallacy that is perpetrated by the Democrat Party to give the illusion of voter suppression. Thus anyone who relies on logic and reason is capable of understanding that. Those who use that as some crutch to argue voter suppression is being disingenuous at best.... at worst, it is to afford those not eligible to vote to cast what should be an invalid ballot.

1 hour ago, Cruisin Loser said:

1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

I quite obviously said nothing of the sort, nor did I engage in insults. 

I simply asked that you take your unusually distasteful style of politics back to the appropriate forum.

I'll ask the same of everyone arguing about election issues here. This is not the forum. 

Take it to PA, please. We all know where to find you guys/gals, and your opinions, if we ever decide that we truly hate ourselves and want to engage in a shit throwing contest with a bunch of howler monkeys. 

Where is @VWAP when you really need him? 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, mathystuff said:

Your maths isn't wrong, but no one does it that way like ever...

Especially as it ignores the number of eligible voters going up as well.

That's why it is more usual to speak about percentage points.

As for the voting by mail, we have the same idiotic arguments from the right wing in germany. Do you seriously believe the people setting up voting by mail are too stupid to set up basic failsaves like a unique ballot ID matched to a voter? Where are the people complaining of not recieving their ballots if someone else used it?

Thanks for confirming the math I used is correct.
As for your question, "Do you seriously believe the people setting up voting by mail are too stupid to set up basic failsaves like a unique ballot ID matched to a voter?" YES. This has been regularly demonstrated that fail safes were ignored in the past election.
As for the last sentence, in the US most state laws require the person wishing to vote by mail request a ballot. The problem with blanket mailing of ballots is that there are ballots being sent to people no longer eligible to vote in that state or that congressional district. Numerous instances or voter roles being so outdated that people no longer living in that district or just plain no longer living are somehow voting. I think you have to remember we are not a single 'state' such as Germany. We area nation of states  many of which are as big as German, if not bigger. So look at it this way, someone used to live and be eligible to vote in Berlin. Then they move to say Lisbon. How do you track that in a free society? Thus there are numerous invalid ballots, at face value, mailed for each election. I hope that helps.
As for this being a left/right issue, it is not really that at all. I suspect you would agree recent immigrants who have come to Germany from Eastern Europe or The Middle East, who have not gotten or pursued the right to vote under German Law, should not be voting. In the US that is not readily the case unfortunately.
Again, I hope you are enjoying your day.

8 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I quite obviously said nothing of the sort, nor did I engage in insults. 

I simply asked that you take your unusually distasteful style of politics back to the appropriate forum.

I'll ask the same of everyone arguing about election issues here. This is not the forum. 

Take it to PA, please. We all know where to find you guys/gals, and your opinions, if we ever decide that we truly hate ourselves and want to engage in a shit throwing contest with a bunch of howler monkeys. 

Where is @VWAP when you really need him? 

Sorry CL.
But please, I beg of you, do not wish VWAP inserting his/her usual offerings here.
I sir was brought up in a good home with parents who taught me to answer questions from others when asked. Impolite not to. Forgive my foibles please.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

I think you have to remember we are not a single 'state' such as Germany. We area nation of states  many of which are as big as German, if not bigger. So look at it this way, someone used to live and be eligible to vote in Berlin. Then they move to say Lisbon. How do you track that in a free society?

Uhm, it's the federal republic of Germany. With 16 states. With their own parliaments and so on.

We track that with an Einwohnermeldeamt. Great idea. You should try it. If you aren't registered with it, you're not going to get the letter needed for voting and your name isn't going to be on the voters list anyway.

From my understanding you need to be registered as a voter to vote in the US aswell.

Obviously there are always going to be some mistakes with lists not being up to date, but that's not fraud. Fraud implies intent.

10 minutes ago, mathystuff said:

Uhm, it's the federal republic of Germany. With 16 states. With their own parliaments and so on.

We track that with an Einwohnermeldeamt. Great idea. You should try it. If you aren't registered with it, you're not going to get the letter needed for voting and your name isn't going to be on the voters list anyway.

From my understanding you need to be registered as a voter to vote in the US aswell.

Obviously there are always going to be some mistakes with lists not being up to date, but that's not fraud. Fraud implies intent.

QU may have picked the wrong guy to argue with about Germany.