How to become the Challenger of Record

7 hours ago, accnick said:

Dennis's catamaran had a solid wing. No mainsail to flag.

He did sail without a jib for much of the time, however.

As did DoGZilla !!

10 hours ago, timmytwinstay said:

The stock photos on the internet notwithstanding, my recollection is that M&M designed the boat with both a hard and soft mains,  but ended up racing with the soft sail because it was more reliable and by then, they had figured out just how fast they were.  But you could be correct.  It was over 30 years ago.  I will ask Gino the next time I see him.

I also thought the race was on soft sails but there is a video of the race somewhere which can remind us.

You said in earlier post that defender RNZYS is in breach of obligations and IPL asked how.   I also think it’s too early to see any breach.   Thus far they have done what every defender has done. They have accepted a challenge from a CoR.  In this case the challenger is a reputable and credible yacht club long associated with the cup. They are working on a protocol just like every defender before them. For the last 4 cups, the boat had changed. For the first time in decade it is staying the same which should make the protocol easier than previously 

11 hours ago, timmytwinstay said:

The stock photos on the internet notwithstanding, my recollection is that M&M designed the boat with both a hard and soft mains,  but ended up racing with the soft sail because it was more reliable and by then, they had figured out just how fast they were.  But you could be correct.  It was over 30 years ago.  I will ask Gino the next time I see him.

They did have soft sails originally, but ended up developing and using two different wing sizes. They used one of the wings during both races--can't remember which one. 

They had a unique tilting table  that allowed the boat, with the wing in, to be laid on its side when hauled out, saving the trouble of pulling the wing at night.

I was there working for the entire event, and observed it first-hand, including following the boats around the entire race course, down to the Mexican border.

Coming back in after the second race, the wash from the spectator fleet, combined with the typical swell off Point Loma, made the wing start to break up as it slammed. I can't remember if it was Bill Trenkle or someone else, but they started slashing panels in the lower part of the wing to try to reduce load on it while sailing back to  SDYC.

The boat and the wing had done their job.

Unlike some more modern wings, most of the wing panels in Dennis's wing were covered with opaque white material, rather than clear Clysar. But if you look at video of the racing--both boats in the same frame--you will see that it is one of the wings. I believe it must have been the smaller wing.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, accnick said:

This shows how lumpy the conditions were off Point Loma. This picture was taken during the sail back in after the second race. This is just about the time they starting slashing lower panels on the wing.

554855063_1988001.thumb.jpg.9e5cf06d191ff27a578bb42c295bbdbe.jpg

54 minutes ago, accnick said:

This shows how lumpy the conditions were off Point Loma. This picture was taken during the sail back in after the second race. This is just about the time they starting slashing lower panels on the wing.

554855063_1988001.thumb.jpg.9e5cf06d191ff27a578bb42c295bbdbe.jpg

I am prepared to come here and weed through a lot of cr@p to get some first hand gems like this. thank you.