Can I add a jib furler?

I have a Still 525 sailing dinghy. This class is probably unknown outside of Finland but it's much like a wayfarer, Flying Scot, GP14 etc. 

Here is a Picture of the boat in case it helps to see what I mean.

Currently the jib is setup to attach to the forestay with plastic shanks. I was wondering whether it would be possible to instead add a furler and attach the jib halyard to the furler and have the jib furler around the halyard instead of the forestay. The Jib does not have a wire sown into the luff but I believe it will furl round the halyard none the less. 

Can anybody see any major flaws with this idea? I kind of like having the idea of my jib being furled instead just being pulled down and crumpled into a pile at the bow. Also it would make it much easier to get the jib out of the way when using the spinnaker.

It is a bit ambiguous as to what you are proposing.

But it seems you are proposing to leave the forestay independent and have the sail furl around itself. So that means the sail won't be hanked to the forestay.

This will give you two problems

• Without a luff wire, the jib will sag badly. In fact it will barely set at all
  • Unless there is enough separation between the forestay and the jib as it furls, or the roller incorporates some sort of spacer, for former will get caught up in the latter.

So, this can be done, but you'll need to insert a luff wire in the jib and give the roller the space it needs to work. Plus you might then need a better mechanism to tighten the jib luff (when the forestay is taking the load it doesn't need to be as tight.

If you roll up the jib and forestay together, the problem will be you can't then lower the jib

45 minutes ago, Rambler said:

It is a bit ambiguous as to what you are proposing.

But it seems you are proposing to leave the forestay independent and have the sail furl around itself. So that means the sail won't be hanked to the forestay.

This will give you two problems

• Without a luff wire, the jib will sag badly. In fact it will barely set at all
  • Unless there is enough separation between the forestay and the jib as it furls, or the roller incorporates some sort of spacer, for former will get caught up in the latter.

So, this can be done, but you'll need to insert a luff wire in the jib and give the roller the space it needs to work. Plus you might then need a better mechanism to tighten the jib luff (when the forestay is taking the load it doesn't need to be as tight.

If you roll up the jib and forestay together, the problem will be you can't then lower the jib

Yes the forestay would be independent. I would run a wire from the furler at the bottom to the swivel at the top. This would be the appropriate size for the jib. I would then hank the jib to that wire and have the bottom and top of the luff attached to the furler and the swivel respectively. Then the top of the swivel would be attached to the halyard which would be used to tension the whole setup. I would imagine this would be ensure that the jib wouldn't sag. Have a look at the attachment to get a better idea of what I plan to do.

Also the separation would be an issue but I think I could overcome that without too much hassle. 

Barton_Marine_-_Tech_Info_-_Jib_Furling_with_Sail_Hanks_-_Fitting.pdf

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bluefightingcat said:

You wouldn't happen to have some photos around. I would love to see how you managed to do it.

No, not anymore, but i searched on goog and found them, "make your own dinghy furler"

Most dinghies with blade jibs don't put away the jib when flying the spinnaker. the only one I know of the is Buccaneer and that boat is unique in having a genoa with a lot of overlap which would make handling the genoa and spinnaker difficult. I think the Buccaneer uses a "structural furler" where the forestay wire is the furler wire and the jib is a zip luff.