NY nursing home covid deaths

10 minutes ago, bpm57 said:

https://nypost.com/2021/02/11/cuomo-aide-admits-they-hid-nursing-home-data-from-feds

Oh look, now that they don't have to worry about the DoJ doing anything - I guess it is ok to finally admit what everyone believed for months - that their numbers were all a lie.

Citing the New York Post? Is that on the same page as the story about Cher's two-headed alien love child that grew up to be an Elvis impersonator?

- DSK

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

Citing the New York Post? Is that on the same page as the story about Cher's two-headed alien love child that grew up to be an Elvis impersonator?

- DSK

Hey, The National Enquirer nailed the John Edwards story.  Sometimes the blind squirrel finds a nut!

But instead of a mea culpa to the grieving family members of more than 13,000 dead seniors or the critics who say the Health Department spread COVID-19 in the care facilities with a March 25 state Health Department directive that nursing homes admit infected patients, DeRosa tried to make amends with the fellow Democrats for the political inconvenience it caused them.

“So we do apologize,” she said. “I do understand the position that you were put in. I know that it is not fair. It was not our intention to put you in that political position with the Republicans.”

She didn't apologize for the deaths, just for the Political Inconvenience !

13 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

Not so fast.

There are plenty of direct quotes in this reporting, and there is ample evidence cited in the article. This has always been a lingering question: how was this policy created, and did those who make the decision take ownership of its implementation and results?

How to unload hospitals of recovering COVID+ patients was of crucial concern to not only hospital systems but to the politicians and public health officials dealing with an escalating crisis.

With no place to discharge patients, hospitals ran the risk of getting clogged up and being unable to serve new patients. 

But forcing infectious patients into unprepared nursing homes inevitably spread the disaster to residents and staff.

I don’t care the source, this story needs to be told. Well done to the NY Post for breaking this important story.

The statistics about old folks home deaths were not falsified or hidden. The statisticians reported “where the deaths occurred.”

As many of the very ill people in old folks homes were taken to hospitals where they later died, the number of people who died after they became sick at nursing homes  was not reported by the NY State statisticians. 

Cuomo made no effort to point out the fact the “deaths in old folks homes” did not include “deaths at hospitals of  old folks homes residents.”

Was it a convenient method of reporting for a governor who was under fire for sending infected residents back to the places where they lived??  Certainly!

Was it deceptive? 

was the reporting system established after the fact to provide cover for the governor? No 

was his silence slimy? Yes. 

Was it criminal? No

57 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

Not so fast.

There are plenty of direct quotes in this reporting, and there is ample evidence cited in the article. This has always been a lingering question: how was this policy created, and did those who make the decision take ownership of its implementation and results?

How to unload hospitals of recovering COVID+ patients was of crucial concern to not only hospital systems but to the politicians and public health officials dealing with an escalating crisis.

With no place to discharge patients, hospitals ran the risk of getting clogged up and being unable to serve new patients. 

But forcing infectious patients into unprepared nursing homes inevitably spread the disaster to residents and staff.

I don’t care the source, this story needs to be told. Well done to the NY Post for breaking this important story.

As my bro Silent sez, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. The Post is one of Dog's favorite sources of FUCK-DEMOCRATS!!! "news" and "info" and that was the main point of my comments. I would not be a bit surprised if they also mentioned about the refusal to use the Navy hospital ship, too.

Did Gov. Cuomo screw up? Yes. This, and a few other times.

Did he have any better choices at the time? I don't know, I haven't seen any unequivocally better alternatives spelled out.

The story is good lesson in hard choices. It certainly should be known and be told. However I object to it being used as a mindless partisan smear.

- DSK

3 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

The statistics about old folks home deaths were not falsified or hidden. The statisticians reported “where the deaths occurred.”

As many of the very ill people in old folks homes were taken to hospitals where they later died, the number of people who died after they became sick at nursing homes  was not reported by the NY State statisticians. 

Cuomo made no effort to point out the fact the “deaths in old folks homes” did not include “deaths at hospitals of  old folks homes residents.”

Was it a convenient method of reporting for a governor who was under fire for sending infected residents back to the places where they lived??  Certainly!

Was it deceptive? 

was the reporting system established after the fact to provide cover for the governor? No 

was his silence slimy? Yes. 

Was it criminal? No

I agree it was slimy and reprehensible, and Cuomo shaould be held accountable if he is culpable. Does that make him worse than the governors of Florida and Texas that also under reported covid deaths?

15 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

All the deaths were reported. They were simply reported as where they happened. 

Let's see some selective outrage at DeSantis and his handiwork.

Yes, that's whataboutism.

16 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

All the deaths were reported. They were simply reported as where they happened. 

Liar

admission from Melissa DeRosa, New York’s secretary to the governor, who privately admitted that the administration covered up nursing home death data over fears of a federal probe under the Trump administration

8 hours ago, Gone Drinking said:

Liar

admission from Melissa DeRosa, New York’s secretary to the governor, who privately admitted that the administration covered up nursing home death data over fears of a federal probe under the Trump administration

He's not lying.  You're misunderstanding the issue.   

The total number of deaths for a County, or the State, is/are still correct.  It's how many of the deaths were nursing home residents (as opposed to other folk), that Andy's "hiding".  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Gone Drinking said:

Liar

Not one word  I wrote was false!

The fact you  are unable to comprehend a simple straight forward explanation, considered by itself, says absolutely nothing bad about you.

The fact your mother never successfully taught you better than to call grownups derogatory names either says a lot about the woman and her priorities or demonstrates your contempt and disrespect for the woman. 

Either way, I feel sorry for you. 

4 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Not one word  I wrote was false!

The fact you  are unable to comprehend a simple straight forward explanation, considered by itself, says absolutely nothing bad about you.

The fact your mother never successfully taught you better than to call grownups derogatory names either says a lot about the woman and her priorities or demonstrates your contempt and disrespect for the woman. 

Either way, I feel sorry for you. 

Ha ha ha. Ooooooo did my words hurt you. And bringing my mom into this. How old are you? 12?  You asshole, or do you prefer to be called a fucking count. How's that for derogatory

3 hours ago, Gone Drinking said:

Ha ha ha. Ooooooo did my words hurt you. And bringing my mom into this. How old are you? 12?  You asshole, or do you prefer to be called a fucking count. How's that for derogatory

?? A count? That should be capitalized, for starters. And it's pretty obvious that G is an Earl if not a Duke

- DSK

The problem is he put covid infected patients into nursing homes which spread it very broadly to the other residents. 

Many extra people died!  Can also cite an AP report.    A nursing home a couple of miles from me had 30 quick deaths attributable to this action.  (and Fred, you have become an abomination. And no, I will not reply to any insults)

https://www.radio.com/wben/news/politics/praised-early-in-pandemic-cuomo-now-panned-on-nursing-homes

Edited by NYBOZO1
added comment
1 hour ago, NYBOZO1 said:

The problem is he put covid infected patients into nursing homes which spread it very broadly to the other residents. 

Many extra people died!  Can also cite an AP report.    A nursing home a couple of miles from me had 30 quick deaths attributable to this action.  (and Fred, you have become an abomination. And no, I will not reply to any insults)

https://www.radio.com/wben/news/politics/praised-early-in-pandemic-cuomo-now-panned-on-nursing-homes

Except the numbers don't support that narrative, at all. 

If it was true, nursing home deaths would be a (much) larger share of overall deaths.  Nursing home resident deaths, as a proportion of overall deaths, is lower, in NY, than in most other States.  

The issue is that it's hard to say by exactly how much.  Because NY doesn't collect its data the same way as most other States.  In NY, "nursing home deaths" = "died in a nursing home".  In other States, it means "lived in a nursing home, died (no matter where they died)". 

Andy tried to tout those numbers as proof that his order didn't have the effect people are accusing it of having.  Which was bullshit: they're not comparable, obviously.  NY under-reports the nursing-home share, compared to other States. 

But estimates of the actual numbers, so far, still back him up.  If you add 50% to NY's number (as per the recent AG report) NY still comes out better than most States.  That's just fact.

How could that be?  It defies all common sense!  Well, no, it doesn't.

The order didn't release nursing homes from having to keep covid-positive or suspected-positive residents quarantined from non-covid residents, served by separate staff.  Didn't release them from having to provide staff with training, sufficient PPE, paid sick leave if they caught it, and so on.  The order said that if a home couldn't follow those protocols, they should transfer the resident to a home that could. 

A lot of States don't have similar regulations.  ND, for example, allows covid+ nurses to keep working... which is turning out to be more deadly than Cuomo's order.

The main problem with that order, is it provided an opportunity for the sub-standard nursing homes (the ones that allowed staff to work both populations, the ones that didn't provide sufficient PPE, the ones that couldn't let people take time off whilst positive ... etc.) to deflect attention and shift blame. 

• Like 1
On 2/12/2021 at 10:45 PM, Remodel said:

I agree it was slimy and reprehensible, and Cuomo shaould be held accountable if he is culpable. Does that make him worse than the governors of Florida and Texas that also under reported covid deaths?

no

33 minutes ago, dacapo said:

no

I think Dog would disagree with you since he only focuses on the foibles of blue state governors.